The King's Man in Myrken Wood Returns...

The King's Man in Myrken Wood Returns...

Postby Hawkesbury » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:24 am

A young boy walks into Altias’s bakery and looks around, somewhat confused by the delivery location. However, every person that he had asked about where to find Governor Bromn had said the same thing and pointed in the general direction of the bakery. So, the letter was left on behalf of one of the bakers with instruction that she deliver it to Altias Bromn himself.

The letter bore the wax sigil of a man with whom Altias had never before corresponded. Whether he would recognize it as the crest of the Lord of Hawkesbury was unknown. The letter read as follows...

[indent]To the venerable Lord Altias Bromn of Xanth Grange, by the One God’s grace Governor of Myrken Wood; Aldwin Meriwether Gilby, 3rd Baron Hawkesbury, 1st Baron Amesbury, Minister of Myrken Wood - Greetings.

Please forgive that our first correspondence is by messenger, rather than in person, but I have only just returned to Myrken Wood from my trip to Razasan on the orders of His Majesty King Chedwry II and I felt compelled to contact you posthaste.

You can only imagine my surprise when, upon arriving at Amesbury, I heard of the disposal of your predecessor and of your return to the Governorship. Though let it be made certain that my surprise carries with it no disappointment. My interactions with the previous Governor were both brief and few. As a result, you need not be fearful of where my allegiances may fall. My loyalty is to both His Majesty and, of course, the people of Myrken Wood.

Although I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting you in person, I can not help but feel that we know one another. Your family is well known to me due to the acquaintance of our fathers. Indeed, I have had the pleasure of supping with His Grace on three separate occasions. I am certain that His Grace is pleased that you continue the family legacy of performing great works on behalf of the Crown.

As you have undoubtedly been made aware, I was granted the title of Minister of these lands and sent to Myrken Wood this year last by His Majesty so that I may act as a liaison betwixt the two. My role has been a difficult one to execute upon these months past as I have been suffering the renovation of Amesbury Estate, my local Myrken residence. Whilst the work was done, I was unable to find suitable lodging in the Wood, which resulted in my taking residence with Lord Tordham in Ricathair, Amasynia. But fear thee not, as the renovations are finally completed and the estate is once again fit for the living. I would very much love the honor of entertaining you at your earliest convenience, as well as any guest or guests that you should feel fit to invite.

I look forward to your council and am available to you upon request.

Done by my hand this Third of June, Anno Regalis Two Hundred and Seven.

[/indent]
Hawkesbury

Postby Altias_Bromn » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:46 pm

It has been a few days since the letter had been delivered, and time after time Altias would pick it up, read it over, and lay it down again.

"Your family is well known to me due to the acquaintance of our fathers. Indeed, I have had the pleasure of supping with His Grace on three separate occasions. I am certain that His Grace is pleased that you continue the family legacy of performing great works on behalf of the Crown."

Each time he read that passage he wanted to laugh outloud. Proud. Not likely. Still, it was a pleasant enough thought from a man who could not possibly know the history between the Duke of Xanth Grange and his youngest son.

Finally, he decided he would formulate a response to this Lord Hawksbury and call the Fick girl to compose a letter in the morning.

"Eli!"

For a man who spoke so softly, his voice carried to the bakery below with little effort. The young man came galloping up the stairs as if his britches were on fire.

"Yes, your governorship, Ser?"

"Fetch the Fick girl...I have need of a formal letter."

Wrong, in all the right ways
Altias_Bromn

beckoned.

Postby Wendy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:39 am

The girl was good to arrive the next morning, taking care that she did not disturb the governor until the rising sun was visible. Sleep eluded her throughout the night, which made it difficult for Pemberton to look at the fiery star without her eyes protectively closing. Nevertheless, she appeared presentable when the door to the bakery was opened. Giving in to a yawn, as the assistant permit her entry, she offered a hand-smothered "Good morning, Eli."

Meetinghouse papers hugged in her arms, Pemberton waited just inside the door for governor Bromn. A leather satchel dangling from her shoulder had begun to slide for her elbow. The tease of aromatic breads was strong. That heavy smell of yeast would, no doubt, weave into the fabrics of her layers by the time she finished updating the governor and providing correspondence.
Wendy

Postby Altias_Bromn » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:17 am

"good mornin', ma'am."

The young man's blush rivaled the deep reds of the rising sun, as he ducked his eyes away from her gaze and giggled softly.

"Miss Fick to see you, Sir."

"Of course, yes...do come in. Thank you Eli."

Altias reclined in his comfortable chair, looking over the letter from Hawksbury again. Noting the papers and the satchel that Pemberton carried, he nodded to the desk.

"Please, put down your things. I need a letter for Lord Hawksbury. I shall be accepting his invitation to dinner. What else have you there for me? It seems quite a lot to simply pen a letter."

A long look at the young lady, those oddly mismatched eyes taking in everything she carried.

"Sit. Sit. We have work to do, hmmm?"

Altias_Bromn

Postby Wendy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:39 am

Seen further inside to where the governor posed, Pemberton fashioned a nod.

"Good morning, Your Grace," she said. The paper pile was laid to rest, as indicated, and the girl offered, "Yesterday's news, Sir, records of the public meeting regarding funds allocated to the Constabulary. I was told you would look over them." Pemberton had been in attendance, as were Calomel and several inquisitive townspersons.

She set her leather pack beside the disheveled heap of pages, then tucked the curled ends of her red locks behind her ears. Necesseties like scrolled paper, and a bundled assortment of pens, were pulled from the mouth of her bag.

Pemberton glanced toward Eli, not sure whether he would remain for the duration, "When you are ready, Governor," the girl smiled, already selecting her pen. Had he meant to dictate? The girl was seen taking her seat.
Wendy

Postby Altias_Bromn » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:12 am

"Miss Fick...please...call me Altias. I am no ones Grace, I assure you."

There was a slight smile at that, an expression which seemed to come less and less to the face of the governor.

"Eli...tea and scones, if you please."

The young man would run off as quickly as he had appeared, making hsi way back to the kitchen to prepare the requested food and drink.

"I wish you to take a letter. From myself to one..."

He scans the letter once more to make sure he gets it just so.

"..Aldwin Meriwether Gilby, 3rd Baron Hawkesbury, 1st Baron Amesbury, Minister of Myrken Wood. It seems this gentleman speaks with the voice of the King. It would do Myrken well to find themselves in his favor, I believe."

He cleared his throat and began dictation.

"I thank you for your letter and your well wishes. I am, currently, trying to catch up on all the work left behind by the previous administration. I would enjoy the opportunity to meet with you at your earliest convenience. I believe a nice dinner would be enjoyable and informative for us both."

"Please let my messenger know when would be a good tiem for you, so that we may make arrangements."

Altias had never been good at all this formal nonsense, and so he waved his hand a bit, and settled back in his chair. The letter from Hawksbury was then pushed across the table toward Miss Fick.

"If you would be so kind, fill in any of the formalities you believe are needed, hmm? And sign my name, with all the titles and fancy nonsense that seems to be the correct way to do this."

"And while I have you here, Miss Fick, is there any other business we should look into?"

Altias_Bromn

Postby Wendy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:54 pm

Eli was dismissed. The young woman carefully observed the governor. She had a professional expression on her face while memorizing the Minister of Myrken Wood's full address line. Her hand scribbled notes according to the governor's speech.

Pemberton reached for the document being shared across Bromn's desk. She read from the page, hunting down Hawkesbury's tone so that she could write a letter from the governor that would impress him. "I will begin your formal response immediately, Sir, inviting Lord Hawkesbury to dinner."

An absorbent, hazel gaze lifted from the paper at the governor's inquiry. "Hm, Sir?" she asked. The Fick girl relaxed within the arms of a leather chair, and took pause to recall any news.

"There is the matter of the Councilor's party, ahm, Mister Treadwell's birthday. It is an evening function, Sir... I.. wonder... would you have me send a gift?"

