Agony's inquest.

Agony's inquest.

Postby channe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:21 am

It's no longer really summer; there's a certain tang in the air, a slight hint of the cold left to come -- but that doesn't keep Agnieszka Kaczmarek from the list field in the morning to have her way with the new boys who've set their sights on beating her; one by one, they raise their steel and one by one, they go away, grumbling about her speed.

She's made a miraculous recovery, of course -- unlike the last time; and she has no real explanation for it, either. There's no explanation why skin and muscle knit themselves together so fast; no explanation aside from "Alastir," whispered only to a very select few. The rest? They get trounced, until she calls a halt and goes searching for water.
channe

Postby Lent » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:43 am

At some point, the man had turned to follow her. Before that, he had been watching from the shadows (which yes, were not very easy to find upon the field). Lent had a way of blending in. When you no longer even possess your very identity, it becomes surprisingly easy to just get lost in the scenery. "You put on an impressive show, Miss Kaczmarek." As it was, she'd recognize the uniform, loosefitting as it was, more than the man. Yes, his family had been lost to the baie, to the flux, to the drow, but he was of the town, had married into the merchant class. There had simply never been a previous meeting even if both were longtime Myrken residents.

"Which makes me doubly glad that you're going to be a fine, upstanding citizen of Myrken Wood and will come along pleasant-like, right?" There was a very lazy smile upon his face. "I'm Detective Constable Lentham. My partner is..." Hmn. He'd left McCoy hanging far, far back for this one. No reason for both of them to get broken noses. "apparently quite afraid of you, the wise young coward, so it's just me. We'd like to ask you a few questions back at headquarters."
Lent

Postby channe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:50 am

Well.

It's a credit to her that she shows very little emotion; for a moment, she seems to be thinking about something, and then opens her mouth with a bit of a smile --

"Oh, it's not jus' a show, it's really quite effective," she says, meaning, of course, a lesson for the boys, who need to learn that they are not absolutely invincible, who need to find and work on their weaknesses, hone their abilities and train their arrogance to be under their control. She slides the sword back into the scabbard and crosses her arms, giving the Constable a once-over. Finally, she speaks again.

"If this is about Otto, we've made 'im 'pologize. There weren't any excuse for him to paint that on the side of the Noylans' house, and he's washed it off right quick."
channe

Postby Lent » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:56 am

He made a move to get the small book in which he did most of his work out and into his hands. "No, that's a new one. Let me get my notebook out. Sounds serious. Otto. Is that with two t's?" He looked up at her carefully over the rim of the notebook. "Joke. Sorry. Ha ha, and all that."

The lazy smile was still on his face. "No, Miss Kaczmarek. It's you we're curious about, I'm afraid. Right now, though, we're just curious, see? So if you'd come along, I'm sure we can get everything cleared up quick-like."
Lent

Postby channe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:59 am

Inside:

Shitshitshitshit.

Outside:

She's placid enough, and a moment later is taking off what remains of the light armor she uses for sparring, hanging it off to the side.

I didn't do nothin'.

"Right," she says, hoisting her bag, indicating the door.
channe

Postby Lent » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:09 am

"Hey, Kurt!" McCoy had been in a good mood ever since he won his money back. Actually, the good mood was because Calomel was still on the up and up and that fact bolstered a young Constable's spirits. "Hey, the crazy Kaczmarek girl didn't even break your nose! That's two bets in a row that you lose! You're slipping in your old age.. I think I'm finally.. Hey, Kurt? Why are you looking at me like that."

"No reason, son." Lentham had gone through the door first. Unfortunately for young McCoy, Agnie followed right behind. "Agnieszka Kaczmarek meet Charles McCoy, Myrkentown's Finest."

"Uh.. Nice to meet you, ma'am." McCoy sputtered out before starting into a very brisk walk. They had to get back to headquarters quickly, right?
Lent

Postby channe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:30 am

She pauses for a moment after McCoy's blunder, a short, strange smile coming over her face, but she resumes a leisurely walk soon after.

"Nice to know I've got some respect 'round here," she drawls, sliding her hands into her pockets. Her eyes are hot coals boring into McCoy's back -- do you feel the waves of hostility? They weren't there for Lent, but they're certainly forming now. "It ain't nice t' be tellin' false stories 'bout people when you don't even know what they look like. That's what my mama allus told me. Maybe your mama had other things to do." She giggles.
channe

Postby Lent » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:41 am

"Don't blame my mama too much, Miss Kaczmarek. Took a nice, hard shot to the skull back at Haberdasher's Row from one of your Brothers (me, that is, not my mama) and I can't say I remember her too much." He waved off that statement casually with a shrug of his shoulders, that lazy smile going nowhere at all. "Don't hold any grudges, though. They all say I'm a lot happier now. And anyway, I ought to be the one complaining. You showing restraint cost me 5 shillings. Boy's getting a big head up there." Ah, a deep sigh at that even as they kept on walking. "Guess the day's still young yet, no? I might win it back."
Lent

Postby channe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:46 am

"Mm, I see how it is," she says, walking alongside them. "Y'awl have heard a lot o' stories about me, so yer jumpin' to all sorts o' conclusions that'll come up in whatever you're gonna ask me when we get to wherever it is you're gonna go." She snorts, and shakes her head, and even narrows her eyes, looking forward.

"'M sure Calomel would'a actually get the *facts* about broken noses 'fore he busts on someone 'bout it, yeah?"
channe

Postby Lent » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:56 am

Lentham's smile certainly did not fade. In fact, her fuming look at McCoy's back was matched by an amused one of his own. "Here's the thing about that, Miss Kaczmarek. One, we're not busting you. We're bringing you in to answer a couple of questions. And putting any personal concerns about the fund to constantly replenish the contents of my flask aside, we do appreciate your cooperation so far. Two, if we were going to bust you, it wouldn't be for busting anyone's nose. Three, I am not in any way, shape, or form the High Constable." And there was the afformentioned flask, filled with something rather potent, lifted in a toast to Calomel and sipped out of liberally. "Four, McCoy over there at least WANTS to be him. I don't. Five, considering I sent the young bravo out to specifically hear stories about you, you can't be too upset at him for having heard said stories. They tend to add up. And six, despite that, he still put his money on the fact you wouldn't slug me. I'm the one that bet that you would and that has much more to do with my own sunny disposition, being an utter ass, that is, than any rage issues that you may or may not possess. All that clear?"
Lent

Postby channe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:01 am

"As th'lake," she says, which is clear enough if not completely so; she pauses, and continues walking, as if this were a sunny-afternoon leisure-stroll.

"Most o' the stories are wrong. 'Cept for the one where they say I whacked the Ashfiend good in the back. That one's verra verra true. Y'know, I don' even know why I got stories about me."

And then, she giggles, and what comes out next is obviously half-joke.

"D'ye want me to whack ye, Constable? I could get those five shillins back for ya."
channe

Postby Lent » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:10 am

Oh there had been a look for the girl when she mentioned the Ashfiend. Nothing too surprising there, given how much damage it's caused. The look itself could be real easy to misread anyway.

There was a raise of his finger at her last comment. He seemed to be thinking about it. "I'm a few things, Miss Kaczmarek, not all of them good, not no more, but I'm fairly honest, see. If I get them back it'll be by earning them. I think I'll have my chance later for that."

By now they were closing in on the Constabulary headquarters. McCoy was still quite far in the lead, walking rather like a man possessed.

Lentham's smile was still upon his face, as if it was stuck there. "As for the stories, well, you're a local girl whose gone and done something with herself, who hasn't let anything, no matter how fearsome stand in her way, who has just refused to just accept the lot in life she was born to. You see what i'm saying?" Do you see what the good Detective Constable is saying with that last comment, Agnie? Do you really? You soon will.
Lent

Postby channe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:19 am

Does she?

Shitshitshit.

The litany still playing in her head, she waits, in a slightly respectful fashion, for Lentham to finish. At any rate, she's found out a little about the personalities of the two Constables, what they respond to and what they don't; unless, of course, they're just playing her, in which case --

-- she stops, then, just before the door to the Constabulary --

"I guess," she says, shrugging. And that's all she says, for now.
channe

Postby Lent » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:24 am

It wasn't too particularly hard to find an empty room for this (Even if they were few and far between). McCoy, having found his nerve somewhere near his desk, and Lentham, who likely wasn't even sure where his desk was and who usually used any number of bartops instead, sat on one side of a table. Agnie had been placed on the other. Yes, she had provided water.

Surprisingly enough, McCoy had started the talking. His voice was a bit nervous but, all in all, steady enough. "Miss Kaczmarek. To begin, I'm afraid to say we're a little bit puzzled on just where you were for a very large chunk of this year. There are stories of you..." Here the man looked down at his notes before shrugging and going along with it. "well, appearing out of thin air and crashing into a wall of the Broken Dagger." Surely that had to be one of those fictional stories she had mentioned, no?
Lent

Postby channe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:29 am

"Yeah," she says, and tilts her head to one side, regarding him quite seriously. "I crashed into the liquour cabinet, actually. Was picking glass out of my arm for days. It was nasty. Yeah -- you know how they talk sometimes about planes? Folk who show up from other places that ain't even here? I got sucked up into one. It sucked. I spent my couple months tryin' to get back and eventually did. I can go further, but it was really boring. Cold as hell -- winter. I totally missed summer completely, which really, really wasn't great at all."
channe

Next

Return to Barracks / Gaol