The distant sound of drums

The distant sound of drums

Postby channe » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:46 am

A letter given directly to Glenn, then, from one of the barracks runners.

Glenn, it says --

I met with Kerak last night at the Tavern. He has heard whispery News coming from the Derrey border that Burel is no longer willing to Stay and Stew on his Arse in the pretty derrey mountains drinking wine and wining about King Chedree. Aparently things are Moving there and we will have Derreyan Refugees by mid-winter.

Kerak said that the Dook's Plans were to atak and take Groo Fen, Heeth, and finally Amasinnia etc with help from New Dawntless (and dude I thowt they were enemies!) Kerak says that there were no plans to Take Over Myrken, but honestlee he is drunk if he thinks Burel's just going to let us Lie when he takes over everything els. Maybe Burel is a cowardlee scardey cat. At any way, I am thinking that there could have been some kind of Agreemunt between the Dook and Bromm which makes me scairt a little because Bromm is back in town (funny timing huh??)

I would very much Rekomend that you bring Kostroma in on what Plans we are going to have as he will hear abowt it all Himself anyway and we will have Armyes from Razasan to barack because if the Dook takes Derrey I can tell you that the King will be PISSED PISSED PISSED. And we should get a Marshal back Soon so that the milisha can trust them enough to be able to fite well (I know Arian is back in town and maybe we make Kerak it but only if we trust him. Do we trust him?) Becaus I am not sure what is going to Happen but something will Happen here certainlee. I do not trust the Dook when he says he is not interested in Myrken Wood and now he can Portal his soldiers everywhere which means that Kostroma is going to break out what He can Do and we need to be prepard for Blood-shed.

I am Patrolling today on the Border and will report what I Find.

Oh also Aleksee and I got marreyed too. We thowt you should know First.

Yrs,
Agnieszka (River not Kaczmarek)

... of all things, there are little *hearts* drawn at the bottom of the letter.
channe

Re: The distant sound of drums

Postby Glenn » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:55 am

Honestly? Glenn was tempted to implement Initiative D once again after reading the letter. Unfortunately, the hearts represented something else entirely. No, this was just Agnie, sober. At least she hadn't done anything rash this time. They'd not finish their dance at the bell tower. Probably a good thing considering she was married now. Well, then.

Dearest Agnieszka,

I know it will hurt your head to read so quickly, but this note is made from a special compound and the ink only lasts a few hours, so do get on with it. Also, you might want to wear gloves. We work with what we have here, and what we have are researchers who are not terribly good at recreating such things.

First, I'm annoyed I wasn't your best man. I have no idea who Aleksei's maid of honor would have been, granted. Bromn, perhaps, as he's newly returned too?

Kerrak and I have heard very similar bits of whispery news. It's part of why I wholeheartedly refused your doting husband's desire to be Marshall. Apparently he's trained, in a general sense, to throw legions of mighty magic knights with flaming swords up their asses at magical bloodlichbeasts or something. Not quite qualified to march farmers around in a square. You're not Marshall but I would like you to manage that until we can get a new Marshall. I AM working on it, I assure you, and when the time comes, you will be consulted. If you don't want to drill them for now, or see it below you in your new lofty place in the world, we can have some senior officer follow Kerrak's plans in that area.

As for the news itself, we are not going to panic. You always panic. I thought you had balls of steel. Not iron. That's someone else. Steel. When's the last time you saw me panic? We are also not going to liase with Kostroma yet.Our interests and that of the Crown's in both the short and medium term are direct opposites. It is in their interest to have Burel fighting on two fronts, especially when neither of those fronts are their own. It is in our interest to let his soldiers get eaten by marsh monsters in Ghreu Fenn and try to profit off the situation as best as we can so that we can prepare for the future as best we can. We're not even sure that Burel really has any aspirations outside of Derry. There was somewhat more moral ground for him mucking about in Derry than in Heath or elsewhere. The second he attacks somewhere else, then we'll think about next steps, ideally for a year or two down the line.

Anyway, it's just about winter, and I'm not a vaunted campaigner like you, but I know soldiers don't move in winter. All panicking can do now is to make us Chewdry's patsies, and we here in Myrken are our own patsies, thank you very much. What I know for certain is this. We are more trouble than we are worth to Burel right now, his warm, fuzzy, emotions notwithstanding.

So, to reiterate (that means to repeat the important things, ree it er ate), our primary concern will be a stream of refugees. Our secondary concern will be to avoid war and a more formal occupation by Kostroma, to continue to have room to move. Our third concern will be to shore up our borders and prepare for the worst. I assure you, my soaking wet Lady River, we are far more suited for all three of these things now than at any other point in your lifetime of Agony.

You, Kerrak, and I will meet in a week's time to discuss further.

And yes, yes, I love you too. You're like the sister or fourth cousin I never asked for.

Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse