To Honor The Good and Noble...

To Honor The Good and Noble...

Postby Rance » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:41 pm

A post, wide and curious, posted about the town's square ... bright, ribbon-laden, of full parchment and regal handprint. The announcement read:

Hear ye, all citizens of Myrken Wood:

Trials and tribulations, storms and aeons, evils and famine -- through all of these, Myrken Wood has thrived for so long, due to the pride and heart of the many locals that live within our walls, and those kind visitors that frequent .. and so, we have decided to recognize those who make Myrken Wood our safe and happy home.

On the sixteenth of March, at 9 hours past noon, the Council of Myrken Wood will be sponsoring a formal, public dinner. All are welcome to attend! We will be recognizing the brave and the noble among Myrken and its visitors; the strong and the true; those people who help keep Myrken Wood secure, as well as those who continue to help it thrive and prosper.

Have you any candidates you would like us to honor, alive, or dead? Feel free to post your recommendations here, with the name(s) of those you would like to honor, and for why. Signatures are optional -- submissions may be anonymous.

Submissions for the first annual Dinner of Good Hope will be collected from this board on the second day of March, and will be tallied by the council. The whole of Myrken is invited! Please, bring your families, your friends, your heros! Let March be now known as the month of Myrken Wood Pride -- in the midst of darkness, let there be light!

-- Sincerely, the Myrken Wood Council

----------------------------------------
OOC Note: This was an idea we thought might be fun. We'll be holding a formal dinner IC at #BD_Square on March 16th, 2004, at 9:00 P.M., EST. The way it works is this:

On this board, posts notes from your characters with who they're going to nominate to be awarded a recognition at the dinner, and why. We're not looking for just heros -- we're looking for any characters that do their jobs, duties, and tasks well; we're looking for characters that uphold the pride of Myrken Wood. We're looking for characters who have created a good legend in some way or another ... characters who've made a difference in Myrken Wood -- not just super-duper heros, even though they're allowed, too! :)

We'll narrow it down to the most relevant by amount of considerations, and the others will be honorable mentions. Just thought it might be a fun idea ... so have at it!

--Rance
Rance
Co-Founder

Postby Treadwell » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:14 am

OOC:

When Tready gets back in town and sees this, what's stopping him from recommending himself as a hero simply to get an extra portion of food? ;)
Treadwell

Joseph O'Cynen's Vote:

Postby Rattrap » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:55 pm

I've known many individuals during my time that would are entirely deserving of such an award; many are good friends that I see every day. But there's one individual who stands out in my mind as much as he stands out in the crowd; an individual who showed me the greater qualities of man that most men don't have.

Kazanthi de-Arluun.

Even if his plans didn't work out for a Festival of Lights the first time around, here we 'try, try again'.

- Councilor Joseph O'Cynen
Rattrap

Postby Rance » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:01 pm

February 28th.

He had come running to her, panting .. rushing in through the corridors, and bursting into the den as though he were a hurricane -- .. a hurricane of gowns, flourishing red curls, and cheek-filled smiles. Chest was heaving, and he was using those twisted, clawed fingers to pull Nurse Galamone's hands away from her knitting. She could still feel the lumps in his knuckles, where fingers had been severed over a month before, and had graciously healed, if only at the whim of this remarkable child's peculiar origin.

".. C-.. Can you write what I tell you to write, Miss Galamone?" The woman was his nurse -- was his caretaker when beloved Mother was out-of-country on business or negotiation. Miss Galamone -- wife of the Captain of the Narian Guard -- was a slightly overweight lady, jolly and eager to spend her time with the boy and his older sister. Now and again, she *did* smell slightly of body-odor -- but with two children to care for, as well as a family of her own to feed elsewhere, where was there time for that bi-weekly bath?

She wrinkled her nose as the boy interrupted her crocheting. "Write?" She plucked from Phlynn's hands a crumpled piece of parchment, and the sliver of charcoal he was ofering to her. "What would you wish me to write, sweetheart?"

"A note."

"A note for what?" She reached out to try to tickle at his ribs with pudgy fingers. He backpeddled.

"I .. I heard some men where all of my friends live--" .. and the boy spoke of Myrken Wood. "--that they were going to have a big, grand dinner, and that we c-.. could honor whoever we thought was a good person, even if they're .. dead, and put it up o-.. on a board, and they'll be congratulated."

She smiled softly -- dimples on her cheeks, only that there were ones on his. She would set her knitting quietly aside, and by the crackling light of the den fire, would peer at the parchment. Poor child, that he knew not how to read or write ... but with those hands, who expected any more?

Miss Galamone rubbed at her round nose. "I think that's splendid, little one. So then," she began, poising charcoal over parchment. The shadow of the makeshift pencil darted off across the edge of the page. "You recite, and I--" She paused, with a steepled grin, and a wiggle of the charcoal as though it were a sceptre. "--shall take down the words of the wise."

"Well," The boy began, an arm crossing before his belly .. and on this, an elbow was mounted, while chin was placed thoughtfully into the curl of his palm. "I think I'll-.. I'll start with. . ."

---------------------------

I, Phlynn Marion Johnford, would like to honor the following for being good people and doing good things in no order of importance because they're all good people.

Quincy, for protecting Murky Woods, and being brave and unkillable and saving everyone whenever she can and being a wonderful friend to someone who doesn't have many.

Miss Lyonette, for being a good guardian, and a good shoulder to cry on, and being someone who saved my life and helped me feel better.

Mister Dhugal, for protecting the faeries like I do ... and for helping someone who was blind see their way again.

Miss Khalika, for throwing punches when others are too scared to do so, and for being loyal to all of her friends, no matter what the odds are.

Miss Lamai, for smelling sweet and being a healer in other ways than just using medicines -- but for being a face full of smiles and arms full of hugs when they're needed, too.

Mister Heldenbrand and Miss Ari, for being brave and going after that big black ugly fool with the stupid hair. I just wish Miss Ari knew that she didn't need to be scared of anything, because it's big black fools that hurt people, not Phlynns with ugly hands.

----------------------------

.. The boy had thought of nominating the brave Ahmed -- .. but he was wanted by the Guard, he knew; would not endager the man by inviting him to a public dinner, though he was certainly a hero amongst heros, to the boy.

He would be fast and swift in posting it -- in the night, quiet, smiling proudly while he mounted his announcement amidst the others before disappearing off beyond the square of Myrken Wood.
Rance
Co-Founder

Anonymous

Postby Madel_H » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:26 am

Swift bold strokes would line the page, a steady hand scribing the nominees he would wish to honor, even though the words were somewhat marred by misspellings.

~Councilor Treadwell. A man of grate karacter, humor, and size. In a world plaged with evils of every kind, Councilor Treadwell has been a bacon of lite prooving that no matter how dark things may get, there will always be shugar cookies.

The Common Man. For the men and wimen who put forth all their effort to keep this world turning. Without the farmers and the millers and the grocers, the world would be just one big battle.

Terron. My son. I haven't always been able to be there for him, but he pulls throo and makes evrything work regardles. His kurage has given me hope for the future of the world. We need more children like him.

Wilwarin. My wi- ~

The note would be cut short. A single, broad stroke covering the final few words. The quill pen would be placed in the inkwell and sand scattered over the wet ink to aid in drying. After that, it was posted on the board in the middle of the night by a claoked figure.
Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters- but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy.
Madel_H

for Fallen Friends and little knights....

Postby Khalika » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:45 pm

The gypsy Stood before the display, reading about dinners and heroes..she was actually there under duress, as the shorter figure beside her had dragged her off. So her letter could be placed....Clutched tightly in pale pink mitted hands it read in a lovely written form..

~I would ask For my friend Phlynn to be honnored at your grand affair for he is a Knight which is like a hero, and he is more then what he seems and people should now that....for good comes in all packages...

And for my sister Khalika though I think she would scowled me if she knew, but she is good aswell...Though she hides it carefully. But she Protects me from harm...And I believe she also protects others, though she would never admit it. And I would dearly love to see her smile again....

I thank-you for these consideration, and cannot wait for your Grand affair...

Sincerly and with much reguard..
Wyrin~

The letter is handed off to her elder sister to be pinned to the board, with the other that are already collected..a smile find blueberry lips as the young Fae, skips off. As she does so the Gypsy herself slips a note hidden from view and places it also upon the board...it does not hold the florishing accord of her sister hand and state plainly

~Dhugal Mcpharlan,

For doing what was right....no matter the cost...~

There is no name attached, and soon the women is heading off to follow her sister....
Khalika

Postby Suede » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:46 am

There wasn't anyone he was particularly insistent upon honoring, but upon passing the notice, and taking head of several other nominee's there had been the whim to add his own statement for one. Thus Suede had left a note just below the one's left by Khalika and sister, written in tactful sharp... chickenscratch.

~Phlynn,
For being the person in this town with the brazen and courage to teach Alexi Rose a lesson or two about compassion and cruelty.~
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."
~ Dark Helmet, Spaceballs
Suede

Postby Vanidor » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:23 pm

He was resting, now. The pain of a harsh cut to the stomach slowly healing thanks to the arts of his physicans... and that of the potions that Elil had borne with her. Rest, of course, always came with the need to, at the least, read through the paperwork that had built up during his absence. One of these was the bit of news decreed by the Council. The Dinner of Good Hope. There were many that would need mention, too many for him to recount in such a missive. Heroes who were not heroes, but simply men.. and for that, indeed, they were counted amoungst the highest of men. And so, Burel turned to the adjutant that was besides him. His own hands were still too shakey to write on his own.

--------------

To the Honourable Council of Myrkenwood.

Over the many years there are a large number of persons who are deserving of recognition. Some known by my own hand, others only through story and tale. However, in the now, there are some whome I believe are most in need of such acclaim as you wish to provide.

Firstly, there is the woman, Thorn. Though her I did not know personally, I have seen her actions and believe her to be made up of the stuff of legend. Through her works, were many saved from certain destruction.

Secondly, there is the man, Jason Heldenbrand. Some would have considered him a fool for his idea on using the people of Myrken as soldiers. Yet he saw with the keen eye of a Soldier himself. He knew his duty, and deserves to be acknownledged for his part in all actions.

Thirdly, and this is one of the most proud things I have to say, is the soldier Gerard Marquise. Truely, I could shower acclaim upon his head with laurels and pearls, for many of his actions have been born out of loyalty to myself and to our Country. Yet, dispite this all, he has acted out of true honour for that which he, himself, cares for.

Next, for her part... I would also desire to acclaim my own Duchess for such an honour. Simply for the fact of having to put up with a stodgy old war-horse like myself. And for having survived the travails that the daemon-spawned Drow delivered unto her. The simple tavern-maid deserves better than she has been given.

There are others, of course. Lady Ariane with her strong-sword and spirit. Coran D`Zir for his actions that have saved this township at least once. The Paladin, Millia, who I know only by reputation. The tea-drinking warrior, Elil, as well has traits worthy of respect and prestige. Quincy, for her unquenchable need for justice and right... Sometimes a hammer speaks louder than the law.

Lastly, of course, there are the people of Myrkenwood itself. That they contiue to exist in such a time as this, without fail, is the greatest of herorics. May Adon bless them always with his Light.

Burel Tassnehof.
Duke of Thessilane

One should always be drunk. That's all that matters... But with what? With wine, with poetry, or with virtue, as you chose. But get drunk. - Charles Baudelaire

Vanidor

Postby Katyara » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:46 am

Freya squinted at the parchment on the wall of the square, reading slowly as she becomes thoughtful. A sparkle comes to the idea as she has a rather sly idea. With all her heart she believed in who she was to nominate, but perhaps in this nomination she would create more awareness for the dire situation of the Rememdium Edificium since the attack.
Taking a small quill and ink pot she kept on hand for her notes she began to write in the leather bound book with blank parchment a formal letter.

To Whom it may concern:
It has been brought to my attention that you seek ones that represent the best of us all and seek widespread information concerning those that people would say are worthy of recognition. However I would say that you don't have far to look as the person most worthy of your praise has worked inside these city walls and well within your sights for almost a year. With continued acts of selflessness he has healed others and established a place of sanctuary for all. I feel that not only should attention be brought to his efforts but the fruits of his efforts as well. Doctor David D'Rael has proven his nobility and valor of heart many a times and perhaps it would do well for the council to recognize such.

This writing being rather flowery and writing an elegant script, the rather tom boyish female knew that she would be the least expected to leave such a note. She tacks the note to the parchment on the wall with a smirk on her face and blue green eyes glittering on satisfaction. At last she would be able to give back to the man that gave her a chance despite the obvious secrets she held. Sometimes that diplomatic training came is useful, as she strode off to the Inn for a drink.
The night is my companion, the solitude my guide...
Katyara

The Best and Bravest...

Postby Zorana » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:17 pm

To the esteemed Council of Myrken Wood:

I send greetings, Councilors, and many blessings to your lands.

It has been some long months since we have spoken, and the burden of troubled times rests on both our shoulders. I have heard only that your troubles have grown and multiplied, and I sorrow at such tidings.

I hope to be of greater assistance to you in future days, to stand beside Duke Burel and the Council in defending the people of this land.

I, too, would like to see honor done to those who have defended it for so long.

For your festival, gentlemen, please honor the guardsmen of the Order of Straka. Though vampires, demons, and dark elves may assault your lands, the guardsmen work every day to keep Myrkenwood as safe as possible. They cannot work miracles, but I do know that they try.

