Of and Relating to the Events of the Year 215

Of and Relating to the Events of the Year 215

Postby Glenn » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:25 am

There were constants in Myrken Wood, safe certainties that could be counted upon, season after season, year after year. They were the pillars that held up the establishment, the foundations that withstood the winds of change. They were few and far between, however, and in the face of such unfortunate realities, beggars in fields afar could most certainly not be choosers.

So it was that Aloisius Horatio Treadwell would receive a letter, beaten and battered by weather and time, at his toyshop, were it still standing.

Aloisius,

I send this letter with a request empowered by the age-old force of goodwill known as "I would do this for you were our situations reversed," and expect to find that more than enough to move your hand, aged and gout-ridden as world-weary as it must be, now in the midst of winter. I write to you from Razasan. It is upon you, my old friend, to decide whether or not to believe me when I tell you that I do what I can for Myrken, for its freedom, for its autonomy, and maybe for it's well-being. It's really more of a look the other way sort of situation though. Frankly, no one wants to look at Myrken for long.

I hear things, of course, but not much. I'd have returned in a moment if I had heard of one of the more outlandish possibilities, war with Darkenhold, my wife returning from the grave, a drow invasion, you being kidnapped or otherwi., that sort of thing. But I worry I am behind on the news of the last year and ask you to write me a few detailed paragraphs, putting in your own words, from your own, unique point of view, a summary of the major events.

Were you to do this, I would be in your debt once again.

Your friend no matter what others might claim,
Glenn Burnie
Glenn
Co-Founder

Re: Of and Relating to the Events of the Year 215

Postby Treadwell » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:34 am

The toy shop.

Luckily for the one who brought the message, Treadwell would indeed be found there, dozing next to his fire in one of his wide-bodied rocking chairs. The old man rises long enough to answer the door; coins change hands in payment for the service, of course, and then Aloisius makes his way back to his seat, with an invitation to "Come, rest yourself; I have a spare room to the left, there."

No local man, this visitor, bringing this message. Again, to the feet, this time to fetch ink and quills and a knife to sharpen them--oh, and paper to write on! After time for the ink to dry and the messenger to rest with Treadwell by the fire, that messenger would almost immediately be sent out again. Letters to Razasan require some considerable time to travel.

Dearest Glenn,

Paragraphs.

You ask for paragraphs, dear fellow, when this past year has been dull by comparison to others. There has been no unrest. There have been none of the usual witches or monsters or fiends or rogues or scoundrels. If anything, the most excitement this town has seen was an assassination attempt on my own life at the first of the year and a highway robbery that resulted in the death of a dear friend the month after. Myrken has been quiet and downright sensible, for once. All is quite well, which is just how the King should have it, yes?

Therefore, there is no major news to report, Mister Burnie. The Council meetings are mildly sluggish affairs, what with the Council being so large, now, but I am more than used to managing them with my past experience. We talk a lot. With the Lady Egris V--

A pause here is accompanied by a blotch of ink after the V. Then, on a new line:

Hang it all, Glenn. I never can remember how to spell that woman's last name. I had to find it in my notes: Verreaux. There! With her leaving to continue her duties elsewhere, that means we have had a return to normal life, absent of soldiers or such. That also means I have been able to make sure everything goes smoothly, here. Granted, as already stated, we have had no major crises as of late. I think the worst bit of business has been, oh, having to choose what I want for breakfast, and we both know that can quite impact the town.

Now, you wanted something more substantial, but I fear that you simply picked a bad time to ask. Write me back in a few months, I reckon, and I shall just as likely have tales of plagues and bugs and whatever else.

I should fancy that all of this should give His Majesty even more reason not to worry about this little speck on a map, which I am sure he would agree to.

Be safe. Stay well. Do bring a present from Razasan, if you come back here, and, by Tubbius's great gut, eat something once in a while!

From my toy shop, which is doing quite well,

Aloisius Horatio Treadwell

Myrkentown, 1/216
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Return to Myrken Wood