A Note to Myrken's Favorite Squid Child

A Note to Myrken's Favorite Squid Child

Postby Treadwell » Tue May 05, 2015 9:24 am

A note arrives at the house N'vek inherited some time past, brought by a plump, blond-headed young man--one of the sons of Jack Alldale, town crier, visibly faithful Tubbian, and friend to Treadwell--and addressed to N'vek. If the boy were not found, it would be left stuffed in the crack of the front door, as clear of any looming rainclouds as it could be. The writing within is obviously that of a certain toymaker: sloppy, heavy, and, this time, sprinkled a few times with leftover biscuit crumbs.

= = = = = = =

N'vek,

My brother, Langley, reminded me of your help the other night in seeing me inside my house when I had fallen and quite nearly passed out from the pain of my leg's being hurt.

If at all possible, I wish to pay you back for your help or, at the very least, thank you in person and offer you a good meal. My doctor and my wife both say I am not to leave this house for any good amount of time yet while my knee heals. Given that I certainly cannot walk properly for now and therefore must be rolled about in this chair of mine, I, for once, must say that I agree with them.

Do come see me as soon as you might, if you please.

Aloisius Treadwell

= = = = = =
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Re: A Note to Myrken's Favorite Squid Child

Postby Shobits » Tue May 05, 2015 11:43 am

With spring fully arrived, N`vek had been staying at the Dagger less and less, aside from visits to the lake, he'd barely left the town. The last time he'd been out was just a few short days ago. The fire. N`vek still shuddered to think of it. Minor as it was, a fire is not to be trifled with. A few lost trees, some scarred land, and scariest of all, the fact that it had touched part of Treadwell's land. The fire had been dealt with swiftly, but even so the round councilor had done himself some harm in the process. N`vek had happened upon the scene on his way home and aided the large man's brother in getting Treadwell inside.

He hadn't expected to receive a letter from it. He was just helping the man out. Pay you back. The words stood out to the boy, Treadwell didn't need to... But the man was injured and bedridden, or he would be bedridden if not for that chair of his, either way the man wouldn't be seeing very many new faces. N`vek may as well visit the man, if only to see how Treadwell was fairing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

N`vek arrived at Treadwell's home and would knock upon the door.
Shobits

Postby Treadwell » Tue May 05, 2015 12:00 pm

The knock is answered soon enough; the paunchy, gray-haired butler in a black suit and a white cummerbund about his middle comes to answer. "Gregory," was it? His old voice is soft and quiet as he steps backward and extends a hand to motion the young man in.

"Welcome, master N'vek. M'lord Treadwell said to expect your arrival, or at the very least to hope for such soon. He will be pleased to know that he was right in that."

From some distant upstairs area, the sound of children's feet scurrying, running, playing. Shrill laughter.

"The Lord Steward has found it necessary to stay down here since the other night's accident, I fear. He managed to do his leg a bit of injury, worsening an old break from many years ago when he was a much younger man, and due to this, he must stay on this floor of the house in his wheelchair."

More laughter above prompts a glance upward.

"Rowdy little things, those children. I am quite certain their mother will see to them soon enough if I do not, first. Now, young master, Lord Treadwell is through here, to the right. He was asleep earlier, but when I looked in on him a few moments ago, he was working on some new toy, as he had me send for particular items from his store this morning."

Thus leading N'vek into the front hall of the house with its plush, carpeted floor and its paintings on the walls of Aloisius, Langley, Elizia, Alice, and the nine children, the butler comes to a stop as, from the left, at the open doorway opposite the door to the right beyond which Treadwell rests, comes an inquisitive whronk and snuffling as Pinky the sow pokes her great head into the hall to study the boy squid.

"In here, sir. Lord Treadwell should be parked near his couch across the room, by the bar, and, as stated, he should be awake and working on some stuffed toy or other."

A chuckle from the butler.

"That's assuming he hasn't reached up to the bar and fetched himself a bellyful of something to ease his pain a bit."
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Shobits » Tue May 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Treadwell was expecting him, hopefully the councilor didn't think he had come here just for some sort of reward. Treadwell knew him better than that! At least, N`vek hoped so.

"Hullo, Gregory" N`vek greeted, ever so polite. At least N`vek wasn't the skittish squidling today. He was positive, he was out going, and he had control of that color changing skin of his! True, he now had a human form to use at will, but N`vek had lapsed in using it for some reason.

He nodded at Gregory's explanation. "Yes, Ser. I understand." How would Treadwell even get up the stairs in that wheeled chair contraption of his? It seemed an impossible feat. N`vek, too glanced up at the sound of feet and laughter. His tentacle wrung about one another idly behind the boy. The wriggling limbs picked up on something before he heard the whronk or shuffling.

"Pinky!" he called in surprise. Even though he'd spent a night here before it was still startlng to see such a large pig right in the house, and so close and snuffling away at him. But Treadwell soon took up the boy's attention.

"Ser Treadwell. How are you feeling today?"
Shobits

Postby Treadwell » Tue May 05, 2015 1:34 pm

From butler to pig to toymaker. As N'vek enters the small bar room, the butler shuts the door and shushes away the piggy friend.

Aloisius Treadwell sits by the bar in the room indicated, as suspected, though no bottle or glass fills his hand or the crook of an arm. He is a bit simply dressed, though, wearing but a blue cap and a matching blue nightgown underneath the plush, purple blanket that covers his body and legs. Why ought he dress up when he isn't leaving the house? His gowned arms flop atop his sides, his pudgy fingers drumming lazily there. His usually present cane hangs in a sheath at the side of the chair. A plush, white horse (recently finished) sits near to him on the couch; a brown sack of other toys in progress rests by that same horse.

"N'vek, m'boy, mmph mmph!" comes the merry, wheezy greeting. "I see you made it here well enough!" A nod, though he makes no motion to roll himself any closer.

"You got my note, I take it? I wanted, mmph, to thank you properly, lad, though I'm hardly decent company for such, hm hm, sitting here in my gown with a leg propped up under a blanket, mmph, nigh useless!" A chuckle escapes. "In all honesty, dear boy, mmph, I'm just trying not to move much. Moving hurts."

A huffy, hefty sigh.

"Now, the short of it. . . You could have just left me out there the other night. The woods were on fire in spots, mmph, and it was close enough to being here."

Mmph mmph.

"Umm. . . Thank you, N'vek, for helping me inside instead of leaving me to roast out there. Langley said he and Gregory did the worst of it, mmph, but all the same. . . . Is there aught I can do to pay you back, hm hm?"
Treadwell

Postby Shobits » Tue May 05, 2015 2:44 pm

Treadwell was in his nightclothes and had a blanket on him. With the large man n the wheeled chair and under that blanket, the normally jolly figure looked... well, Treadwell looked his age. Weakened and injured. Stuck in his house. It was a rather nice house, but to be caged without a choice? That was horrible. Surely they were letting Treadwell out for some sun and air! N`vek's eyes traveled from the horse to the sack and then back to Treadwell. At least the councilor had been keeping himself busy.

"Yes, Ser. I've arrived as per your invitation." N`vek fidgeted a little, tentacles continued to wind about themselves behind him. "You scarcely need entertain me. Ser! You're injured! I'm here to keep you company" the boy countered then frowned as Treadwell said You could have just left me out there the other night.

"I could hardly just walk on by with you prone on the ground with a fire so close!" ... Treadwell wanted to reward him, he knew that from the letter. And that was not why he had accepted the invitation. "But, I didn't do anything..."
Shobits

Postby Treadwell » Tue May 05, 2015 2:52 pm

Treadwell lifts a hand toward the couch nearby, motioning toward the cushions there that aren't covered up with a plush animal and a bag of the same.

"You were here making sure I, my brother, and my butler made it inside in one piece, mmph, and given that Langley's older than me, hm, and Gregory's no young man by far, hm hm. . . . That is all, m'boy. Sit yourself, then, if you mean to keep me company; I, hmph, will not disallow that of you!" Another chuckle as a whuff of air deflates the old man.

"Most folks in Myrken Wood would not have been so kind, N'vek. That is all I mean to say, I suppose. Other than, well. . . I have not been away from my house since all of that madness. I have barely been outside, in truth; it is all far too muddy, still, from the rains that helped put those fires out, mmph mmph."

A nod. A scratch-scratch at chin underneath beard.

"Have the constables learned anything? Do we know what caused it all, or who? What can you tell me?"
Treadwell

Postby Shobits » Tue May 05, 2015 3:30 pm

So many plushies all about Treadwell's room (probably none of a squid). He's been a busy man. N`vek awkwardly took the offered seat.

"I did..." he admitted. "And company is why I'm here." His tentacles finally ceased their winding and twitching and laid against the boy's back. "I see how it can be a problem for you to go outside." For all the reasons Treadwell just gave and more. Not to mention N`vek was skeptical about the wheeled chair working anywhere but indoors.

At Treadwell's question however, N`vek shook his head. "I haven't heard anything on the matter."
Shobits

Postby Treadwell » Tue May 05, 2015 3:51 pm

"Nothing at all, eh?"

Hrmph. A whimpered squeak as he accidentally shifts his weight in his chair, upsetting the leg propped up on pillows in his chair where he reclines.

"Well, then, I suppose I'll have to get Gregory to go send someone asking questions for me, mmph. I simply cannot sit here, mmph, without staying informed, dear boy!"

Huff of air. That simple, failed movement has already left him short of breath and pained for a few moments. Then? A change of topic?

"Mmph. Doctor Jacobson suspects the leg just needs time to heal. He thinks it just twisted wrong when I turned from the shed, mmph, that it is not broken again." Wet, watery fear comes to those squinty eyes, though. "You, erm, you broke a limb before, yes? I think? Horrible thing. Horrible. It usually leads to the limb being lopped off, mmph, or nearly useless after all the same."

Tready's left hand goes back to his left, pat-patting the side of his walking cane, an instrument that has seen very little use the last few days and likely will see as little over the days to come.

"Either way, I have to know something. I need eyes and ears out there, N'vek, mmph, folks I can trust who aren't busy running the place."

Now, what does he mean by that?
Treadwell

Return to Myrken Wood