Ashes to Ashes

Ashes to Ashes

Postby SinVraal » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:50 am

(A letter written by an elegant, flowing hand in script that threatens to wax archaic on several occasions, is born along by a member of the Violet Dawn to the office of the High Constable and Governor)

Governor Calomel,

Let me be amongst those to applaud your firm grasp for power in order to ensure the wellbeing and prosperity of the people in this land so often threatened with darkness and death. It says much of your character, much that is noble, much of your soul.

And it is concerning the souls of this land that I write to you.

They have all suffered greatly beneath the Ashfiend's shadow. My understanding is that Patience Mayfield, squire to Sir Deucalios of the knighthood, has promised to placate the Ashfiend by meeting with him in the course of three weeks or so. It has also come to my attention that he recently took a sword from the abandoned mines at Foggy Bottom.

I ask you this in all forwardness because it may quite possibly lead to the Ashfiend's ultimate destruction: was there anything else he took from the cavern? My understanding is that whatever he took would have lain there for some time, perhaps a decade or so by my reckoning, long enough to leave some sort of imprint. Most probably that of a small urn.

In case you are wondering, I had not come forward as I was, and still am to be honest, unsure if I may trust you. I have developed something of an unsavory reputation amongst some and I don't know if such lies have reached your ears or not. Nor was I aware that the instrument of the Ashfiend's destruction might even be in this land. It is quite a fortuitous discovery.

I greatly appreciate your consideration of my question, especially concerning all else that must plague you these days. I ask only that you remember Squire Mayfield's life will undoubtedly be forfeit to the Ashfiend if you prefer to keep such information from me, and it would be a tragic thing indeed for such a young and courageous, compassionate life to be snuffed out so early.

Sincerely,

Vraal
If you are near to the dark
I will tell you about the sun
You are here, no escape
From my visions of the world
You will cry, all alone
But it does not mean a thing to me...
SinVraal

Postby Cinnabar » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:31 am

To Sin'Vraal, of the Violet Dawn

Sir,

First, my thanks for your support. I can only hope that I will be able to have a positive effect on the lives of Myrken's citizens during my time in office.

I will admit that I have heard a variety of things about you, sir, some more plausible than others; your generous acts of philanthropy in caring for Myrkentown's poor, dispossessed and destitute have certainly won you no small renown, and a certain amount of attention besides.

As for your queries regarding the ghoul Ashfiend's activities at Foggy Bottom, unfortunately I am unable to categorically confirm the exact details of what might have been taken from that cavern, since I regret to say that what tracks or evidence might have been found there were disturbed by the entrance of the initial investigators. We are aware that a blade was taken from the cave at some point in the recent past, and have reason to believe that it was the same blade that was used in the barbaric and murderous attack on my own holdings a week ago. Beyond that, alas, I cannot say.

However, I would certainly be interested to hear any information you might have regarding the creature, particularly with regard to means by which he might be destroyed; he has been a blight upon Myrken Wood for too long, and too many lives have been lost in the meantime. As such, I invite you to advise me of everything you know regarding Teron Ashfiend, including your suspicions as to what he might have removed from the cave at Foggy Bottom, and how it might be of use in ending him.

I would like to stress the importance of your heeding this request with all haste, or there may be more lives placed at risk than Squire Mayfield's alone. As you are no doubt aware I have many concerns to attend to, and have neither the time nor the desire to mince words on a matter as pressing as this one.

I look forward to your swift reply.

Sincerely

Cinnabar Calomel
Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
Cinnabar

Postby SinVraal » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:42 pm

Governor Calomel,

I am somewhat at ease in seeing your concern for people in your own words. I have heard many great things concerning you and your desire to safeguard the populace but it is another thing to encounter some of that drive myself. Please also accept my deepest condolences for the assault upon the Kaczmarek farm. I understand that you had recently purchased the estate and are now their master. It must be quite difficult to reconcile your personal feelings to see justice done upon the Ashfiend for this personal attack with your offices as both Governor and High Constable. I am sure you have the wisdom to not let the one interfere with the other.

To inform you of everything I know concerning the Ashfiend would require a fortune in parchment that I quite simply do not have. As such I will pass along what I deem to be most relevant and helpful for both you and our people of Myrken Wood.

If he has indeed taken a sword from the mine I suspect it to be the weapon called "Deliverance" in all languages that have ever spoken of it. It would be a long sword, made for wielding in two hands yet the Ashfiend is capable of wielding it in but one given his great strength. Furthermore it will be stained black with blood and unadorned save for a small diamond set in the hilt's center. It was once a holy weapon, forged for the slaying of demons and devils, that has been corrupted by his murderous rampage that spans centuries.

The Ashfiend's former home, both as a mortal and as undead lord known currently as Xar-Dhuum, was bereft of two items following his defeat and seeming destruction in a battle against hated enemies. One was the sword Deliverance. The other was a small silver urn. Given that the two were unaccounted for when people finally gathered enough courage to search his home and the abandoned fortress of Caer Gardraark, and both are inestimably precious to the Ashfiend, I suspected that the two were hidden together, somewhere, by one of his remaining servants.

The contents of the urn are his greatest weakness. I am, for better or worse, quite familiar with sorcery. With the urn, and more specifically its contents in my hand, I am confident that I can put a stop to the threat he poses to Myrken Wood.

I suspect that between Glenn Burnie and Khalika Quiller you have already learned much of the Ashfiend's past and his nature, however disjointed their understanding might be. I will go no further on that particular topic as I deem it to be irrelevant.

And one final question before I forget - when was the last time you wept?

Sincerely,
Vraal
You are here, no escape
You will cry, all alone
SinVraal

Postby Cinnabar » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:29 pm

To Sin'Vraal, of the Violet Dawn

Sir,

Your description of Deliverance matches the appearance of the blade that I have seen in the Ashfiend's possession. Regarding the urn, I shall see what can be managed. What is it, precisely, that you believe the urn to contain?

As to your last question, I find it to be both irrelevant and inappropriate to the discussion at hand.

Sincerely

Cinnabar Calomel
Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
Cinnabar

Postby SinVraal » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:34 pm

Governor Calomel,

Why ashes of course. What else does one find in an urn? The ashes are precious to him and mystically bound to his fate. I also believe the urn to be protected by magical seals that prevent anyone from opening it.

As to the latter perhaps, one day, we shall see. It takes a pure heart to combat such evil, Governor. Only a pure heart would weep for one's enemies.

Vraal.
You are here, no escape
You will cry, all alone
SinVraal

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse