A police statement

A police statement

Postby Minty » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:24 pm

After some asking, a certain Ignas Demonsbane has found himself led to the Constabulary's headquarters. Today, he is a solemn man. Today, he makes up for goading comments and an undeserved silence. Today, he confesses.

"I witnessed a murder at the Broken Dagger. A man, in a constable's uniform was stabbed. There was a man there, holding a knife.", and he proceeded to give a fairly decent description of Aeryn Karolinger. When this had been done, he continued. "Agnieszka Kaczmarek was with him. I have another report to make. She is the one who murdered Farmer Baker. I have known this. She has confessed it to me twice, and was done out of anger because of a comment I made. I did not come forward out of pity for the girl. I believe she has run as well. She pulled a knife on me when she fled. She was aided by a veiled girl. A friend of hers. I believe her name is Rhaena. She also attacked me.", and...Ignas will let out a quiet sigh.

His hands are held out. "You'll probably want to arrest me, right? Go ahead, though these chains won't do.", he'll smile faintly, and await whatever happens to him. After all, he is responsible for this, in a way. He'll accept that responsibility now. As an example to others.
Minty

Postby Cinnabar » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:09 pm

The officer taking Demonsbane's statement is a somewhat dour-looking fellow with a five o'clock shadow that no amount of shaving will banish. For the most part he's been quiet, writing down the witness' account of what he saw of Constable McCoy's death; he asks a few questions to clarify the details - who was standing where, who had a weapon drawn, whether any of those present bore any obvious marks of having been in a fight - but says very little beyond that.

He perks up when the matter of the Baker murder arises, though, frowning in confusion at first, but then writing down Ignas' words as quickly as he can. More details sought - dates, places, what was said (as best he can remember it, please), his relationship with Miss Kaczmarek, and so forth. Interesting, certainly, and perhaps the breakthrough that the case was looking for, a final piece in the puzzle.

And then the man presents his wrists to be manacled, and the Constable frowns at him in some confusion.

"Arrest you? Why would we be wanting to arrest you, sir?"
Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
Cinnabar

Postby Minty » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:57 pm

Details will be given to the constable, of goading words, and keeping silent about the girl's crime. Descriptions of both Agnieszka, his somewhat antagonistic relationship with her, as he no longer considered her friend, ally, or acquaintance, and also, what he knew about Rhaena. And when questioned about why he'd want to be arrested:

"Well, I've gotten in the way of justice by not speaking out....have I not? ...is this not a crime here?"
Minty

Postby Cinnabar » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:35 pm

The Constable considers this for a time, glancing to a couple of his colleagues before looking back to Ignas and shaking his head.

"No, sir. Withholding or concealing information when asked, or giving a false or misleading statement would get you in trouble. Failing to come forward immediately, though, is not a crime. Otherwise we'd have to lock up every eyewitness who waited a day or a week or more to tell someone what they saw; then who'd bother coming forwards, if they knew we'd just lock 'em up for not springing into action and informing a Constable straight away?" A dry chuckle, and he straightens the notes he's taken so far.

"We prefer to stay on good terms with the citizenry, sir. Pointless arrests and disproportionate penalties for such things do not encourage good terms."
Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
Cinnabar

Postby Minty » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:57 pm

Hearing this, Ignas felt relief. And now came the next order of business he'd come here for:

"I'd like to join the constabulary, if that is possible.", he wasn't sure how to ask for such a thing properly. He was a man used to operating alone, after all. Still, the idea of working with others to accomplish good had always been somewhat appealing, if not for the idea of having to -tolerate- others. But....this was as good a time as any to start doing so, wasn't it?
Minty

Return to Barracks / Gaol