A List Made, Checked Twice

A List Made, Checked Twice

Postby Tolleson » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:15 pm

There are several things now that must be done in short order.

First, the governor was alive and to some extent, well, well enough to speak to her. Though their conversation was not long, there were at least a dozen letters she ought to pen, informing, organizing, announcing, making movement and rousing the lot of people who had doubted he would ever return. Of these missives only two were written, sealed and sent with haste.

Dear Councilor Treadwell,

Thank you for all of your efforts. I commend your leadership and generosity that has surely eased the pain of a poor harvest. I spoke briefly with the governor, sound of mind as ever, though his body recovers – I am certain he feels the same gratitude and will, when he is able, thank you for all your contributions to the well-being of Myrken.

I hope he will keep me abreast of his condition so I may relay it to you, please call on me at any time if my assistance will aid you in any way.

Gods be good to you,
Genevieve Tolleson

Dear Marshall Ariane Emory,

Let us meet soon, tonight, over a meal, if the notice is not too short. I have much to tell and to discuss. Further more I believe our efforts are most assuredly more effective when made together.

Gods be good to you,
Genevieve Tolleson

Post Script: Please keep the book safe, I am not certain it’s usefulness has ended.

For being ever cautious, the vague mention of the journal is but a footnote. The list of names, allegiances, and her notes from questioning the Golben victim’s wife hadn’t really been entirely necessary for Ariane, but that did not mean their full purpose had been served.

The incapacitated governor had asked of her, to make a stand and to find a solution that would work, regardless of truth, regardless of justice. Though surely an answer with regard for both would be ideal. And there was one truth, she need only confirm, to know the culprit responsible for Burnie’s condition.

Small clouds of fog rise from under a scarf, which is tucked into the neck of a thick blue cloak, which bounces and shivers with the redheaded woman fidgeting nervously or to fight off the chill as she stands in front of a door. The wrong door perhaps. How she even had an address was because, presently, she was the Inquisitory. There were precious few resources to spare and for this matter, it was best she do it herself. And how she had come to be at the door doubting whether or not to knock? That was due to the very sight of Glenn Burnie.

There is a moment of hesitation before the decision is made and a resolute rap shatters the quiet trepidation of whether or not to question Councilor Stefan Berdini.
Tolleson

Re: A List Made, Checked Twice

Postby Carnath-Emory » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Genevieve Tolleson

This night is spoken for; the next is not, and I would very much welcome your company then. More, we've
a great deal to discuss, and it is better done sooner than later.

Marshall Emory
Myrken Defense Committee

Your book is beyond casual reach, and there it shall remain until a need should arise.

Carnath-Emory

Postby Dulcie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:50 am

Genny was met at the door of the Gilded Lily by a silent, dark skinned man. She might have explained where she was trying to go, or maybe the man knew intuitively, but either way she was lead through the theatre, up a set of hidden stairs to the apartment that was hidden away above the theatre itself. It was there that her knocking was met with the smooth opening of a door, and Stefan Berdini appeared within it, dressed in all his usual finery, not a single hair out of place.

She would be studied for a moment as the man was relatively certain that he hadn't met this simple girl before.

"Good day m'lady. Am I to understand that you are looking for me?" He asked curiously, watching the timid little creature before him with his usual charming smile.
Dulcie

Postby Tolleson » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:30 am

Met at the door she began to speak, her words a useless and staccato stutter too soon cut off by the invitation in. To the man’s back, as they walked she finally managed a, “t-th-th… t-thank you.”

She had seen a show once at a theater, perhaps it had been larger, more grand, glowing and the people within fine, delicate flowers. But it was a romanticized memory of childhood, so long ago now that the interior of the place simply gave way to a well subdued wondrous curiosity. Being lead through the space allowed her gaze to wander away, but not so much that she forgot her footing. Or forgot why she was there.

Dressed in a matter of finery that she had unfortunately become accustomed to seeing under Rhaena’s reign had little effect. In fact, it sort of made her stomach turn, a cringe that was no so well hidden. How curious that a fine shirt or lace might jar a painful memory.

“I… I… Good Day… Councilor. I wish… t-th-that I might t-talk t-t-to you about t-t-the governor’s… his absence.” Her cheeks were almost as red as her hair, burning under freckles that spanned over her nose from ear to ear.
Tolleson

Postby Dulcie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:44 am

He smiled to her and bowed his head generously.

"Of course Miss. You sound quite distressed, come inside and out of the chill won't you? I'm afraid the theatre isn't as well heated as my apartment."