Please give thanks to the assistance of the Duke Burel Tassnehof of Thessilane. His armies and his own person have always been a great asset to Myrkenwood in troubled times.

And do not forget to thank those who do not follow the traditional route of heroism. There are many Myrken citizens whose presence you could not do without, though some would never want any glory added to their names.

Honors should be bestowed upon the lady Quincy Randall, but thanks should be given to all the people of Myrken, every day. They must fight to survive, as we all must, in this world of shadows and nightmares.

May your festival go well, and your lives be long and prosperous. The best of luck to you, gentlemen.

With all sincerity,

Gareth Rayin Taliaferro
Prince of New Dauntless

The letter was carefully folded and sealed with a blob of green wax, stamped with the crest of the Tetrarchy of New Dauntless. It was delivered to the Meetinghouse by a young soldier, whose green tunic bore the same crest. He stayed in the area for about a week, in case there happened to be a reply.
Did you ever wonder what happens when there's dirt on the "Bat Signal?" It wouldn't even look like a bat anymore. Maybe they'd accidentally summon a superhero named "Misshapen Blob Man." I bet he weighs 900 lbs. and comes in the "Misshapen Blobmobile." And the cops go, "Aaah! Clean the lens!" And his theme could be the Batman song at about 10 R.P.M.

Shameless Art Promotion Starts Here.
Zorana

A letter written in strange hand writing.

Postby Pipkin » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:46 am

This letter is folded neatly, and upon opening, one could see that it is written in words that look as if they had been painted on instead of written with a quill. Though the spelling is somewhat decent, the owner of this angular handwriting obviously does not have a very good grip upon the English language.

"Not no many persun here to be Onor-ble but see many persun hoo do job very good.

I first like say that Pri-churd..Bar man at Broken Dagger tavern very good man. He give place of sleep to peeple who need very bad..and sometime no ask many queschun.

I also say Kill-born good and do his dooty. Even he arrest me when I do thing rong..and I say that can be hard thing to do.

I also thank Tred-well. Funny fat man always very kind to every-one he see. No matter they good persun, bad persun, or me.

This wat I say.

The letter is signed, but not in the English language..just with a series of well-painted Japanese kanji.
Even a single lamp dispels the Darkness.
Pipkin

Postby Treadwell » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:07 pm

The next note on the list would be one penned in a heavy, sloppy script. Inkblots litter the note, although the spelling and punctuation are, at least, flawless.

= = = = =
Joseph: we wrote up this petition, or at least it implies such! There's no need for any of us on the Council to leave something addressed to ourselves, eh? Of course, we both know I'm being humorous.

But, that said, I would heartily recommend Governor Altias Bromn for guiding Myrken through all as of late, and I would solemnly request a moment of silence for Mr. Gad Phuri and Mr. Tetsi Avarante, both of whom gave their lives, purses, and attentions to the same cause.

--Councilor Treadwell
= = = = =
Treadwell

Quincy's nomination

Postby Whisper » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:12 pm

Deer cowncel,

I wud liek tu nomenate Flyn he is werthy of much praze He fites with grate pashun in his hart

I wud liek also tu nomenate Aree Carnith Emury she is mi sister and that is wy I nomenate her she is guud and tru and fiting always with me

I wil nomenate Bisk I call him herry but he saeved me from Zaykin and is always thair for me

I will nomenate won mor he heeled me and I did not dy it is gud sumtiems tu hav heelers His naem is Koran

Thay are trew heros

frum,
Quincy
The hue of dungeons and the scowl of night ...
Whisper

Postby Carnath-Emory » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:02 pm

I, Giscard Guillaume, Lord of Lothbury Estate, Councilor of the Myrken Wood Judiciary In Regards To Commerce and Trade Etc., to the Honourable Members of the Myrken Wood Judiciary. Greetings. As regards nominations for recognition at our dinner to be held this sixteenth day of March, I present the following personages for your consideration.

Gad Phuri and Tetsi Avarante, the sadly deceased amongst our number.

The woman Thorn and man Jason Heldenbrand, lately of Lady Darkblayde's Broken Dagger Inn, slain in service to our very township.

The mage Coran D'zir and the man known as The General, who have both served our town well, in time of most dire need.

Duke Burel Tassnehof and Prince Rayin Taliaferro, who have readily rode to our aid, when alien horrors threatened our borders and our lives.

Done by my hand at the Estates of Lothbury, this 17th day of February

Giscard Guillaume
Carnath-Emory

Postby Eriks » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:41 pm

i lyk kincy k thanx

- Biske
Eriks

Next

Return to Myrken Wood