Freedom

Freedom

Postby Zorana » Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:41 pm

"Full Governor's pardon," he murmered quietly, as he gazed down at the blank piece of paper before him, and dropped the quill he'd been holding. He preferred to dwell on Quincy's freedom, rather than his own enslavement. It was time, really. They'd declared her free, by unanimous vote, and he'd been holding back, waiting for official documentation from the Governor. He shook his head. No, he'd waited long enough. That blank piece of paper would hold their solace soon.

He reached into the drawer of his desk, keys clanking quietly into his hands. He rubbed his thumb over one key, and pushed himself to his feet. He made for the door, to leave the desk and it's empty pages behind him.

Towards the gaol he went, boots slapping in the mud of warm spring rains. Time to clean up as much of this mess as he could, by setting Quincy free, and offering her the cooperation of several guardsmen in her attempts to destroy the vampires. He didn't expect her to accept them. He flagged down Duvall, on his way inside the building, and took him aside, to murmer, "It's time, Matthew. I'm tired of sitting, and waiting for Phuri's pudgy fingers to sign the papers. They freed her. I'm going to oblige them. Go fetch something obscuring and a horse. Take her towards the forest, and follow her to the tavern. Make certain that she's safe."

"She killed a Prince, Captain. I'm sure she can take care of 'erself..." Duvall said, hesitating.

"I know, Matthew. Still, it will assuage a little of my guilt."

The other man nodded, his hat sliding low over his forehead with the motion. "Of course, Captain." Of course. I'll give her a ride in the rain, I'll follow her to make certain that she's safe... He laughed quietly to himself as he edged away from the Captain, and into the rain, to follow his orders.

Rayin smiled faintly, and felt the lines of old scars tugging. He brushed his thumbs over the keys, and stood there in the damp corridor, giving Duvall a few minutes to collect a cloak and a horse. After a moment, he pushed away from the wall, his hand wet from the stones. If the governor didn't allow the guardsmen to continue building the new gaol, even after he was gone, his opinion of the man would lower a few notches. This place was a pit, and not fit for any decent man or woman... He laughed, then, at the thought. "Prisoners aren't supposed to be decent," he said, quietly to himself. "It's only -you- who thinks there's still a little decency in everybody."

He shook his head, and made his way down the hallway to Quincy's cell, bypassing the bloodstained hallway. The smell of copper still lingered. He stopped outside of her cell, one hand lifting to curl around the bars, and looked at her, lying there, the thick woolen blanket he'd brought to her tugged high over her little shoulders. "Good evening, Quincy. You're free..." and he held up the keys.
Did you ever wonder what happens when there's dirt on the "Bat Signal?" It wouldn't even look like a bat anymore. Maybe they'd accidentally summon a superhero named "Misshapen Blob Man." I bet he weighs 900 lbs. and comes in the "Misshapen Blobmobile." And the cops go, "Aaah! Clean the lens!" And his theme could be the Batman song at about 10 R.P.M.

Shameless Art Promotion Starts Here.
Zorana

Return to Barracks / Gaol