Finding the High Constable

Finding the High Constable

Postby Lent » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:40 am

Mention the name of Kurt Lentham around the Headquarters of the Constabulary and you would see a good amount of head shaking and mumbling. The words that were mentioned most of all would be "damn shame."

For someone who was a "damn shame," Lent had made it up the ladder fairly quickly. He had been an older recruit, well into his thirties at the beginning of this year. People, back then, would whisper about all the loss that this man had suffered, losing family to Audmathus, to the Flux, to the Baie. One wife, three children, and his parents before that. He had been no great adminerer of Bromn, so when created, the Constabulary seemed like an excellent place for him. People said that he just wanted to prevent what happened to him from happening to anyone else, that he was a good man. Secretly, some might comment that he had a death wish, for this was a man who truly had lost everything.

It wasn't long before he had a chance to prove it. Constable Lentham fought brilliantly at the Battle of Haberdasher's Row. He fought like a man possessed, perhaps like, yes, a man who intended to die. And die he almost did. The healers were barely able to pull him back. When they did, he wasn't quite the same. Gone were most of his memories, along with them that tortured drive. In the meantime, however, he had become something of a folk hero, a Myrken Boy who so many people knew, who fought with such valor in the name of law and order. There was always a good head on his shoulders. He had always been smart, even though he had been born dirt poor. Reading and writing had been learned by marrying up, out of love, into a merchant family. Moreover, the new personality he had awoken with, easy-going and pleasant, yet somewhat biting and humorous, was actually preferred by many civilians who had known him. This, alongside with all the other factors, had gotten him a promotion. Now he spent almost every waking hour working or patrolling, even if he was a bit lax about the whole thing. What else did he have to do? And the drinking? Well, there had been YEARS of drinking before this, after one loss or another. Whatever he put in his body now served to do very little to affect his judgment.

None of that forgives the fact that Detective Constable Kurt Lentham was sitting in front of the High Constable's desk, his partner, young Constable Charles McCoy, beside him, waiting for Cinnabar to return. Well THAT would be forgivable. Lent's feet up on the High Constable's desk, even as his partner watched nervously, that was the problem.
Lent

Postby Cinnabar » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:57 am

He'd been discussing a few matters with the Sergeant-at-Arms, some details of training, of tactics and progress of the newer recruits. With the relative youth of the Constabulary as a whole, with the novelty of its remit and tactics - a police force, rather than a military - there are things that are still being experimented with. The Sergeant had wanted to discuss wrestling, it seemed, and how certain techniques could be used to restrain suspects without having to bludgeon them into submission. Quite interesting, really.

But now he's returning, back to the various stacks of reports and such that lie heaped upon his desk; his approach is marked first by brisk footsteps in the corridor outside, and then he's in the doorway and pausing, evidently not expecting to have visitors. In uniform tunic, as usual, smart and neat with buttons polished to a brassy gleam. There's a moment's silence as he looks between the two Constables, one rather ill-at-ease, the other quite the reverse.

"Good morning, Constables." He steps into the office fully, pushing the door closed behind him and rounding to take his seat behind the desk; there's a glance for the boots propped up on the desk in such a cavalier fashion, perhaps the slightest of frowns at this gesture of... what, insolence? Defiance? "Mind the paperwork, please..." A brief scrutiny of Kurt's features as he thinks. "...Constable Lentham, isn't it? And Constable... McCoy." He's seen them before, certainly, likely even spoken with them a few times; enough to fix names and faces to memory, for all that it takes a moment to recall them. He makes an effort to know the names of his Constables, for all that the Constabulary's rate of recruitment made that somewhat taxing in the early months. Still. He takes the opportunity to sort a couple of reports into a neat stack, clearing space on his desk before lacing his fingers before him and offering these visitors a polite smile.

"I can tell you've something you wish to discuss, gentlemen, else you'd not be here." Polite, fair, well-spoken; this much is known to be one of the hallmarks of the High Constable's professional persona, and has earned him no small amount of respect from those under his command, and the civilian populace he's had to deal with in the course of his duties. And now it's these two Constables who benefit from the same. It's clear that they have his full and undevided attention, with all that entails.

"So, please: how can I help you?"
Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
Cinnabar

Postby Lent » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:09 am

McCoy had risen out of his seat almost immediately after Cinnabar's entrance, a measure of respect. Lentham, to his credit, had taken his feet off the desk once the High Constable had made it past him, that too a measure of respect, in its own way.

