Orientation

Orientation

Postby Glenn » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:35 am

A letter would arrive to Darkenhold, the first of many, many letters. It was addressed to

Farsiris, Secretary General to the Marshall of Myrken Wood, Ariane Emory

The instructions given to the messenger were simple. Drop it off and then leave, quickly, before the intended recipient could see it and act accordingly.

Siris,

I'm just kidding. You haven't been drafted. Officially. Unofficially, I'm sure you will have some minor responsibilities in that area and thus am sorry (I'm not really sorry). For likely petty and completely ridiculous, and of course absolutely practical, reasons, I am going to filter, at the least, the first few of these missives to the Marshall through you. While I know Ariane quite well, I fully admit that corresponding to her in this manner is an unexplored territory to me and I suspect you have higher facilities (in many things, but most especially) in feeding information to her in the most efficient manner. Attached is a brief summation of the responsibilities of the position. Other letters will follow with my thoughts on specific threats and things to keep watch for.

Yours fondly,
The Governor

Attached would be a second note with a number one marked on the top of it.

The Responsibilities of the Marshall of Myrken Wood

Ariane, as you well know, our defense has been provided through a number of sources over the years: Straka. Janeiro, so on. Helstone and Cinnabar, in the face of the challenges they endured during their reigns as Governor, created very much the current system we have. Constabulary for internal threats of a normal scale. Militia (voluntary) for more external issues where larger numbers much be massed. During planting and harvest times, training is relatively minimal. During the summer and winter, rather more so. Simply put, the Marshall, you, is in charge of the Militia. Your responsibilities are as follows in as plain a language as possible:

-To train the Militia;
-To command the Militia in any military activity, both in the developing of strategy and the actual physical command;
-To provide the Governor's Office with any request for necessary supplies/weapons/etc so that we can provide you with such;
-To liaise with the Constabulary in dealing with threats which blur the line between jurisdictions (as in: most);
-To serve as one third of the Defense Committee with Agnieszka and the third such member, providing one third of the vote;
-To attend Council meetings and report on the status of the Militia to the Council.

Power in Myrken is a fluid thing. You can stretch it or pull back upon it as is appropriate. For instance, the previous Marshall saw it fitting to oversee the creation of an open area, multi-purpose training ground.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Of Continuity and Complex Connections

Postby Glenn » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:58 am

The notes would continue, even without a response from the new Marshall.

Renea Sundance:

To be honest, I wasn't sure where to start. What just happened? The biggest threats? How we reached this point. In the end, you need all of this information, or you don't. I'm going to give it all to you and you'll process it, or you won't. So we'll start with your predecessor.

Renea arrived to Myrken around a year ago. She possessed military experience, a desire to put down roots, and that do-gooder mentality that reminded me a bit of Quincy. She wanted a home and she wanted to defend it. She wanted to do what she felt was right. She wanted to make a difference. It was a convincing combination of skill, determination, and enthusiasm. I gave her the usual warnings of how Myrken would make a monster of her, had young Genvieve Tolleson, a particularly promising member of the line of plucky Thessilnian females come to Myrken to escape the chains of their destiny and make something of themselves, interrogate her, and gave her the position of Marshall for lack of a better choice.

Most notable of Genvieve's discoveries was a connection to Lamai. I never entirely worked it out. It never fails to amaze me just how many people we encounter are somehow connected to her. I meant to have Renea write it all out for me, but the opportunity never arose.

She proved to be particular capable in certain specific areas: She was ambitious in increasing the deftness and unity of the militia, overseeing a heavy training regiment and overseeing the construction of the open-air training grounds. She took personal responsibility (in the most caring sense) of Catch, of whom I will write of at great length later; when he assaulted Treadwell for the third time and kidnapped a small child (two separate incidents), she stayed with him in the gaol until he destroyed it. Not smart, but dedicated and brave.

Unfortunately, she also showed a dangerous impulsiveness and an equally dangerous stubbornness when she felt like she was sufficiently involved. She disrupted a dangerous ritual that Aleksei (musings to come) was undertaking and inadvertantly saw to the release of dangerous Thessilanian demons into Myrken (more musings to come). Then, instead of staying for debriefing, she rushed off to Thessilane in order to try to make things right. You can imagine how Agnieszka reacted.

I sent Giuseppe after her and while he saw her to be innocent of treason, her behavior in Thessilane was not exactly brimming with diplomacy and good sense. On their way back to Myrken, they were overtaken by Catch and Jarod (file to come), a dangerous being, apparently empowered by Catch somehow. He was also her adopted son from before her time in Myrken (And therefore likely connected to Lamai somehow. It gives me a headache). Giuseppe was taken. I've not spoken to him sense. She returned to Myrken ten years younger and with her 'soul' apparently stolen, whatever that means. Aleksei knows more about this exact process.

Regardless, a few months later she was killed by an unknown assailant. Jirai has taken credit for this and there is evidence it was a drow, but we remain unconvinced. I should have burnt her body then and there but given the strange state of her 'soul' and the unsolved mystery surrounding her death, I wanted Aleksei to do more tests. Before we could make any real headway in the matter, she rose back to life, healed and marched to the Dagger, found herself in a battle and dragged herself home to her family (a husband and children, newly transported to Myrken; again, I had no idea and cannot fully explain things; as I said: headache).

Word spread quickly around town. You can imagine the result. Apparently her husband can raise magic of some sort, which only incensed the growing mob more. Catch became involved, violently. The mysterious Jarod came to assault me. I tried to negotiate for her soul but it was like talking to a hairy brick wall. That it ended as well as it did was a minor miracle owing to some quick thinking and a great deal of dumb luck. Very shortly thereafter, I provided her with a means to move her family out of Myrken safely. I still hope to recover her 'soul' at some point. It would be nice to solve her 'murder' too, but every day the trail grows colder.

She leaves you with a fairly well organized, if not understandably shaken militia. You bring them a level of familiarity and reassurance that is sorely needed.

Do not hesitate to ask questions. Obviously there will be files to come on key players mentioned above.

Yours,
Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

Re: Orientation

Postby Carnath-Emory » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:04 am

Glenn Burnie

Rhetorically: would the damage to Myrken, not Sundance, have been significantly greater had an upset Catch been left alone to suffer the confinement he cannot bear? If she knew herself capable of returning to life from death her decision was dedicated but not foolish. From where is her soul to be recovered and by what means? For what reason is it believed Jirai is not responsible for Sundance's death? Do you imply a success?

The best order: Thessilanian demons -- Catch -- Aleksei (Alexi River?) -- Jarod. However the mysterious Jarod came to assault me, his persisting presence removes him to the head of that list. I can confirm his connection to Lamai and that of the archer hunting the woods which border the Broken Dagger tavern and who was of last night taken to placed under Constabulary guard.

The Militia is very much improved, I would not two years ago have thought to find capable archers amongst their number, the quality of the training arena is what you would expect from a competent officer with long military experience.

Requisitions:
8 shovels, quality unimportant.
homespun fabric, 2 yards each: red, yellow, green, orange.
a letter for 'Siris containing instructions regarding the correct addressing of future requests.

- Ariane

Carnath-Emory

Hell if I Know

Postby Glenn » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:27 am

Rhetorically: I would have found a different way to deal with Catch other than putting him in a cell. I bowed to Renea on that point due to not wanting to step on her toes right after I gave her the position. Jarod (see below) has (had?) the 'soul.' This was a surprise to Renea, herself. I needed more information before getting it back, but I do intend to try, for her sake. As for the murder, not Jirai's style, especially now. Neck sliced from behind. No taunting. No game of it. She is more erratic than ever right now. She wouldn't just kill someone like that, especially not a target like Renea. She kills for pleasure. There would be none in that.

Jarod:

Hell if I know. From what I understand something happened yesterday, but I'm still working out what. Generally I give you edited versions of this information, but I'm going to just tell you everything I know here.

-Renea's son or adopted son
-Some connection to Lamai
-Adult body, childlike mind, needs to shave
-Cannot be reasoned with. I tried. If I can't do it, no one can.
-Possesses Renea's 'soul'
-Feeds off Catch's power? That seems a good tool to deaging someone and he deaged Renea when he took her soul
-Lives in the hills (In a hole)
-Tried to choke me from behind
-Has vague "nature magic/connection"
-Has more to do with maggots than either Agnie or myself, no matter what Catch says. I smacked a door in his face and he bled out blood maggots. It was disquieting
-Throws books. Thinking of making that a crime (Joke, but he really threw a book at me)

I was literally a day away from sending a Constable to try to get the soul back. Really, next time let's have me explain something that makes complete sense, like Catch.

Your items are being sent separately, including the letter for Siris.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Carnath-Emory » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:14 am

Glenn Burnie

-Renea's son or adopted son.
-Jarod was surely adopted as he is also
-Lamai's brother. What this signifies regarding the relation between Renea and Lamai I neither know nor care.
-Possesses Renea's 'soul'? This becomes complicated as he is also
-Dead.

I do not fully understand the circumstances which led to Jarod's death. What is beyond dispute is only this: that Thadius Dhrin claimed responsibility for Jarod's murder, in his hand a blooded knife. That Jarod's corpse was taken into the safekeeping of the several Companions who moved as Lamai's guard last night, as she wished the body removed from Myrken before it might be burned. That Thadius Dhrin was duly executed but in such a way that there remains no corpse to be burned, not even ashes nor bloodstains nor even the slightest piece of dust.

Regarding these details a second letter accompanies, for the Constabulary's use or for its files. 'Siris requests a name to which such notices might be addressed in the future. I think that you will read this one regardless of whose name is inked upon the front and this is as it should be.

-Feeds off Catch's power? I do not understand this and I do not pretend to. Certain is only this: that Catch's affection for Jarod was very clear last night and that his sense of responsibility towards Jarod was also clear following the assault which I mentioned. If he did not actually feed himself with Catch's power there was, I think having experienced both Ca
-Did Jarod actually leak blood maggots?

-Ariane

Carnath-Emory

Postby Glenn » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:29 am

Lamai's brother?
Dhrin.

Well, that's something. Alright, so let's review: Jarod, gone from Myrken. Dead. Lamai, gone from Myrken. With the body. Dhrin, dead enough that you're calling him dead. While I would have rather spent years kindly fostering and understanding Jarod so that he could become a productive member of society or something tedious and headache-inducing along those lines (he threw a book at me and tried to choke me to death; also blood maggots all over the floor of my office - I didn't make that up), I am calling that night a resounding win. Someone will have to send a letter to Lamai about Renea's soul in light of all this. I told her (Renea) I'd try to get it back. I nominate Aleksei to send that letter.

I will send that information to Siris.

Catch, then:

I could spend hours explaining Catch to you. Calomel could spend hours explaining Catch to you. Kacela (werewolf) could spend minutes explaining Catch to you. Lamai could spend hours explaining Catch to you. Aleksei could spend a day and a half explaining Catch to you. Basically, everyone in town could spend time explaining Catch to you except for Treadwell (who has been attacked twice by him). You would come away with an endless amount of different perspectives and perhaps not closer at all to knowing who he is.

He's an ancient being. His people lived amongst nature. Picture a Unicorn. Considering Hrimfax, is that a stretch? He was pure, powerful. He was led to a golden city, betrayed or transformed. Broken. This was forever ago. Since then, where he goes manipulation follows, always leading to destruction.

He is simple. He is connected to nature. He loves animals. He loves babies. He loves his friends. He wants everyone to be his friend. He is frightened of certain triggers (Treadwell is one: he calls him the Fat Man, the Butcher, Treadwell reminds him of someone in his past). He often sees truth, inherit truth, but cannot explain it except for through metaphor and symbols.

He is often pure instinct, guided only loosely by the greater chains of society. He can be taught but what he learns may be overwhelmed by what he wants in the moment. He is physically stronger than he realizes. His blood can heal. He can heal without it as well. His blood brings forth hallucinations if consumed. When triggered (either by a strong malevolent or powerful personality nearby or by some sort of trauma), he can bring forth tendrils of energy which can attack, bind, toss someone about, etc. He can change into a more bestial equine (horselike) form that is best described as a "nature god."

Cinnabar has been working with him, to mixed results. He insists that kindness is the only solution. To try to kill him would lead to Myrken's destruction. Still, Cinnabar is the one you should speak with. There are so many details, Ariane. A horn at the bottom of the lake. A giant spider. Faeryl. Jarod. Pigs. Wolves. Maggots. Memories. So much. He cut me open, gutted me. He healed my broken leg. I've set up lodging for him with two Constable brothers. And I think we're going to make a shack for him behind the dagger. The story of Myrken since you left is very much the story of Catch. It's hardly a happy one and everyday we walk a tightrope (metaphor) in order to make sure it does not have the worst ending imaginable.
Glenn
Co-Founder

A request

Postby Glenn » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:18 pm

Another letter would arrive hours later.

Sorry, Ariane,

Forgot this.

What do you know about Solena? I know exceptionally little.

Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Carnath-Emory » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:31 am

Glenn Burnie

Small. Unpleasant. My experience of her, not her appearance. (This is not a joke)

It has never been easy between Solena and I. It has been many years since I've thought of her and now that you ask I find that the passing of all those years has done nothing to change my opinion. She is talented with a knife, exceptional with a bow, a thief of particular skill and inclined towards treachery as a means to an end or for the satisfaction of a whim. She is no fool, neither is she quite incapable of kindness or even generosity.

Do you know the old story told of roses and thorns?

Sometimes Solena cannot see the differences between them.

-Ariane

Carnath-Emory

Of Limitations and the Eight

Postby Glenn » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:21 am

Ariane,

I fear that you are going to get overwhelmed by the words I send you but given what happened with Jarod, a being so far down my initial list, proves that everyday you go without this information is a day that you are left vulnerable. I would not have that.

My thanks for your reply. It left me missing our morning repasts (ripostes?) of years gone by. This is an imperfect method and I admit it, but we work with what we have.

The Eight

Thesshole trash dumped in our backyard once again.

There's a lot you don't need to know. Here is what you do need (and I'm a little unclear about some of this too; sorry):

Ancient Thessilane Gods. Thrust Down. Exiled. Etc. There were eight of them. Tied somehow to Aeryn's 'cursed' bloodline. How one generally pictures demons? That's them. They have a whole world of minions, underlings, demons. An underworld of them, though it's probably more like some other dimension. Not important. They have all manner of creepy crawly monsters. All types. It's a headache.

Aeryn (completely insane) found himself more and more possessed by one of them in the form of an ax. He began to sacrifice humans to them. We, obviously annoyed, sent to Thessilane for more information. Cristoph (arrogant ass) sent us an ancient book, one of those grimores bound with human flesh with knowledge of the Eight and how to bind their minions. The book was cursed and I am fairly certain was affecting his mind (preying on ego and greed), despite protections he claimed to use. We'll get to that.

Agnie and Aleksei (in their infinite wisdom) decided to keep the book away from me and examine it themselves. There were bindings and safeguards but Renea's untimely drunken stumblings led to the bindings being torn apart and the Eight more fully unleashed in Myrken. This is when Renea (untimely and intoxicated, at best) ran off to fix her mistake and Agony shouted TREASON, again, and so forth.

Immediately thereafter your fellow Committee member Mr. K (Fire and Tea) was attacked and nearly killed (his homestaff WAS killed) by a creature in the form of Jons Feul (bully, but obviously we wouldn't be having this 'talk' without him). He managed to slay it but its head, decapitated, grew legs and skittered off. The head was followed into the woods to indecisive results.

I finally was able to get my hands upon the book, with Niall (anti-social, cost me a horse, file to follow) as magical back up. It tried to tempt me in a thousand ways, if only I were to just use its magic, but I learned all I could from it, exhausted it, and trapped it with a mathematical formula, sealing it away. It responded by defiling part of the meeting house in the most disgusting of ways. Lesson: if you get a cursed book, bring it to me first.

Meanwhile, the body count continued to rise. (As an aside: there is reason to believe that Catch saw the Eight as a thing of pure and natural beauty and tried to unwittingly foster their power, we'll get to that when we talk about Aleksei. Catch is drawn to shiny things, shiny and dark most of all). Personally, I think they came to Myrken because they could not unveil themselves under Burel's watchful eye in Thessilane. They would gain freedom and strength here, after tricking and tempting Cristoph and then return to conquer their homeland. Here is how it ended: Aleksei and Agnie killed Aeryn. The cursed axe bonded with Aleksei; the demon (whose name is stupid and hard to pronounce) bonded to him as well. (I do think this is when Agnie bonded with Aleksei as well, which is what led to their ridiculous, ill-thought out, marriage. Holding hands while killing one's former lover is not a solid foundation for a relationship.)

This ended the immediate threat of the Eight, but the demon was still within Aleksei, balanced by the other mystical being within him. It's been sealed away since, but I'll cover that when I next write. Of Aleksei.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Carnath-Emory » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:30 am

Glenn Burnie

Is that a pun? Repasts, ripostes. I don't understand the appeal. The 'r'Chy'laud are very fond of these. I still do not understand.

These things which you write are essential information. None of this would have changed my encounter with Jarod but it answered my only question involving him: he approached an enraged Catch, his approach was very aggressive, given the presence at that time of the archer presently held in the Rememdium I did not know whether his interest was Catch or vengeance. Knowing would have changed nothing, as he engaged us immediately with his magicking, it is nothing against which I could defend and he was so highly uninterested in judging the situation before attacking it. But if I speak of this with Catch at some future moment it will be one less question to ask.

I may ask it anyway. Speaking with Catch is always interesting. Interesting is the least of what it is. But sometimes, I think, it is even better to ask Catch of a thing to which I already know the answer, so that I may hear his answer. He is almost always right, and he is more right than words written on a page could hope to be and in ways that I do not know, or do not realise that I know until he speaks his words. I think this is a thing which you already know. If by some very small chance you do not, it is only because you have not yet found the right questions or listened with the right ears.

I could spend hours writing of Catch and I have not even had hours with him yet. There is a more immediate thing and it is only this: Dhrin is as dead as I know how to kill a thing. His throat was opened with the knife with which he slew that Jarod and following this I was given an artifact and an instruction by a thing which came to accompany Lamai (not one of the Companions). I do not know if it reckoned then that I meant her harm, but by our work's conclusion it understood what we intended for Dhrin and explained that the artifact would destroy his remains in such a manner that they could not be of use for any sort of magicking at all.

Aleksei (his name should not be spelled in this way) insists to me that there exists such a thing as a soul, Lamai of course always has, I am not myself convinced. If there is indeed such a thing Dhrin's body is obliterated but his 'soul' has not. What this means for his future and Myrken's I do not know but perhaps might question Alexei when next we speak.

-Ariane

Carnath-Emory

A Second Attempt

Postby Glenn » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:14 am

Ariane,

I had written two previous letters, one explaining puns and the second showing immense frustration with Aleksei River. The first is probably a luxury we don't have and the second is more suited for Cinnabar's eyes. I will say this instead:

Years ago, you accompanied Rhaena and myself to visit the Ashfiend in his lair. We lacked information and in the lacking, were exceptionally vulnerable. We had no point of context, no grounding to understand what we faced. We came out of that meeting with far more than we came in with. I return to the Dagger and thinking Cinnabar would be pleased with what we learned, I tell him. His response? He throws me fifteen feet across the room.

There are windows here in Myrken. I would throw Aleksei through a good many of them. He would deserve it.

Aleksei River is everything Agnieszka always hated about outsiders come to Myrken. I say this not to point a finger at her, but because it is the best way to describe him. He comes from a land of magic and tyranny. One of those place I might have visited on my "tour." A place of hubris. We've spoken of hubris before. A place that deserves far worse than it has gotten. He was used by great powers there. Trained. Given secrets. Made an agent. Bound to a "celestial," or some wretched magical creature named thusly. A powerful winged being that we're supposed to think is a holy beauty to be revered and worshiped. I picture her literally shoved down his throat one feather at a time. It makes the entire thing more palatable.

Then he did the most interesting, admirable thing. He ran away. Raised to serve a role, used by powers, he ran away to find freedom and a life for himself. You see why I let him close to me? The being in his head changed him, yes, affected him; they SPOKE. Even if it was mostly benign, he was no longer human, no longer fully in control of his own actions. He claims to have wanted to protect "her," but my guess is that "she" had no small influence over him. Despite that, again admirably, he wanted to act human. He wanted not to draw on that power. Admirable and rather hypocritical. Having one's cake and eating it too.

As I said, he's everything Agnie thought to hate about me when I arrived. An Outsider, full of book learning, thinking he had all the answers, that he could handle our problems better than we can, except for I didn't have nearly the sort of book learning as he did and I only thought I had a few of the answers. I also didn't have a magical being living in my head. Aleksei does not understand. He's incapable of it given his background. He doesn't understand that we have to take small, steady steps. He doesn't understand what the average Myrkenite feels. He sees them as ignorant and small minded, superstitious. He pities them. He couldn't understand them any more than they could understand him. Yet he is willing to listen to reason. Listen and then, very likely, not let what he heard change his viewpoint. He tries.

He is also absolutely invaluable to me. Without him, my magical options are Niall and Nova (files to come, but both are poor, unreliable choices). Not "magical options" as in me going to him and saying, "Wizard! Shoot lightning at my enemy!" but magical in just understanding what is going on. Someone takes Renea's 'soul,' for instance. This is not something I know how to discern and understand, nor is that a skill I necessarily want. So when something happens, I rely on Aleksei to explain it to me. Therefore he possesses a vague position as an independent agent of my Inquisitory (file to follow). He is also training a few select Constables to better combat magical threats. In return, I gave him Roschen's old shop as a residence and a proper stipend. He's learned in a number of other useful areas as well, engineering for one. He is persistent, able to focus on multiple tasks at once, and most of all, intent on doing good and helping. We're better off for his presence. He is a friend.

It is not all happy sunshine, however. He's prideful, arrogant, absent-minded, prone to go off and do what he thinks is best in spite of my council, or orders, or the need to come to me at all. As I said, he will take large steps when little ones will suffice. Often times, these steps involve patently ridiculous magic concepts, things we are best not meddling with. For someone who wishes to find peaceful, human solutions, he has gotten into more fights against dangerous creatures (and books) than you would think. Situations where I would talk my way through. He lacks the people skills to manage this.

When the 'god' of the Eight left dying Aeryn, it entered into Aleksei. It was counterbalanced by the "goddess" in his head but slowly began to corrupt both him and 'her'. His solution would be to banish one but not the other into some other dimension. It made my head hurt. I countered that he should banish both away. He was reluctant to do this. In the meantime, while I was searching for other solutions, Catch was moved to increasingly violent ends to "free the god" from Aleksei's head, prompting him to move forward with the banishing on his own, without support or oversight. Both 'god' and 'goddess' were taken from his body. According to Lamai, certain flecks of the cursed ax, and thus the 'god,' remain within him but their influence are exceptionally slight. He is now mostly human but still possesses certain preternatural abilities and traits. Again, a headache.

Finally, he is considered a criminal by his homeland for stealing away the 'celestial,' his sword, and himself (he was considered property of their crown). Two of his fellows came to me to negotiate his return, trying to bribe me with all sorts of magic commerce. I stalled. Now that the 'goddess' is gone from Aleksei, I suspect they'll be less interested in retrieving him. If it comes to it, I will go to more than reasonable lengths to ensure his freedom.

In short, he means well, but has a long way to go. I hope that Agnieszka can at least open his eyes partially to the truths in our hearts. If not, he, she, and perhaps all of us will have far more tragedy ahead.

I will respond to your comments about Catch and Dhrin in my next missive.

Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Carnath-Emory » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:35 am

Glenn Burnie

This is an imperfect method. Sometimes it is also an interesting method. There are things which seem very sensible when written down as words that would not, I think, if spoken with a voice. The ones who came to retrieve Aleksei described him in the way that 'Siris would describe any fruitful investment, or for that matter any thief worth notice. To write this thing is to see it as a transaction upon a page. To have it spoken would to be to hear an outrage wanting for condemnation.

When first Aleksei River came to me and we spoke of some of these things, I asked of him one very difficult question. It was cruel, to ask this thing or even to think of it. A moment passed before he could answer and this was not that he hesitated, I think, but that he prepared himself to say the words which were to come. Instead of the many other things which he might have done (up to his feet again and very loudly, accusation, condemnation, the drawing of steel or of things more arcane, a bloody retribution) he spoke his answer and honestly. To ask this was neizbezhnost raskayanie, and it is not the asking I regret but his circumstances.

I am glad that he is a friend. I have said that we spoke and that it was at times a difficult conversation. Given its purpose it would also have been a very short conversation if not for the qualities which you described and also this: he questions. He questions what Authority exists around him, he questions the nature of those who he speaks with, deals with daily. He does not question his principles but he questions his self.

Sometimes however it is only his good-heartedness that answers those questions. And sometimes it is only his eagerness. As you said, hubris. Of an uncommon sort. Draw a line, place Helstone's name upon one distant end and Aleksei River's upon the opposite.

Rhetorically: how did Aleksei know his thoughts from his thing's thoughts? When his thing spoke to him. When he (they) spoke to you. Aleksei River fled that place and was right to, and perhaps it was not in fact Aleksei which fled because Aleksei as he was, and who did the things which he did, does not now exist. But this remains rhetorical because even if the answer is Yes it matters very little, for we have never known that first Aleksei and never will even although the thing is removed from him. You understand my interest in this.

The necessary order: Inquisitory, Niall, Nova, Kacela (werewolf?).

-Ariane

You did not deserve it.

Carnath-Emory

Old Business and New

Postby Glenn » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:29 am

Catch sees truth in people. Not the truth but A truth. For instance, back to our beloved hatchetwoman, she who judges, who speaks with the heart of Myrken, or did before that unfortunate Razasan influence made her see things slightly askew. Catch sees nothing in Agony but "maggots." Is that an element of her? Perhaps.Is it an element others cannot see? Perhaps, but there is so much more within her. Hopes. Angers. Loyalties. Love. Passion. Doubt and Confidence. Memories and Fears. He looks at Agnieszka Kaczmarek (I spent too long learning how to spell Kaczmarek to call her Agnieszka River. River isn't even his real name, you know. At least Kaczmarek is a real name. It doesn't get much more so than that. He can be Aleksei Kaczmarek. I'm sure Dom would love that) and he sees "maggots" and nothing more. Never forget that.

Dhrin. There's been some talk of Renne being seen, Bromn of course. The dreams returning. Our friend with the eyes I am not to stare at who shall visit me soon. Galacia. Hints of rings and feathers (once I have something meaningful to tell you, I will send a file. Aleksei looks into it). Things are in motion. A least some are connected. If Dhrin truly is dead (body or no), I am gladdened for it is one less issue and he was, unlike others, without redeeming factors. I never did meet him. If it helps, Galacia was possessing Bromn but I drew her out and he should be mostly free now. We can speak of her later.

Niall shall follow after a quick insertion.

Zilliah:

The purpose of these letters, above all else, is to provide you with information so you are not taken by surprise. You know of Lamai for instance. You do not know of Zilliah. It is important you are not taken by surprise by him or else there will be bloodshed. He is a fae. Not a tiny fairy of the sort that supposedly captured Treadwell years ago and live under the porch of the Dagger (No file to follow). He is more like an elf with retractable wings. He looks an annoyingly pretty teenage boy, the kind that creates within any reasonable person the need to maim and disfigure. Long white hair. Ears. A jewel lodged in his forehead (a focus to his power?). He is a crafter of mystical jewelry (though he likely did not craft his own jewel). A mentalist without Rhaena's restraint. There are signs that he reads emotions more than thoughts but nonetheless he nudges people like puppets. If he has any redeeming qualities, I have yet to find them.

I first encountered him upon Bromn's arm a few years back. He is petty and impulsive and acts often without thinking. He is not human and responds as fickle as one would expect of his kind. He attaches himself to anyone who would have him. I attempted to learn more about Catch through him. I also attempted to push him off the roof of the Dagger. Neither accomplished much. Catch hates him with a passion and calls him "Cloud-Hair." Catch, in general, does not approve of mental manipulation any more than you do. He is not to be trusted, not even because of guile, but simply due to his fairy nature. He may serve as a useful but dangerous tool, but is not the sort I could or would ever see you wield. If he tries to manipulate you, you have full dispensation to end him.

Niall:

Niall is a young lady (no longer a child) from another dimension, one of war and endless strife. It's the sort of place that makes my voyages look almost pleasant from what I've been able to surmise. She came here, wholly by accident, with the now missing (travelling) archmage Kyra, who was instrumental in sealing away the Fiend. All indications point to her life before Myrken making our lives look a lovely picnic in comparison. You know I do not say that lightly. It shows in her personality. Caustic. Confused. Simple luxuries are beyond her. Survival is everything. Over the years, she's come to understand certain things, but it is still a unique and alien experience to speak with her.

She's been in Myrken for four years or so, perhaps a little longer. Kyra saw herself as a goddess and humans as her flock. She was from a different tribe in Niall's world, but Niall respected and obeyed her. It was through Kyra's commands that the girl aided us, and she has aided us over the years, albeit reluctantly. She is a mage of no small skill, though much of her power is instinctual. Aleksei understands the theory behind problems. Niall knows how to stop them and how to blow them up. Much of her magic power seems focused through specific tattoos on her body.

Her vows to Kyra mean less now than ever before given the older woman's absence. Always, the hardest part in working with her is convincing her to help. Boredom is a push. Protecting the weak another, but not always. If she thinks it a lost cause she may not see the worth in expending effort. She calls Catch some silly term I can't remember, something wild and crazy and unbound. She sees him as something dangerous that cannot be helped.

Years ago, when I was in danger, she healed me. In exchange I pay for her bartab. Recently she helped me with the demonic book through an appeal to the risk i was taking for Myrken and that I was to do it with or without it. She enchants weapons (for sharpness and strength) in exchange for funds for a horse, and so on. There's also a squire boy she's close to, if we really needed to get through to her for some reason.

Given her unpredictable and prickly personality, she cannot be relied upon but we have so few options that in any emergency, it's at least worth trying. Likewise, it's worth making sure she doesn't have reason to turn on our people. If she does the destruction may be on the level of a channeler gone mad.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Carnath-Emory » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:54 am

Glenn Burnie

Feathers: actual or crafted from paper?
Rings: of what colour and substance?
You understand that these are not idle questions.

-Ariane

There is to be no 'Celebration' whatsoever and if you persist in arranging such a thing you will find me very much absent from it.

Carnath-Emory

Postby Glenn » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:32 am

Ariane,

I'll get information. Give me another day. Aleksei may not have the necessary background to deal with this. I understand.

As for celebrations, I only ever stage one when it i's a trap. Every time we have a celebration in Myrken, something horrible happens. The exception might be Cinnabar's wedding, but I've already explained to you how that was horrible. That is why I have not gotten married to Rhaena.

Hubris.

There is no celebration planned by me. Rhaena may be up to something for Agnieszka and Aleksei. I will not fault you if you don't want to attend.

Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

Next

Return to Myrken Wood