Meat on the bones of a building.

Meat on the bones of a building.

Postby channe » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:17 pm

There was a building in the middle of town --

-- not really a building, no, but an eyesore --

-- and today Petronela Kaczmarek, in green and gold and pearl-laden hair-pins, surrounded by five of her teahouse girls, her brother Dominik and four of his masonry-crew, are working to clear the site. Dominik pauses every so often to check the plans, the beautiful plans, the glorious plans -- and Petronela and the girls stop everyone they can in the street to solicit support for the teahouse owner's new venture. It will be a wonderful place, she says, with soaring rafters and beautiful carved tables, where people who could not afford to eat well would be served like kings. They would be dressed in wonderful clothes and taught proper manners. They would be guaranteed food. They would be taught to exceed their station, not simply meet it.

My family was once like yours, she would say to the poor women, their teeth knocked out and their knees a-knock with scurvy. We were like yours. And then we met Rhaena Burnie. Yes, she's my sister's best friend. She was the one that brought us out of darkness. She can help you, too!

That's not exactly how it happened, thinks Dominik, wiping stone-dust on his pants. But he says nothing to his sister about it. Not right now, at least.

Because there is wonderful work to be done.

For many of the passersby, rattled by the heat and frightened that the crops might wither, any guaranteed food is wonderful news.

Isn't it?
channe

Re: Meat on the bones of a building.

Postby Treadwell » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:53 am

Early afternoon hours of the tenth day of the seventh month, 213.

Tready's Toys is but a street over from the new site being built.

So it is that after a mid-day wash in a tub to feel less sticky and hot, Alosius Treadwell comes wobbling over, cane in hand, and somber, black robe and hat on his body, to watch the construction.

Petronela and her girls are ignored in their fanciful blathering.

Aloisius Horatio Treadwell means business with the head of this labor company.

So, walking to Dominik with a grunt and the slightest of bows that his gut can allow:

"Permits, sir, permits and taxes! Neither I nor my office nor the Council as a whole in its meetings has approved the construction of any, mmph mmph, structure here, not yet, not now. I certainly must demand you halt this work, and immediately, until such time as I approve of your plans and efforts, hmm hmm!"
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby channe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:01 am

Dominik wipes stone-dust from his hands and straightens, lifting one of his hands to shade his eyes from the high sun. "You'll have t' talk with my sister about that," he says. "'Fraid this is just a favor I'm doin' her, Councilor. Far as I can tell the Governor hisself wants this done, and I'm sorry, I've been workin' stone in this town since I could walk, and I ain't never heard of the Council interferin' with good things being done on god's-honest private property." Not that Dominik would care even if it were so. He casts a thumb in the direction of Petronela. "She'll be able to clear things up for you. Watch out though, she's a bit prickly ever since she started hangin' out with that crowd."
channe

Postby Treadwell » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:49 am

Treadwell frowns, fleshy lips drawn tight and down behind that fluffy white cloud of beard.

"'The Governor hisself,' you say. Your sister prattles about another person, mmph mmph. Do remember, Mr. Kaczmarek, just who your governor is. And private property is residential space, sir. Anything commercial--that market stall, there, my toy shop a street over, this building, even if sanctioned by the government!--must file the proper paperwork and pay the proper fees, mmph mmph. . . before construction, usually."

That said, Aloisius lightly tips his hat, then turns to toddle for Petronela, squaring back his rounded shoulders and giving her that same slight bow of his. "Madam Kaczmarek! A moment, if you will! 'Tis dreadfully hot, here, and I would care to invite you to my toy shop--just beyond the potter's shop there, and around the corner--for a spot of something to drink and, perhaps, a light repast, mmph mmph? I've a bit to discuss with you, miss, regarding this new construction in progress."
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby channe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:56 am

Dominik will watch him as he goes, with an anger that burns, that boils --

-- and, before Treadwell can hear what he'd said in response, and oh! He'd been recognized! Damn it --

-- Petronela Kaczmarek sweeps in.

"You'll talk with my brother in public, but you want me in private? God bless." She flips her fan and blinks at him. "That, sir, is just -- just -- awful. I thought you had a wife." And she snaps her fan closed, and walks away from him, going to join her lady friends in their proselytization.
channe

Postby Treadwell » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:06 pm

A snort!

"My dear Miss Kaczmarek! Very well, hmm hmm, but quite the misunderstanding. If you would rather speak in public, then--oh, will you wait, madam?"

The huffy, wheezy Treadwell shuffles along after, wincing each other step as he lumbers heftily on his long since injured leg and his cane.

"I've seen no evidence of permits written up or taxes paid or fees addressed, mmph mmph, and that's all entirely my office in this province! Now, do be rather civil, and shall we discuss this, hmm hmm?"
Treadwell

Postby channe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:09 pm

She pauses.

She pauses, and she raises her hand to her chest, and staggers back --

"Rape! Rape! This man is trying to --" She heaves a terrible, awful breath -- "Abduct me! Help! Help! Rape!"
channe

Postby Treadwell » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:20 pm

"Oh, merciful heavens!"

A hand is thrown up in the air quite fitfully, and off the bulgy, saggy elder shuffles, fuming, flushing in fury.

Rape? Who in Myrken Wood would sensibly believe that this particular sixty-eight year old tub of lard would dare to do anything like it in broad daylight--or, for that matter, be able to find his aged, nigh-useless member to even hope to make use of it?

Off Aloisius wobbles, shaking his head and plodding pursily for his toy shop.

Let her win this one, Aloisius. You'll find another way to deal with Miss Rhaena soon enough, or you'll leave this fools' paradise for some town that actually makes sense!
Treadwell

Postby channe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:22 pm

And Petronela Kaczmarek stumbles back into her brother's arms.

And her brother looks at Treadwell as he leaves.

He looks, and he looks, and he looks --
channe

Return to Myrken Wood