Pretty Dresses, Fancy Tea, and Kicking Ass

Pretty Dresses, Fancy Tea, and Kicking Ass

Postby Tolleson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:39 pm

For Genny, there were several things in the world which made very little sense. One of them was Treadwell’s appetite; another was Glenn’s ability to speak at great lengths without coming up for air. However, the best example of the category was Agnieszka in her entirety. For instance her big, blabbing mouth; but then again, Genny had only heard wind of the letters send to a select few councilors and not Berdini or Rhaena; so their were some assumptions made in that regard. All she could do was hope the woman had sense enough to lie low where it counted. Rather like relying on Gloria to keep from being a judgmental loud mouth.

She did have the good sense to write and to leave her letter unsigned. It would not take Genny long to locate the woman with a few questions along the lines of, ‘have you seen an insufferably rude woman, boisterous, likes to insult people? The one with black hair – yes, that’s her.’ These questions were most effective with several tavern patrons and barkeeps in the fine establishments that hadn’t quite transitioned to tea and lace.

It was these questions that lead her to a small street in the thick of Myrkentown. The ladies here are no where near as fancy as the Teahouse girls, the cobbled stone reeks of piss and vomit, the alleys are dark even in the day. And it is such an improvement over what it used to be. It is in a pub at the end of this tiny street that a hooded woman, red hair peeking out, approached the barkeep with similar questions – as clearly, thus far, they’ve lead her here.
Tolleson

Re: Pretty Dresses, Fancy Tea, and Kicking Ass

Postby channe » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:54 pm

Agnieszka is not wearing her Myrken colors today. In fact, she's dressed exactly like the other people in this bar -- in dirty, stained work-clothes that have seen better days, a shirt that's ratty at the wrists and pants that are belted with frayed rope. And it's obvious she feels like she fits in; for one moment there'll be no-one at her shoulder and the next she'll be there, holding a shot-glass of something clear and alcoholic, shoving it in Genny's direction. And she does fit in.

"Come on," she says, "I got a table in the back."

And the 'table in the back' is literally there -- around the corner, behind a mess of tables and a a mess of out-of-work masons singing a rowdy song. She'll pull a chair out for Genny and sit where she can see the door and see who's coming. "I used to come here with Rhaena, you know, years ago, back before Glenn Burnie lived here." A pause. She indicates the booth next to her with a flick of her hand. "That was our table. I lived around the corner, tiny place, total hole." A pause, and she looks Genny up and down, heaving a sigh.

"We don't have much time," she says, biting her bottom lip. "I can't lay low, and my sister already knows I'm back, so it's only a matter of time before I get a summons," and she looks worried for a moment, so worried -- "You were the only one to write, Genny. The only one. We need to assume they're all against us."

And then, she smiles, very quietly, very slightly. "We do have one advantage, though." She pauses. "She can't turn me. So tell me what you know, and you an' me, we'll get started."
channe

Postby Tolleson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:08 pm

Where Agnie did have the good sense to disguise herself, Genny only had sense enough to hide her rather easily recognizable hair. Her dress was dingy enough as it was, but still a skirt among britches. She looks the woman over for any sign of Rhaena tampering as the glass is taken, held, but not consumed.

In fact, she would continue to hold it as she followed the woman to the small table behind the loud folk. And she held it still as she listened and watched. There is no smile upon learning that she was the only one who wrote. It was well known enough to her that there were not many allies and apparently even fewer who cared where or what had happened to Glenn Burnie.

“G-G-Good to see you too,” saying old friend seemed a little inappropriate. With considerations for the their short time, she merely set down the still full, clear, alcoholic beverage and pulled out a small book, stuffed with papers and tied closed with a long leather string. Flipped open she showed a list of those she had confirmed to be changed and those she trusted. Chief among the changed of course was Elliot, Petronela, Berdini, Giuseppe and about a dozen other names and two dozen with some listings like, ‘the shoe-shine boy outside the meeting hall,’ and other such vague references or people whose names she didn’t know.

“Th-th-this list… this list represents less than half of … all of the people I suspect have been… changed. B-But everyone of them is … a bit different. Bars stopped serving ale… a-and serve tea instead… Miss Gloria, the uh… the seamstress woman. She’s been com-comissioned for hundreds of u-u-uniforms and, and, and dresses.”

She spoke quickly before flipping the page to reveal another list including Gloria’s name, as well as Catch, Treadwell, Cinnabar, and a few other names comprising a motley assortment for allies.

“I trust Calmoel… he goes now to speak with Ariane, I s-s-suspect she may be… her mind compromised.”

There is a dry swallow, preferring to stay thirsty than touch the thing in front of her.

“Glenn must be found,” in this Genny is very passionate, her eyes looking to Agnie’s with determination but also a plea for help.

“I have leads… G-Golben may be more than folk have been lead to think, Berdini is behind it in some way, I-I-I suspect. And-And… Miss Rhaena was … she tutored me for a while and-and... well, I think I may be able to withstand her …Mentalist… power.”

Genny was by no means ready for a physical fight, but she was here, and willing to work with Agnie. That alone was sign enough that she was serious about finding Glenn and resolving the Rhaena issue. All they need do was form a plan, and the hooded redhead seemed open to suggestions as she stood, turned towards Agnie, eyeing the drink suspiciously.
Tolleson

Postby channe » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:01 am

"I agree," she says. "Glenn must be found. He's the key to everything, I think, and the only one who knows what exactly has happened. Else-wise, he'd still be here. Turned, 'r worse."

And with that, Agnieszka reaches forward and looks at the list, reading slowly, sounding out the words, sounds and letters. Her writing has become steadily better since meeting and being with Aleksei River, but she's still not the most literate player in the game. "Okay," she says, "I ended up talking with Treadwell last night at the Dagger and he confirms many of the same names. And Catch. I never thought I'd consider him a reliable source, but from what he says, he's just as on target as you are."

She heaves a sigh, leaning forward on the table, meeting Genny's eyes. "I need to tell you something I ain't ever told anyone," she says, and it's obviously not something she wants to do, but after a swig of her own full glass, she leans back in her chair and crosses her arms. "Back when Rhaena'd been drow-affected, before she was restored an' got better, she got in my head. She messed things up. I couldn't forgive her for a long time. But she promised that she'd never do it again. And if she's truly a Lady like everyone says she is, part o' that is honorin' promises. If you think the thing to do is to go see her, we'll go together, back each other up."

And then, her eyes focus again, this time on the table in front of her. "I was told nothin' about Golben. As far as I know it's still a crater. But this ain't the first time I've heard whispers, so I'll ride out this mornin' to check it out."
channe

Postby Tolleson » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:58 am

“Yes,” it was the only reply she offered concerning Glenn. But in her voice was heaviness, in one word the weight of her guilt, her anger, her frustration and the dwindling hope. Two fortnights past and still he was missing. Even the dunces and dullards of town, even the council itself would have a hard time defending that Glenn was still in Razasan or on some mission to Thessilane. His disappearance was more, with all that happened so conveniently with Rhaena the events had to be connected.

From then on the redhead is silent for a fair few minutes, listening to a girl she considered little better than a bully, and far from a dear friend. There was a nod offered regarding Catch, who had either become more sane in the last several months or Genny had become more mad.

“That … “ Now tinged with some disbelief, the girl will shake her head. “That is f-f-fortunate for us. But you… Rhaena has changed, I am not sure she… would be so considerate. B-be careful… as, as of yet I do not know a way to return your mind.” Even as the words are spoken she is nodding, in part because she had intended to go; it was selfish but Agnie was stronger, also there were precious few allies. A dwindling amount even. “Yes, we…. Let us go together.”

Her eyes look to the table and Genny glances there too, as if to see what Agnie sees. “Nor I, as… actually, there is nothing on it …. Not a single record i-i-in all of the Inquistory,” the gravity of her tone suggests this is an unusual thing. But everything and everyone in Myrken, especially the mysterious sort that everyone else knew little about, these were the things the Inquisitors knew. It was their job.

As for actually visiting the crater, Genny’s eyes narrow. “T-tomorrow I will meet with someone.... connected to Berdini, perhaps Berdini himself, I… I suspect there is more to Golben and not just some..." Her hands made a small gesture, as if she formed an invisible sculpture in her hands, a meaningless display as she searched for the word, "art... p-project?" The point, "we… we should not go blindly,” and she shook her head as if disapproving of her own words. Or perhaps it was because she knew once Agnie made up her mind about something there was little that could be done to dissuade her, and investigating the Golben in person was tempting. It was so far the only lead in her true goal, which for now was finding Glenn.

“If you go… go… to the Golben, t-take someone with you… s-s-someone y-you trust. I will… let us meet again tomorrow and we… I will share what I learn.”
Tolleson

Postby channe » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:00 pm

And then there was that convenient... appointment... of Rhaena as a gubernatorial substitute. That would have never flown if Agnie had been there; not because she didn't love Rhaena, but because when things went different like that, things went -- wrong. Very wrong.

At any rate, they're not friends. Probably will never be. But here -- here, they can at least work together. She lifts her half-filled shot-glass. "We'll be careful. Rhaena has been trying to get me in a dress for months, so I'll go in a dress. A nice one. You too." A pause. "I'll check out Golben in the morning; meet me here in the late afternoon and we'll decide when to see Rhaena. Drink on it?"
channe

Postby Tolleson » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:30 pm

“Right!” They would be careful and they would share, this was a far better arrangement than the one she had been able to work out with Calomel, though his input had been valuable.

“A nice one,” she repeated, hoping the liquid that filled the glass could be easily dismissed. But this was Agnie and so it is taken up with great distain and raised, a toasted agreement though there was so little to celebrate, other than their odd partnership.

A large gulp is taken, her expression pinching and screwing into contorted shapes revealing the massive distaste for the liquid, all before she gasps for air and coughs. She didn’t drink often and a sickly green tinge overtook her complexion. Wincing for a moment she continued to cough before catching Agnie by the arm and clearing her throat.

“Yes, you… talk to the… Miss Wynsee. She keeps, she has a room at the D-dagger, she is a s-seamstress. Uh… Gloria Wynsee, she will make you something f-f-fine if you n-need it … or if you, perhaps you already have something. She’s very good at-at-at fixing things.” That and she was an ally, a bit on the abrasive side but who was to say who would win in that argument, Gloria or Agnie.

Agnie probably, but only because she had a sword.
Tolleson

Return to Myrken Wood