Conversation long overdue.

Postby Glenn » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Would it be a disappointment that at the very moment the former Governor finally looked up to meet the current Governor's gaze, he would find the slightly younger man's eyes to be shut. Listening, savoring even. As Calomel finished his words, Glenn Burnie would be at the very end of one deep, long exhale. "Sometimes, Cinnabar, sometimes," he began, opening his eyes with a little grin. "I feel like I am talking to myself around here. You've become a fine human being. Never let anyone say otherwise." The tone wasn't patronizing, not even a little, leaving the silver-haired man, once again, to ponder the meaning.

"What to do with you, though?" Now that Cinnabar had made his choice, this really was the big question. He COULD undo everything, and not even intentionally. "You remember when Bromn wanted a role right when you began, no? While he was a flighty populist fop and you are not, the sad fact of the matter is that having you too close will cause...difficulty in and of itself. Too much, too close, too soon." Good posture collapsed all at once as Burnie slumped back dramatically. "Also, and I do hope you forgive me for this, I'm going to give you plenty of chance to change your mind. That is, no titles, no being Head Constable, no spot on the Defense Committee. No Adviser's office. Nothing official, not yet. No official responsibility." Burnie held the cards here. All Cinnabar had was a right of refusal and the potential option for escalation, but that was hardly the friendly way to make amends, was it?

"So, you will sleep on it and if you're still sure, come back tomorrow at about this time and I will tell you the long story about how the Gaol was destroyed and how you may yet save an innocent soul, and in doing so, all of us." And that was it. He had pondered. He had decided. Every single day, Glenn Burnie fought a war against the unknown, against the unknowable. If Cinnabar Calomel was willing, it was time to open up a brand new front.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Cinnabar » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:29 pm

"Difficulty?" Curious, but not entirely surprised. He could hazard some guesses at the complications his return might pose for a new Governor, still establishing his authority, but perhaps things were more complex than that. Mention made of insidious threats in his speech, enemies more subtle and perhaps more dangerous as a result.

Still. No official responsibility. He can't help but grin at that, pleased and also... what? Something else. Eager, perhaps. An opportunity offered, a chance to contribute to Myrken's safety once more. A challenge to get his teeth into.

"Glenn, a title's the last thing I want. And I've had enough official anything to last me a long lifetime." He leant over to retrieve the dispatch box from the floor, setting it firmly on the Governor's desk. "It was a part I played for a while, and only because someone had to. It's yours now, and you are more than welcome to it." He pushed the box away from himself and his hands as if to illustrate the point. In the next moment he was rising to his feet as if finishing this meeting would somehow hasten the next. Sleep or no, it was clear what his answer would be.

"You were right about that, you know - I prefer being able to see what I'm dealing with. The Ashfiend was a horror, but at least you could hit him." Up to a point, at least; Burnie had been relentless in untangling the ghoul's past, in picking apart his history to the point where he could be finally defeated. Coat pulled on with something approaching haste, hat halfway to his head before another thought struck him, too amusing not to share.

"You know why I liked being a Constable?" A wider grin accompanied his words, and that extra element from before was clearer now: something keenly predatory.

"I hate mysteries."
Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
Cinnabar

Postby Glenn » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:52 pm

Burnie had the good grace not to mention the specific difficulties. Some of the former governor's suspicions were spot on. Calomel coming back just as Glenn was taking power could raise unpleasant questions and doubts, certainly. People might look to a more familiar source of power for hope and inspiration. Of course, Cinnabar was right to have other suspicions as well. A slower feeling out process was probably best for both of them, especially as power was more thoroughly consolidated.

No title. No official mandate to use to get in Glenn's way, either. As shadowy operatives went, Cinnabar wasn't exactly the most obvious choice, but there were a few nagging tasks despite the very best effort of the Myrken government, still needed doing. And no, that didn't mean he was going to send the silver-haired man directly against Jirai, as tempting as it was. It would be rather disingenuous relative to their current conversation about happy endings.

And as he would grin to Glenn, coat on, haste in his movements, the governor would just shake his head. "You're in luck then. I've spent the last two and a half years working through this mystery. At this point, further information would very likely just confirm what we've come to assume. What's needed now isn't investigation but action." Of course there was the question of what precisely what that action was to be, of what level of mercy could go along with it, and of what damage it might do to all of Myrken... and, it seemed like, with amends and good intentions at heart, Cinnabar Calomel may have just volunteered himself to be a large part of both deciding and executing such answers.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Cinnabar » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Delivery made, meeting agreed, and that was enough to have Cinnabar moving for the door. "I'll see you tomorrow, Glenn. Governor." Remembering himself in time to make that correction, to observe the proper protocol. And a memory of earlier times - not carefree, because this is Myrken after all, but perhaps simpler. He paused, surprised by how long ago that seems. Times change. People too. Still uncertain, unsettled by that relentless calm, but... hm, perhaps.

"How's your swordwork these days?" Uncharacteristically hesitant, but pressing on regardless. It might be presuming too much after too long, but it remains a possibility worth mentioning. "I can dig out the practice blades, If you ever need a sparring partner."
Cinnabar

Postby Glenn » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:45 am

Oh, if this had been three months ago. If this had been six months ago... the things Cinnabar would have seen. But, strangely enough and slightly enough, just enough, these few months had been a time of healing. Glenn was broken, utterly and completely, but that did not mean he was not efficient. A shattered sword could still be jagged and if wielded with the right skill, the right purpose, the right desire, could cut just as sharply and twice as deadly. Before him, Governors had been broken in intent. In that, Burnie was pure as could be.

"For a year, I trained to match the speed, guile, and magic of a drow, Cinnabar." Burnie was still seated, had not moved from his position of poor posture, somewhat like a tree with branches grown just a bit askew, wrong to the eye but in a manner impossible to explain. "I succeeded. Now? Now I prepare for a far more dangerous eventuality. We can spar, but you'll have to promise not to hold back. I'd hate to hurt you." Deadpan, serious. He meant it, knowing exactly what he knew about the man before him. "Thank you for coming, Cinnabar. I'll see you tomorrow, though again, there is no shame if you decide not to come." A frustrating farewell for the former governor, perhaps.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Cinnabar » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:22 am

Drow. A year. That... was a story he'd have to pursue later. It might go some way towards explaining the mapmaker-turned-Governor's shift in character, though. The distance. That unsettling disconnect. Mysteries.

"As long as you give me a chance to warm up. It's been a while." Too long, absolutely too long. His posture adjusted as he turned for the door, straighter, more assertive, most likely for the benefit of those researchers he'd have to walk past. One last glance for the Governor before he goes.

"Thank you for seeing me, Glenn. I'll be back tomorrow."
Cinnabar

Previous

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse