Begging Your Pardon.

Begging Your Pardon.

Postby Cinnabar » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:48 pm

High Constable Calomel of the Myrkentown Constabulary nods amiably to the guard outside the Meetinghouse door. The silver-haired young man has become an increasingly frequent visitor to the illustrious seat of Myrken Wood's government of late, and a familiar sight to most of the guards there. He's in uniform today, grey tunic neatly buttoned, brass badge polished until it glows. Very smart.

"Good morning, Bartolf. Things are quiet, I hope? I need to speak with the Governor, if he's available."
Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
Cinnabar

Postby channe » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:45 pm

"Available, High Constable? Oh, you know him; never and always." He seems a little more alert than the guard Alexis got the night previously -- and even opens the door a little more alertly, where Helstone stands amid just a slight bit of hubbub; the aides have yet to arrive for the day, although he's already sitting amidst a mass of paperwork, wearing the same blue suit as the night before -- edged in gold, resplendent white necktie with the silver tie-broach, sleeves that betray just the hint of excellent tailoring and a shirt underneath with quality far beyond that usually turned out by your average Myrken tailor.

There's a difference, though, between these surroundings and those belonging to Altias Bromn. His clothes may match Altias' opulence, but the rest of the meetinghouse displays a more functional elegance. The furniture belonging to Helstone, at least, is quality, well-carved and well built. The others -- well, it's still all secondhand, as he does not see much sense in replacing it when they're just going to leave.

"Ah, Calomel," he says, indicating the tea-set before him. "There's enough for two, have some. Have you eaten breakfast? I have a few things for the criers to announce -- a farming subsidy, for one, and the new Meetinghouse construction."
channe

Postby Cinnabar » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:12 pm

A nod of thanks to the door guard and Cinnabar steps into the Meetinghouse, a pleased smile at the sight of the tea-set. How civilised.

"Thank you, sir. I've already eaten, but tea would be most welcome." He helps himself, going about the little rituals of cup and saucer and so forth with familiar ease - a refill for the Governor also, should he be needing such.

"Good news for once - I'm glad to hear it, sir. I'm sure the farmers will too, and, well." He glances round at the somewhat cramped and cluttered quarters of the interim Meetinghouse. "I've no doubt the work of government will be much more comfortable in a more spacious setting." In truth he's always wondered how the Governor and clerks and functionaries could possibly manage to work in such ill-suited surroundings, always at risk of tripping over one another or upsetting inkwells or towering stacks of paper with a misplaced elbow.

"I've some progress of my own to report, in fact, which I think will only add to the good news." He sips his tea, then glances to the seat before the governor's desk. A silent request for permission; only polite, after all, in the Governor's own office.
Cinnabar

Postby channe » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:43 pm

Civilized. What other word can you use to describe Coriolanus Helstone?

He pushes aside the work he is doing, at least; his tight, careful script is somewhat unreadable from above, although Calomel may, if he is interested, read it; it is a brief he is writing on Myrken Wood military law.

"Oh, it'll be a wonderful building; the architects assure me. We'll expand the gallery for Council meetings, as well; that's the main reason to have a meetinghouse, sir, for such proceedings to be open to the public. And I think Councilor Treadwell wants his office back, so I might as well oblige the man, hm?"

He takes a very -- civilized -- sip, and places the cup on the saucer. "I didn't doubt you for a second, sir; progress is what I expected." He looks pleased. "Please, tell me."
channe

Postby Cinnabar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:04 am

Polite nods at the description of plans for the new Meetinghouse, listening carefully. But then, to the meat of why he's here.

"I have some information on the Baie's capabilities - a report on such will be on your desk as soon as I have interviewed a couple more witnesses. Meanwhile, I am following a lead which will hopefully allow us to positively identify a number of the Baie's followers and thus bring them into custody to face justice for their crimes. My... source... has a list of a score or more such individuals. Add to that a further dozen who are heavily suspected but cannot be confirmed for certain just yet, and the situation is most encouraging." A thin smile at this news, allowing it a moment to sink in. "This contact is every bit as keen to see the Baie's cult destroyed as we are - the information they give will be double-checked, of course, but but I have reason to believe that it is solid."

He sips his own tea, grey gaze on the Governor in case he might have any questions at this point in the proceedings.

"And of course, once we have cultists in custody, it should be easier to obtain further information about the cult and its membership, aiding us further in breaking it apart."
Cinnabar

Postby channe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:15 am

He's listening. His eyes glisten with -- something akin to greed; something akin to victory. And when he speaks, it's rather warmly.

"I entrusted a large task to you, Mister Calomel, and I see that I was not mistaken in my evaluation of your skills. Excellent." He clasps his hands on the desk and regards the High Constable. "With information like that, we can go for a day's clean sweep; we can engage your office, as well as the Brotherhood, and arrest those involved without most of them going to ground. The last thing I want is to play fox-and-hound with a hundred peasants, yes?"
channe

Postby Cinnabar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:16 am

He bows his head slightly, demurring to Helstone's praise. Well, that part at least seemed well-received, and the Governor seems to be in a fairly good mood. Onwards, then.

"Indeed - the more swiftly and cleanly it is done the better, and the less chance for the cultists to go to ground if they feel the net drawing in." He sips at his tea again, savouring the aroma for a time.

"It should be noted that the contact is cooperative, as I say, but also cautious. They ask for a certain degree of protection before they can divulge what they know - they fear repercussions of one sort or another, and not without reason. If they can be assured of their safety - and I believe it is readily within your powers to do this, sir - then there is no doubt that they would be of considerable assistance in smashing the cult, in terms of providing information on the cult and indeed beyond."

His cup is set in its saucer with a light clink of porcelain. "I feel that the value of their knowledge with regard to our efforts against the Baie cannot be overstated, sir. To offer them a degree of security in return would be a trivially easy consideration."
Cinnabar

Postby channe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:23 am

"Of course," Helstone says, and, yes, that's a note of caution in his voice. "Of course, your contact will be interested in safety; giving away such names is a step in the direction of justice, but will expose him or her to certain retaliation. And, of course, in the interests of justice -- we should provide such."

Helstone starts in on his third cup of tea, dropping a sugar cube into the cup. Steam rises.

"I agree. What do you have in mind? We can have Captain Karolinger set a guard."
channe

Postby Cinnabar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:33 am

Expression carefully neutral, almost studiously indifferent as he absently watches the Governor preparing his tea.

"Nothing so troublesome. A signature and a seal - mere paperwork." Pale eyes flick to the governor's face, keenly watching his reaction for all that the rest of the Constable's features remain calm and impassive.

"A pardon for three individuals - my contact, and two associates. In exchange for which, the means to break the back of the Baie's cult, and bring twenty, maybe thirty of its followers to justice at a stroke. With more to follow." He sips his tea, regarding Helstone over the rim of his cup.

"A bargain, I feel."
Cinnabar

Postby channe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:52 am

He was following you up to this point, Cinnabar -- at this point, though, something in his face has changed. He puts down the spoon he's using to stir his tea, lifts his chin, and simply stares at the man.

"A pardon is not simply 'mere paperwork,' sir. It has implications for -- for my governance, for everything we do, and depending on who your contact is --" he pauses, tilts his head. "Names, Calomel. Who are they?"
channe

Postby Cinnabar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:18 am

The young man nods, accepting the Governor's point. He's done his best to set things up favourably - phrasing, choice of words, tone of voice all just so - and now all he can do is play it out.

"Two of the names were mentioned in the dossier your office provided, the third not." He glances down to his teacup for a moment, before returning his attention to Helstone.

"Ariane Carnath-Emory and Altias Bromn are the first two. I know they have been noted as... suspect, but against the cult of the Baie, I think they are the lesser evil." A wry smile at that. "The third, not mentioned in the files, is someone called Michael Renne. At some time a physician at the Rememdium. I have yet to check into his background further, but will certainly endeavour to do so." A sip of tea to moisten his throat.

"The pardon - if granted, of course - would obviously not protect them from future wrongdoings, and I would most certainly expect to keep a close eye on their activities thereafter."
Cinnabar

Postby channe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:30 am

Helstone is silent at first. He temples his fingers; he looks at Cinnabar with an unreadable expression. He then leans forward, as if this were not for the ears of the bustling aides, as if, all of a sudden, they were in the room, alone.

"She wishes me to trust her, but she will not trust me in return."

He heaves a sigh, and eyes his inkwell. His voice is much less agreeable.

"In return for pardons for three, she will give the names of everyone else. Hm. I do not like being the subject of extortion, Mr. Calomel. I do not enjoy peace, my major goal, being dangled in front of this government by a two foreigners and a highly suspicious third. I understand Bromn, sir -- he and Ariane are close, so so speak -- but this Mister Renne? Is he a cultist, too, or simply someone with a dark past? And if this past is not suspect, why would she be searching for a pardon?"

He eyes Cinnabar, strangely.

"This government will not bow to extortion."
channe

Postby Cinnabar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:57 am

"Extortion, sir?" Pale brow quirked curiously. "I am not sure how." He leans forward, elbows resting on knees, slender fingers laced before him, pale gaze intent on the Governor.

"From what I can see of the situation, it is beneficial to both sides - we gain a means to cripple the cult of the Baie, and these three are permitted to start afresh. If they act inappropriately after a pardon is issued, they will face the consequences." He sits up. "If the pardon is denied, what is gained? Three who perhaps have some dark secret in their past, or some reason to fear the authorities. But if they have not been called to account for such by now, what is to say that there is enough evidence to bring them to account at some point in the future? Meanwhile cultists who might otherwise be captured and brought to trial are instead free to do whatever it is that they do." A brief lowering of brows indicates what he thinks of that.

"You do not trust her. She does not trust you. You have suspicions about her, and she repays that in kind. And yet, in this pardon there is an opportunity to gain her trust, and hence her cooperation. Her ties are to her allies, yes? From what I have seen of her, this is very much the case. So would it not be more sensible to make an ally of her, to win her loyalty with a gesture such as this?"

He shrugs lightly. "Meanwhile, given her demonstrable loathing for the cult of the Baie, I do not believe that she would have anything to do with anyone who she believed to be at all associated with the cult. She hates it with a ferocity that borders on obsession. So, given that the other two are deeply unlikely to be associated with the cult, can they possibly be guilty of anything worse than the horrors that the Baie's followers have perpetrated?

"It is not extortion, sir. It is opportunity."

It is a persuasive argument, he hopes.
Cinnabar

Postby channe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:16 am

"Extortion," Helstone repeats. "A criminal offense, in which one person gains a service from another by means of intimidation. Related to blackmail."

He pauses, tapping the pad of his finger against the desk.

"Her ties are to her allies, and -- I do believe her to be a good person, at heart. But I do not believe all of her allies are; the company she has been seen in, at times? Suspect, so suspect. Bromn and Renne, have also been subject of certain troubling incident reports -- If we can be blackmailed, sir, cannot we? The law says: 'the government shall not be coerced,' and what is this? But still --" he looks down at the paper in front of him. "

And then, his eyes flicker, and he looks back at Cinnabar. "Bromn or Renne. If given the choice, which would she choose, Mr. Calomel, and why? You are her friend, after all."
channe

Postby Cinnabar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:16 am

Cinnabar frowns at the Governors explanation, and shakes his head sharply.

"Intimidation, sir? By no means. No threats have been issued, that I can see. She seeks not to bully you, governor, but to bargain. She can help us, we can help her. An exchange."

Helstone's question has him sitting back in his chair, head tilted thoughtfully as he regards the man on the other side of the desk. Moments pass as he considers his answer.

"Choose? If a pardon were only to be offered to one of them, you mean? I cannot say for certain, sir - I have met Bromn only in passing, and Renne not at all. I know that she is quite... involved with Bromn, and even now resides in his apartments - resting to heal from some injury, I believe. They are close." He shrugs. "Renne, I do not know - I have heard the name mentioned once or twice, perhaps, though always only in passing. Apparently he attended to her wounds recently, but she is not as close to him as she is to Bromn. In truth, I do not know why she might ask for a pardon for him." He shrugs.

"And since I've not been privy to the incident reports you mention, sir, perhaps I am ill-placed to offer and opinion on the matter." Silvery brows raise slightly - inquiry? Challenge?

"On what information I have, I would imagine her most likely to choose Bromn. They are closer, and she would be more likely to wish him protected. All other things being equal."
Cinnabar

Next

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse