Risk and Benefit

Risk and Benefit

Postby Kestrel » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:22 am

The Baron Surdemer's men, his makeshift town, were like a living, breathing entity - some cohesive creature lurking at Myrken's door. Whether that slinking animal was a predator lying in wait or a protector remained to be seen, depended on who was asked. The Lady Egris, the Kestrel, walked among them. The sound of steel on wood was sharp in her ears, the smell of campfires and cooking rations filled her nose and made her mouth water. The eyes that followed her, a shock of white-and-red against the blue-and-yellow mediocrity, seemed to slide away from her like oil from water. The woman who kept counsel with kings, looked down her sharp nose at nobles, and rode like a man was often seen as something of an enigma. Most gave up understanding her at all. That was a luxury that could only be found among the enlisted.

There were men among them that would have been a boon to her cause, however lost it had become in the murky world of politics. A few of her company had parted with her blessing. Some joined the King's men against the Duke, eager to taste the iron of battle. Others had drifted home to their wives and children. Another had taken up with a woman in town and fancied himself a farmer now. She did not fault them, but their loss was felt keenly and her dwarven companion, her solemn adviser, had suggested in his gravel voice she find a few find men to round out her merry band of mercenaries.

Her gaze slanted over the soldiers as she passed them, considering their self-discipline with admiration. She rarely, if ever, selected from these types of men to grow her ranks. She preferred a fresh canvas or broken men who she could wield into something stronger. She preferred to earn loyalty than for it to be gifted to her due to rank, title, or name. She firmly believed that was the strength of her company. Mercenaries were easy to purchase with coin, but only those who recognized the worth of her men remained.

The men had been observing the town for any with a particular brand of talent. If Egris was to leave Myrken for war, she wanted a little of its stubborn, filthy charm with her on the battlefields of Thessilane.

Four names were given to her for consideration. Four letters with her crest sealed in wax were taken to those in question, all penned similarly aside from the names:

Serrus Belcaw
Murrukh
Elliot Gahald
Niall

Ser/a,

We don't know one another.

But, I am certain that you have heard tales of the reluctant noblewoman who walks more comfortably among soldiers. I am certain you have heard of my attempts to bring sustenance to Myrken in its darkened, famine-ridden days. Or perhaps you've heard less flattering tales. My men have told me stories of you, as well. However, all of us - we've little use for rumors, tales, or myths as war threatens these borders.

Whatever your identity or chosen path, my men have seen your worth and guided me your way.

I write to offer a career among my services, to join my company for a time. However long will depend your own wisdom, but you will be paid handsomely as we discover if we will be able to trust one another. The details of our relationship remain yours to decide.

Do not hesitate to join me for a ride, a drink, or a spar at your convenience, should you find your curiosity whetted.

The Lady Egris Verreaux
The Kestrel
Kestrel

Re: Risk and Benefit

Postby Urukhin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:21 am

In reply, a letter; cheap paper, charcoal applied crudely and with more force than is really necessary - though painstaking care has been taken over the letters of the lady's name.

LADY EGRIS VERREAUX

YOR WORDS ARE VERY KIND AND I AM GLAD YOR MEN HAVE SPOKE WELL OF ME. YOR INVY INVET OFFER IS GENROUS BUT I AM NOT ONE TO PLEGE MY NAME TO ANOTHER, BEING MORE OF A FREE LANCE THAN A SOLGER AS I DO NOT TAKE WELL TO ORDERS AND MY TALANTS ARE NOT SUTED TO MARCHING UP AND DOWN. THOW IF YOU NEED STRONG ARMS OR SOME SKULLS BREKING I WOOLD BE GLAD TO HELP FOR A FEE, OR ASK ME AFTER A FUW CUPS AND I MITE STRIKE YOU A BARGAN OR IF YOU HAVE OLD RUENS OR TOOMS THAT NEED LOOTING I AM IN FOR A SHARE.

I AM ALWAYS UP FOR A SCRAP SO IF YOU WANT TO SPAR JUST FIND ME AND WE CAN TRADE BROOSES.

MURUK
Urukhin

Re: Risk and Benefit

Postby Jirai » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:05 am

Niall did not have much. It made packing a simple task. Those few things that the scarred woman did possess were far too precious to risk on a journey. They stayed, as they always did, locked away in the house that was always Kyra’s more than hers. She did not need them with her, just needed to know they were safe. Travelling was easy. A little bit of food and drink tossed in the saddle bags, saddle bags tossed on the horse, and that was that. She would be ready to leave.

It was just as she was in the barn, closing up the saddlebags that the messenger found her. Almost, she threw the missive away, unread. Curiosity got the better of her, however, and she leaned against the horse’s stall as she opened it and scanned the contents.

Several minutes passed as the tattooed woman stood there, considering the bit of parchment in her hands. Finally, she tucked the letter into her belt, stuffed the saddlebags in a corner, and strode out of the barn.

She would find this Kestrel and see for herself.
Jirai
Op

Return to The Broken Dagger