Begging Your Pardon.

Postby channe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:51 am

"An exchange," says Helstone. "My good sir, I should give you some law-books to take home. No. If Ariane Carnath-Emory was truly out for the good of the province, would she not allow the information to -- hmm. Be leaked? Offer it, in exchange for what protection we can offer -- no, and no, sir, a pardon is not *protection*, unless you consider it *protection* from the likes of you and me. Think about it."

More drumming on the table, as he thinks, and thinks, and thinks.

"They're available from the Brotherhood, especially to one such as yourself. Apparently, one of the soldiers -- she knows Miss Carnath-Emory, I think -- tried to take him in, and Ariane stopped her. Mr. Renne is already on a list of persons of interest, I suppose."

He eyes Cinnabar, then. "In Collingford, I was a criminal lawyer, Mr. Calomel. Defense, mostly. If you are sure your client is guilty, but still are hired to prove him innocent, there are a number of paths you can take. One of the most popular, and most effective, is to protect him or her from the largest penalty incurred by law using methods such as this: pardons, bargaining. *Exchanges*."

He punctuates that by taking a drink of tea.
channe

Postby Cinnabar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:19 am

"Are you sure that they are guilty, sir?" Pale gaze even and steady, though the tone is... clipped. Perhaps a trifle frustrated. "If so, why have they not been brought in already? If not, why continue to act as if they are?" Brow furrowed, as if attempting to solve a particularly vile column of figures, or untangle a particularly snarled knot. When next he speaks it is slowly, thinking aloud as much as anything.

"Why should a pardon be requested if they are innocent? Why should the honest citizen fear the authorities?" Riddles and paradoxes, to be teased apart carefully. When is a door not a door? Why is a raven like a writing desk? "You do not trust them, this much is clear. In turn, they do not entirely trust you - they know that you are suspicious of them, and feel that it is not warranted. They feel that it is... perhaps irrational. And because you are in a position to act on your suspicions, however irrational they might be, that makes them nervous in the extreme."

He tilts his head to one side, regarding Helstone with a curiously detached gaze; appraising, evaluating, almost looking through him. "They fear you, because despite the shortage of concrete (from their point of view) reasons to suspect them - and a number of reasons to trust them, gauging from their past actions - you still treat them as if they are guilty. And if you still treat them as guilty, their only recourse is to seek a pardon as if they were guilty, as that would serve as some protection from your mistrust."

A blink, and he sits up a bit straighter, eyes focussing once more on Helstone's face. "Consider, sir: if you felt threatened - mortally so, indeed - would you not use whatever leverage you could find to reduce that threat?" Indeed, he might add: isn't that what the Constabulary's there for? The Constabulary, and your elegant bodyguard assigned to watch over it - over him? "Does what they ask threaten the safety of Myrken Wood's citizens more, or less than allowing several dozen of the Baie's cultists to remain at large?"
Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
Cinnabar

Postby channe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:36 am

He listens: grant him that, Cinnabar, he is a good listener, at least to you. He heaves a sigh, presses his fingers to his temple, thinking and mulling the things Cinnabar has said. And then, in his finery, he quietly gets out three pieces of paper. Expensive. Heavy. Official paper.

"This is your evaluation? Perhaps you are right; perhaps I have been too unfair. But when you have seen what I have seen, Cinnabar, you'd understand that you can never be too careful. There are more shadows lurking around the corner than you could possibly imagine, High Constable; vigilance is our call. Nevertheless --"

Watch, then, as he writes out two pardons, slowly, in his tight, elegant hand; as he takes the signet ring from his fingers, drips sealing wax on the papers, presses it close. Minutes pass without the former barrister saying a word.

"This is my final bargain: a pardon for Ariane Carnath-Emory and one for either Altias Bromn or Michael Renne -- as a symbol of my good faith, she will be allowed to choose. The third will remain in my possession and will be delivered to her on the evening of the day we move against the koltists whose names she provides. She may have my word on that."

More tea, then. Tea makes the bitterness go down faster. "As for you, Mr. Calomel. You had best be right, mm?"
channe

Postby Cinnabar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:57 am

He watches the Governor quietly, oberves the little ritual of government in action - ink, paper, wax and seal.

"There will be vigilance, sir. A pardon only covers what has gone before." A tight smile at that, short on mirth. His gaze lifts from the fresh-sealed documents, the smile quirking a little, wry humour seeping into it.

"I'll present your terms forthwith. No offence, sir, but I suspect she would be more comfortable if she had your word on that in writing. This issue of trust is a tricky one."

That said he drains the last of his tea and sets the cup and saucer down on the tray. Rising, then, to offer a formal bow to the Governor.

"If I am mistaken, I shall take full responsibility for correcting matters."
Cinnabar

Postby channe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:18 pm

"My assurances are a Governor's assurances; they are not given lightly, nor with undue consideration. This is enough. Let her be happy with my *word*, unless you, too, doubt me. Trust requires one to go out on a limb, does it not? I have; let her, too, and meet me in the center."

Behind his eyes there's a flash of something dangerous; it interests him, as he looks at Cinnabar -- strangely detached, strangely here. He snaps for an aide, informs the aide that the tea-water is growing lukewarm and to boil more. The aide absconds with the teapot.

"Correcting matters, yes," he says, but he's almost on to a new thing, now -- "We'll be on to that quickly, thanks to you. Also -- there's a letter I recieved regarding someone who claims to have names in the child-killings; one Alexis Demarshay. I've sent her your way; check her out if you would. And, Mr. Calomel?"

He fixes the man, then, with his full gaze.

"Good job."
channe

Postby Cinnabar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:53 pm

The High Constable shrugs lightly at the Governor's mention of compromise, content to let the matter drop. "An idea only." The scrutiny turned upon him is met with a calm gaze, though alert; steady, vigilant.

At mention of the other matter, though, brows raise with interest. "Indeed? Progress on all fronts, it seems. I shall have it looked into." And finally a grin at Helstone's praise, and another quick bow of acknowledgement.

"Thank you, sir."
Cinnabar

Postby channe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:00 pm

"No, thank you, and good evening," he says -- and there he goes, back onto another matter in front of him, after a nod and -- yes, a smile.
channe

Previous

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse