To Captain Kanashia: A taste of things to come

To Captain Kanashia: A taste of things to come

Postby Seranos » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:50 pm

The letter was surrepetitiously placed atop the stack of incoming letters no doubt recieved in common fashion throughout the day by whiney nobles or distraught boyars. It was different, however - the parchement was strange, a pale peach-gray hue and leathery - scented with crushed roses and blackberries as the envelope containing its strange pages and spidery, flowing script in a rich black ink, was held fastened by a seal of bright scarlet wax, a stamp thereon of an ornate "S", surrounded by a length of thorned vines. Within, was a proposal most strange.....

To the most honourable Captain Alexander Kanashia of Myrken Wood and the Order of Straka,

Allow me, first and foremost, to congradulate you upon your acsension to a position of prestige and power Captain Kanashia. It will be a good thing to have a man of your cunning and prowess at the helm of this city to lead it through the dark, troubled times ahead.

I will be blunt, Captain, for I've most likely rambled to long already. I wish to offer you resources untapped and assistance unasked for. In my domain, a place far from here, I have amassed a vast fortune. More than even the most opulent of lords and nobles to use in ten lifetimes. I offer it to you as funding for the Guard, refitting gaol, pay increases and the like......
The Order of Straka could have access to everything I have available to me to help them in solving these most pressing issues.
I am the owner of Sanctuary in Myrken Wood, I can also offer to the Guards as well as their families unlimited and free access to my facilities for as long as they remain in service with the Guard.
In addition, I would also like to make official a bounty upon the Vampires that plague us. A thousand gold coins each. Perhaps this bounty would increase awareness to the cancer growing in their very homes.

As for me....Well, if nothing else, I would consider myself a flexible man. Perhaps a position of some importance, be it advisor to you on matters of the supernatural - vampires and other things darker can be killed with but some knowledge how - and some minor say in the growth of Myrken Wood. I would, when our venerable Gad Phuri's term in office has run its course, perhaps may a bid for Governor myself - fate be willing. I look forward to some correspondance with you, Captain...I believe we could do well together for this city.

Until forever, my good Captain....

Lord Seranos Reikos Vayne; Master of Sanctuary.
"I lost my soul when I fell to earth...
My planet calls me to the void of my
birth."
- Monster Magnet, "Space Lord"
Seranos

Postby Darren » Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:09 am

The letter to the Duke of the Thessilane was just being finished, and the wax that sealed the parchment still cooling with the emblem of the Order of Straka embedded into the wax.

It was then, as he placed the parchment to the Duke to the stack that was to be sent out, he brought the odd-looking letter to him. A pale peach-grey, and the rosery sealing which the Captain had found rather beautiful. The man had strange taste. And then, the letter was slowly opened and read carefully.

Soon after, a reply was written, and sent with haste to the Sanctuary.

"Seranos, Master of Myrken Wood's Sanctuary,

I am glad to find you're in possession of such wealth. It can surely help a man in times of need, and more importantly, and can help those around that man.

I made a visit to your Sanctuary one night, to find it empty. It was during the first of its conception, though, so I surely did not expect much. I remember it was to search for a Miss Alexi Rose, who is in much better health now. Thanks to your intervening, no doubt.

However, there is already a funded hospital inside of Myrken Wood, and they have worked with our Guard and I must say, they have quality treatment as well. The Wood's very own Remedium, and I don't think I could find myself sending my men anywhere else.

...these are trying times we live in now, so surely the Sanctuary may prove to be most helpful. A bridge we will cross when we come to it, surely.

A bounty on vampire heads? A thousand gold? It seems a wonderful idea, but do you really have that much money to spare? I know even my wealth has a point to an end, if I'm not careful with it.

I'll present you with a counter: you wish to fund the Guard, and I wish for the funding. You would to be an advisor, and I need an advisor.

The offer interests me to no end, no doubt. This could surely point to better times for Myrken, though forgive me if I may be just a little skeptical.

Give me a time, and a place, for us to meet one evening. That way we can talk of this arrangement in more detail."

-- Captain of the Order of Straka, Alexander Kanashia.
I refuse to believe this is as good as it gets.
Darren

Postby Rattrap » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:37 am

Robert had stepped into the captain's office, with the purpose of reporting the bodies that he and Thomas had found earlier. He cut himself off, however, standing silently as the captain replied...to a rather odd looking letter. The guard raised a brow, glancing occasionally to the letter being replied to; he caught onto the signature, and that was all he needed.

...but he'd wait nonetheless.

Once the captain had signed his own, however, Robert was quick to speak:

"Cap'n: a word o' warnin'. I saw that man at yer party, and the conversations being flung 'bout 'em were a lil' alarmin'. I'd be wary of 'em, if I were yeh. 'Course, I'm not, but nonetheless! Jus' watch yerself 'bout him."

No explanation about who 'that man' was, although it would hopefully be pretty apparent what with the current letters still out in the open.

"Oh, Corporal Daniels and myself found three bodies the other night. Poison, cut-throat, and the like. Weh moved 'em outta the way and found a mortician teh bury 'em. Nobody was cryin' over 'em, so we don't really have any kinda ident."

Robert's speech was always phasing in and out of his accent, something he'd been working on for a while. Whether he was heading for 'proper' speech or the accented one was still yet to be discerned.
Rattrap

Postby Seranos » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:28 am

The return had been speedier than even he had expected; a suprise that was not at all unwelcome. Sitting at his desk, mahogany and smoothly polished maple, Seranos tapped the notched tip of a quill pen against the darkened rim of an ink vial thoughtfully. Money wasn't a concern to him. Even if the unlikely event occured than he began to run low on funds, there were at least a dozen and a half nobles about the realms that owed their power and success to his manipulations and tweaking of the strands of destiny. The corner of a pale lip drew into a dryly amused smirk, as the quill was pressed against fresh parchment and the words began to flow....

Captain Alexander Kanashia,

I was most pleased to see your return letter upon my desk this afternoon. You have fine runners to deliver your missives, among other things.

To be straight to the point: wealth is not a concern of mine. It comes and goes. As of the last decade or so I have had very little that has peaked my interest enough to contribute my assets to, so after expenses for my manor, lands and other part-time ventures were taken into consideration, there was quite an abundant surplus. The bounty is quite legitimate, and can be payed no matter. It concerns me however to perhaps qwell the problem of the vampires at the heart, so to speak. I have heard some muttered whispers about a sort of 'kindred-politics' happening in our fair city, and I would venture to suggest, if it is not unwelcome, to perhaps look at striking the heads of vampire society down first. I know of one or two myself whom I would advise expediant extermination. We can speak of that matter later, however.

The offer to advise you is most welcome and warms my heart that you would take me into confidence so. I had thought, perhaps, that if there are no issues, I could meet you to discuss matters further after the meeting of the Guard on the morrow's eve.

I look forward to future dealings, Captain.

Until forever....

Lord Seranos Reikos Vayne
"I lost my soul when I fell to earth...
My planet calls me to the void of my
birth."
- Monster Magnet, "Space Lord"
Seranos

Return to Barracks / Gaol