The young woman still hadn't given her name, but it was of no consequence, this little mouse was bound to be some form of entertainment one way or another. He stepped back from where he was an ushered Genny inside. A fire was crackling in the fire place, and gave the room a warm, cozy appearance. There was not one item out of place, and the apartment had sort of theme expected in stories about desert sultans, decorated with red, yellow and orange silk tapesteries and pillows. There weren't many conventional chairs or tables as the tables were low to the ground with large overstuffed cushions used as seating locations. The only traditional pieces of furniture were a chaise against one wall and a bar on the other.

"May I take your cloak?" That is of course assuming she was wearing one. It was a cold day after all. "And perhaps the pleasure of your name darling? You've come here with such a serious topic and no introduction, you've quite captured my attention."
Dulcie

Postby Tolleson » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:57 am

She nodded furtively and stepped inside, though she made no attempt to remove her cloak. Not yet. Clinging to the thing, wrapped so it might be all that he sees, it is apparent the garment is at least two seasons old, well cared for but at least a foot too short for her tall frame and not at all matching the other attire, which barely peeks through.

Her eyes will take in the exotic environment procedurally, as if making a quick note before her attention is entirely returned to the councilor. The gaze is more analytical than impressed. There is no surprise he does not know her, hers was a name more than a face and a face that did well to hide behind the governor. It had certainly spared her; at least that was the assumption, during Rhaena’s reign.

“Actually… I… well if it would be alright, I… I t-t-thought we might step out. I understand it is… a bold request… and especially unannounced as I have come…” Her weight shifted, standing awkwardly just inside the door.

“Apologies, my name is Genny,” no need mentioning her affiliation if the mere mention of her name didn’t prompt him to think of the Inquisitory. “I… I have a carriage waiting, if you can spare the afternoon… if… I would have you back by… before your show, if you… if there is.. something, that is… if something is playing t-t-tonight.”
Tolleson

Postby Dulcie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:49 pm

A hand waiting for the cloak was left to remain there in the air, empty. He looked at her curiously and then at his empty, extended hand before he returned it to his side.

"I must admit it's quite unusual to have a woman I have just met ask to take me into her carriage. While it's a pleasure to meet you Miss Genny I'm afraid that I know very little about you, nor about your intentions. I do hope you understand my concern, but I have heard tales of gentlemen being driven out into the night to meet an ill fate at the hands of bandits who wish to see his pockets emptied. While you seem the honorable type I'm often reminded that trouble can come even in the loveliest of packages."

He paused a moment then, looking at her curiously as he considered her analytical gaze and the state of her dress.

"Now then, Perhaps if you could share with me the reasons why you want me to come with you, and where we might be going, that would perhaps be a start."
Dulcie

Postby Tolleson » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:29 pm

She notices the empty hand, now moved back to his side as if for the first time really comprehending what it was for. Socially awkward might begin to describe her, among some other adjectives to follow, synonyms for bookish, perhaps.

‘Loveliest,’ he’d said, perhaps she was still warming up in the cozy apartment, then again it may have been a soft blush to rise in her cheeks.

“Ah, quite right… I had not… I, I apologize, I assumed t-that being on the council you might have… you knew t-t-that in Glenn’s absence I operate the Inquisitory”, despite the tenses, absence being a past tense, and operate being preset, the phrase does accurately describe the situation.

“My intent is merely… my own curiosity, I suppose. Nothing official… I… t-there are many t-t-things about Mister Burnie, questions… t-that keep me awake at night. I t-t-think you may be the only… only man to… who even can offer me solace in t-t-these regards,” and she was either very, very good at lying or genuine in this aspect. The carriage outside, if he had seen it arrive, was not marked with any official sigil and aside from the driver who presently sat there picking his nose, she had come alone.

Spreading the fabric of her cloak she put her rather simply and incredibly prudent gray dress on display. It didn’t fit in a way that could even remotely be considered flattering and was cut from her collarbone to her ankles, like a nun in gray.

“I wish t-that we might leave… because I am unarmed,” which he now could see. “…and visiting, alone, t-t-the home of a… a gentleman who is not… my father, brother, or… betrothed.” She stopped, as if he might extract the rest for himself. Perhaps there were just enough whispers about girls gone in and out that she had a rightful justification not to be associated among them. Blunt, she smiles simply as if the thing she has just said is not the least bit embarrassing to anyone involved.
Tolleson

Postby Dulcie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:02 pm

She presented as simple, but her eyes gave her away. She was anything but simple, and this wasn't lost on the Councilor. Her mention of the inquisitor did seem to jog his memory however. The name had a context now, and when he thought about it he was sure he had probably seen her in passing at some point.

"Ah yes, I understand. I forget some of the traditions of this place." He still seemed ill at ease about the idea of leaving the comfort of the lavish apartment. "I'm not sure I can offer you the peace of mind that you seek, I know little more than anyone else in the tragic matter of his disappearance. I may only say that I am grateful he has returned. His influence on Myrkenwood was much missed."

He paused then. "Forgive me. I shall fetch my coat." Which he did immediately and then ushered Genny to the door. "Lead the way m'lady. I trust myself to your good intentions."
Dulcie

Postby Tolleson » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:26 pm

“It has… I t-too am happy he is returned,” he would get his coat and lead the way she would. There is a small stumble here or there in the unfamiliar terrain backstage, nothing too drastic. They would make it to the carriage where the driver turned doorman immediately recovered from a lazy, leaning posture and ushered them in.

It was an awkward sight to be sure, but the exceedingly tall redhead easily contorted through the small door, settling in the far corner, backward facing seat so that a generous space is left for the councilor. The interior is nice. It possessed upholstered seats that may have been in vogue several years prior, some wear diminishing their state, but still lavish for most Myrken folk. So, just nice.

She offers as sigh, settling and smoothing her skirts as he joins her within. “As for… not knowing what you might contribute. Th-th-hat is… it is alright. In t-t-truth, every little bit helps… it is rather like many minuscule pieces come together. Not a bit makes sense alone.”

The driver be off without instruction once the two have settled. Perhaps, at first it seems he merely takes a strange road, but within a minute or two it is clear there is a destination, and the destination is not within the town.
Tolleson

Postby Dulcie » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:09 am

He was far more graceful than Genny, getting into the carriage with ease and grace. He had brought his cane with him, collected from beside his apartment door and now left to lean gently against the seat to his side, always within arm's reach.

"I suppose that it does. Might I inquire as to how you came by this position?" He asked curiously as the carriage began to move. He found himself somewhat intrigued by gentle little Genny who came seeking a truth so convoluted that even a man wouldn't likely uncover it.

"If I might make an observation, you seem like a lovely young woman. One I would have expected might have married some handsome farmer by this point in your life. The fact that you inside follow facts and truths beneath the Governor's tutelage intrigues me greatly. You are not what I might have expected, though it's a pleasant change of expectations."
Dulcie

Postby Tolleson » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:57 am

There were very few things less graceful than Genny. It is a fact she seems keenly aware of and in some small way, it allows her to appreciate the normal balance, fluidity of motion, and simple grace of others. She had watched him, keenly for a moment, before a pensive glance is spared out the sliver of window uncovered by the curtains.

There is a small shrug, “Perhaps not so differently… as how you became a Councilman.” She doesn’t sneer or grin as if she knows something he doesn’t, her smile is humble and sweet, her words indicating complete trust and utter respect for their Governor as the man responsible. “Mister Burnie offered it to me, of course… I was… I worked at t-t-the shop owned by t-the Councilor t-tr-Treadwell, before.” What she didn’t mention was the several years before that where she’d labored as a resident baker for Dulcie and only upon a brief stint at the university returned, to argue with the then mapmaker for changes, still yet to be seen.

“Mister Burnie is… is an interesting instructor, I had… I had not t-thought of him that way before. Perhaps, if he had not… been away for so long, I would possess faculties better equipped to solve t-t-this mystery.” But she seems to dismiss the notion, rather than dwell on the matter, as Berdini’s words sound to her as a compliment. Her eyes will flick away from his, to her hands in her lap, some shy escape from a conversation wherein she is the topic.

“I am … surprised by you, Councilor, I assumed you a worldly man,” her eyes returning to him. “Yet, I… you… say I defy your expectations. Perhaps… perhaps I know t-t-too little, but I find your expectations… rather shallow?”

The words were not said with an edge of offense, in fact, it was more self-deprecating as if she thinks herself hardly worthy of whatever praise she imagines he is offering. Even then, she continues on, a true student of Burnie in this respect.

“Regardless, I… I have run aground of facts t-t-to… t-to help Mister Burnie. T-that is why… I wish to hear all... your side, I suppose, and... what you know of t-the Lady Rhaena's... that night Mister Burnie went missing, t-the man, Giuseppe, and t-the pit... t-t-the Golben?” Perhaps if he knew the roads well, if he could feel it, he knew they headed there now.
Tolleson

Postby Dulcie » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:38 am

"How I became Councilman was quite simple, and I don't believe any mystery lingers behind that fact. The Governor called me to duty and I responded. Between you and I, I've never had any ambitions for politics." He listened to her experiences with Councilor Treadwell and the girl's own ambitions with a careful and considerate expression. "It's my understanding that women aren't awarded positions upon the Council, which is perhaps why the Councilman for defense was replaced by a chairwoman and a small committee. As if perhaps that females aren't trusted to make decisions on their own."

He let that linger just a moment as she continued with her surprise and perhaps offense. "It's not my opinion of course. I am as you put it, quite worldly. I've seen many kingdoms and visited many lands, and of all the places I've travelled the lot for womankind has been much better in this place than in others I've seen. Often women are denied the education that clearly Mister Burnie afforded to you. It's rare to meet such a cunning mind in a woman. Not because they are incapable of such, merely because they are often overlooked and marginalized. I do believe it's because us men would find ourselves having to prove ourselves if we had to compete with womenfolk."

He smiled warmly to her then, his green eyes shifting over her timid little motions, and how she held all the grace of a newborn gazelle. Had circumstances been different he would have taken great pleasure in trying to seduce the innocence from this woman. As it was, he had much a much bigger fish that he was chasing after. "What surprises me about you Miss Genny, is how you present yourself as so young, and unsure of yourself, and yet it's quite clear that you are rather aware of everything you are doing and exactly what you're seeking after. I admit, it's an attractive dichotomy." The last part spoken more of fact than flirtation.

He could feel the change in the road, the path they were taking and he would arch a brow slightly as he looked towards her.

"Do ask your questions, though I fear I know nothing of Guiseppe. I don't believe he and I have ever met."
Dulcie

Postby Tolleson » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:00 pm

To the tale of his appointment she merely nods, knowing well the opinion and place of women based on political precedent. Reinforcing the notion of worldliness that his demeanor and apartment’s furnishings had indicated she nods and smiles ever so slightly. The expression might have been wry, some unspoken musing, but it is poorly executed, she seems to smile simply, in agreement.

“I t-think… is merely t-t-the likeness I share with my brother, his t-t-truant behavior and propensity for idiocy… t-that afforded me any… measure of education," she says in agreement. After all, her father might have been counted among traditionalists in this sense. "T-that is… not to say Mister Burnie has not been generous… he… he overlooks very little.” He had taught her something, else why would she even be here?

To his remarks explaining his surprise she lifts a brow. For a moment she is quiet, considering the words, perhaps intending to completely ignore any perceptions of flirtation. Her cheeks betray her, a tinge of color rising behind the freckles, while her words remain on point, “I t-think you mistake… determination for confidence.” Executed more accurately this time, the wry smile that follows intends to say otherwise.

“I hope… you do not feel t-threatened,” she almost laughed, as if fully understanding how absurd the notion was as she spoke it, “I… have no intention of competing with you… or anyone.” There is another gentle shrug as her smile fades.

As for Giuseppe, he had been a friend, talking of him would have been difficult so it is all the better she needn’t linger on the dark thoughts of his death. Burnie had explained it to her that to heal a wound, care and salve were needed, a mending action, not the course, burning salt of truth. Yet, somehow just knowing that made the starkness of truth something of a respite. “I see… I do, apologize if any of my questions … may seem cold. I… I mean only to help.” She watched him closely, but her eyes are also unwavering, filled with genuine concern.

“Of the others… I wish to learn… if the Lady had your mind? She held and changed so many others.”
Tolleson

Postby Dulcie » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:53 am

He noted her blush and was pleased with it's presence. Such innocence and purity, it was such a rare treat, though it was far too dangerous with a mind like hers. Innocence and cleverness were a bad combination when it came to women. He was a clever man himself, and that was reason enough to stay away from girls like Genny.

"Determination is simply the reason for confidence Miss Genny. It's a trait that is either built upon with skill or one formed from necessity, but I can see it within you, and indeed, I think perhaps I do feel a little threatened." It was hard to tell if he was joking or not as his expression changed only slightly, with a touch of a smile on the corners of his lips.

"In truth though, one can not work in politics without perpetual feelings of threat. You are always watched, and there are always people who long for your position, though I must admit there aren't many that seem to be vying to oversee the arts."

He quieted then, letting her ask her questions.

"Ahh, that is a good question, though I'm not sure I can give you a good answer on it. How does one know if their mind has been taken? I have always been loyal to Mr. Burnie and Ms. Olwak, but to what extent were my decisions my own? It's so very difficult to tell. I may not have been changed as dramatically as some, but I am a mere mortal man, and I have no resistance to such magicks as the Lady held."
Dulcie

Next

Return to Myrken Wood