Emeritus

Re: Emeritus

Postby channe » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:34 am

The honest expression is returned -- somewhat; since Myrken Wood, the normally-jovial Coriolanus Helstone has kept much of his emotion behind a politician's mask. If he'd learned this lesson in Collingford, perhaps he'd still be on the opposite end of this desk.

"I believe that any toxin or disease peculiar to the drow may, in fact, be passed to ordinary folk as well, so if this is your plan, you must be careful." A pause. "Hm. What is there to learn? Trust very few, except those that have the pointy objects. I also should have eliminated that fop Bromn as a rival, discredited him somehow -- but I was not willing to play a game that filthy."

He pauses, and narrows his eyes at Burnie. "Are you, Governor?"
channe

Postby Glenn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:05 am

Burnie laughed. It was a quick, sharp thing, one that seemed to have been constantly bubbling up inside of the young governor, that burst out at the first chance and then faded just as quickly as it came. "Oh, Lord Aubrey, there's nothing filthy about telling the truth. You could never smear the good name of Atlias Bromn more than he managed all on his own. He was an amnesiac, cult possessed, promiscuous fop, chained down by the sort of younger child issues that both of us have turned into a strength." A dismissive wave of his hand. "Your oversight was Karolinger. You dismissed him as a boorish, uncouth, Thesshole soldier, a discredit to his noble blood. Unfortunately that's just the sort of person who captures the emotion of the Myrkenites."

Then a slight shrug of his left shoulder. "Shame about the drow solution, or lack there of. I'm sure I'll come up with something better. There are different sort of viruses. Jirai makes for an interesting test subject, really."

And really, that was just an aside. Back to the main point. "I will do anything I must for the sake of my people, Lord Aubrey. The end is what matters. As for the means? What is most important is that they do not somehow sully that end. It is never about the ends justifying the means. The ends always justify the means. No, it's about the ends not being somehow twisted and changed by them."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby channe » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:35 am

"Ah, of course," says Helstone, looking at Glenn with brightened eyes. "He was all those things, for sure, but Myrken Wood in her infinite strangeness still preferred that disease-ridden man-whore over someone who had been under the influence of the drow for two weeks." He's not budging, Glenn. Helstone has a very large blind spot when it comes to this sort of thing.

He lets the uncomfortable topic drop and listens. "You sound like someone desperate to explain himself, Burnie."
channe

Postby Glenn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:47 am

"Ah." perfectly pleasant. Helstone wasn't moving. Glenn, on the other hand, did not have to. Almost matter-of-factly, he responded. "Would you like to know a good trick for that? Make sure people hear you loudly and often declare that you want to come up with a way to poison all the drow."

Then another small bite of that laughter, and the smile to match it. "So rarely do I have anyone to explain myself to, Lord Aubrey, and someone that might even begin to understand. You must admit, this would be a most rare pleasure for myself indeed." Then, with the slightest of pauses. "Do you never wish for such a thing?"
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby channe » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:02 am

And, with that, a smile crosses Helstone's face. "The popularity solution," he says. "Mass murder. How very Myrken of you."

He pauses to pick up the pot and refill his tea, stirring in a sugar cube with a quick hand. "I have such a person," he says, quietly. "I've asked her to marry me a dozen times, but ah -- she cares not for titles, much like you. I think she ought to have stayed in Myrken, sometimes. But she *understands*, see, and sometimes that is more important than gold." A pause. "... and I understand, sir. But I can hardly be in Myrken Wood for more than a week without causing... trouble." A thin smile. "But you can always write."
channe

Previous

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse