Proactive Measures for Dangerous Amnesiacs

Re: Proactive Measures for Dangerous Amnesiacs

Postby Altias_Bromn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:10 am

And there it was. A moment when his carefully constructed mask of control almost, almost, fell away. Curious, these creatures, always hiding. Never really who they are, even to themselves. He spoke of second chances. Of letting Altias Bromn become the best man he could be. He'd already been that, Governor. And now he was nothing more than a broken shell of a man who served no other purpose to her than to see into the lives of these humans. To find the weaknesses within and pick at them. The logical question would be why, but no one ever asked.

"No mortal ever wishes for the success of their fellow man simply because it is the right thing to do. All your puff and bluster will never make me believe that to be true. You have motives, Glenn Burnie, all men do. And your motives are certainly not to make Myrkenwood the best that it can be. There is nothing in that for you save an easy retirement and a cup of warm milk every night. No man aspires to such mundane goals. Men are bred to seek power. To seek the destruction of others to better put themselves above them. This is nature, Governor. Human nature."

She sat there still, calm and relaxed, in the body of Altias Bromn, wearing him much like a suit. She almost wished she had come herself, rather than speaking through this ridiculous creature.

"Who am I? Renne? Okulari? Please. Next you will accuse me of being Dhrin. None of them can even comprehend what I am, better still, strive to be what I am. They bent their knee to a creature I killed, Glenn Burnie. Weak, pathetic little creatures who thought that they could become one with the powers that ebb and flow in this world. The Baie died at my hands. When he returned to me, I gave him these children. They worshiped him because I led them to him. Do you begin to understand now, Governor?"

" As to my name, is it truly important? I have been called many things, none of them are my true name and you will not have that of me. But here, in this place? They call me the DreamWitch. I have been many. Galacia Tarin. Galacia Talus. Galacia Vraal. I am a whisper. I am a nightmare. I am the cold sweat on a man's brow while he sleeps. And what will such knowledge bring you? All that you know now has come before and will be again. "
Altias_Bromn

Postby Glenn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:36 am

"Then perhaps," his voice was soft, measured. Oh, control, such control, beautiful, wonderful control, even as something was inside him just ready to BURST. It was nothing preternatural though, not like things Bromn had once contained, nor like what Aeryn Karolinger had contained before his death. No, it was sensation. Emotion. Life. For now, though, it stayed on the inside, an undertone to his voice. "Perhaps, I mean to change human nature itself." Bromn had been his very best? Hardly. For no one could be their best without Burnie having a hand in it. His best paled to what they could create together. This young man seemed to believe that with all of his being. "We can be so much more. So much more than you and your ilk, bound by your magic and your timeless nature. Our mortality is our endless strength. Life could end so suddenly so it means ever so much more."

Had she come in person, perhaps he'd rise now, perhaps he'd kiss her hand. "Galacia." The thought was tempting despite that, but this was Bromn and really, there were limits, even to Glenn Burnie, even to him as he was now. Instead, the coldness mixed with a warm, warm flame.

"Five years. I served as a student to Ariane Emory. I served as the right hand of the best man this province had seen when he was Governor. I procured a library for Sylvius Duquesne. I broke Jirai through her dreams. Through. Her. Dreams. My mind was linked to a woman who was thrice cursed. I became Governor. Five years, Galacia Tarin." Teeth were grit now. The man was not afraid. He was not horrified. He was not even incensed. No, he was insulted. "Positioned as I was, endlessly vulnerable time and time again (you have no idea), with the hubris to call down gods and show them nothing but disdain, and you come to me now, through him, by accident." He would reach out, would attempt to tap Altias' face twice. Once. Twice. With his open palm. A light, patronizing slap. "You arrogant, ignorant slattern. Five years. I waited for you, too, waited for this moment, and it never came. Now it seems rather anti-climactic. But, no, let me introduce myself properly:

I am Glenn Burnie. I break circles. I end cycles. I am the only damned person in this entire province that learns from the past. I am proactive. I come to doom before it comes to me. This is my land, to be remade in my image. A diamond squeezed through hardness and pain. A crystal city, endlessly pushing back against those who would repress it."

His voice softened finally, became tender, almost flirting. He'd bite lightly upon his lip. "Tell me, dearest Galacia, in the face of that, wouldn't you rather we be friends? If I meant to forgive him his litany of failures, I could look past your ignorance. I'm sure you're a busy monster. I don't think you mean to repeat such a mistake." That flame twinkled once more in his yes. "We could be such friends, you and I. Or such enemies."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Altias_Bromn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:29 pm

"I will give you this, Glenn Burnie, that is perhaps the most accurate description of the human condition I have yet to hear. It is no secret that you are a thinker. Through that thought and determination you have been saddled with this burden you name responsibility. You truly believe that all shall reach salvation through your attentions. Some would say that makes you a madman. Others would say that it makes you exactly what you hope to be, a savior."

Twin slaps would land upon the Once-Governor's face, even metered as they were, they would bring color to those pale cheeks. It would bring no other visible reaction. He had called her a slattern. The man had lowered himself to calling her, even in the most eloquent way, a slut. Fortunately for him, in human terms, it was accurate. She found no offense in the term, and was, in fact, amused. Name calling, really? Then again, it was so very human.

"You waited? For me? Oh, now, had I known I surely would not have kept you waiting."

This would bring a genuine burst of laughter from her, scented of rose water and smoke, and akin to the sound of breaking glass. It was amusing to her that this man even considered her at all, better still that he had waited for this meeting.

"Friends? What a dangerous suggestion, for us both. Do you not think that every citizen of Myrken would have you run out of this town for even considering such a notion? I can already hear them whispering, Governor, of the man who would consort with the DreamWitch. I doubt that would serve your cause at all."

"I made a bond with a man of power once. A partnership. I would even dare to call it a friendship. It did not come to a very happy ending. You see, much like you, he thought that others would not find out, or if they did that they would understand. That man found himself buried in the cold earth of the Black Mountains, not far from the Keep of the Hunter of Skulls. That man had all the knowledge of lifetimes stripped from his mind, everything he was or ever would be taken from him, before his life was ended. All in a ill-advised attempt to save him from these humans you care so much for."

Silence for a moment, as she considered. She did not share with him the horror of that night, or of his return. Did not tell him that even demons dream, when the right being demands it of them. Did not tell him that she too understood fear, and the growth that comes from fear. There was much she might share with him, should the time be right, but this was not that time.

She would lean forward then, in her ridiculous Bromn suit, and smile. Even wearing his face, there was something more.

"If you would have such a ...friendship, Glenn Burnie, there will be more time needed. There are many things to consider. Soon enough I will leave your young friend to his own devices. You see, I find you much more interesting. Though I doubt we will be...friends, as you suggest, but perhaps, at least for now, we need not be enemies. Take care what you say of this meeting. Take care who you might share this confidence with, lest they think you mad."
Altias_Bromn

Postby Glenn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:51 am

Glenn Burnie gasped. A hand went to his mouth. His tone was shocked, alarmed. "Oh! I best be careful then! I had no idea." Eyes narrowed. Tone went dark as night. "Truly, Galacia. 'You best keep this secret! What would the populace think! It's gone poorly before!' What sort of fool do you think I am? Do you think any idiot can end up in this chair and.."

He coughed, staring right at the human puppet that she was controlling. It was all he could do not to uncomfortably laugh. "Well, yes, I can see how you might think that. It may even be true, but I assure you I am no fool. First of all, there are dozens of beings I could cavort with that would turn the good people of Myrken Wood against me before you. You're a myth, a fable, a nightmare. They have seen the results of the drow, of the Ashfiend. Even the Thessholes. Even the Baie had a cult that took people's eyes. Even the Baie gets blamed for random deaths in the woods. You're a whisper in the back of their minds, a bedtime story, a dare for children to make with one another. Shut your eyes and walk backwards for ten seconds and see if Galacia Tarin drives you mad." A raise of his hand. "Don't get all petty on me and think you need to change that, though. It's more fun this way. Anyone can kill a horde of townfolk just because their ego isn't being stroked enough. Being a myth has far more charm to it than being a mere monster. Any fool can tear something down but to create something brand new, something that this world has never seen..."

He was smiling again and it was such a nice smile too. He was far more plain than handsome, but there was something boyish about that smile that she may have missed before. It might not have even been there before. "As for what's happened in the past? I've already had everything that was me stripped away once or twice. How do you think I ended up here, in Myrken, in this chair, taling to you. We are either going to be friends or enemies. It'll be far more enjoyable for both of us if we're friends, I think. Why do you do what you do? I can't say I know for sure, but my guess is nature, that you are a slave to it far more than any of us. Nature or boredom. We're rather.. below you, when it comes to scope. Myrken Wood. Even Rasazan, even Thessilane would be a bigger goal." He laughed, outright laughed once more. "We were just beset by demons who wished to use Myrken as a breeding ground to conquer Thessilane. You see? This is our lot. Trodden on for the sake of others. This is what I rail against every single day. But dearest Galacia? As your friend I can offer you two things, an end to boredom, and eventually, an end to the shackles of nature."

His eyes twinkled as the smile shifted into a wry grin. "It's no less than I offer any of my friends, you see, and you would be a most special one indeed." Was he a madman? If so, he was a terribly effective one. That's all that mattered in Myrken, the end result and how it could be spun. He was wonderful at creating results and even better at spinning them. It took a madman to have a true vision for Myrken Wood. It took a practical one to execute it. Due to the twists and turns of fate and one man's pushing against them, Glenn Burnie seemed to somehow be both.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Altias_Bromn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:58 am

The bizarre Bromn puppet was rising then, A slow smile for the Governor. Despite all his talk of truths and beliefs, it was nonsense. There was a purpose to this game, he just refused to divulge it. Which was, in fact, half the fun of this.

"You say you wish to be friends. You will, of course, forgive me if words are not enough to convince me. To be fair, I am not certain I even am capable of friendship, as you would understand it. I am a reasonable creature, Glenn."

The name would be purred from the Governor's lips, certainly far more appealing from her true form. In this one? Kind of frightening.

"I understand a business relationship, and I understand your need to make sure I am not here to cause trouble for your underlings. You will, I am sure, understand that such things are not so lightly discussed and decided by thinking creatures like you and I. You have done your research on me, or so you say. I think it would only be fair if I am given the same opportunity."

"Here is what I offer. I will take the time to find out what the world has to say about you, Glenn Burnie. I will decide what you have told me that is truth, and what are lies. I will also learn that which you hope to hide from me. Then, and only then, will I truly consider your offer. Only then will I release your little pawn to his own control. As I said, you are far more appealing a prize."

She waits then, the Bromn faced demoness. She grows tired of looking through the eyes of this plain little creature. Things would be far more entertaining when she faced him as she truly was. When, if he chose to slap her again, or call her filthy names, the dance might actually be worth the effort.
Altias_Bromn

Postby Glenn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:10 am

"As I said," soft voice, calm, that half smile still upon his face. "I wish to break you from the bonds of nature as well. To make you more than the limited little creature you are now. There's a much broader world out there. Perhaps you'll come to see friendship as something to aspire to. Perhaps we'll both be surprised when i am through with you."

See, Altias Bromn? She would release you when ready? Glenn Burnie spoke truly. He would save your soul and would be your salvation. What a silly fool, not to believe, not that it mattered. The Governor did what he did even in the absence of such Belief. That's what made him endlessly better than most gods.

"You were so very kind, Dear Galacia, so very kind, indeed, to provide me with a warning." A hand went to his heart, touched, of course. "Please, please, let me do the same for you. You are a guest in my lands, after all," and he was not hesitant to remind her of that. This was his. His lands, his future, though she could have a hand in it, of course, if she played nice. "If you come with hostile intent, the very last place you wish to meet me, no matter what else you may think, is in my dreams." And yes, that was the moment where Glenn Burnie would deign to wink at the puppet before him. "Do wear something a little nicer next time, won't you? I'm a Governor after all." That last bit with mock-importance and endless amusement.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Altias_Bromn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:38 pm

"If you come with hostile intent, the very last place you wish to meet me, no matter what else you may think, is in my dreams."

The laughter that slips from the lips of Bromn is not his own. Very clearly it is that of a woman, and its nature is both soothing and jarring. It is a strange and disarming sound.

"Why Governor, is that an invitation, provided I play nice? I do promise to wear something nicer, at least by my standards."

He was a curious man, and she was intrigued by his offer and his duality. There was much more to this being, this man, than even he claimed. It would be amusing to try and find out what was really going on inside his head.

"For now, I believe our young friend here should be off and getting some rest. He does have a job to start tomorrow, yes? Would be a pity if he fell asleep and tumbled into an oven. For some, at any rate."

"I have things to study, Governor. I have much work to do, but I promise you will see me soon. I would hate to disappoint that rabid curiosity of yours. One little thing, before I go...perhaps you could do me a small favor?"

Bromn's hand is on the door, pressing it open like any sighted man would do. A free hand would blow an exaggerated kiss the Governor's way.

"Have you done much research on the creature known as the Baie? Perhaps you should before next we meet. It will allow you some tiny bit of understanding of this bargain you wish to strike."
Altias_Bromn

Postby Glenn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:58 pm

"The bai..bay? Bie? Bye?" Burnie tilted his head, scrunching his eyes, looking at her with troubled confusion. "Boi?" Big blinks. One. Two. Three. "booyee?" He looked to the left and looked to the right. "I'm sorry, I didn't quite make that out. Are we talking about Bay Leaves? I think we could get some of those if you..." His voice went cold as ice very, very quickly. Oh look, he seemed annoyed. "Time to leave, Galacia. I'll have the information forwarded to where Altias is sleeping so he knows where to go tomorrow." At that, Burnie sat back down and busied himself with papers, ignoring the retreating former governor completely.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Previous

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse