Lies and honey-cakes; a barrister and his truth decieved.

Lies and honey-cakes; a barrister and his truth decieved.

Postby channe » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:17 am

Thessilane.

Coriolanus Helstone tries the word on his tongue; it rests there, sibilant, strange, the last vowel dropping into the midnight darkness behind the barracks-door.

He had come to the barracks with two bags of honey-cakes, his intention to simply pave the way for future conversations that would assist the Council in the defense of Myrken Wood; and, truly, these were simply young girls, and Kerrak’s loud, steel-edged brand of interrogation would not suffice for the rumor-mill. No, they must be treated well, must be addressed politely, must be made to feel as girls would like to feel, must be made to know that Helstone understood their plight, that he cared –

This was no place for them, he’d originally thought: raven-haired, small Reverie, cradling the death in her body like any hopeful, expectant mother, her dress dirty and her eyes lifted to him – he spoke of friendship and she spoke of something darker, of past violence to her slight, porcelain form; and she did not need to speak of future blood, for it was as inexorable as her growing belly, as the thing that rested there would soon appear and open its black mouth and cry for milk and ruin.

[I]“It must be because I am a very naughty girl… he stabbed, and now I am grown wide and breeding; and I am not certain, but I do not believe that is how children should be created…â€
channe

Return to Barracks / Gaol