Emeritus

Emeritus

Postby Glenn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Little cucumber sandwiches.

The thing a governor does for the good of his people.

Oh, Glenn Burnie had limits but he was flexible as well, when he needed to be.

When he needed and when there was something rather specific that he wanted, information most of all.

Today though, he was looking for other things, was looking forward to this, cantankerous and unpleasant as it may be.

And for his anticipation, the sandwiches were worth it. The airs and raised noses and dour looks would be worth it. Cleaning off his desk, a rare and monumental feat, that would be worth it too. Today, Coriolanus Helstone, the brilliant failure of a former governor, who had found success more to his liking after escaping... today he had been given an invitation, an invitation that had accepted.

And today he was coming to visit his successor, thrice removed.

And what an interesting visit it would be.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Re: Emeritus

Postby channe » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:23 pm

They should not have come back to Myrken Wood. Not even for this little visit.

It echoes in his head at every turn. Blast this town for being halfway between here and his destination; blast his wife for being curious; blast himself for being curiouser. The only blessing, he thinks as his hired carriage pulls up to the Governor's offices, scattering urchins and fishwives around it, is the wonder that the mapmaker has become a Governor.

He always saw potential, there.

And he's curious, as well. Has Burnie yet lost his mind?

That's the thought in his mind as he presents himself at the door. He's not wearing anything particularly fancy; not for day-travel, no. But he does wear a surcoat of Aubrey maroon, with gold buttons at his sleeves and his throat, in a cut so well-made it obviously puts him heads and tails above the scattering townspeople. Very few of them give him any heed, but some -- oh, some recognize him, and scurry away quickly.
channe

Postby Glenn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:59 pm

The Meetinghouse. Burnie had moved to the Meetinghouse finally, and really, it was quite nice. It was under Helstone that the last one had been destroyed, of course, but there was little reason to hold it against him. Glenn blamed the Drow. He blamed Kerrak. Helstone had been the one to hold the pieces together until he himself had been torn apart by the effort.

On paper, he had done well for himself after that, but Burnie had doubts. The younger man and the older one had occasional correspondences over the years but never anything that truly set. He was not the former barrister's protege like Calomel had been. And truly, despite appearances, he had never been Cinnabar's either.

Upon Helstone's entrance, the current governor would rise. "Lord Aubrey." Such a strange tone to that greeting, to that TITLE. When was the last time Glenn had called ANYONE by such a thing. "Welcome. Please, have a seat." The nice cusiohned seat had been dragged out for Coriolanus as well, quite the honor. An easy smile, easy but polite enough, a tricky mix of formal and something else entirely. "I was gladdened by your acceptance of my invitation. Something to drink?" Then, a little nod for the sandwiches on their silver tray on the table. "Feel free."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby channe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:39 am

A lot of things had been destroyed during Helstone's reign. The meetinghouse; the tavern; his own mind. To this day, the house-servants at the Aubrey manor whisper about their lord's... eccentricities, for the lack of a better term. His peculiar diet. His peculiar tendency to take long walks. His peculiar wife.

But this afternoon, at least, he looks as if nothing has changed, as if none of those terrible events that preceded Haberdasher's Row had any affect on him; he's wearing the maroon-and-gold of his new land, a golden sigil ring with the sign of the Aubreyne, and a small pin at his collar with the arms of Trae Kelsa. And what other arms would he wear? Collingford had always been staunchly loyal to the royal family in Razasan and the governorship in Ricathair, and three years ago Burel did himself no favors when he'd ordered his men to take the secrets of the University there. Those who care about the politics of Trae Kelsa may have wondered what Chedwry was saying when he gave a minor fiefdom to a failed governor from the cursed land...

"Governor Burnie." There's a bit of warmth there, as he clasps his successor's hand and shakes it genially. He takes a seat where he is told; he sits with a straight back, like a gentleman should. "Yes, please; whatever you have on hand is quite all right." A pause. "I'm glad you made the invitation. Rosa and I are only in Myrken for another week or so, and I must admit we've kept to ourselves. Politics, you know." Also, drow. "... I've been very surprised and gratified by the progress I've seen here."

Oh, good. Sandwiches. He picks up one, eating daintily, making sure to get no dressing on his fingers or his very nice maroon surcoat.
channe

Postby Glenn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:12 pm

Burnie's posture was strange. Straight enough but still casual. Confident. This was his room and Helstone was his guest. The warmth in the man's voice was not entirely alien, not entirely unexpected. Their correspondences were both rare and overly formal, but that the former barrister had responded at all was a sign of patience, tolerance, and acceptance, all in its own way. Outright praise was a bit more surprising, but it was met with only a slight, mature smile. Burnie's features were youthful still. Not twenty-five, though slowly closing in on it perhaps. If there was further age to him, it was in the expression, the gaze, the tone of his voice, yet it was all light and easy as well. A lord in his own demense.

