A List Made, Checked Twice

Re: A List Made, Checked Twice

Postby Dulcie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:42 am

"I suppose we could pool resources, yes. I do have a number of able bodied men who would do as I wished. They don't speak the common language however I'm afraid so we would have to be sure that communication wasn't an issue among the people that you've assembled."

In fact he could already imagine the trouble that could be caused because of it, the results could be entertaining.

"I think perhaps the reason so few are familiar with illusion is because it's meant to be kept that way. If too many people knew our secrets there'd be no thrill in the guessing in how a trick is done. Much like this one." He'd offer her a smile and reach towards her, looking as if he might caress her cheek with the soft stroke of his fingertips, but instead his fingers move a hair's breadth away and pluck from behind her ear a simple, single white rose that he offers out to her.

"The joy is in the mystery I imagine. Especially in a place with so much magic, it's a wonder to think of how things might be done without it."
Dulcie

Postby Tolleson » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:47 pm

They don’t speak the common language. It was something that on the surface seemed rather passing, but it gave her pause to watch him. Not that she hadn’t before, but in the dwindling light her eyes struggled to see truth in his, to find and catch them, to hold them, to study. Such is the nature of a person who reads too many books, always thinking, remembering something, regardless of however minor. Perhaps it had been a few words or a chapter in a book on economics, differing currencies and trade value. Or perhaps it was slavery. If it concerned her she didn’t say, not now, not yet.

Too soon he speaks of magic and even performs a feat. It is breathtaking. It should have made her swoon, it should have taken a firm grasp on her sense of wonder and lured her in. Perhaps, in some small measure it had, he had managed to capture her attention. Enthrall her with the trick rather than another work of his, the gaping hole in the ground before them. There is an obvious question, but he has already explained this, how. She knows better than to ask, knowing he likely won’t tell her or that it is a trap itself. Knowing that is what everyone would ask. And this is Genny.

Quickly her wide and childlike eyes, raptured by something beautiful and impossible turn curious, studious, and critical. She is examining the flower, reaching out slowly take it with her gloved hand.

“This place?” It was a very significant question. This place, here, Myrkenwood, the pit, The Golben. “What other t-things do you do… with magic?” In a place like this he had said, a wonder to think how things could be done without it. The question was careful, not what ‘could’ be done, what ‘did’ he do?
Tolleson

Postby Dulcie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:02 pm

He laughed softly, still waiting for her to take the token as the stem of the rose rolled between his fingers, his deep green eyes settled upon her careful ones. She was a snake in a grass. A snake dressed up as a meek little mouse. He imagined her for a moment, how he could test that innocence. It was a fantasy however, a passing thought in his mind.

"Me? Nothing. I have no magical talent or ability. But this place is ripe with it. I've seen the mad man who practically drips of it, and the Lady herself, well she was quite powerful. They aren't the only ones I'm sure. It's difficult to impress people who see so many wonders daily. Perhaps that's why I enjoy illusion. People are used to real magic, not the simple slight of hand or a trick of their gaze."

He motioned back towards the carriage. "I believe we've seen enough haven't we? Shall we return? I would hate for any to question your propriety."
Dulcie

Postby Tolleson » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:32 pm

A snake perhaps, but not a poisonous one. Would she even bite? The rose is taken, handled delicately, with great care and there is a bit of surprise as she looks from it back to him.

"Is t-that so. Th-then what trick is t-this... is... would you... you have me believe t-there is bouquet up your sleeve," joking and amused she smiled. Idly she began to roll the rose between her fingers as he had, catching the glance back and turning to look with a nod.

"Yes," she nodded again, more enthusiastically this time, in absolute agreement. "T-though, before we go... I... I wonder if you might show me... th-that is... t-t-this place does have a door, does it not? I cannot imagine people... prisoners are simply flung in." She smiled, amused by the notion perhaps or simply playing along.
Tolleson

Postby Dulcie » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:54 am

"A good magician never reveals his secrets, but I do admit that I am often prepared in case there is a lady in need of charming." He winked at her and then nodded to her request.

"There is no door." He insisted as he motioned for her to walk with him as he moved off towards a bluff of trees near the edge of Golben that were no scraggly and frost tipped from the winter. "Of course throwing prisoners in would defeat the purpose, as would throwing in anyone who was to work down in the bottom of the pit. Most of the men have used ladders to reach the bottom and pulled them up since the work was completed but I do have one contraption left that was too much work to remove in the winter months. You see we had to have a means of lowering the larger items to the bottom didn't we?"

They reached the trees and as he wound her about through the unused pathway they would find a large object, much larger than a carriage or even two carriages put together, covered by an enormous tarp. He pulled some of it away, revealing a contraption that was similar in size to a catapult, but clearly wasn't one. Levers and hinges and a bucket at the end of it's great arm could lead one to believe that this thing could be used from the pit's edge to lower whatever cargo was in the bucket to the bottom of the pit. Of course a great deal of counterweight would be necessary to keep the whole thing from toppling over the edge, but the wear on it's parts made it clear that it had been used before, and successfully since it wasn't at the bottom in bits and pieces.

"This is what being an illusionist means my dear. It has so much less to do with flowers in sleeves or coins tucked between fingers, and everything to do with what you can build. I believe it's why the Governor selected me for this job."
Dulcie

Postby Tolleson » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:38 am

In need of charming, wasn’t she just? The words are amicable enough and so she smiles automatically, a simple expression, apparently ready to concede defeat and return to town. He motions her to walk with him and this smile changes, she lights up, earnestly excited. “Ladders!” Her own small exclamation followed his words as her eyes flicked briefly to the sizeable pit.

It must have had ledges and tiers similar to a mining pit, but even so the ladders would be enormous. Her eyes will return to her company and the dim path to avoid tripping, but she remains silent, listening, as if calculating each new known variable into the impossible equation that was the very existence of this place. “Of course,” she whispered an answer to his rhetorical question as they weaved through the small forest. But what sort of large objects needed to be down there, why. She refrains from asking, but the eager curiosity is not well hidden.

They came to the large object and as he pulled free a portion of the tarp her hand went instinctively out, she meant to touch it. But she stops just short, her long fingers curling back just a bit as she looked then to her companion, as if to ask for permission.

“T-t-to make seemingly impossible tasks… plausible,” her voice bespoke wonder and some admiration for the sheer size of the task. But it was plausible at best, men had still died in the making of this place. Whatever it was, a prison, a pit, it seemed far beyond any description so simple.

“Can you… How does it work?”
Tolleson

Postby Dulcie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:19 pm

His explanations were often like that of the ladders. Enough information to be truthful, but not quite enough to communicate exactly what had occurred. The contraption was treated with a similar explanation as well. He motioned for her to go ahead, to touch the machine.

"Careful though, watch the gears and levers." He said with a little smile as he came around towards the machine as well, pointing out pieces here and there.

"You make sure enough weight is positioned on this end, on the other you can put a much lighter object. It's extended and shifted so that it can be lowered into the pit. It can make it most of the way down into the pit, though I admit, it's an effort even with the support of the machine."
Dulcie

Postby Tolleson » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:14 pm

Her long fingers uncurled, extending delicately outwards. She was careful not to touch where he indicated and careful too, to avoid anything that looked dangerous regardless. Still, it was a marvel. Rather than daunted or afraid she was entirely eager, curious, and verging on delighted. She would ask half a dozen more technical questions, how much weight could it bear, how could it be operated, could one person manage it alone? “Magnificent,” her near whisper would follow.

Fingers ran over the cold metal and the cool wood, she examined it for a long minute before retracting her hand, returning her eyes to her company and offering a genuine smile. “T-thank you, for coming,” she paused, glancing at the giant machine with an appraising look.

“And for showing me… t-the door,” there is a small, grinning smile that pulls up into her cheeks as she takes a few steps back. She would then turn to step back to the path they had taken to come this way, as if waiting for him that they might depart and return to the carriage.

“I t-t-take it… you have not been down yourself?”
Tolleson

Postby Dulcie » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:02 am

Whatever questions she asked would be answered in turn. He seemed to hold nothing back about the machine. Rather he seemed content to watch the girl marvel at it. So innocent and delicate, and yet she clearly had a mind of her own. She watched the machine in fascination and he in turn would watch her.

She asked if he had been down and he shook his head slightly, lifting the cane. "I'm afraid my leg wouldn't allow for such safely. I have been given detailed reports however and I trust the men who completed the construction. Everything should be arranged as I had planned for it."

He walked with her back to the carriage, the cane leaving little marks in the cold ground alongside them. "You are most welcome Miss Genny. Anything you ever need you may feel free to call upon me for."
Dulcie

Postby Tolleson » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:32 am

Her eyes trailed behind them for a moment, a lingering glance on the machine being lost to the cover of trees then falling, fixated on the pock marks left in the dusting of snow and frozen earth. They found him again soon enough, filled with a soft sympathy as if she asked him wordlessly, does it still hurt. Perhaps she’d feel guilty about dragging him out on such a venture if she had known.

Everything should be arranged as I had planned

“I cannot begin t-t-to fathom… just what sort of th-things did you plan for?” Perhaps it was telling of her intentions, but then again, she had asked so many questions.

You are most welcome he had said, and to this she grinned slightly. “Th-that is very generous; I hope you won’t regret such an invitation… I will surely have many more questions.” She will smile, absolutely genuine and honest in her admission. Back at the carriage she returned the lantern to the driver and dusted her skirts, preparing to climb back inside. “Perhaps I will know… I can see it for myself soon enough,” did she joke, or perhaps she intended to join the expedition team in disassembling parts he had only just finished building.
Tolleson

Postby Dulcie » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:06 am

"I planned for the monstrosities that find themselves here Miss Genny. Make no mistake, our governor is not unaware that there are creatures here that are not easily contained. I have planned for those, certainly, though I suppose there are some that can never truly be contained." He waited for her to climb into the carriage before he joined her.

"Perhaps you will see it. I wish you luck if that is the case, it would be no small feat."
Dulcie

Previous

Return to Myrken Wood