Black Danger

Black Danger

Postby Sephiran » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:31 pm

The wheezing, gasping breath was heard long before the fellow entered the open door, where the Constables and Guards had decided in the heat of the day, with dreary rain and gentle wind, it would be nice for fresh air to enter the gaol house, to clean out the stagnant smells of cells and musty corners. The man was frail-looking, his sandy hair dripping water and swear, shoulders hunched under the tunic and vest; a farmer, perhaps. A poor, sick tenant. He coughed, held up his hand, and put his head down between his knees, wheezing and heaving. After several moments, it was evident that he was no a sick soul, but a worn-out one. Someone had been running.

"Me fairther sent me up eya. We liv' ert north west on the towns-edge fields. 'ee said-he said ee saw a dragon."

The Guard behind the counter slowly lowered his quill to stare at the exhausted man. He had ran quite a way, if he came from the fields. But his words are more...incredulous. "A dragon. He saw a dragon."

"Arr, a lickle 'un. Black as noight. Sin it mower than once, ee 'as. It 'as not done anythen yet, but me fairther is worroid abart the livestock guin missen. An' if it is just a lickle 'un, where the bigger ones am..."

"Riiight," the Guard says slowly before dropping the quill completely, coming around to pull a chair out from the nearest desk, offering the clearly spent man a seat to rest in. "Of course, we do not want anything to happen to livestock anywhere. So we will put in a complaint with one of the Constables, eh? They can investigate and take care of it as is necessary."

"That sounds loike a roight bostin idae." He slowly lowers himself into the seat, mopping sweat and rain off his brow, fanning himself lightly even as a gentle wind wafts through the open door. "Ta bab well much. Me fairther wull be chuffed ter hear that summat is guin ter get done abart the kait an' daisy."
Sephiran

Re: Black Danger

Postby Selestia » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:20 am

The rain made some of the heat a bit more tolerable, so the open door was a happy reprieve when a gentle breeze wafted through. Unfortunately, sometimes the breeze was a bit more than gentle and tossed papers on the desk. Perilat slapped his left hand down on the forms he was reading, but…

"Me fairther sent me up eya. We liv' ert north west on the towns-edge fields. 'ee said-he said ee saw a dragon."

For a few moments, the Constable could do nothing but look up from the desk and stare. Whaaat did he say? He mouths the words, repeating them, and then finally gets the gist of it all; dragon over the fields. Got it. The clerk takes the chair across from his desk to let the poor bloke sit in it, and the lawman just continued to stare and watch as the rest of the story unfolded. Again, more mouthing of the words to translate—the man’s dialect was more boggling than Ailova’s, and he was becoming well-versed in translating her random chitchat.

Elbow on the desk, the man props his chin up and simply stares blankly as he listens to the rest of it. Put in a complaint with a Constable. Perilat would give the clerk a decidedly annoyed look—it was a lazy, slow and quiet day, which was why the man was behind a desk doing paperwork rather than being out and about like he normally was. And it was his chair that was taken. So.

“Alright, alright,” he says with an exaggerated sigh, slapping his hands on the desk before leaning forward. “Little black dragon over the Towns-Edge Fields. How little is little, exactly? I mean, it would look little if it was flying really high, so maybe it was a big one flying high, or really a little one flying low? And which way did it go?” The Constable leans back in his chair, looking slightly put-upon. Dragons. They did not need to be in the Myrken; they had enough problems with other denizens than having to worry about the large scaly kind.

“Give me more details, ser, and I’ll see what I can do about it.”
Selestia

Re: Black Danger

Postby Sephiran » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:53 pm

“Well I doy see it muself,” he says slowly, yanking a soiled length of handkerchief from a pocket to sop up his sweating brow. Rain only did so much to cool the air. Especially if the man has run all that way from the fields to the gaol. “Me fairther saw it. Said it was over the fields an' then off toward the woods. Anover reason ter not goo in woods, roight? Red devils an' crazy people an' wolves... An' noo dragons!”

Sweat gelled as it cooled on his skin, making his thin shirt stick to his frame with that wafting scent of earth and body odor that was sure to be unpleasant for the officers in such close quarters, but he did not seem to notice in the slightest. He was looking at the lawman, his expression one of earnest hope. “You'll luke into it, roight? Me fairther sent me up eya ter insist that summat be done before it starts eaten the livestock or wuss, the chil’ren!”

He found his feet, stretching scrawny limbs as he looks back toward the open door. He was going to have to run back home, all the way there, and get back to work. The father he loved enough to run all the way here to report the sighting would beat him bloody if he did not finish his work. Tough love.

"I doy knoo much abart dragons, but I knoo what me grammy told me. They're bad news fer dinky places loike this. tek care of it, ser. Ployz!" With a stiff nod of his head toward Perilat, then the clerk, and he runs out of the building, not planning to stop running until he was back in the fields.
Sephiran

Return to Barracks / Gaol