"To be truthful, this position was never my goal."Then just the slightest of laughs. "Oh, perhaps years ago, before I knew what it meant, when ambition was still allowed to be blind, unrestrained, and naive. It was not long after I came into Cinnabar's employ that I learned better. Ariane Emory's lessons, physical and otherwise, did not harm such notions. Having gone through turmoil and strife in learning to open her own eyes, she has become quite adept in opening the eyes of others." A dismissive hand. "But we straddle a line of sworn discretion now; let me continue."

Burnie would sip of his own drink, though just slightly. It had been over a year since he had been drunk on anything, perhaps over two if one did not count a brief excursion into delirium from ingesting Catch's blood. "As I said, neither my goal, nor my intent. Becoming Governor of Myrken Wood is not an end unto itself. It is a means, and for the longest time, it was a means that I meant to avoid. Unfortunately, the crown abhors certain hierarchical vacuums, and my hand was forced. You will, I think, be glad to know, however, that unencumbered family life well suits CInnabar Calomel. Some of us were meant to navigate bureaucratic labyrinths." And wasn't that a loaded phrase from the former mapmaker? "Cinnabar, while well vested in organization and logic, is, at his core, a man of action, don't you not agree?"
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby channe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:12 pm

Oh, the formality that trips his tongue; this is no mere boy from school, Helstone realizes. This is truly a Governor, with all that entails. And perhaps only a former Governor himself would know all that came along with that. Where was he now, that he speaks of ambition? Helstone thinks to himself. Does he still think he has power? Does he still think he can save them?

"The ways of the Crown are mysterious," Helstone says lightly, "and you may be quite sure that whatever you think they wanted, it wasn't that at all," he says. He reaches out and takes another sandwich; a good thing he'd forgotten lunch. "True. You sum his character rightly. However, I never thought of Myrken Wood as a game for bureaucrats, but for those men of action. Has he returned to the Constabulary in any capacity? Or does he yet just run the farm he bought?"
channe

Postby Glenn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:37 pm

So many assumptions run through the mind of Coriolanus Helstone. Does he see himself in the young Governor? Unlikely. Perhaps he is too modest? Unlikely as well. Perhaps it is an aristocrat's arrogance. Either way, Glenn Burnie's smile remains subtle and honest enough. This is a pleasant encounter between two colleagues, of a sort. Pleasant so far, at least.

"I gave the crown a few surprises, but also enough satisfaction that I am left alone to govern as I must." Simply put, though he would turn his gaze fully upon the older man now. "I imagine you've done much the same in Collingford." Open respect, though a neutral sort, as if it was a matter of fact that Helstone would be capable and canny in that regard. "As for Cinnabar, he engages in infrequent but meaningful independent investigations when a matter strikes his fancy, often with the assistance of my staff and the Constabulary. He pitches in, to use a colloquialism, and such help is welcome from a man such as he. I prefer that he does not overextend himself, however. He sacrificed much for Myrken and I would not see his family sacrifice him for our sake."

"If I may, Lord Aubrey," and this with something of a twinkle in Burnie's eye. "that you did not see Myrken in those terms, is in part why you lost the game. If you play by Myrken's rules, the house will always win, and civility is never the way of the house. Order must be imposed lest the chaos drag everything down into barbarism. I change the game to win the game, and if bureaucracy is the tool I use? Well, then at least I will not be accused of a lack of imagination." And was there not irony there.

Another sip of the tea. That same relaxed smile and only a slight shift of posture, to get a bit more comfortable. "Lord Aubrey, one other matter, for clarity's sake, and because we cannot go further without such clarification. I play what games I must for the sake of my people, yes, but I would also be honest with you if possible, even if it shall sour these so-far pleasant processions. No other man in the last two years have I called Lord. Know this, and know that I care nothing for your title. It could not mean less to me were it made out of steaming, festering refuse. I can imagine your great personal sacrifices to obtain it. I know of titles, however, their artificiality, their fickle nature, their ultimate lack of worth except for which people fabricate in their own minds and hearts to bestow upon them. As I said, order and structure are important things to me. Understanding how to use them and not be used by them is doubly important.

"So, I call you that title not to show regard to the Title, but to the man. To you. It is out of respect and admiration for your efforts and yourself, that I suffer to refer to you in a way that you deem important. If I belittle it, you have my reasons, but I will not belittle you as we sit across from one another." It was a strange way of offering respect, a backwards way, a Myrken way. "You laid the groundwork for much that I do. It s the lessons of your regime that carry me forward. Truly, how could it be anything else? What is he lesson of Bromn? Do not be a negligent fool who turns your head, gets frequently kidnapped and transformed, and when one can be bothered to sit in this chair, rule as if it was a backwater beauty contest? No, I take my lessons from you, Lord Aubrey, for otherwise I would be continuing to write in a far more emptier tome."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby channe » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:03 pm

And, funnily enough, throughout this entire screed, Coriolanus Helstone just smiles. Beatifically; handsomely; and, strangely enough, nicely. He allows Glenn Burnie to lay his opinions out on the table between the tea and the sandwiches, and when he's done with it all, he folds his hands and nods.

"I appreciate what you've said," he begins. "It takes a considerable amount of guts to say something like that to a man you don't know well."

A crocodile smile; another sip of the tea.

"I am the second son," he says, quietly. "My brother Crispian will be Lord Mayor of Collingford when my father dies. The king came to Collingford's assistance after the city was bombarded by Duke Burel's troops. Crispian is his man now, as you may imagine." A pause. "As for my own lands, the Aubreyne is a pat on the head, a consolation prize, if you will, brought on by my father's request after Collingford's victory, due to his own guilt. I did nothing to deserve the title. Nevertheless, there is an order to keep, Governor, which is why I identify so closely now with the words 'Lord Aubrey;' I cannot have my vassals running about calling me 'Coriolanus.' You may not like titles, Governor, but you have one of your own, and though it is given you by the people instead of the King, you are still bound to it and it has the same exact effect; it has as much meaning as 'Lord' and to push that meaning away is to push away power that could be yours. As Lord Aubrey I *am* the Aubreyne; as Governor you *are* Myrken Wood. The syllables change nothing."

He nibbles on the crust of one of the sandwiches, and swallows before he speaks again. "I would not be in power a place like Myrken again in a thousand years, Governor. And I'm glad I have been able to provide you with... a model, I suppose, of what not to do. I now see my mistakes. I would like to think that if I had the chance yet again, I could save more lives." He lifts the teacup to his mouth. "I would like to think, as well, that I would not be as... trusting."
channe

Postby Glenn » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:03 am

Brave words indeed, and in response, perhaps not the reaction that Burnie was expecting. He survived as he did by knowing everything about everyone, by knowing what someone's reaction would likely be before he made a move. He asked questions in a land known for minding one's own business and keeping one's secrets very close indeed. Here though, with this man, all that could be done was abject guesswork. He knew Helstone but only secondhand. He knew the man's actions, knew others' thoughts. Actual encounters between the two had been sparse.

Yes, young Burnie had expected more of a reaction, but then again, perhaps he had simply argued his own case.

"It is, after all, an issue of scale. To me, your actions here are most important, but then it is as you said, I AM Myrken. This is my life. To you and many others, this is just a provincial wasteland." Scale and scope, still, he smiled on. "It is, though MY provincial wasteland. And you needen't worry, unlike you, in your time here, I consider Myrken Wood my home. People seem to be confused by the notion, but my taking power was not at all an opportunistic move. It was a defensive entrenchment at best," and of course, a slow, dripping suicide at worst.

Then though, for the sake of fidelity or maybe just as a whim, he would add. "I was a younger son of a fine family as well. Second isn't so bad. I was Seventh. They SOLD me to the clergy." It was more complicated than that, of course, such strange clergy and such a high societally necessary honor for the family. Lots of complications and Glenn cared about them so little. Ah, the things that would shape a man.

Still, he smiles on. "You learn things, even at a young age, being reared by a bureaucratic organization, however. Take the matter of trust. I've seen the danger of relying on any one man here in Myrken. Calomel was the exception and an extreme one at that. We are going to change it, I swear to you that, Lord Aubrey, but as of now, Myrken still twists and changes people, so I spread power and responsibility; I spread my own reliance, and a few scant exceptions," a certain gypsy being one, "I overlook no one at all." Oh yes, he had learned well the lessons of Helstone's reign.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby channe » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Perhaps that's another reason why Helstone did not succeed: he was a lawyer, not a politician. The difference was fine but distinct: a lawyer of Helstone's caliber respected the limits of the law. A politician, however, whether noble or not, usually did not. Helstone's opinion of Glenn Burnie had been positive once upon a time, but he knows very well how power can corrupt and change a governor rather quickly, and behind those eyes will remain suspicion.

"You forget that I came here because the land had promise," Helstone said, sounding mildiy offended at Burnie's presumption. "Seven years ago, Myrken Wood was beginning that upturn that you find yourself in today, and, needing to get out of Collingford for once, I found it a rather attractive place to move and live. I estimated that I could live here for quite a while."

And he pauses here, as well, leaning in. "... And here's your second assumption, Governor. But as you very well know -- you do not make your home in a place where the military boots you out on the street. That would be simple stupidity. Or perhaps suicide. Myrken did not want me; I moved somewhere that did."

He leans back, then. Ah. Here, Burnie finally gets to the heart of the matter: why Helstone was summoned. He's too much of a gentleman -- and too interested in what the man is doing and saying, on a purely intellectual level -- to prod, though. "You should be careful," he says, quietly. "Even the smallest chink in the armor has the ability to tun into something fatal."
channe

Postby Glenn » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:32 am

Glenn Burnie had been a mapmaker. Occasionally, Ariane Emory had tried to extrapolate various traits of his personality outwards from that fact (ironic since she probably did not know the meaning of the word extrapolate), with varying levels of success. Did it allow his mind to metaphorically navigate the space between the needs and desires of various parties and thereby negotiate the most fortuitous compromise for the good of Myrken Wood? Likely not, but he certainly walked around as if he could do such things, regardless of the reason behind them. In fact, he probably had a different reason for each person who challenged him on it. Glenn Burnie did know his audience well.

"I rather think that initial upturn fell to ash with the Meetinghouse, with the dreams, with the Ashfiend, and before that, with your own fall." Framed that way, in the context they have crafted, those words would likely not further bolster Helstone's ego. "Were it not for your foresight in placing Cinnabar Calomel where you did, you might instead be visiting not just a dead province, but an undead one." The converted populace of Myrken Wood, forged and shaped by generations of hardship, rampaging through the entirety of the continent as a zombie army that felt no pain; that might have been Helstone's legacy if he had just made a slightly different decision. No wonder such power could change a man.

But then the former governor had taking umbrage with one point. "Would have you died for Myrken, even before you became Governor? It matters little. You chose to live for it, and that is quite often, far more difficult." Then, a particular notion sparked the slightest of smiles upon young Burnie's face. "Tell me, instead, did you ever see yourself as a Myrkenite. If Chewdry had stormed down on high and asked you what you were, with no repercussions or boons to be gained, would you have ever called yourself a Myrkenite?" Therein was the difference.

"Careful." Burnie played with that word upon his tongue. "Careful." He inhaled softly and looked to the eyes of the man across from him. "That's just it, isn't it? Every single man, woman, and child here in Myrken is a potential threat. Every one of our neighbors. The monsters underground. The Throne. Any ally can become an enemy, and here in Myrken, so often does. I live with that knowledge every day, with my every decision, with my every delegation. It's a coin though, that carefulness. And on the other side of the coin is paranoia." Here just the slightest of pauses, the slightest examination of Helstone. Need he say more? Would it be a mercy not to? Or would it just let things fester and burn?

No, best to continue, and he does, calmly, but not without some of that great regard he mentioned previously. "I have to prepare for every eventuality, but I can commit my resources to no single one. I prioritize, yes, but I think it's actually that balance which keeps me level. So long as I prepare for everything, so much as I can, with each scenario weighted carefully, I have done all we can. If the Drow, en masse, sweep us off the face of this land tomorrow in a wave of blood, spiders and sorcery, " a little wry scowl at that prospect, even despite himself, "then, all the preparation in the world could not have changed it. I cannot let such things drive me to distraction and irrationality, Lord Aubrey." He paused slightly, shaking his head twice. "I cannot."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby channe » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:08 am

Sometimes, walking around as if one could save the world -- as if you knew the answers to life and death, to right and wrong -- could be a good thing. Fortune favors the bold, after all, is an old saying of Helstone's family, and one which he is desperately familiar. At any rate, he listens to Burnie's explanations, nibbling on a sandwich in a rather gentlemanly fashion the entire time. When he finishes, he sets the half-eaten sandwich down on the plate he holds in his left hand.

"And that is one of the reasons I am sorry to see that Mr. Calomel has... withdrawn," Helstone says, quietly. "While I certainly understand his possible reasons for giving up the Governorship -- I think we both can see that the man is tactically gifted. I sincerely hope you will draw him out of his castle, because the man is too good a resource -- and a friend -- to go to waste." A pause.

And then Burnie asks him this thing -- this terrible, terrible thing. Helstone flirts with telling a lie, and then he shrugs a little. "No. I never saw myself as a Myrkenite. This place is like an evil stepmother; no matter how much you profess to be part of the family, and no matter how much you try, she will always push you out upon your majority." A pause, another bite of a sandwich, and a gimlet-bright glare at Burnie. "My family were King's men for longer than we were anything else. Collingford is a loyalist's town, as it must be; the knowledge in the University must not fall to evil hands. And I married an Amasynian, not a Myrkenite. That may have changed things, as well." As always, he feels a fleeting guilt for what happened with Giuli that he does not allow to reach his face. A pause. "That is not to say that I did not give Myrken Wood my best loyalties as Governor, or I wasn't..." He searches for the words. " -- quite angry with the Crown's lack of consideration of the province."

And then Burnie speaks of preparations, and when he is done, Helstone speaks again. It's quieter, in a lower tone. One that is almost -- sympathetic? Yes, that's the word. "But they will, Glenn," he says, quietly. "Eventually, they will. It is only a matter of time."
channe

Postby Glenn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:21 am

In Myrken, fortune favored no one. Not the bold. Not the meek. Not even the monsters. Fortune might not have existed in Myrken, save for as a false lure to lead those foolish enough to seek it to their doom. Glenn Burnie sought something else, and he was no fool in his searching. Nor did he hesitate, however. In Myrken, indecision could kill.

The question of Calomel was a difficult one. "How many of us get a happy ending, Lord Aubrey? And of those, how many truly earn it? Cinnabar has. While I will respect his desire to protect it, and the utility of his assistance, I will protect him best I can for his family's sake. Were our situations reversed, he would likely not even allow me as much involvement as I intend to allow him."

"I came here with no family. No ties. Old grudges, but little more. I hope you do not mind me saying, but it does make a difference. Anyone can administer Myrken, but I do think it takes a level of shared identity to fully understand it, to govern it completely. Clinical examination can only take one so far, then." Of course, it also meant that Burnie's fall may one day be all the more complete. Helstone had escaped, had made a good life for himself, a full recovery or close to it. Would Glenn be allowed such a thing? "This is my home. It will almost certainly be the place that I die. It makes a difference."

Die there. When? As Thessilane sweeps in? As the Drow forces swarm the surface? In the maw of the Baie? Ah, the look in the man's eye. Drow it is. "I have a singular understanding of the vermin, Lord Aubrey. They will not overrun us without a very good reason. I have a singular understand and also am, believe it or not, a singular deterrent." His smile went from self-aggrandizing to self-mollifying effortlessly. "To put it bluntly, why engage the rabid beast when you can far more easily avoid it instead?"
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby channe » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:44 pm

And at this point, Helstone finishes yet another cucumber sandwich and picks up his tea-cup, holding it in the Collingford fashion -- the first three fingers and the thumb encircling the handle. He regards the other man politely, although his voice now holds a slight edge.

"Maybe you're right. Then let's say that my identification as Amasynian -- as a son of Collingford and an inheritor of it's University, of blood that has served the royal house since time immemorial -- made me the worst candidate for governor since that execrable red-haired idiot," he says, quietly, his voice carrying a slightly dangerous tone. "Is that why I'm here? So you can figure out where I failed, drow-wise? So you can pick apart my failings? I will tell you, sir: I was down there with Rosa for weeks." A pause; he is quite composed, now. Has he even a clue what Glenn has gone through?

The tea-set is put down, and his hands fold on his crossed pants-leg in front of him. "I'd just as soon exterminate them all."
channe

Postby Glenn » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:56 am

What a smile on the face of the young Governor, a quiet thing, but showing teeth, somehow bright and reserved and resigned all at once. It was the very height of honest expression that he could currently manage, and few had seen such a thing in a good long while. It was sad and true and not tired in the least, and it was all for Lord Aubrey. With just the tiniest hint of whimsy, he nodded. "It must have been nice to have the company." Was he joking? Was he trying to insult Helstone? Belittle what he went through? Was that past Glenn Burnie? Perhaps, perhaps not, but the look in his eyes was deadly serious.

The tone became no less serious as he continued. "Were you here to be picked apart, Lord Aubrey, I would not have given you that speech on respect. Do I wish to learn all I can from you? Of course. That is the difference in my reign. I learn from everyone and everything. It's a cliche, but here in Myrken, a fair one. We do not learn. We repeat our mistakes, a painful circle of death and rebirth, of the same monsters time and again. Knowledge is the panacea."

Then, almost as an aside. "Speaking of panaceas, you do have a university at your disposal. If you could come up with some sort of fabricated disease to wipe out the drow, it would be highly appreciated." Ah, Glenn Burnie, so casually speaking of genocide, really, with a little twinkle in his eye too. "I have a technique to deal with them but it's erratic and costly. I am working on how to spread it from one drow to the next though."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Next

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse