Deep into Spring comes Frivolity and Wrath

Deep into Spring comes Frivolity and Wrath

Postby Glenn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:05 am

This year, the thaw came late to the Amasynian Province. Late, however, was still well over two months ago. The letters had been sent late, later than he had wanted, but the words had been harder to find than he had expected. The ground was moving underneath him. That did not help. With Jyonriel it had been easy, if vague. She had only known him before. With someone who might have only known him after (Kacela perhaps, had he thought her to be literate in the first place), it would have been easy as well. This, on the other hand, was more difficult by far.

Messengers were sent to each province (except for Northern New Dauntless, for no joy would be ever find itself so far north, and Lothaine because nothing ever found itself out of there anyway). Unlike with Jynoriel, they simply were to leave the messages with simple instructions and promise of further payment were a response to be sent back.

When the thaw came, when spring began to inch into summer, when people's passions started to flair and their minds began to demand entertainment and escape, the carnival might come. With it, might come her, flamboyant and colorful, the loudest and most brazen woman that they might ever see.

Dali,

I have such excuses. Some you would even find interesting. You'd make an act out of one, a daring jump out of a window into a land of darkness, all to preserve one's (I stop here, but know it would be much more believable and engaging if you were to make it yours instead of mine, though it is all true).

What matters is this: I was a foolish mortal who tried, all on his own, to handle things well beyond him. In succeeding, I fell far more than if I would have failed. Then, I fell further. When you saw me again, I was lost. It's a shame you didn't find me. That might have saved everyone quite a bit of pain and grief. I could not feel my emotions, not as most people do, and really, what are you but a conduit for one's heart. Obviously we could no longer connect.

Instead, you took me at my word, out of regard and friendship. The one thing to be thankful for is that my actions drove you from Myrken. It meant that you were not there for what followed. Tampering with Catch pushed Rhaena past a final point. She went mad, overthrew me, and began to conform Myrken to her wishes. At the end, while I was literally trapped in a horror of my own making, she was killed. I was well on the way to finding my sanity once more by that point but it was all far too late. I found myself but everything was already lost.

It has been two years in exile. I am in Rasazan. I do not seek amends. I've sought to to answer lingering questions and to express certain feelings, but amends just isn't the right word. With you, I'm not entirely sure what I look for. You have knowledge that I do not want. In this you will not believe me, and perhaps I do not believe myself, but I have closed off that particular avenue of exploration. I no longer feel that I have the moral high ground to follow it. You have knowledge I do want. I have been questioning certain beliefs, ideals, perhaps? I try to find my place in the world and I try to find humanity's as well.

I look to not repeat my previous mistakes and I think a correspondence with you, along with certain others, might allow me to better avoid such fool hubris.

This letter has been copied and sent wide and far. One never knows where you might arrive, after all. You may see it twice or three times, then. That I will certainly apologize for.

Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

Return to Other