Hickensen's End

Hickensen's End

Postby Rattrap » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:30 pm

Sergeant Hickensen had always done his best at everything he tried. For a better part of his life, that was defending the lives of Myrken citizens as a member of the Order of Straka. He had a wife, no children, a sister and a diseased old mother who couldn't recognize him for the life of her.

And tonight, he died.

The Sergeant had been taken prisoner rather suddenly, not far from the Broken Dagger. Even before he fell unconcious, he knew what was going on - not necessarily by who or for what, but he knew the old story. When Hickensen awoke, it was to a blindfold and torture. At that moment, Sergeant Hickensen knew he was going to die.

He also had a damn good idea who was running the torture show.

"I'll speak, but only to Roschen," he'd demand of their questions, though the request would never be granted.

Still, it was a goal to hold out for - one that allowed Hickensen to hold off for a great passing of time. He held little hope of rescue; but as long as they weren't giving in to his demand, he'd make them dig their questions, inch by inch. Still, the Sergeant learned what he needed to by the questions they asked - Interrogation 101. One learns just as much from the interrogators by what they ask as the answers given.

"Heh heh...see, now I know Suede is here. And that means you'll have to kill me. Then they can pin you for murder and let you rot for life, #$%&*&%s!" he'd bravely say when there was no doubt left. He might've lost his fingers for that, or just because.

"Just remember...even dead men talk," he'd caution.

Sergeant Hickensen had his moments. The rest of the time was filled with pain, agony, and screams from the tormented man. He whimpered as he lost a thumb, a couple of fingers, a nipple - along with the regular skull-bashing and rib-cracking.

His only hope was to communicate. Tonight, they gave him that hope.

Sergeant Hickensen was brought to Straka's Barracks by a couple men. He was a mess, of course - thumbless, fresh wounds still bleeding. But as he was being dragged across the roof opposite the Barracks, Hickensen got what he hoped for. The two men wouldn't notice; he picked at the bloody scab that had replaced his thumb, drawing fresh blood. He had no shirt and his flesh was as good a writing surface as any.

He was almost finished when they cut his throat and dropped him to plummet two stories, where he hit the cobblestone and died.

The Order of Straka had been quick to respond; once the body had been identified, the Barracks went on alert. The two men escaped, but one woman did not - Sill was captured in Captain Daniels' office as they were moving Hickensen's body. The Captain spared no time with her, having her locked up elsewhere in the Barracks until things cooled down and he could talk to her personally.

Captain Daniels and another guardsman were left to inspect the body of Sergeant Hickensen. Kneeling beside the fallen guard, Thomas looked a twisted mix of anger and sleep deprivation.
"Sergeant...damn! ...I need a name! A weapon carelessly tossed! Somewhere, a mistake..."

While they say dead men tell no tales, Hickensen was different. The other guardsman interrupted Daniels: "Uh...sir. Look at his back."

Thomas cut the rope binding the Sergeant's hands together, placing them at his sides. On the bottom of his back, though it was hard to make out amidst the bloody patches and dripping lines, was the clear, distinct pattern of blood smears from the stumpy hand.

The Captain's eyes went wide, and he turned to the other guardsman.
"Go get me Councilor al'Nerun, now! I don't care how late it is! Tell him it's urgent!"

The guardsman nodded and left, leaving the Captain alone with Hickensen and the message written across his back: C J E |) F.

The first two letters only needed to be completed, the lines connected, and the last added to make the message clear: S U E D E
Rattrap

Questioning Sill

Postby Tyralor » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:37 pm

The Lieutenant hadn't exactly enjoyed the meeting with the gypsy, though he hadn't been particularly dismayed by the encounter either. Frankly, things had progressed in the expected manner. So upon returning to his office, he sat down behind the desk and composed a quick note to Daniels.

Captain Daniels,

In regards to our resident gypsy, Sill, who is once again ensconced within our walls, there are a few notes to bear particular mind to.
  • Recent conversations with the erstwhile woman has prompted me to state she is aware of something in the matter of Hickensen's demise.
  • Sill has confessed to assisting Jirai, Suede's drow, on previous occasions, including the destruction of Treadwell's Toyshop on various occasions.
  • She was once poisoned by the suspected accomplices in this matter. She may be afraid of admitting anything for fear of reprisal
  • She has indicated willingness to be submitted to magic to detect the truthfulness of her words.

