There's gold to be had!

There's gold to be had!

Postby Arty » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:29 pm

The figure that headed into the Myrkenwood Constabulary was... Well, if you weren't used to seeing veteran warriors, even young ones, he was fairly imposing. Six feet of muscle, bone, and sinew, wrapped up in weather-tanned skin and callouses. He wore his full armour today... An effective patchwork of leather, chain, and plate that looked to have seen more use than the apparent youth of the fellow might indicate. Oh yeah, and he's practically a walking arsenal. Bow, greatsword, dagger, spiked knuckles... And that was just what could be seen.

"Oy, mate," Arthus wore a grin that was open, honest, and quite jovial despite his violent regalia as he called to the clerk at the desk, "Heard y'all needed a good sword-arm ta he'p yer boys out wi' some head stompin', aye?" The youth reached into his belt pouch and drew out one of the fliers from around town, the one advertising that the constabulary was seeking new bodies to help uphold the laws of Myrkenwood. "Got me some s'perience keepin' folk peaceful, figgered iff'n I's gonna be 'round here, may's well earn mesel' some gold doin' somethin' I like, aye? Who does I see 'bout gettin' in, eh?"
Arty

Postby Cinnabar » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:43 am

The desk-sergeant, a ruddy-faced Constable of middling years, gives the hulking armour-clad gentleman a somewhat wary inspection as he approaches, but is polite enough in greeting the warrior. Despite being addressed as "oy, mate".

"I'm... We ain't really in the business of, er, 'ead stompin', sir. Mostly 's a matter of keepin' the Gov'nor's Peace an' investigatin' crimes." Indeed, glancing around at the brisk and grey-uniformed Constables bustling to and fro, Arthus' plated figure stands out somewhat, even without his .

"To be frank, sir, I ain't sure you'd find the Constabulary suitable. 'Owever, if you're after a spot of work, there's always a need for stout fellers interested in, er, freelance work." He nods over to a board to one side of the reception area plastered with numerous posters, some featuring rough woodcuts of surly or fearsome-looking faces, others with just a name and a list of offences beneath. All of them, however, feature a couple of words which may catch Arthus' attention: WANTED, and REWARD.

"Those're open to anyone. Bring in any of those blackguards as a private citizen, an' there'll be a fat fistful of shillin's waitin' 'ere for you." There's a speculative glance to Arthus' armour and profusion of weaponry, then, a moment's thought before he leans forward a little, lowering his voice.

"That said, sign up for a bounty-hunter's license - ten shillin's, those are - an' you'll get a bit more leeway to do what needs doin', if you get my drift. Registered bountymen get a bonus on top o' the advertised reward, too, so it's well worth the ten shillin's." He offers an amiable grin. Warming to the lad, perhaps.

"Do well at that, bring in some outlaws, an' it'd be a big point in your favour if you still feel like you want to get a badge o' yer own afterwards." A shrug at that. "To be honest, though, you might find the freelance stuff more enjoyable. Less paperwork, y'see."
Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
Cinnabar

Postby Arty » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:11 am

'Gentleman' probably wasn't the best way to describe the young warrior... Though, who's to say what first impressions are made, no? Nevertheless, Art glanced over in the indicated direction and moved over to inspect the board more closely. Several smaller bounties caught his attention... 'Nevil the Hand', wanted for grand larceny and aggravated assault... Giles Elleran, wanted for murder... So there WERE some things going on in this town aside from demonic kidnappings and the odd rampaging army. "Bounty huntin' aye?" The youth scratched his chin thoughtfully, then gave a decisive nod and turned back to the desk sergeant. "A'right mate, y'all've succeeded in innerestin' me... reckon I'll get me one o' them licenses... Ten shil, y'said?" He frowned and dug around in his pouch... Then came up with several coins of various denominations, most from different countries than Myrkenwood. "Erm... Here," he offered it to the guardsman, "Take what looks right an' gimme back th'change, aye?"

Bounty hunting... Not a bad idea, actually. It would allow him to have a semi-steady income... Would get his name out in the law-enforcing community... might even pave the way down the road for some exclusive contracts, depending on just how well he did at it.... Not that he had any doubt he could do well. He had learned tracking from a Highlands Ranger, fighting from a back-alley brawler, swordsmanship from a retired pirate... If his skills couldn't serve him in this area, where COULD they serve him? "Heh, an' keep th'doors open, mate," he added with a wink, "I'll be bringin' 'em in 'fore y'all kin say 'Jack o' the Wold."
Arty

Postby Minty » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:30 am

There were a few constables who'd been listening in on this conversation. One did not speak much to others, and was relatively new. Ignas would step forward. "Wait...you need a license to do that in your off hours?", he's reaching into his pocket now. He needs one of these licenses so he doesn't get in trouble for his constant meddling.
Minty

Return to Barracks / Gaol