A Day of Sewing

A Day of Sewing

Postby Treadwell » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:27 am

Two in the afternoon of the ninth day of the third month, 218 AR.
Tready's Toys.
Treadwell's bedroom in the back.

"Thank you, Nicholas!" comes the merry squeak from the old man lying abed in a yellow tunic and blue trousers. Granted, the trousers are hidden away beneath the ample bedsheets. Said old fellow is taking things easily today. The toy store is officially closed, for once, so that he can use the day to catch up on sewing some new stock. He has a full stomach. The fireplace on the opposite side of the wall is doing a splendid job of keeping the building sufficiently warm. In his hands, now, are needles and thread (in his left) and the basket of just retrieved yarns and stuffings and the like (in his right).

The Nicholas in question is, of course, Aloisius Treadwell's third oldest child, behind Babette and Gideon by the toymaker's first wife, Blanche. Now thirteen and a loyal Tubbian follower under his father's and uncle's combined tutelage, the sandy blond young man has long since started following in his elder's footsteps, filling out round and large. Today, he dresses just like his father, in matching colors from top to bottom, and he grins, beaming happily that he found everything that was requested.

"You are welcome, Father. What else would you have me do? I can paint a few more toys for you in the shop if you need."

"Actually, son, mmph mmph, I could use your help in here, I think. I will be sewing, mmph, all day to make more animals. You have a good hand and eye for it, hm, so you ought to join me. There! The couch by the bed!"

Onto said couch the teenage Treadwell settles with a deflating wheeeeeze. He then worms forward a little to take up enough yarn and stuffing to put into a separate basket by the bed before retrieving his own needles.

"I want to fill up the front table by tonight, mmph, with a right barnyard of animals, m'boy. Think you that we can do such?"

"Of course, Father!" A blush floods the young man's face. "Can we leave some time for snacks?"

Jolly laughter rolls and ripples free from Aloisius Treadwell. "I would do no less!"
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Return to Myrken Wood