Does Reading Pollute Young Minds?

Re: Does Reading Pollute Young Minds?

Postby Glenn » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:16 am

The walls shook. Slime dripped. And the scent. Lovely. As Niall's chanting ended, Burnie would look about. "While vaguely satisfying, that was less useful than I hoped." He was perfectly calm once again and for just a moment looked to her with honest regard. "My apologies if you came in here looking for answers. Anything we received from THAT would be tainted, far more so than I first realized, though I now know a great deal about it and its ilk. I'll have to process what I've learned but ultimately.. disappointing."

The floor was a mess and Burnie's shoes were quiet nice. He had very little desire to walk to the door and potentially ruin them. "What I learned, first and foremost, is that instead of dealing with something new, something unique and obtuse, we're up against the same thing we've been up against before. The same thing we're always up against. Run of the mill demons with fancier names and slightly more arcane natures. I'm hoping you'll be willing to enhance our weapons once again." Some hesitation as he looked to the door and then back to the book. With a shrug, he reached over and picked it up, and with a thud, dropped it upon the squicky floor in front of him.

"Mainly, we'll be trying to amass as much holy water as possible. That sort of thing. There WAS a Paladin lurking about, but he hardly proved useful in ridding us of our resident demoness. I can't imagine he'll be much help here." With only a mild amount of timidity, Burnie placed a foot upon the book. He pushed it backwards and forwards with said food, testing the viscosity of the slime upon the floor. With the sort of agility one developed from training with Ariane and Jirai, he took a breath and kicked off from the protected area of floor, lifting his back foot up so that he might slide across it using the book as a vehicle of sorts.

Upon reaching the door, he opened it and stepped out, shoes completely untainted. Only then would he reach down, snatch up the book and with a quite mighty heave, toss it back towards the middle of the room. His clothes were utterly untouched, though he was a bit more unkempt than usual after the sweating and punching and screaming. "If you could put some sort of temporary ward on the room that'd be lovely. I'll have a runner sent for Aleksei to finish the job, though I do imagine our literary friend over there will be busy for quite a while."

He would open the next door, looking out to Renea and Agnie with a wane smile. "Hello, Princess, Renea. I suggest not going in there. I think we'll be able to contain the smell to the one room. Since no one will want to go in there, I might turn it into a torture chamber. That's what the Myrken Wood Meetinghouse always needed." A joke, right? Then, with a snapping stretch of his neck. "So. Who wants to deliver a message to Burel personally?"
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby channe » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:30 am

"A spar," she says, and suddenly grins. "Why not? I haven't had a good spar in days. Great idea."

And just as she's moving to clear an area, there's a slight rumbling; she places her hand on the meetinghouse wall and takes in a sharp breath. The sword is drawn, and that's how Agnieszka will greet Burnie and Niall as they exit the building. "Burel. Talk about a torture chamber."

She grins, then. It's not with glee. "I think it depends on which kind o' message you want to send. An' before you go, prove to me that you're still yourself." Agnie and Renea -- two very different messages from Myrken Wood. Their mere presence would say very different things to the Duke before they even opened their mouths.
channe

Postby Caile » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:51 am

She wrinkled her nose at the smell wafting from the building, even to a woman used to the carnage of a battlefield and the odors of a siege it was hard to stomach. "And here I thought the torture room was your office Glenn, I've been told your little speeches wither the most reluctant of souls." A mild smirk, bad humor to distract from the rather distinct aroma. The apple was tossed over her shoulder mostly eaten, her stomach rebelled at the thought of eating any further.

"What she said." She jerked a thumb towards the chairwoman, the marshall herself still lounging rather idley against the wall. "If you want it kept quiet I can arrange for a family visit, Rhys has yet to meet his cousin after all." And Rielle was there to boot so it wouldn't seem out of the ordinary for Renea to make a proper visit to Thessilane. On the other hand if Burnie wan't to declare war then Agnieszka would be the perfect person to send. When Agnie challenged the man to prove himself she straightened, pushed herself from the wall and went to stand next to her colleague, arms loosely by her side ready to take action if needed, though judging from the inside of that room it was likely to be unnecessary.
Caile

Postby Jirai » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:56 am

"Don't know why you expected to get anything untainted out of a book like that." She retorted, arms folding loosely across her chest, regaining her own personal space. "And if I'm doing weapons and wards, I better get paid. I want a horse, you know." A fast horse. Yes. Horses were expensive, and Kyra had forbidden the scarred girl from simply replicating money.

Unlike Glenn Burnie, the teenager had no problem tromping through the ick to get to the door. She could clean it off, and it's by no means the most disgusting thing she's ever walked through. She'd stop briefly at the first door, closing it after Glenn tossed the book back inside. Since he planned on having stupid Aleksei (and really, weren't the two quite the pair? Both asses.) come and put up his own wards, her own work on the door would be very temporary in nature, but therefore quick enough to put in place.
Jirai
Op

Postby Glenn » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:38 am

Naill had reasonable concerns, so she received a reply first. "There's a difference between untainted and useful, and it was offering me everything under the sun except for what I thought was useful." Of course, it ended up addition by subtraction. Now he was able to focus on the problem for what it was instead of what it might have been. He knew she was in there for other reasons. "You showed admirable restraint. Weapons and wards and in return a horse and one of these two will help you learn to ride it."

A glance there to Agnie and Renea, and really, wasn't THAT bit of rude autocracy reason enough to believe he was Glenn Burnie? No? A grin to Renea. "I suppose you could handle my speech fine, then." and what did that mean? A laugh for Agnie. "I know you could." Serious business, now, however, and he raised a hand. "Alright, proof that I am me, and not anyone else. How about this." He took that hand and put two fingers upon his cheek. "This is where you struck me in the dream, Agony, and I haven't washed it since, because I know you'll strike me again there someday and I hope you catch some sort of unclean flesh withering disease when you do. Would a six-titted demon whore know that?"

He let that hang in the air, all of it, before smiling once more. "It's like you people thought I went in there without a plan. Who do you think I am? Staunch Aleksei? Either of you?" He almost seemed offended. Still, there was little time for that. "Anyway, if that's that, we need to figure this out. Getting the message to Burel is less important than getting it to Lamai at this juncture. I am going to send Rhaena to Thessilane. I think Lamai will agree to see her. This once, the fact that we're not married is useful. If Kostroma gives me grief, I can spin it." He was thinking out loud, or just monologuing again, perhaps. "Of course, the most important thing is her ability to detect mental manipulation or demonic possession to some degree."

He looked between Renea and Agnie with a raised eyebrow. After what Aleksei said about her, how could he trust Renea to protect his betrothed. "Maybe I should just send Niall on a diplomatic mission. She's more personable than either of you, even if her face is stuck that way." A dismissive wave of his hand. "No, i'm not yet that desperate. Agnie, you'll accompany Rhaena, if you don't mind. You can bluster your way around their guards after your time in the Brotherhood, and really, Renea, family connections aside, you rather bolloxed up your last trip there, even when Giuseppe apparently did all he could to help by poisoning you to ensure good behavior." Really, what more babysitting could she expect? "You can help Niall pick a horse. I'll just send a runner to Burel. Best not make that look too official."

A nod to settle it and he was already starting to walk away.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby channe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:37 pm

"What is that smell?" She reaches up and pinches her nose. And then she listens to Glenn for a while, her face growing more and more annoyed. Obviously the man was unharmed.

"Oh boy. A trip to Thessilane." She's doing her best to act like this is exactly what she wants to do with her life, and failing miserably. "I'll take care of it. See Lamai, protect Rhaena, and spy the shit out of the place. Sounds brilliant."

After that, she pauses, pressing her lips together in thought. "... Kostroma won't give you grief. He'll probably want to know what we learn, though."
channe

Postby Caile » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:38 pm

She couldn't exactly place a finger on why but Burnie's comments managed to sting her pride just a little. It wasn't the insults, that she was well accustomed to and they didn't phase her in the slightest and it wasn't as if he hadn't been telling the truth, she had rather botched her last visit but that had more to do with the fact that there wasn't anything she could have done there in the first place and that she was more than half crazed when she arrived. If she thought about it for awhile, which she would do at a later time, she would realize that what stung her pride most was that she hadn't yet been forgiven for her past transgressions despite having proved (she thought) that she had moved past those sorts of reactions. She thought she had proven herself trustworthy in the time since her blunder with the book and subsequent race to Thessilane and it hurt her that others didn't see it quite the same way.

And so when it was suggested that she stay and teach the young Niall how to ride a horse she shrugged and nodded, doing her best to look friendly and easy-going about the whole thing, which she managed well enough. The comment about her enduring the torture of a Burnie speech made no sense to her and so she just ignored it, turning instead Niall with a friendly enough smile. "So, a horse is it? Let's see if we can get you one to put a dent in Glenn's pocket book shall we?"
Caile

Postby Jirai » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:37 am

A horse for weapons and wards. It will do for now, though she may negotiate further at a later point in time. And of -course,- Renea, Niall shall find the fastest, most -expensive- horse out there. Niall is very good at spending Glenn Burnie's money, after all. The talk about Thessilane is ignored, along with Glenn Burnie's quip about the scarred girl. She is truly acting with impressive restraint today, and simply nodded to Renea. Renea, at least, was someone the teenager could deal with. Not as much of an ass as, say, Agnieszka (who is mostly ignored right now).

"Gather the weapons you want me to work on." And if there was nothing else, the girl would walk off unceremoniously.
Jirai
Op

Previous

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse