WhiteLion Armoury

WhiteLion Armoury

Postby NightSteel » Tue May 03, 2005 3:15 pm

...was that smoke?

Having had an eyeful of the giant blade, Darrin had proceeded back into the city and towards the Broken Dagger. In truth, there wasn't much to it, to the naked eye. It was a big sword with writing on it. That didn't mean, however, that it didn't weigh on his mind. However, the sight of smoke coming from the tavern's stable *did* catch his attention. He'd been around for a small number of months, and hadn't seen that yet.

So of course, he investigated. It had to be more mundane than the mammoth sword, right? He could use a little mundanity.

He hadn't yet had occasion to enter the structure; he had no horses and no need or want to steal anyone else's. It was merely there. He stepped inside the large main doors of the building, and immediately noted the second door, with its top half open and bottom half closed. He didn't miss the sign over the door, either, proclaiming the business' name and maker's mark: WhiteLion Armoury, with the symbol of a rampant lion (in white, of course).

The tall, red-haired, green-eyed elf brushed a lock of his waist-length hair back behind his ear, and stepped over to that doorway, looking around inside at the displayed weapons and the trappings of a forge. Nothing in particular seemed to catch his eye.. except maybe the armorer. He simply stopped there, to watch her at work. He wouldn't interrupt. He had known a weaponsmith or two, back in the day, so it gave him a chance to evaluate her, like any good customer.
NightSteel

Postby Thorn » Wed May 04, 2005 2:40 am

Night was busy as always, but this evening in particular from having just returned from the home country. The five foot three elf was hard at work, driving her hammer down on on what looked to be a newly made sword. Shoving the blade back into the hot fire, she took a moment to look over the work she had completed upon the hilt. Wolves, a pair of them, had been etched into the metal, running along the crossbar, and a wolf head had been made into the pommel. Undoubtably, after all was completed, the handle itself would have the softest deer hide wrapped for the extra comfort and grip. Night turned, her own hair falling back in its usual braid as ears perked. Feline eyes of emerald turned upon the man now watching, and she offered him a plaintive halfsmile.

"Is there something I can help you with...?" She asked, as she took the sword from the coals again, and hammered out the rest of it before placing it in the cooling bucket. Steam rose immediately, and she left it there a moment to hear his response.
Thorn

Postby NightSteel » Wed May 04, 2005 6:38 am

"Just admiring the goods," the bard replied, smiling blithely. To anyone that knew him, it was a fairly typical response. It was true enough, his eyes swept all around the room and over the woman working in it, though not quite so obviously now that he had her attention. Leering, after all, would most likely get him run out, with possibly a slap as a bonus.

"I never knew there was a smithy in here. Don't have a horse, and never saw the forge burning before today." He adjusted his glasses, then changed his mind and took them off, folding them and tucking them away somewhere within his mantle.

It doesn't take him too long to get to the point. "Do you do much work with exotic materials?"
NightSteel

Postby Thorn » Wed May 04, 2005 6:44 am

"Well, the goods here are for sale if you're interested in any weapons or armor." She retorted, her hands still at work even as she spoke. Her back was to him for the moment, but soon she would turn as she moved to pull a set of pauldrons that had been placed on the table. A small dagger allowed her to cut the leather bindings that held the cushion inside, moving in turn to pull her hammer out and begin hammering dents out of the piece.

"Well, I've been considered the Broken Dagger's blacksmith for quite some time, although most of my work is done either very very late at night, or quite early in the morning, say around dawn or so. Get most of it done then, and bring it to market in Myrkenwood during the day."

"What kind of exotics are you looking at? If you're talking something along creature wise, I've build Dragon Scale armor and the like..." She offered, stopping what she had been doing a moment to look at him.
Thorn

Postby NightSteel » Wed May 04, 2005 6:50 am

The tall elf's hand reappears with an odd sword in it; a long unicorn's horn, a tapered spiral of gold and white. "I acquired this a long time ago, and I've found little use for it as such a weapon. I much prefer to keep my distance." He grasped it by the horn, holding the hilt up and out, towards her. "I wondered if perhaps you might be able to convert it into a spear or javelin of some sort, keeping the horn intact. It has certain properties that would be lost, were it to be truncated."
NightSteel

Postby Thorn » Wed May 04, 2005 6:55 am

Initially she cringes; usually unicorns were good creatures, meant for healing people and the like. It was an oddity to her, to see one's horn not only removed from its head, but to be made into a weapon.

"Where did you get this...?" It slipped from her mouth before she could stop it, but immediately bowed her head slightly, "I'm sorry, it really isn't my place to ask.." She trailed off as her hand took the hilt, and she held the piece, inspecting how old the sword itself had been; perhaps justifying the horn if it had been from a unicorn that would be long past anyways. She looked back at the other a moment, before speaking.

"Keeping the horn in tact should not be a problem. I should be able to melt the bit that attaches to the hilt of the sword, and then place a spear staff in its wake. This is going to be some trickey work however."
Thorn

Postby NightSteel » Wed May 04, 2005 7:01 am

He doesn't appear to have a problem with a little storytelling. "Some years ago, I came upon several beasts in a fight. I suppose in hindsight, I probably should not have involved myself, but it was two versus one, and so my bow sang in support of the one. She allowed me to keep this, once it was all said and done." He waited for her further words, then nodded. "How long could I expect such a thing to take, and what would the cost be?" He seems quite calm about it all, even amicable, relaxing against the lower half of the door.
NightSteel

Postby Thorn » Wed May 04, 2005 7:34 am

"Well that seems fair enough, though I've never known a unicorn to give up its horn so willingly." She listened to his question and rubbed her chin a moment in thought, before speaking again. "Well, its hard to say. I really want to be extra careful so that I do not take out any of the bits and ruin the enchantment, so its going to take a lot longer to remove and replace the piece. I would say try back in about four days or so, and after I finish these pauldrons, I'll move it to the top of the list. The rest of my clients aren't returning to Myrken for a full week or so, so I have time to do repairs. As for price, I would honestly have to say that this is going to be a bit more expensive than the usual sword and spear repair. Also, I would need you to take a look at those staves there in the corner, and see which one you would want this outfitted to. I make a bunch of different holding pieces as well, which are on that wall also. I can give you a better price once you've done that." She looked the piece over a moment, and then spoke again.

"Is it alright to slightly notch the bottom? Offers a better fit when placing it into the wood of the spear, but I don't want to do it if it will take the enchantment off of it...."
Thorn

Postby NightSteel » Wed May 04, 2005 8:01 am

"Pardon my misspeak. This horn is from the one which my arrow felled. So no, it was not given so willingly. As far as I know, the victor still has hers." He had seen her maybe twice after that, that majestic.. war unicorn. It was the best way he could think of to describe her. "I have no need for any particular staff or mount, beyond sturdiness, balance and accuracy, if thrown. I shall leave that to your judgement. As for a notch.. in truth, I'm not sure if that would cause a problem or not. But, proceed with it, and I will not hold you responsible, if it turns out to be true."
NightSteel

Postby Thorn » Mon May 09, 2005 3:41 am

"Alright then, as you would wish it." She nodded, placing the piece upon the table. "I would recommend returning at the end of the week to see how much progress I've made on it. I can't be completely sure that it will be done, but I'm sure it would be at least mostly finished. I'll also have a better wake upon a price for you then, as exotics, although a little slightly more expensive, shouldn't be too bad with this one, if all it is is the handle replacement and slight carving for a spear." Nightmist glanced to him a moment and offered a halfsmile. "Afterall, if this does work out, it will be good business for us both. I might have to get you to sign off on a parchment, as unfortunately once you take the spear I won't be able to keep it in my shop for others to look at, but at the same time word of mouth should be good enough for it, if I am able to do the job I would like to do on this piece. Is there anything else you need repaired? I also have premade armor sitting on the shelf over there if you would like to take a look..." She nodded her head toward the wall of armoury and weapons.
Thorn

Postby NightSteel » Mon May 09, 2005 6:31 am

"I have no further needs at this time," he assures her, with a little smile. "Though if your work is good, I will keep you in mind," he adds, a little spark in his eye. Ahh, yes, the first love of anyone selling something--repeat business.

"I do have a counteroffer, though," he next begins. The statement was a little out of place, given that she really hadn't quoted a price, but an explanation was the next thing he spoke. "If advertising is a concern for you, perhaps a deal can be brokered: After I have inspected it, you retain possession of the completed work for a week or two, for display, and I retain possession of a little more of my money?"

It wasn't a particularly hard bargain that he drove, simply a business arrangement. In fact, he had still further arrangements in mind, but that would have been putting the cart before the horse. He still wanted to see how she would handle his request before he got down to any *real* business.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
NightSteel

Postby Thorn » Mon May 16, 2005 5:45 am

"Well I hope I can meet your expectations.." She offered, looking at the weapon she now held in her hand once again. Upon his request, her eyebrow raised.

"Well, if I am to hold onto it for slightly less money, I would assume then this is not your main weapon..?" She offered, moving to place the piece on the main table, before returning to look at him. "But if you won't be needing it, then yes, I wouldn't mind keeping it about the shop for a little while. Under lock and key obviously, considering the fact of just how much this would be prized as a weapon. Although in all honesty, now thinking about it, it might not be such a good idea. This shop, afterall, isn't meant to hold a king's ransom, and this piece certainly would be quite a prize for a wellworked thief..." She frowned a moment. "Let me affix the piece to a spear first, and then we'll go from there. Sound fair?"
Thorn

Postby NightSteel » Mon May 16, 2005 6:16 am

The bard listened, taking it all in, and then nodded. "Your assumption is correct, and yes, I would be happy to wait until seeing the finished work to discuss options. I shall return in one week." He then simply turned to leave.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
NightSteel

Return to The Stables