I have record of these and other activities that the individuals in question have pursued previously. The files are at your disposal.

Lieutenant Kilborn
Tyralor

Postby Vanidor » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:04 pm

Kerrak came in the wee hours of the evening. His horse snorting great volumes of steaming breath. The man was still dressed from his activities the day before, when Daniels and he had met, grease stained his collar and the cuffs of his silken coat were smudged with ink. Kerrak bore the look of a man in need of rest. But that hadn't stopped him, and a good score of his men, from coming when the need was there. In his company was the guardsman that had been sent for him.

Kerrak would make his moves quick. Bypassing any who would attempt to forestall his march through the building to survey the body of the Sergeant. His sabre rattled omniously at his hip, whacking against the hard muscle of his leg. One of his number had accompianed him, this one bearing a thick sheaf of papers and a hurriedly sharpened pencil. Once in the office where Hickensen's body was set up, Kerrak rose a hand to stop any and all from speaking.

He observed the body for a moment, his face cold as any icestorm to settle upon the township. His words to his second were quiet, born from that icy calm. Words for the second alone, it would seem at first. Then a wave fo his hand once again. A quick glance towards Daniels.

"Get him cleaned up and prepare for a proper burial. Full honours, as much as we can give. Aeryn, keep those notes safe. Give a copy to Jons and prepare the men... Here, then, did Councilor al'Nerun sweep his gaze towards Daniels. "Set me up a room here, Captain. I think I will be staying for a short while. Also, double the guard around the woman and the jailhouse itself. I do not want anything getting her out of there. Or trying to get in. As soon as you are through with her, I wish to speak with her." And at that, he would turn and leave the room. He was used to having his orders obeyed without question, and so he would follow whichever guardsman came to show him to his rooms... and would attempt to rest for whatever short time there was available.

One should always be drunk. That's all that matters... But with what? With wine, with poetry, or with virtue, as you chose. But get drunk. - Charles Baudelaire

Vanidor

White Knight to F7 - Check

Postby Rattrap » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:48 pm

Captain Thomas Daniels had been busy, of that there was no doubt - the latest burst of activity came from his only hand. Letters, to the standing - or, rather, available - councilors of Myrken Wood.

To Kerrak al'Nerun, Councilor of Defence and Civil Security,

Our friend Councilor Roschen is up to his games again. I've sent order to the Meetinghouse that no one is to be allowed near the office of Administrative Sanctions unless it be one of the three remaining council members, or have signed permission by the same. I would ask that as long as you have men in the Meetinghouse, they work alongside Straka in this attempt to out criminal activity.

Also, I would request that you right the issue of tax money to the Order of Straka. If the money is physically gone, please let me know, and I'll see to it anybody in that office since Suede's absence is arrested, and that money will be found.

This letter is also to let you know that I am now formally charging Councilor Suede Roschen with conspiracy to breaking into the Order of Straka Barracks, unlawful association with the Black Market, evasion of arrest, kidnapping, torture, and murder. I have proof of these charges, circumstantial or direct, though you've already seen most of it.

I thank you for your support of the law, Councilor.

Good day.

- Captain Thomas Daniels
Order of Straka

To Giscard Guillaume, Councilor of the Myrken Wood Judiciary In Regards To Commerce and Trade Etc,

Greetings. I have sent you this letter to inform you that I am now formally charging Councilor Suede Roschen with conspiracy to breaking into the Order of Straka Barracks, unlawful association with the Black Market, evasion of arrest, kidnapping, torture, and murder.

This letter is also to inform you that I have locked down the Meetinghouse due to tax tampering by Suede's unauthorized office. This is excepting yourself and the other standing councilors, of course.

There are officials under Suede's pay, however, and I cannot abide by their manipulations of our government.

Good day, and I hope you are well.

- Captain Thomas Daniels
Order of Straka

To Altias Bromn, Governor of Myrken Wood

Greetings, Altias. I have heard you are doing better, and this is great news. I hope to see you out and moving shortly.

This letter is to inform you of some of the situation that has unfolded as of recently. I am now officially charging Councilor Suede Roschen with conspiracy to breaking into the Order of Straka Barracks, unlawful association with the Black Market, evasion of arrest, kidnapping, torture, and murder. I have proof of all these, circumstantial and direct.

Also, I have locked down the Meetinghouse due to tax tampering by Suede's unauthorized office. This is excepting yourself and the standing councilors, of course.

On a more personal matter, I'm sure Ariane Carnath has spoken to you about our heated discussion. I would simply like to apologize to you and Miss Carnath; I have been under a fair tension of late, as you can imagine. I needn't be harsh. I only have problem with you, Governor, when you are not around to govern, but as you are here to do so, I wish only to support you.

May you reach good health expediantly.

- Captain Thomas Daniels
Order of Straka

P.S. If you have called a council meeting already requesting Councilor Roschen's presence, I will not bar him from attending by your order. I would recommend that I see you, first, however, so that I can lay down my evidence of these charges and you can make a more fitting decision.

Good day.

And it would be so; the Captain had already passed down the orders concerning the Meetinghouse's security, scrambling and cycling guardsmen and women he knew more personally, to avoid any foul play. The charges against Suede Roschen wouldn't be publicly made for another day or so, giving the councilors time beforehand.

The taxes cutting into Straka's funding were hopefully inconsequential; the Captain hadn't actually laid anybody off, as Council al'Nerun had rectified the first tax manipulation, and Daniels was hoping he would do the same with the second before the impact actually reached the men and women of the Order of Straka.

The clock was ticking. It was only a matter of time.
Rattrap

Two Captains Are Better Than One

Postby Rattrap » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:52 am

( This is starting to get confusing, due to the rate and times which we post - but this post (and the one above with Kerrak) happened right after the Hickensen post, which was...whatever time the forum says it is. The warrant post came after this one, at the time specified by the forum. :haha: )

Captain Thomas Daniels was already a step ahead of the Councilor, however; preperations for Hickensen were made the moment Daniels had been wakened this night. The only reason he hadn't already been cleaned up and moved was so Kerrak could stand as a witness. After his assessment, Hickensen would be taken off so that he could be properly buried.

As for Kerrak's stay, the Captain would not object, parroting the orders to his own men nearby. Kerrak would likely take over one of the joint-Sergeant offices, with only some minor shuffling of paperwork.

Now there were two Captains.
Rattrap

A short note to Daniels

Postby Treadwell » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:13 am

This morning, Captain Daniels would receive, by way of a blue-winged fairy messenger named Hector Klaus, a note from one Richard Aengus of Hibera. Its contents, currently sealed, would reveal the following. . . .

- - - - -
Captain Daniels,

Greetings.

This is to inform you that, after a brief and recent talk with one of Councilor Roschen's tax-collecting representatives, I must politely bow out of any of the proceedings concerning all of this. Foreign officials truly hold no place in local political affairs concerning this odd little mess. As far too many people in this town no longer seem to recognize any claims I have held or currently hold to the identity of Aloisius Horatio Treadwell or any of my former possessions, movables, and holdings in this town, I must respectfully acknowledge that siding either for or against Councilor Roschen is quite certainly placing my own kingdom at risk of reprisal--either from the Councilor himself or from the rest of the collected Council, including the Judiciar.

Councilor Roschen's man noted to me that I might stand against you, sir, with charges of treason. Should I side with him, then despite any claims of immunity from reprisal on the Councilor's part, I have nothing in writing. This would not only be a slap in the face to your own august office and to that of the others on the Council, but it would also be a declaration of hostilities that might lead to the very brink of bloodshed or worse between yours and mine. Also, in all honesty, I'm not too sure I would accept anything in writing at the moment from the Councilor, as apparently records--be they months old or six decades old--can apparently be destroyed or ravaged or lost. I'm still waiting on proper Council-wide restoration of recognition of New Hibera.

Should I side with you, however, then this sets me against the Councilor, and, as far as I can tell, he is a cruel one with great influence--and, now, a good portion of my former wealth apparently added to his own through his role as standing tax collector. I do not wish the possible destruction of my kingdom, person, or subjects through one man's spite, for, again, I would be powerless to act in response without either subterfuge or open declaration of warfare.

Thus, Captain, being stymied, I must stay ignorant of the rest of this affair and neutral in my responsibilities. Forgive me.

Good day.

Richard Aengus, King of Hibera
12 December 737 Aengus Reckoning
= = = = =
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Return to Barracks / Gaol