A Matter of Considerable Urgency.

Re: A Matter of Considerable Urgency.

Postby Glenn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:21 pm

"A snag. That was the indication, if not from him than from one of those other voices that lurk in his head, or in his memory or... well, you know." Metaphor. Complicated. Did Cinnabar know the truth of that? "He did not say who gave it to him. I had a sense of newness to it but that could have just been the new start he had in Myrken."

Worse when he arrived. "He was worse and he was better. More peaceful, maybe. He had his little tasks and he enjoyed them. There was less weight to him here, for him. Less to drag him down. Everything was new, a fresh start. We all bring our baggage here to Myrken, Cinnabar, but you can appreciate a new start better than most. He met friends, had people care for him, had his pets. It was only due to accidents and others recognizing what he was, or at least how much he was, that things began to unravel. If he ended up some place that was not here, perhaps he could have lived for years in happiness."

But now they've reached the crux of it and Burnie, for once, seemed a bit tired of it all. "So there we have it. Not killed. Not contained. Not controlled. Not fear. Not manipulation. Dangerous enough to destroy us all. Innocent enough to just want to belong. With outside forces pulling at him at every point. What options are left, Cinnabar? Do we drive him away? Do we try to remove those other voices in his head. Do we try to mend him. I sent Lamai at her best at him to achieve just that and within weeks, he reached a critical point at the Ball." A long, long breath. "I would see him whole, Cinnabar, healthy again, grown, an adult who could walk among us or find his own path, but this seems to be years, centuries of damage. First and foremost, I want our people safe. I count Catch as one of them, but... well, you know what I am getting at."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Cinnabar » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:06 pm

That tiredness, that hint of frustration or despair, did not go unnoticed. But for all that he had closed off one avenue after another, Calomel didn't share in it. Indeed, as the Glenn spoke his expression brightened until it was practically a grin.

"I share your goal, Governor." Pleased to find this to be the case, but there was a hardness to his gaze. "I would see him healed and happy. But I don't believe that's something that can be imposed from outside. No mentalism, no magics, nothing so simple." For certain values of simple, of course; even in such matters - especially in such matters - there are risks for those making the attempt.

"We're fortunate in that Catch isn't, by his nature, predisposed to cause harm. He prefers to help people rather than to harm them. He prefers to relieve suffering, not to cause it. As you say, he's tormented by his own memories. So he would rather heal, if he can, though from what you say his methods are... traumatic. The fault lies with his methods, then, rather than his intent." Those occasions on which he had injured people tended to be lapses - some sudden shock, some chance encounter which caused his reason to flee. A reflexive lashing-out, without thought or reason or control.

"The best way I can think to describe him is lost. He loses himself in his thoughts, some of which lead to dangerous and damaging places; to him, and to others. I have some ideas on how to approach this, perhaps how to remedy it - so that he can become stronger in his mind, more resilient so that every shock doesn't bring devastation. But it will take time, and I can't even guarantee that it'll succeed; but I'm prepared to do whatever I can. I entirely understand that in the meanwhile he remains dangerous to those around him." Deadly serious on this point, grey eyes unflinching as they meet the Governor's, well aware of what was at stake.

"I just don't see that there are any viable alternatives."
Cinnabar

Postby Glenn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Oh good. Cinnabar Calomel was brightening. Glenn Burnie simply did not share his optimism. What he laid out was simply not proactive enough. It was far too passive. It was, to put it simply, something they had tried over the years and with very middling results; no, with POOR results. "Knowledge." He began, quietly. "If we have more of that we may be able to deal with him better, treat him more accurately, better understand when the metaphor is real and when it is not. You have given us more pieces to fit in but we need the entire picture."

And past that? Past that what. "We've tried patience, Cinnabar. We've tried time and understanding. There are so many elements pressing against us, those who fear him, those who would use him, though who would tempt him. Even of his friends he receives endlessly conflicting message. These are from those who want only good things for him. That dissonance alone can bring the entire house of cards down. Add in those who have ill intent and it's not a matter of if but of when. I've tried to guard him, and others from him, every hour of every day and that's failed. After all that's happened, how can we just be kind and hope for the best?"
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Cinnabar » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:27 pm

"No, you misunderstand."

