Tinker, Tailor...

Tinker, Tailor...

Postby Glenn » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:07 am

Some meetings belonged in a nice, civilized office surrounded by paperwork and researchers, the bureaucratic army that powered the ever-encroaching Myrken Wood government. Some meetings belonged out amongst swords and cells, amongst a more literal army of militiamen and constables. This was absolutely one of the latter. It didn't mean Glenn Burnie didn't come prepared. As he sat at the multi-purpose table in a room primarily used for interrogations, he'd smile pleasantly at the woman in front of him. He was a young man, in the earliest of his twenties, dressed nicely. He was a little shorter than usual but had the body of an athlete, even if he did walk with a noticeable affectation of a limp.

He shuffled a few of the files, looking down upon them, before finally looking back at her. "Kira then, yes? No, please, no need to say anything. I've heard from others around town that you seem to have some sort of nasty speech impediment. They say it has something to do with that scar of yours. Some even say that you lost your tongue going after some rogue or another. No, no, you don't have to show me, that's quite alright. I've seen enough of the macabre in my time here." He raised his hand, thundering onwards, using his natural propensity to speak a great many words without actually breathing for all it was worth.

"Honestly, your ability to elucidate or lack of such is the least of my worries. It's a simple matter. We have a misfit, a madman, the sort that generally causes chaos for the joy of it, a sad broken man, but also something of a criminal genius. Suede Roschen. A drawing of him is included in this file here. Amongst his previous crimes, including murder and outright treason, he's most recently poisoned the good citizenry of Myrken. While our own Constabulary are on the search for him, a consortium of our more civic-minded businessmen have put forward money on their own and asked me to look into hiring a bounty hunter to assist in the task." There may have been a breath in there, but if there was, he seemed to manage it between syllables somewhere. More than that, even as he spoke about Roschen, the smile did not break. "While not entirely necessary, the gesture is not unwelcome. The man was once a tailor and has been known to carry multiple tools of his former trade, needles mostly, covered in the deadliest of poisons. Moreover, his primary accomplice is an insanely dangerous drowess, who you'll have to watch out for as well. I'd hate for any of our brave Constables to get poisoned.. or stabbed, in the pursuit." That he seemed somewhat uncaring about her ultimate fate wasn't exactly mentioned.

No, he kept on smiling at her and more than that, he kept on talking. "A few years back, we came very close but he faked his own death. During that period I purchased his former shop but he's shown an irritating ability to get in and out off the building. I suggest you begin your search there. Now then," Burnie would place both of his hands upon the table and look to her, the pleasant smile not fading for a moment. "While I hope you don't have any questions, if you do, please ask them now."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Kira » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:43 am

Kira was certainly used to these kinds of meetings. In fact, this particular meeting took place in a rather clean room. It looked like an interrogation room, and she wasn't particularly fond of interrogations. She decided she quite preferred the dark, smelly, dirty back rooms of seedy bars and taverns; at least that was something she was familiar with.

She leaned her elbows on the table, steepling her gloved fingers in front of her mouth. She opened it to speak, but was interrupted. And again. She was growing impatient, and showed it by leaning back and tossing her heavily booted feet up onto the table. She crossed her arms over her quite large chest and leaned back, tilting her head to the left a bit as she listened with an aloofness that said, 'can we hurry up and get to the point?'

She picked up the file when Glenn mentioned it and paged through it, still listening intently whether she appeared to be or not. She studied his image closely, noting any lack of detail in the drawing, but committing it to memory nonetheless.

Finally! The man finished his speed-talking and asked if she had any questions. She lowered the file and smirked, looking over at him almost glaringly, as if she dared him not to answer the questions she was about to ask.

"Aye, ah go's a coupla queshuns." Her accent was indeed atrocious, but she purposefully slowed her speech in order to make herself more understandable. She absolutely hated repeating herself, despite the fact she was making such a lazy attempt at being clearer. "Ah needs t' ken if'n yer go' a deadloine, er yer jes' wan' 'im in as soon as ah kin. An' mos' impor'an'ly, djyer wan' 'im aloive er dead? If'n yer wan' 'im aloive, djyer wan' 'im in one piece?" What condition Glenn wanted the man in would dictate just how she would go about capturing him.

"An' yer uh... mentioned dere's a drowess. Ah 'ope yer dinnae wan' 'er aloive." The amount of time he spent speaking of the drowess made her believe that it could become a serious problem. Catching a nutbag was one thing. Catching a nutbag that was being followed around by an insane dark elf was completely different.

She avoided mentioning anything about the amount of money she expected for this job. When one was hunting a bounty, the price offered by the authorities was generally the price one accepted, or the job would just be turned down. She wanted to get as much information out of him as she could before she asked how much he was offering for this Suede character.
Kira

Postby Glenn » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:20 am

Ah, the headache was beginning already. Were it something to do with someone other than Suede and Jirai, he probably would have just had a subordinate deal with this. Then again, he couldn't trust anyone else to have the least idea what this woman was saying and then things would get hopelessly muddled and Roschen would probably end up a Councilor again at the end of it all. Best to deal with things personally, in this case at least. Burnie clenched his eyes for a long moments, as if cutting out sight would help him work through whatever this woman was saying. Human limitation. That was the problem. He simply hadn't been able to work in her answers before she asked them... that and the fact she had already begun to seem mutinous. Best to at least let her have some semblance of actual back and forth conversation here, though that had been in theory. It certainly didn't seem the case in practice.

"Right." Burnie finally mumbled out, his eyes opening, the smile actually having never left his face. "Right. One: Deadline. The sooner the better, obviously. He's causing chaos by the day, now that he knows that we're on to him. Also keep in mind that our Constabulary are after him as well. The longer you take, the less chance you have to get paid." Simple enough, no? "The whole 'dead-or-alive' bit is tricky. He's faked his own death before with a reasonable simulacrum. You'll need to come up with proof that whatever body you drag in is actually him. How? I haven't the slightest. Be creative. It'll probably be easier on you to take him alive, in all parts the actual 'taking him' bit, of course. Feel free to maim him in that case, especially the hands. They're the last thing he needs."

Ah, then. The question of Jirai. Really, at this point he should give her much, much more information about the drowess, but then she was a confident one and this information wasn't hard to find. "Yes, certainly... kill Jirai if you can. There are long standing bounties on her head, but she's not our priority right now. She's still but a ghost of what she just was." Did ghosts heal? The drow seemed to be healing. "Still, don't take her lightly, and I don't care how tough you think you are. If she gets you in the sights of her crossbow, find cover." He didn't sound very confident that she'd be able to kill Jirai at all. Capturing Suede? well, maybe that was a possibility.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Kira » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:03 pm

Kira stared at him hard, knowing he was having trouble understanding her anyway and silently daring him to ask her to repeat herself. He began answering her questions and she listened intently, nodding, and mumbling "yeh"s in between his sentences.

"Roi'," she replied when he was finished. "If'n dat's all o' yer go', den p'raps we kin 'ead o'er t' yer shop an' be seein' if anyfin's amiss, yeh?" She stood and removed her silver cigar case from the pocket of the black, extracting a long, thin cigar from the outer edge. She popped it in her mouth and immediately began chewing the end.
Kira

Postby Glenn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:21 am

Ah, but she was an outsider. Listen to that accent. She was about as far outside as one could get. Burnie just continued to smile his pleasant smile as he glanced at the woman across from him. "I'm afraid that an integral part of hiring you is to free myself up for other projects." in other words, he would not be accompanying her. "I've sent the Jacobs brothers, Constables both, down to unlock the place for you. They'll let you in. After that, you're on your own. All that said, you can hardly be expected know Myrkentown well as a new arrival. One moment, then."

Burnie looked down curtly, as if he intended to ignore her completely, and began to sketch something upon the piece of paper before him. It was a skill few in Myrken benefited from anymore, and that even fewer were privileged enough to see in action. Before taking up his current position and recreating it to be all the more influential, Glenn Burnie was a mapmaker, and an excellent one at that. Within a minute or two, a moderately rough but still both clear and detailed map of downtown Myrkentown had emerged from the frenzy, the shop and the building they were in both carefully marked.

"There. Consider it a gift for your time." The paper was handed over. "Even if you ultimately decide not to go after the bounty."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Kira » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:25 pm

A map! How wonderful. It was about time she learned her way around the town anyway. Glenn's mapmaking skills were exceptional, and she only needed to glance at the map to figure out where she needed to go.

"Fankyer, guv. Ah s'pose ah'll be on me way, den." She stood and shook Glenn's hand, then stomped loudly out of the room to head to the shop. With the assistance of Glenn's map, it took no time at all to find the shop and the sibling Constables waiting to open it up for her.

When she arrived, she introduced herself without so much as a bow of her head. "Me name's Kira. Glenn sen' me. Open 'er up, yeh? Le's 'ave a look-see."
Kira

The Brothers Jacob

Postby Glenn » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:54 am

Kira would arrive only to find two brothers, both in passable if somewhat sloppy Constable uniforms waiting impatiently by the door. "Oi." The younger one said, his red beard neater than his uniform, if only just. He'd look her up and down, chewing something in his mouth that was probably quite unpleasant. "You're the bounty hunter, yeah? We got word you was on your way. Don't know what Mister High-and-Mighty said, but here's what I'm gonna say."

Were this a male they were talking to, the older brother might have chimed in more, held back his younger sibling's tendencies. As it was, he seemed willing to let the taller constable hang himself. He continued on even as he unlocked the door to the shop. "This is dangerous business for a woman, got that?" He scratched at his beard with the key unconsciously, maybe a nervous tick, maybe just bad manners. "Roschen's a nasty piece of work. They say he bathes in poison and and can blind a man just by spitting in HIS eye, so who knows what he could do to YOU."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Kira » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:35 am

Kira crossed her arms over her chest as the brother spoke. Her vest did a rather good job of containing her massive bosom, but even through the heavy leather it was obvious she was well-endowed. She stood, however, like an impatient man, her feet as wide as her shoulders, her hips straight rather than cocked. She was also chewing on half of a cigar. When the younger Jacob said his piece, she took the unlit cigar from her mouth and spat a large, brown wad on the ground next to her.

"Ah ken ah ain' well-known 'roun' 'ere," she said slowly, as if speaking to a young child, "bu' ah kin tell yer dis. Ah may be a woman, yeh, bu' ah ain' no feckin' lady, an' yer ain' gonna talk t' me loik ah dinnae ken wot ah'm doin', see?" She glared at him as she spoke, almost daring him to argue with her. "Ah kin 'andle meself, roi'? Ah dinnae carry all dis," she indicated her longswords, crossbows, and numerous daggers about her person, "jes' fer show."

She stuck the cigar back in her mouth and squared her shoulders. "Now yer gonna qui' lectrin' me an' open teh gorram door, yeh?" It did not sound like a request.
Kira

Return to Barracks / Gaol