"Our thanks for your time. Alright, one main thing, really." Kurt started, even as he grabbed the back of his partner's uniform and pulled him back into his seat. Who knows when the young man would have done it on his own. "And begging your pardon, sir, I'll have you know that whatever happens from here on in isn't Chuckles' fault." A nod over to McCoy was immediately followed by a quick amendment, "save for one wonderfully hairbrained theory that we'll get to in a bit."

"Heart of the matter then." Lent slumped to one side of his chair as he looked the Constable over. He couldn't well talk about the man to his face, in the third person at that. It was a shame because he really did want a drink and he tended to limit himself to toasting. Ah well, peseverence. "The Baker murder. Through some cosmic joke or staffing issue, or perhaps because we have the expertly honed skills of reading and writing, McCoy and I were assigned to it. Well and good, except for a surprisingly severe lack of evidence. Well and good as well, the main motive is still floating out there."

A quick glare from Lent quieted McCoy who seemed, amazingly enough, about to add something to the account so far. That's ALL they needed, him opening his mouth. No, Kurt was doing that enough for the both of them. "The Indentured servants weren't talking. We couldn't well bust heads to make them talk, given that they were spoken for by one Dominik Kaczmarek, currently a representive of our interesting excuse for a governor. Really, what we had, what we were waiting for, then, was to see who was interested in the land. The auction would have told us a lot. Who benefits?" He waved his hand in a circle a couple of times, before nodding at the High Constable. Cinnabar would have seen his problem fairly immediately, no? He hadn't even gotten to McCoy's theory, a fact that was rather well lost on the younger man's mind. He was more focused on squirming and pondering what to tell his father after he found himself suddenly unemplyoed.
Lent

Postby Cinnabar » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:30 am

There's a nod at that, though Lentham's absolving McCoy of blame has him raising his brows curiously, clearly intrigued by what may come next. Then there's a wry grin as Lentham theorises on the reasoning behind their being assigned to the Baker case, and clearly downplays his and McCoy's competence in the matter; he refrains from speaking, though, until the Constable has said his piece.

And then there is the matter of the land itself; there is the matter of who benefits, and there's a brief glance aside as the High Constable thinks on where this is going, then blinks and looks back to Lentham with and expression of... well, some surprise, and also perhaps some embarrassment.

"I... see." An uncomfortable pause here as the High Constable gathers his thoughts and his composure. Clearly they're aware of his recent purchase of the Baker land - why else would they be here, explaining the matter to him now? So Calomel clears his throat quietly, glancing between the two Constables before settling on Lentham.

"First of all, I should probably commend you both for some fine detective work in this matter; I've read over the reports, and can't really criticise your reasoning and methods." Hm. And now the tricky bit. "I... should also probably apologise for having fouled up your investigation in this way. If I'd known that you were watching to see who went after the Baker estate, I would have held off my own purchase to avoid interefering in things." He shrugs helplessly, at a loss as to what else to say.

"I'm terribly sorry, gentlemen. This is all rather awkward."
Cinnabar

Postby Lent » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:12 am

Oh, the look on young Constable McCoy's face at the end there. What was it? Shock? Slightly veiled disappointment? No, it was a rare look for him, honest angry frustration.

Lent on the other hand, was trying not to smile. "Ah, I see. I see." And then he stopped trying not to smile. The corners of his mouth moved upwards. "Well, if it's any help, sir, you've gotten me a free drink. We had a little wager there, McCoy and I. So I'll thank you for that." Oh yes, this is what Cinnabar wanted to hear, that two Constables were making bets on whether he had some sort of greater plan as it pertained to this case.

Best not to let him dwell on that, no. Lentham continued. "It's my fault for not coming to you more directly earlier. It's been a busy time with the assault and all that. Figured you didn't need the trouble when we were just in a waiting pattern. That said... fact of the matter now is that we're in a bit of a pickle. I've no idea at all why you made the purchase if not for the sake of the case. I am curious, mind you, but the why is unimportant. It's the what of it all. It's changed things. We've got a lingering feeling that you'll be a mite nicer taskmaster than ol' Farmer Baker." He didn't know about the arrangement between Cinnabar and the Servants. He didn't have to. "Lots more benefitting to go around, it seems. This is what we would call a conflict of interest, no?"

A slight pause, hopefully not enough of one to let Cinnabar get a word in edgewise, not yet at least. Whether Lent didn't want to be the one to ask this next question or whether it was honestly all show for the High Constable wasn't really important. Either way a nudge to McCoy from his partner caused the younger man to mumble in a slightly rehersed tone. "What do we do now, sir?"
Lent

Postby Cinnabar » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:36 am

"I'd say it's more my fault, really. I should have realised that making the purchase might impact the investigation, and consulted with you first. As I say, my apologies for that."

And that is the question, isn't it? It's... a difficult one.

"Hm. Well, for a start I'll certainly advise you if anyone offers to purchase the land from me, or expresses a particular interest in it. Otherwise... well, I know you've already interviewed the farm's workers, though they were not as informative as they might have been; it may be that given the change in circumstances it's worth speaking with them again. You may well find them more cooperative." No explanation of what the change in circumstances might involve, nor indeed why it might make the indentured workers of the Baker estate more amenable to the Constabulary's questions.

"Dominik Kaczmarek's serving as spokesman for the workers, but talking to members of the various families individually might bring something to light. Try the Karakovs, perhaps - I'm told they're hoping to return to New Dauntless at some point, so perhaps that could make them more forthcoming about affairs on the estate." A pause, and a glance between the two Constables. "Obviously I'd prefer it if you'd refrain from, ah, busting heads, but discreet questioning may yield rewards. They've been ill-treated by those in authority in the past, unfortunately, so there's little trust to be had from them. Aside from that?" There's a light shrug, hands spread to indicate that the High Constable is open to suggestions.

"I'll make my own inquiries, of course; any other assistance I can provide in this case, you obviously know where to find me." Well, yes. Hopefully next time there won't be boots propped up on his desk, mind. "Anything else, gentlemen?"
Cinnabar

Postby Lent » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:51 pm

Aha. Back to the drawing board again. Lent laced his fingers together behind his head with a wry smile to his younger superior. "Well I suppose that's that then." He rose to his feet, and stretched his neck to the side. McCoy rose as well and went so far as to nudge his partner back lightly.

Lentham seemed slightly amused by this. "Oh yes, one more thing. McCoy here wants me to reassure you that we're going to work... hard on this one. The reason, past our usual sense of precise professionalism," Oh yes, his face stayed straight through that, "is this. If I harbored a particular dislike for the Governor..." Pause, amendment. "If I harbored a particular dislike for the Governor and meant to do something about it, the longer this case in unsolved, the easier it will be to point fingers towards the family Kaczmarek. I don't have to tell you that there are more than a few landowners less than pleased with Bromn's appointment of Dominik, that he raises certain issues as important at all. Could make him... and others look bad, see?" The Detective Constable turned around, McCoy doing the same after a polite nod that Lentham had apparently forgotten to make. Lent would let Calomel draw conclusions, including the one most implied which had nothing to do with Bromn. The longer the case is unsolved, perhaps the worse the High Constable himself would look, if word got out that he was the one to buy the land. "That's nothing you don't know yourself though."

He walked on out the door. McCoy turned his head quickly. "Um.. Thank you for your time, sir." At that he dashed forward to catch up with his partner who hadn't been waiting for him.
Lent

Postby Cinnabar » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:09 am

"Mm." The High Constable nods thoughtfully at this suggestion, considering it for a time.

"Perhaps you would do well to seek out those who resent how Dominik Kaczmarek has the Governor's ear. Perhaps someone who would see the blame fall upon the estate's indentured workers. Those who might wish to see Kaczmarek or Bromn discredited." A pause, as a thought occurs. An unsettling thought. "Or, indeed, myself."

But then the Constables are standing, and the High Constable stands in turn as they depart. A nod for McCoy, at least, Lentham having already stepped out into the corridor.

"You're quite welcome. Keep me posted, Constable."
Cinnabar

Finding the High Constable, again

Postby Lent » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:56 pm

McCoy

It really wasn't a surprising sight to see Constable Charles McCoy walking around Headquarters without his partner. Kurt Lentham wasn't the sort to pal around there. He was more comfortable doing work in dives, pubs, bars, taverns, and the assorted house of ill repute. That the younger Constable would be knocking upon Cinnabar Calomel's door by himself was something of a surprise, however. "Do you have a moment, sir? I know you're quite busy but this is somewhat important."

McCoy was, in Lentham's words, a fellow liability. He wasn't very well coordinated. He had a good enough mind, could read and write well, all that, but he really wasn't cut out for this line of work. He was something of a pampered son of a rather wealthy landowner, one who had been a staunch supporter of both Helstone and the budding Constabulary. Along with a good amount of monetary support, the man also pledged his son to the cause, to the mutual benefit of no one in particular (well, it did get the young man out of the house, so perhaps his father won a small victory there).

Here he was now, standing outside the High Constable's door, seeming a bit sheepsih about the whole thing.
Lent

Postby Cinnabar » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:12 am

Somewhat important. Mmhm. If only Calomel had a brass penny for every time he'd heard that in the last week and a half. Still, there's a brief pause, the High Constable perhaps leaning to peer past McCoy for the ever-sardonic form of Constable Lentham, then looking back to the young man with a blink and a nod.

"Certainly, Constable. Please, take a seat." He sets his pen aside, and waves to the chair on the other side of his desk. From what he's read of the young man and heard from his superiors, Constable McCoy is a fair enough Constable, if one doesn't have excessively high expectations. Reliable enough, though not entirely over-endowed with initiative. So this visit is... something unusual, and thus garners the High Constable's full attention for the moment. At least until it becomes clear what's on the young officer's mind.

"What can I help you with, Constable?"
Cinnabar

Postby Lent » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:51 am

"Oh! Thank you, sir." Was there a bit less of the admiration that McCoy, and a great majority of the younger Constables, held for Calomel than in months past? Perhaps, but it was a slight thing. Slight but just enough to influence decisions.

"You asked for updates on the Baker murder." Lent had decided to move on without notifying Cinnabar. It had been only after much thought that McCoy had decided to go over his partner's head. "Stories from last week's assault have led us to look much more closely at Agnieszka Kaczmarek. The fact that she reached so quickly for the same exact sort of weapon used in the murder and all those tales about her temper and instability (and we have a few notebooks filled with those that we've gathered) mean we're at least going to severely question her." Severely was the key word there. "Detective Constable Lentham decided to wait until after the funeral. Still, uh, he told me that it could be bad for you, what with the fact she's quite popular right now and of the Brotherhood and your position really does hinge on the peasants and Janeiro and what not. So we wanted to let you know." Did you hear that Calomel? Let you know. Not ask permission. That's where the slight bit of doubt had changed things. Now McCoy respected you enough to inform you, but not enough to wait and ask permission when it came to doing his job.
Lent

Postby Cinnabar » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:21 am

Hm. Interesting. Interesting, and perhaps very slightly unsettling. Or at least, a cause for some concern. He considers McCoy's words for a moment, though, glancing to the papers on his desk before returning his gaze to the young Constable.

"Agnieszka Kaczmarek, you say? Well, if you've reason enough to question her further, then by all means bring her in for a formal interview. " A slight frown, though, fingers lacing on the desk before him. "And I hope that when you say 'severely' you actually mean to say 'properly', Constable McCoy." A necessary clarification, and perhaps some small edge of warning in his tone. Still, the moment passes and he shrugs lightly.

"I'm not sure why Constable Lentham feels that political concerns should influence the course of your investigation. Waiting until after the funeral was the sympathetic and tactful thing to do, and a simple matter of human compassion - we are not brutes and monsters, Constable." In case the caution againse severely needed reinforcement. "Her popularity with the citizenry or the Brotherhood, however, is not relevant to the case. We do not deal in public opinion. I expect you - both of you, Constable Lentham and yourself - to handle the matter with the integrity and propriety it warrants, and which is becoming of an Officer of the Peace. Fairness, impartiality, honesty and rigour." It's an even gaze he fixes upon the young man as he recites those words from the Constabulary Oath, though there is a firmness in it that is perhaps new to McCoy, a marked contrast to the High Constable's usually affable demeanour.

"Find the truth of things, Constable. And keep me advised."
Cinnabar

Postby Lent » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:32 am

Constable McCoy certainly listened to the man's words, and as he did, his expression seemed to brighten at every turn. There had been doubt, and there had been hesitation, and there had been unsurity. Questions of the greater good and... oh, talking to Kurt could confuse anyone! The man was so blasted sardonic and wry, but no matter! Here was the High Constable being exactly how he should be, saying all the right things, and putting the law and justice over anything else. Really now, McCoy didn't care that he was being lectured. What was important here was that Calomel was acting exactly as he ought to. "We'll do our best, sir. I promise you that." That amongst other things would mean no taking any liberties with any unstable peasant girls, not like Lentham would ever go that route considering his background anyway. "You'll be kept notified. Thank you, sir." It was a very steady salute before whipping around and heading out of the office. McCoy had thought it best NOT to tell the High Constable that this time McCoy had won the bet.
Lent

Return to Barracks / Gaol