Things Set in Motion

Things Set in Motion

Postby Rattrap » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:52 am

Thomas Daniels arrived at the Order of Straka Barracks with a strange new purpose - one that had never even so much as crossed his mind before. Yet, in these times...it seemed important. He knew what he was about to do was brash, and was there an acting Council, Thomas would have tremendous fallout to deal with; it was likely he might even with the couple members still present. He didn't care, however; he felt a certain respect for former Corporal Robert Sullivan's leave and though the Captain never had a similiar reason - a child to care for - he understood that the men and women under him did. Or, if not a child, a spouse. If not a spouse, a parent, or even sometimes a grandparent.

Thomas raced through the Barracks, gathering a following of Straka guardsfolk behind him. He interrupted the offices, he woke those who slept during the day for night shifts; the Captain had something to say, and he wanted to say it in person.

He gathered them in the courtyard. The gathering weren't strangers to this; Captain Daniels had gathered them for announcements more than once before. They all felt this one was...a little different. Something was ominous about the Captain's frown. More than just a few suspected the truth of what was to come - only a small minority were surprised.

So Thomas told them what he had told the Sergeant. He told them all to go home. He told them that the Order of Straka was finished; to those that wanted to continue fighting in the black and silver, the Captain offered little hope that Lieutenant Kilborn could keep things afloat, if he chose. He offered them the measly funds left, including much of his own, to help sustain them while they found other pay.

The gathering asked him many questions. What of our responsibility to Myrken Wood, they asked. We haven't any left, with no funds and no will by the people to do anything more than belittle us, he answered. What of the prisoners still locked up, they asked. Those housed for petty crimes will be released, and those who still pose grave threat to others will either be exiled, or perhaps taken in by one of the neighboring states, the Captain answered.

They asked the Captain more, and he answered as best as he could. Thomas didn't know if he was right in this; he didn't even really think he was. But Thomas was tired. He'd given his life to the service of Myrken Wood; he'd given his health and even his limb. He fought through blistering bureaucracy from the Council as well as straight-up paranoia, he had waded waist-deep or deeper with everyone else when the flood had covered Myrken Wood...

Most of all, Thomas Daniels had lived, like the rest of Myrken Wood's residents, in Myrken Wood, through all of its trying times, plagues, swarms, and perilous evils.

The group eventually disbursed, leaving people standing around wondering about their future. This outcome hadn't been far off, many realized, but hitting suddenly here and now and left some dazed. The Captain left the courtyard for his office to write down a few notices summarizing what he had said, so those coming back on patrol would catch wind.

He also wrote a letter to Lieutenant Kilborn:

Lieutenant,
I imagine the news of what I've declared will reach you faster than this note will. The Order of Straka is captain-less, now, and the position is one I believe only you are capable of picking up the pieces of. I'll submit my recommendation along with my resignation, but I honestly recommend that you too go to what's important to you.

My job should have been yours, and yet I don't think another could have filled your shoes any better. It's been a pleasure, Joshua. Farewell.

- Thomas Daniels

And oh, that resignation - Thomas wouldn't even write one, save that the last of two active Council members was one he actually respected - and it was, indeed, to this one that the letter was sent:

Councilor Kerrak al'Nerun,
This is my official resignation from the position of Captain of the Order of Straka. Along with this, I should inform you that I have felt it important that those still wearing the Straka uniform don't, and see to the protection of what's important to them. If you have the ability and willingness to piece the Order of Straka back together, I recommend Lieutenant Joshua Kilborn for the position. He is probably the only one capable.

Farewell, Councilor.

- Thomas Daniels

With his official business cleared, Thomas gathered up his personal items from the office that housed many captains before him and began preperations to leave Myrken Wood.
Rattrap

Return to Barracks / Gaol