Special Assignment

Special Assignment

Postby Tyralor » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:25 pm

There had been no malice or intent to instigate anything with the decision he'd undertaken. Not consciously at any rate. No doubt there would be something lingering in the background that'd let him know that there were going to be questions for this assignment. No doubt he'd have to deal with Daniels once more. However, the opportunity that presented itself, was simply too pleasurable to deny taking advantage thereof. In essence, it became a situation of, if he could not make himself happy, with the current tasks upon his shoulders, he could certainly see about making someone else happy. And so he did. And bugger anyone that thought to stand in his way.

It took him the better part of the morning, to shuffle through all the files that he'd set upon the desk. Attempting to discern, all told, exactly who it was that he wanted to take the special assignment that he had planned.

Ultimately, it boiled down to five.

There was Key Lannew, who'd been working almost nonstop for the past several months as one of his chief aides. A most suitable person to take the assignment, and ensure that it was done properly.

Following Key up on the list, was John Rubrecht . A large bulk of a man, who had unfailingly, been about during the various times of crisis. A vocal sergeant, who could rouse the men into action. John was someone he'd known for a long time. Didn't have time much these days for old friends though.

Ryan Spencer was another who definitely deserved the assignment. A recent addition to the guard, and young yet, she'd thrown herself into the various tasks with almost reckless abandon. The enthusiasm had worn off on other men, and Kilborn had been making use of that. Enthusiasm was in short supply these days, and it could definitely use with a small repayment of the effort.

Another had to be considered, for the loyalty that had been displayed to the Order for several years. Alan Tallfern, someone that'd been serving in the guards for nearly twenty years, had been invaluable in keeping things running smoothly in the yard of late. Yet even those who've been invaluable needed some time to pursue other affairs.

The last person he was considering though, was entirely for selfish reasons, and it was what presently caused him to be lingering in some doubt. It'd really, only been a wink. However, at the same time, it'd been the first thing anyone had done in a while, to make him feel human again. In the end, the lass, Chandrea was added to the list as well, making a task force of five.

Gathering them up was a relatively easy task, as he kept some concept of where abouts they were working. And of course, someone had to do the scheduling. anoher one of his lucky duties.

"I assume that the lot of you have heard about the recent events at the orphanage once again. The burning of the lumber, and the suspicion that it was done through a substance called naptha. Naturally, we can not deny the possibility this crime was politically motivated, with her recent bid to become politically active."

A moment's consideration as he studied the five alert, conscious and intense features. There was quite possibly a little curiousity in their minds. It would be unusual for the lot of them to be grouped together. Their tasks didn't normally bring them into contact with one another.

"As a result, to ensure that we meet the demands of the council, I have selected the five of you to form a special task force to further the investigation and determine perhaps not only who caused the fire, but what political faction was behind it. It could have been a demon, or a vampire, or a mage gone mad and flaming. A pyromaniac."

"Any one of those is a possibility of course. However, after consulting with another individual poised to make a bid for the council seat, Duvall and I came to the conclusion that his ideas might have merit"

"As a result of Dhugal's political insight into this mess, I want the lot of you to begin your investigation with the were0-squirrels that are gathered within Myrken Forest." Even as he said it, he couldn't help but smile a faint bit. Covering it up as best he could with a cough, he straightened up his features.

"We feel strongly that it was indeed, the were-squirrels that werebehind this plot, but I expect you to come back with proof, one way or another. A corpse of the culprit would be sufficient if need be. Now, I know each one of you has a different manner in which to investigate such a heinous crime, so I don't expect you to keep tabs on each other particularly. Perhaps the occassional gathering at a tavern at night would be a perfectly suitable place to discuss how things have gone for you on any particular day."

"I should imagine of course, that your investigations will involve lenghtly periods in the woods, wandering about. These were-squirrels I'm informed, are a tricky bunch. If you don't have any success, I shouldn't hold you responsible. I anticipate that overall, the investigation should take a minimum of three days. On the other hand, we do want results as well, so I do expect you to have come to a conclusion within a week's time."

None of the individuals in the room with him, he would've picked out as particularly dull individuals. He knew the bulk of them had caught on by this point in time, as to precisely what it was that Kilborn was providing them with. They didn't have the ability to run amok on their own. There was still too much work to do. Too much chaos to handle. Which, was the true purpose behind the special assignment.

"If anyone's to inquire, you may tell them that you are a member of a special task force to investigate the arson of the orphanage." Which was, of course, perfectly true. "If you have any questions, feel free to see me later on today. I wish you good luck with your assignment. Good day."

Kilborn's one wish, of course, as he watched the five of them file out, was that he could be amongst their numbers. Unfortunately, not everyone got special assignments. And so he went back to his extensive duties.
Tyralor

Return to Barracks / Gaol