Two easy ways to kill a good working relationship.

Two easy ways to kill a good working relationship.

Postby channe » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:27 am

A messenger-boy arrives at the Meetinghouse that morning with a sealed missive for Suede Roschen; "urgent," he says, "to be put directly into the hands of the Councilor."

Councilor Roschen, it reads,

I've been thinking about that little chat we had in the hallway a few nights ago, when you so ignominiously and disgustingly resorted to physical violence to make your message clear. You said that I believe things that people tell me far too readily; that I have believed the words of others too easily, and that I fell victim to this more than once. Now, mind you, since then I have had occasion to think solidly on these things.

So, as you may imagine, I wonder what to think of the man who came upon myself and my companion while leaving the Broken Dagger last night; the man who, upon learning my identity, whipped out two long knives, told me that 'Roschen sends his regards,' and attempted to kill me. I wonder what to believe.

Of course, we also discussed your extraordinary capacity to lie when the occasion suits you that night, as well; so. Whether you were behind the attempt or not, I will never truly know; the onus is on me, is it not, to weigh the different sides of the story, tease out the hidden meanings, and make my decision.

This is the second time this week I have been at the mercy of someone who wants to kill me, and I do not think I shall give my opponents the gratification they desire and thus will not leave the house until my guard recovers from her ailments, or without being in the company of other protection. Personally, I am rather glad the assassin did not succeed.

Are you?

Do not test me, Roschen.

Sincerely,
Coriolanus Helstone

Funny how the manner of his escape from this certain stabbing death is conveniently left out of the letter, is it not?
channe

Postby Suede » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:54 am

The messenger would be held before he could depart, and after the tailor finished reading Mr. Helstone's note he'd form a response and have it sent back to his fellow Councilor with all due haste.

To One Coriolanus Helstone, Councilor of Administrative Sanctions:

I must say, I laughed when I read your letter, let me tell you why, and I'll be succint. Do you think, if I wanted you dead, I'd actually let you know it was me trying to do it? If you really believe I'd be so sloppy to even let the person sent know it was me who wanted it, then you really -do- need to reconsider your career.

Really Helstone, I did say I liked you... and I have no interest in dealing with this entire Hellish province alone. I'm not in the business of killing or hiring assassins. Far, far too messy.

Either way, I bid you a good evening and wish the best for Rosemaria.

Sincerely
Suede Roschen, Councilor of Agriculture

'Besides,' he thought to himself. 'I'd be more subtle than an attack.' For he'd rather ruin you... or send the one person he could trust.
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."
~ Dark Helmet, Spaceballs
Suede

Postby channe » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:44 am

The poor messenger boy. He gets sent straight back to the Meetinghouse.

Councilor Roschen, says the letter --

I do apologize for the acerbic tone of the earlier letter. As you can imagine, I'm a little on edge; this is the second attempt on my life this week -- and there's the whole matter of making right on the things I did while a prisoner, of course.

I'm looking forward to putting aside our personal differences to work towards the betterment of the province. There are many things that need to be done. We will need to meet again.

Again, my apologies for my earlier haste.

Sincerely,
Coriolanus Helstone.
channe

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse