Tea House Tubbians

Tea House Tubbians

Postby Treadwell » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:19 am

Evening of the twenty-second day of the first month, 214.

"We here at the Church of Tubbius, mmph mmph, hold a special responsibility to Myrken Wood. We steward much of the remaining food and drink stores, hmph, which we have given to the least fortunate in town so that others might eat and know such bounty, mmph. Most of us here are among the wealthiest in the town."

Aloisius Horatio Treadwell pauses in his brief speech, here, to tug down at his yellow, ceremonial robe.

"Those who are, hmm hmm, have extensive families and staff waiting on us at home. Yet we cannot stop there, we children of Holy Tubbius!"

A huffy wheeze of breath; a rest of yellow-gloved, pudgy-fingered hands to belly behind the lectern that the rotund councilor and priest leans upon.

"The local businesses must know our support, in money and, if asked, other ways. Therefore, two mornings from now, I wish to see a group of us to gather here, mmph mmph, so that we might go together to the tea house of Petronela Kaczmarek, hmm hmm, to show support for her work here in town. She provides services, assistance, mmph, yet her business is knowing fewer customers as of late as people fall short of money. A dozen of us, I think, should go pay a visit. That should be a good, round number of good, round bodies, mmph mmph."

A nod. A lift of a baggy, yellow sleeve!

"Two mornings!. Dress yourselves well. Bring your wives, should they wish to come; tea and sandwiches and polite conversation are the matter, there. Nothing sordid, hmm hmm, nothing unsavory. We must help Myrken's shop owners and businesses, hmm hmm, if we are going to have a Myrken left!"

= = = = = = =

Noon, the twenty-fourth day of the first month, 214.

The tea house of Petronela Kaczmarek.

As promised to one of her girls earlier in the week, Councilor Treadwell and his entourage of Tubbian faithful arrive at the tea house. Yes, it is noon, but as they have already shared in a sizable lunch, no untoward gluttony or lack of manners will befall the location. Instead, with Aloisius politely leading the way with his beloved Alice beside, his arm around her waist, a group of eighteen steps up to the front entrance.

They are dressed in their finest of suits, robes, and dresses, these dozen men and half-dozen wives willing to accompany them. No priestly garments have been worn--at Treadwell's command! He wanted this to be a social gathering, not an opportunity to spread Tubbian faith to any others possibly in attendance. Unusual restraint is the command of the day.

Thus, social it is. Hats are lowered to mountainous middles by the various portly fellows. Treadwell gently thumps once with his cane, partly adjusting how he stands, and partly letting any others inside the tea house know of their arrival. An equally polite knock-knock follows on the door--one more signal, merely to see if the business is currently open.
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Re: Tea House Tubbians

Postby channe » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:58 am

When the teahouse doors open, the girl at the door -- young, skirted with light blue fabric and her hair in perfect curls -- blinks. And blinks again as the Tubbians enter, one after another.

"Welcome," she says, and then, again, "welcome, welcome," and more, "welcome," and then at the very first moment she scurries off to the kitchen, whispering very loudly -- "Miss Kaczmarek! Miss Kaczmarek! The Tubbians are here!"
channe

Re: Tea House Tubbians

Postby Treadwell » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:38 pm

"Mmph mmph! Careful, fellows! Mind the furniture. Eeeeasy, careful, mmph!" Thus does Aloisius H. Treadwell settle himself very slowly and gently into one of the seats provided after pulling a chair back for his Alice and helping her into it.

"Purely a social visit, of course, my dear," this to the nearest available serving girl as Tubbians wobble in and take their own seats. "We don't mean to be a bother, hmm hmm? If necessary, I can ask some of the group to leave, but I'd rather not, if it's all the same?"
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Return to Myrken Wood