Gloria Gets a Gloriously Gory Gift

Gloria Gets a Gloriously Gory Gift

Postby BetaFlame » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:44 pm

It was a box, delivered by courier. Not a large box, but it could not be described as small either. So perhaps it had been for a farmer to ship their crop to market. There was an.. odd smell about it. Charcoal almost. Tacked to the top was a letter, sealed with wax and pressed with the signet of Aleksei - A river splitting a mountain. It was unlikely Gloria knew his signet, but it was a formal letter after all. Penned in clear and flowing hand, it was scribed more than written. It was almost artful in the way the letters flowed. Formal.

Damn Gloria,

I hope this letter finds you well. It is good that spring will be breaking soon,
as this awful cold must cause the stump you call an arm to ache ever so much!

You commented to others that I should not be trusted to assist in the mystery
of the Creature in the Woods. I determined that I should not be involved,
simply because I don't care to solve it.

Inside you will find all the evidence I collected regarding the creature and
whatever it is doing.

Good luck.
-Ever your friend;
Aleksei River

If she does decide to open the box, she will find only ashes. Everything burned down to nothing but white ash and charcoal. Anything that might have been there rendered worthless.
BetaFlame

Re: Gloria Gets a Gloriously Gory Gift

Postby Rance » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:29 am

She folds the parchment along its bisecting creases to preserve it.

The contents had caused a moment of shock, and she's bewildered to behold what has been scorched or burned to leave that much gray dust in its wake. She sits upon her sagging bed and examines the little mountains of dust, but promptly presses the lid back atop the vessel. She doesn't part the letter from the delivery; the two are meant to be married, a message with a message--

But the ashes, she knows, are meant for her, their words written invisibly between the gaps of Aleksei's others:

This could be you, the box of ash proclaims.
Rance
Co-Founder

Return to The Broken Dagger