A flash of irritation crossed Calomel's features as the Governor spoke, and he shook his head impatiently.

"Protecting him, building a wall around him serves no purpose. You can't build a wall high enough or strong enough, not for Catch - he won't stay behind it forever, nor will anyone determined to reach him stay on their side. Which means you can't insulate him from those with ill intent, or those with good intent but misguided methods. You'd go mad trying." Especially here in Myrken. Too many random factors, too much interference coming from too many directions.

"I don't intend to hope for the best, or wait and see. I intend to teach him to cope. Ways for him to respond to these shocks and horrors and threats that don't involve him tearing up the town or dragging the moon from the sky. So that there's actually some progress, rather than it all getting smashed flat each time he runs into something we couldn't anticipate. Because that happens every day." Sometimes several times a day, in fact. His tone was earnest, even vehement, gaze clear and focused. This would work, because he had decided he would make it work.

"Catch needs to be able to heal himself, protect himself. He needs to learn control; self-control; self-awareness. I have methods in mind, Glenn, and yes, kindness is involved. But more than that: structure. Not imposed, but presented in such a way that he'll choose it for himself. Trust me."
Cinnabar

Postby Glenn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Catch couldn't reason. You couldn't negotiate with him, not like you would anyone else. The most stubborn people in Myrken, Niall, for instance, you could reason with. You might not have anything the want, but you could at least have a direct conversation with them that wouldn't be washed away with the next sunrise, that wouldn't be muddled and lost in metaphor and madness. Glenn thought what Cinnabar was suggesting was absolutely impossible.

But maybe, just maybe, it was simply beyond him. "We've tried structure, Cinnabar, work to keep him busy, a system of rewards, something to work towards, a home." Both hands raised. There was little point in arguing this. Calomel KNEW it. "Alright, I trust you. You have a plan. That is everything I asked for and more. You'll have my full support in executing it." Just like that, because why not, they tried everything else. "Thank you."

There was a but. Or at least a however. With the Governor there was almost always a however. "If it fails, however, we're going to have to try to get him away from here." And if that fails? Well, that was two bridges away and ideally would not involve Cinnabar Calomel at all.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Cinnabar » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:33 am

No, you couldn't negotiate with Catch. To negotiate implies having something of value to offer, and what could the Governor grant that Catch couldn't simply take if he wanted it? Oh, Glenn might deny things and make matters uncomfortable if Catch declined to cooperate, but it had become clear that the addled man was more than capable of making things uncomfortable in return. Not a path worth considering.

He could imagine the structure previously offered, the rewards and incentives and constraints imposed in exchange; a cage to keep him controlled, to keep those around him safe. Comfortable, pleasantly-furnished and baited with smiles and kind words, yes, but a cage nonetheless.

Pretty, little cha-chairs, and a handsome t-t-table, and cat-m-m-mint plants.The former Governor rose from his seat almost as soon as that assent was given, he tucked the book back into his coat pocket, satisfied that he had given the Governor as much information as he could. As much as he needed to decide what to do next. His manner became brisk. Businesslike. "Thank you, Glenn." For trusting Cinnabar with this. With having enough faith in his abilities to hold off on doing anything irrevocable. For now, at least.

"I'll keep you advised on how matters progress, if there's anything I need, and if any further information comes to light. I think we can make this work."

We have to make this work.

"I'm not sure there's anywhere far enough away."

There were other matters he might have discussed with Glenn, then, matters echoing a conversation over a Darkenhold chessboard. But he had been invited then as a friend and advisor, not an agent. Or a pawn. So. He trusted that Ariane Emory would attend to what business lay between her and the new Governor. If his involvement became needed it would no doubt be requested, by one party or both.

"Please let me know if Maxwell's condition improves."
Cinnabar

Postby Glenn » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:56 am

"Cinnabar," And a little pause from the Governor. Perhaps with his specific guest, the governor would not look down to his papers even before his predecessor left. "I would appreciate if you could send me a treatment, something written, on just what you do plan. What you've devised. I'd rather walk in step with you on this if I, or any of my people, do encounter Catch, after all." Then a smile. There may have been other things to say but no, today was just not the day for them. "And thank you for this. I know it clashes with the idea of retirement. You were just the man for the job. Do be safe."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Previous

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse