Little Lissa

Re: Little Lissa

Postby Guppy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:46 pm

There were no other ghosts there, at this hour. Likely because there were no patrons within the tavern's walls. What were ghosts without the living to look upon? Lissa gave voice to the woman that Noura directed her. In a moment, the ghost in question, Mary, drifted through the doorway to the kitchen with a puzzled, wary expression upon her features. She was a handsome woman with dark hair and a few years younger than Lissa's own mother. "Oh, little dear. You ... We all heard about you children. It is just a terrible thing. Did you not move on, darling?," the ghost asked, sympathy in her dark eyes as she crouched to spread her arms wide to the ghostling. A mother's embrace awaited the girl, should she desire it.

The energy was gazed upon by the wildling, fascination brightening her features. She gave chase, circling 'round the tavern once before following it in the direction of the Rememdium. She had only been there once before, when Niall had been so grievously injured. Still, there was little thought in not following the smoke. She would not cease her forward pace until she reached the healing center.
Guppy

Postby Dulcie » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:46 am

Lissa immediately flew into the other ghost's arms and hugged the other spirit. "No, no I didn't go. I know I should have but I didn't. Pa always said I was conta-rary." She'd say, half with a spirit of joking and half with a sound of dismay. "The other children all went and now I'm all alone!"

Meanwhile across the way at the Rememdium the energy was curling at the building, lapping at it, and Noura would notice that it's presence had attracted both some of the resident ghosts and others that seemed to have travelled further. Some appeared to be drawn to it, like moths to a flame, but others were actively stepping into it, drawing from the little trickle of energy, using it to try doing those mundane tasks like touching the wall, or picking a flower. She could see how much easier they were able to accomplish such tasks.

Noura would be led to the door, when a young carpenter, hard to distinguish as a man or a woman came out of the entrance way, almost bumping into her.

"Sorry." Was muttered with a blush before the carpenter moved to continue down the path, the trickle of dark energy following her.
Dulcie

Postby Guppy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:21 am

The motherly ghost was a bit startled when the child rushed into her arms, but did not so much as pause when she wrapped her arms around the little girl. She would hug the girl so very tightly. This. Holding a child after so long. This completed her in ways she did not think she had been lacking. Watching her own son grow up and become a man without her influence had been painful. He had been an orphan, once her twice-cursed husband had claimed both his and her lives and moved on to whatever lay after. There had been no one left to care for her boy, but he had the good fortune of still being a sought-after infant. Still pure. Not sullied by age and circumstance. He had been adopted by the sweetest family. He had been taught wrong from right and there was never a mention of his dark past. She had never known the sweetness of a hug from one this age. Now she did and she was not certain she would ever let the little girl go. She laughed a moment when Lissa told her of her Papa. "That is alright. I've always been a little conta-rary myself," she assured the little one, voice warm. The dismay of the youth touched her long-cold heart. "Oh, child. You are not alone any longer," she offered, with trembling voice and tears that stung her eyes. She clung to the child ever-tighter.

Noura followed the energy. As she took notice of the ghosts, her steps slowed to a halt and she stared. There they were, attracted just as she was. And they were picking flowers. They were touching things. Her eyes narrowed and she moved on towards the door, a thousand questions swirling in her head. The heavy wooden door of the Rememdium stood before her and she reached for the handle. She leapt back so that she would not be bowled over. Someone almost bumped into her as they pushed outside and muttered an apology as they moved on. She blinked and stared after the figure. She felt numb, unable to move. Shock still clung to her form, slowed her mind. The source had just passed her. That fact eventually worked its way into her muddled mind. She blinked and moved again - giving chase to the figure.

"Hey!," she called, hand extended despite the distance between them. "Hey! Wait up!"
Guppy

Postby Dulcie » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:19 am

The child was home in Mary's arms. She hadn't realized how lost she had truly been, how much she had missed the comfort of a mother, and she snuggled up in the ghost's arms and as Mary's tears fell so did little Lissa's. There was some comfort in the after life.

The carpenter heard a voice behind her on her way out of the Rememdium and she'd turn around curiously. It was hard to tell if she was a man or a woman, dressed in men's trouser's and a white tunic that was tucked in and held down by a pair of suspenders, giving hints at a slightly feminine frame. Her hair had been tucked up into a cap and she'd turn around to look at Noura curiously.

"Sorry. Did you need something? I'm not a doctor or a nurse or anything." After all the woman had been making her way into the Rememdium, not out of it.

As the carpenter moved further away so did that energy trail after her, sometimes almost disappearing and other times ebbing forth from her to trickle back to the buildings nearby. As the energy left the Rememdium those ghostly fingers started to pass through the flowers, the walls, anything they were trying to touch. Some of the sharper spirits would notice the source was gone and began to wander back towards the carpenter and Noura, reaching for the dark energy that surrounded her.

The carpenter seemed unaware of the other worldly presence, neither looking at nor responding to any of them.
Dulcie

Postby Guppy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:28 pm

The wildling slowed to a stop a few yards from the ... woman, she decided. She was a woman. She mentioned that she was not a physician and the wildling bobbed her head in acceptance. "I was not looking for a doctor or nurse," she admitted, finally. She was staring around the other woman and not directly at her. Perhaps the carpenter could assume that it was simple shyness.

Her gaze searched, fascinated by the energy radiating from the woman. She reached out, tentatively, to see if she could catch it with her own hand. Some of the ghosts were gathering, seeking the quick brush of Life. "You don't see them, do you?," she asked, finally, realization dawning. The woman had not so much as glanced at them and they were reaching for her, pawing for the shadows around her. "You are giving off something. It is like smoke," she offered, holding her hands up, palms facing the other. Warding off any mistrust that her words may have caused. "It allows the spirits to touch living things. Are you... are you trying to do that?," she asked. There was clear fascination upon her pretty features.
Guppy

Postby Dulcie » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:17 am

"Oh." She said simply, after hearing that the woman hadnt been looking for the Rememdium staff. One could presume that it meant that there was a reason that the woman wanted to see her, but the Carpenter hadn't quite put that together yet,

Noura began to reach for the energy and it leapt to her, drawn to something inside of the other woman, speaking to the part of her that radiated with death. It'd curl about her whispering it's strength and promises for second life. The ghosts were enjoying the glimmers of life that they were gaining from the energy and all the while the Carpenter continued to seem unaware of all that was going on around her.

"Don't see who?" She asked curiously. But Noura went one. Smoke, like the black milk that Catch described, and all the color would drain from her facce as the other woman continued, asking if she was trying to give off that energy. There was the peaceful gesture and yet the carpenter looked like an animal backed into a corner, frightened and ready to run. She began to back away from Noura.

"I'm not doing anything. Look, I don't know what you think you're seeing but I'm not looking for any trouble." Her own hands went up, fingers splayed, mimicking Noura's gesture of peace. As her hands went up the other woman would see her sleeve slipping away from her wrists, revealing scars where manacles had cut into pale flesh.

The carpenter looked around herself, unsure of which way she was going to flee, but that energy pulsed harder and some of the ghosts began to make pleased little sounds, their hands finding more purchase on the items they tried to touch, and for an instant, only an instant the Carpenter's eyes darted to the faces of each one that fed at the darkness.
Dulcie

Postby Guppy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:41 pm

The thrill that ran through her as that black smoke billowed around her hand was a surprise. Her heart thundered in her ears and she felt the creature stir with interest. The energy coursed through her hand and her fingers twitched and closed, as if hoping to hold tight to some small portion. Her eyes shone with fascination, with desire. Black began to edge her pale eyes, the creature exerting influence before they were both distracted by the woman and her words. That hand was snatched back to clench at her side, though her gaze never left those wisps of energy. They did not falter.

"The ghosts. The spirits. They are drawn to you," she breathed, in awe. The woman's panicked expression was not lost on Noura and she blinked. A step forward was taken with those palms raised. The two looks quite foolish with the mirrored gesture, no doubt, to the few bystanders nearby. "No!," suddenly, before she continued in a more calm, reasonable voice. "Wait, no. I'm not looking for trouble either. I'm sorry. I didn't mean -- didn't mean to upset you," she pleaded, loathe for the woman to take her energy and leave her company.

Keen eyes settled on those scars, those manacle marks. Brows furrowed with concern. "What happened to you?," the young woman asked, softly. As kindly as she could.

The energy pulsed and she sighed with pleasure as her eyes went distant. So intense was the feeling that she almost missed the way the other woman's eyes settled on each ghost within her range. "There! Did you see them?," she asked, gleefully, shrugging off the emotions washing over her. Trying her best to ignore the pleased murmurings around her from the spirits.
Guppy

Postby Dulcie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:52 am

"Make them go away.." She pleaded silently, covering her face with her hands as if that would somehow make them disappear. The more anxious she got, the more the energy pulsed around her, drawing in a larger crowd as other ghosts seemed to recognize that something was going on here.

She'd peek between her fingers and shudder, self conciously tugging at her shirt to cover her wrists.

"It doesn't matter. I deserved it." She muttered and tried to turn around to go, only finding herself standing face to face with another spirit. She closed her eyes again and then looked back over her shoulder, keeping her eyes on Noura and nothing else. "How come you can see them and no one else can? Can you see them all the time? Can you tell them to go away?"
Dulcie

Postby Guppy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:17 pm

The moment of adrenaline-fueled panic faded and suddenly, the woman standing before her was pleading for her help. Quite a turn of events. The energy swirled and pulsed, drawing in greater numbers of the ghosts as her anxiety yielded a complete lack of control. They clamored for attention with hands outstretched, groping and grabbing for the power radiating from the woman. The spoke in many voices, a building cacophony that made the whelp clamp hands over her ears. "Be quiet!," she shouted at the spirits, glowering at the ethereal beings around the two of them.

If they quieted, she would glance at the other woman and slowly lower her hands to her sides. "What did you deserve?," she asked, cautiously. Curiously. It was really none of her business and she reminded herself not to press the issue too forcefully.

The woman attempted to flee again, to leave the wildling standing there in the street, but a ghost blocked her way. Her quiet, defeated questions directed over her shoulder made a sympathetic look steal across Noura's face. The young woman crept forward and gazed at the ghost, making a shooing motion and glowering. "Go on, now. Leave her be," she insisted, before glancing at the other woman. Her expression was helpful, kind. "You just have to speak with them. Remember that they are people and they can be reasoned with." She paused, considering. "Ah, unless they go insane. Then, there is no reasoning," she admitted. "I can see them because I passed over briefly. ... It is complicated." The look upon her visage was sheepish. "I am Noura," she greeted, offering her hand with a smile.
Guppy

Postby Dulcie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:50 am

The other woman was successful in shooing and quieting the ghosts, at least for the moment. Most of them drifted away, but not terribly far, still staying near to the dark energy that radiated from the carpenter, who was busy shaking her head at Noura's question.

"Nothing. I didn't do anything. I don't want to talk about it." She was full of contradictions. None of her behavior very consistent or sensical.

"I can't see them all the time. And they don't listen to me when I can." She admitted, frowning as she looked over at Noura. "I've never passed over." Whatever it was that was happening with her was clearly different than what had happened to Noura.

She looked at the other hand for a moment, even glancing around the area before she took it, placing her own in the other woman's. "Fred."
Dulcie

Postby Guppy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:29 pm

The spirit-speaker nodded at the frantic insistence of the other woman. As one did with the insane. Yes, of course. She did not want to speak about whatever had happened. Of course, she said that nothing at all had happened, but that was obviously a lie.

Hearing that the woman did not see the spirits often, the girl tilted her head with intrigue. "I can see them. There is a ... smoke," she explained, finally settling on that term for lack of a better one. "It is seeping from you and wafting away. It draws the ghosts. When they touch it, they ... they seem to be closer to the barrier between living and dead," she cautiously mentioned, considering each word before speaking it. "I followed it from the tavern," she jerked a thumb over her shoulder in the vague direction of the Broken Dagger tavern. "The smoke lets them interact with living things again. That is a dangerous power to have," she warned. "They will not cease their pestering."

Her hand was extended and considered. It took so long that Noura almost lowered it with disappointment. Fred hesitantly took hold and shook briefly, but Noura's features brightened with happiness that she had been accepted. "Fred?" But that was a boy's name. "Nice to meet you, Fred," she said, instead, warmly.
Guppy

Postby Dulcie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:51 am

It was strange to hear her powers, whatever they were or weren't described in such a way. Like this woman knew more about her than what she knew herself. The mention of the smoke however seemed to make her more anxious, her body tense, and that blackness pulsing more from her, stretching out the ghosts that Noura had managed to scatter, who eagerly took part in tasting what it offered.

Fred purposely didn't look in their direction.

"Catch calls it black milk." She offered, chewing on her lip slightly as she looked at Noura, as if trying to decide how far, or if she could trust this woman. "I don't know what it is, or why it is. I don't know how to stop it." She admitted. "I never asked for it." An admission, as if wanting to assure the other woman that she wasn't someone who studied dark arts.

She heard the hesitation in Noura's voice when she repeated her name and Fred shrugged. "I never really wanted to be a girl anyhow. I hate all that silly frilly stuff."
Dulcie

Postby Guppy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:43 am

Noura was distracted for a moment as she watched the smoke reach for the ghosts in turn with the increased anxiety of the woman in front of her. The spirits were like drugged men, groping for the energy, thirsting after the power it brought. "Your emotions seem to make it worse. Calm down," she insisted, with another worried look spared for the other woman.

It did not much matter to Noura whether she relaxed or not, but catching sight of the ghosts seemed to make the other woman frightened. For her own peace of mind, she needed to collect herself. The whelp was confident that the ghosts would drift away, should the smoke not prove quite so tempting. She seemed surprised, Fred might find, when she mentioned Catch. That man had his hands in everything in this town.

The wildling's expression was solemn as Fred pleaded her innocence. "So few of us asked for anything that life has dealt us," she admitted, sympathy in her voice. "You could -- it could be a gift, you know. It could help the dead. It could make them move on. Myrken has so many spirits I could barely hear myself think, when I first arrived."

Fred seemed to sense that she found fault in her name and the wildling smiled. "I am also called Whelp. I have no place to speak of names. Besides, I like it. Fred," she assured, her face open and friendly.
Guppy

Postby Dulcie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:33 am

She looked at Whelp and nodded a little when the other woman encouraged her to calm down. She'd take a few deep breaths and it was apparent on her face that she was indeed trying to calm herself, her arms folding in on her chest as if that would somehow make it better.

As her anxiety calmed the darkness began to recede, shrinking back away to a trickle rather than a stream.

"I don't think it's a gift. And I'm not sure I can help them move on. It sort of calls the dead here. Makes them get closer, not further away." She knew more than she had let on initially, but Whelp seemed harmless enough, and Fred found herself trusting her instinctively.

"It's nice to meet you Whelp."
Dulcie

Postby Guppy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:38 am

The young woman smiled encouragement to the other as she stilled the pounding of her pulse, the rapid breathing. The power eased down to a small trickle and the ghosts, no doubt, drifted on to stand idly by. They would not likely leave entirely, not for long. Fred's power was a temptation that could not be ignored forever.

She nodded vaguely, eyes drifting to the side of the other as she considered something. She turned, back facing Fred, and bundled up her hair above the nape of her neck. There, etched deeply into the skin, was a crimson-colored rune. "This draws them as well," she admitted, a little wistfully. Perhaps she found herself yearning for the powers that Fred possessed to draw them in. She had to do so through artificial means. Of course, that might very well be startling to Fred, that the girl would want them near her.

"You bring them happiness," she admitted, letting her hair drop and turning again to face the woman, once she looked upon the magic rune. "For a moment, they can touch a flower or stroke a loved one's face. It is a lovely thing that you do for them," she insisted.
Guppy

PreviousNext

Return to Myrken Wood