Lord Hawkesbury's statement remained in her hand, but went ignored while the girl searched Bromn's gaze.
Wendy

Postby Altias_Bromn » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:57 pm

A bizarre gaze met her own. Violet and emerald. It had not always been so, but many things had changed over the years, and this was one piece of a very complicated puzzle. Ebon hair shot through with crimson, was tucked behind one ear as he smiled suddenly.

"Al's having a birthday! Do not think I would have forgotten."

The lean creature rose from the chair behind the desk with a grace which rivaled young ladies who had attended finishing school. Behind ornate screens of ebony wood and silk, the governor kept his bed. On the bed was a beautifully wrapped gift, tied with a large purple bow. Within? A Violet velvet top hat.

Altias returned with the gift, setting it neatly on the cluttered desk.

"I've asked Martha to prepare a batch of chocolate cookies. They should be waiting for you when you leave. I would also like you to deliver those to the party, with my apologies for not making it myself."

"Miss Fick...I wished to tell you that I appreciate all your assistance over these last weeks. I am not sure what I would have done without you."

With those words a small black velvet pouch was removed from his desk drawer as he seated himself. It was pressed across the table toward her.

"A bonus."

Again that smile, once a trademark to all who knew him, blossomed on his weary features. If she were to look inside she would find a small gift. Something Altias was willing to afford to her. To some, a small fortune, to others a mere few coins. Three glittering coins of silver rested inside. He hoped it would be enough.

Altias_Bromn

Postby Wendy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:32 am

Violet and emerald, such peculiarity. Seeing his gaze had an affect on the girl, but other than the dilation of her pupils, no response appeared.

Altias left his post in order to collect the gift for Councilor Treadwell. Meanwhile, Pemberton chanced another gaze at the paper in hand. She was almost certain that Lord Hawkesbury's own hand had written it - or he hired an impeccable scribe. Musing, she listened as the governor set his present on the desk.

"Of course, Sir," she said, "Councilor Treadwell is going to be delighted when he sees the cookies... maybe enough to forget that you were not in attendance." Her laugh was warm, but soft, as she did not care to overstep the boundary of professionalism.

She was eager to get to work, especially since there was a letter to the king's man to be penned. The governor went on about her, though, making her feel invaluable. This made the young lady's smile very wide, until the offer of a gift was presented.

Licking her lips, she thought to immediately decline. Coppery tresses, of medium length, shifted as her head turned back and forth. Her skin remained flawless, but for the fading freckles that tripped across her nose... no rise in color as yet.

"Oh, no, I couldn't," she insisted, not even tempted to look inside the presented velvet pouch. "Please, Sir, whle I have learned to appreciate small gifts like yours, it can be awkward for me to receive them." She leaned back in her chair, balancing an empty paper scroll over the thigh of one leg. Lord Hawkesbury's letter in one hand, her pen in the other, she grinned and shook her head, "I find that if I indulge this time, I will come to expect them again and again. One might say that I've got a voracious appetite for consideration."

Hazel eyes gleaming, she completely refrained from looking at the velvet bag, centering her gaze on the bearer's face, "Thank you very much, but I will abstain from taking gifts when you clearly pay me enough in salary."

Then the box with the bright purple bow gave her an idea. Pemberton leaned forward only slightly, careful so that the scroll would not slip, "If you must show your appreciation, I'd be delighted to receive a gift on my birthday."
Wendy

Postby Altias_Bromn » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:16 am

Laughter.

Clear and bright.

Oh such a rare thing these days from Altias Bromn.

"Your birthday. And when might that be, Miss Fick? I must warn you, however, that I tend to be more personal than mere coin when it comes to birthdays. You will have to tell me what it is you wish for your birthday. Everyone gets a birthday wish."

HIs smile was warm, even as the laughter faded, and it seemed to ease the look of weariness upon his features.

"Very well then. A letter for Ser Gilby, and do let him know that dinner would be fine at his home or my own. Given the current state of my living conditions I would imagine he will choose his own more stately accomendations."

"I did not wish to bring this up, since it has been such an enjoyable meeting, but I wondered if you could make some time to visit the constable for me? I wish to hear news of the whsiperings I hear about town from the constable himself. More murders, I am told. One which seems to be the work of the Order. And another...more human in nature. I would wish his thoughts on these matters, even is only by message."

"And there seems to be a matter of The Brotherhood...I need to find that letter Gods damn it. We shall save that for another time. Though I have heard another order of Knights is now present. Perhaps this is rumor as well. I am sure the constable will know."

"And... this is very important. I wish to call two meetings. One with the remaining council members, as well as The Constable and the Leaders of The Brotherhood, this new order of knights, and the Militia..if they are still with us. Can you think of any others that should attend?"

"The second meeting will follow the first, and this I would wish to be a public meeting. No sense calling the public together until the council has been united again."

"Lastly..."

He leaned back in his chair again, the shadows creeping over his features once more as the smile faded.

"..I wish a letter penned to Lothbury. I wish word from Giscard."

Altias_Bromn

Postby Wendy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:33 am

With so much to palate there was no reason to question Bromn's fatigue. Compassion won out. His new secretary pulled her chair even closer to his desk. There, she laid open a page and cautiously dipped her pen in an available well of ink. As Bromn gave direction, Pemberton made further notations.

Most of these issues she had been made aware of, having overheard conversations throughout their circle of contacts. The girl looked up when the last command came to its close. She offered a wan smile, borne of respect for the governor's weary countenance, "I shall do my best."

Looking over her shoulder, the girl pointed out an unused surface - a table which hosted a small, wooden chair, "Should I work over there, Sir?" At his nod, she would rise and gather all things, taking pains to defend the perfection of the king's man's letter, as if it was crafted by an angel's hand.

"My birthday, Sir, is the third of September." she said, offering this means to please the governor, "I can't begin to think of what I'd wish for. Perhaps.. assurance that we will all be protected from a reimposition of food shortage." She wondered if he had already learned about the rising food costs since his claim of office.
Wendy

Postby Altias_Bromn » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:41 am

"Bloody Hell...thank you for reminding me, Miss Fick. That should be included in the letter to the Councilors and others as the first order of business. Food was what helped us get this far, we can't lose that now."

"And, Miss Fick? If you have thoughts, opinions, on these matters, it would be doing me a great service to share them with me. So many people feel only silence or great volume will gain my attentions. I really am a man would likes to listen."

A nod as she moved toward the small table.

"That will be fine, if you wish. I have thought to bring in a second desk for you. And if you will be more than an hour, I insist that you allow me to provide lunch. Fresh greens and bread and cheese are what I thought I would like today. Would that be alright?"

For a moment, just the smallest moment, Altias felt a portion of calm. For a moment, it was like any other day, before The Order, and The Bloody Flux, and the rampage of the Baie. For a moment, Altias Bromn was just another man, thinking about enjoying a good meal.

Altias_Bromn

Postby Wendy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:05 am

The Fick girl arranged her belongings on top of the console table and then made use of its chair. There were many things to say to a small number of officials. It would take a few minutes just to go over her notes and come up with ideas. She would be there for the better part of the afternoon, because she was a careful writer who paid attention to specific things - wording, intonation, penmanship.

Glancing back to the man whose generosity showed to be tremendous, she smiled, "Lunch would be divine. Thank you, Governor... and I'll do my best to discuss with you these things, as you wish." Pemberton feared that she was no advisor, but she could prove to be a sounding wall for the governor's ideas.

The young lady looked back to her work and read over her list of tasks. Lord Hawkesbury's letter remained nearby, face up and ready for reply. Anyone looking upon the girl would see that she seemed to be fully in charge of the situation, while reaching for another clean page.
Wendy

Postby Wendy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:37 pm

Pemberton worked for the better part of the morning. She used a checklist that she made while listening to the governor speak his mind. First, there was a response needed for the Lord of Hawkesbury's invitation to dine.

She was careful to blot the ink from her pen tip, and wrote at a perfect slant for her slender hand. It fashioned the following words:

"To the most excellent and wellbeloved lord Aldwin Meriwether Gilby, 3rd Baron Hawkesbury, 1st Baron Amesbury, Minister of Myrken Wood; Altias Bromn of Xanth Grange, Governor of Myrken Wood -- Salutations."

The content of the Lord's letter was considered before the Fick girl continued to write.

"Received is your letter regarding the Governorship of Myrken Wood. It is pleasing to know that your loyalties remain with us.

It is meet and right that you should act as liasion between His Majesty and His people - Congratulations! Know that you have support from my Office as well as my family, if ever you should need."

As it happened, with any moment that required concentration, Pemberton's tongue tip crowned the edge of her lip as she worked.

"I thank you for your letter and your well wishes. I am, currently, trying to catch up on all the work left behind by the previous administration.

As the work in your home is finished and you have established residency at Amesbury, I would enjoy the opportunity to meet with you at your earliest convenience. I believe a nice dinner would be enjoyable and informative for us both. I will respect your decision as to whose home is best for us to spend our time in.

I am available during the daylight hours for two coming weeks. Please send word of your availability by way of my messenger."

Leaning back, the young woman read over the acceptance letter. Her pen rolled between thumb and forefinger as she wondered which polite closing to use. It should sound as though it came directly from the governor, and not be too full of exaggeration. The greeting had been seductive enough. Sitting up, she hovered over the table, framed the letter by a leaning arm, and wet the tip of her pen with dark ink.

"Fare thee well always. VI Calends. June, A.R. CCVII"

There. One letter fashioned. The girl carefully placed the governor's response toward a far table corner. Her shoulders loosened - writing assignment completed.

She read over her notes.

"Visit the Constable." Written next on the list.

Remember to "Mention the Brotherhood to the governor at some other time, when he will be able to locate the letter which the Gods damn."

"Announce two meetings:

Remaining Council Members, also inviting High Constable Calomel, Leaders of the Brotherhood, Grand Knight of new Order, and Militia Officers.

Any others who might attend?

Public Council Meeting slated after conclusion of Official Business meeting.

A letter for Giscard of Lothbury."

The letter to the Lothbury estate looked like it would be the easiest to spell out, being that the Lord Guillaume was known to be in a state of prolonged unconsciousness. Pemberton realized that she could write a simple letter to investigate the situation and also remind the man's estate planner of the governor's interest in his former council partner. She readied a new page and resumed a writer's posture of a curved back and hunched shoulders.

Stained fingers held the pen as an artist would his brush:

"For the most perspicacious and divinely favoured Giscard Guillaume 2nd Lord Lothbury.

Wishing health and lawful service returned to you henceforth. My only comfort is that you are not alone in your struggle. Onst the occasion of your awakening, I pray that you will send word. Until such time, as you will soon learn, I am daily beseeching your staff of doctors for news of your wellness.

Evermore desiring to hear of your welfare,"

There was plenty of room for the governor to, informally, sign his name. The Fick girl smiled at her work. It would be understood just how much Altias Bromn cared for the well-being of Lord Guillaume. Next were the letters to the councilors, and everybody else Bromn was inviting to their first official meeting since his claim of the governor's seat.
Wendy

Postby Altias_Bromn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:41 am

The Fick girl has proven herself invaluable. Altias had a wonderful flowing script at his disposal but simply was not well versed in formal letters. Her attentions to these matters left him more time to read over complaints, claims and warrants.

Lunch had been served promptly at noon, an offering of fresh bread, some cheese and cherries. Eli came and went with a fresh glass of water for her once every hour. Often bringing the governor the same.

Unruly locks of crimon and midnight were drawn back from the governor's face and secured with a bit of leather. His already weary face lined with conern and irritation in equal measures.

Around 6 in the evening, he would lay down the latest of the letters and clear his throat.

"Miss Fick. It is approaching dinner time. Perhaps we should call it a day? Is there anything else we should discuss?"

Altias_Bromn

Next

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse