A Missive to the Marshall, of the Utmost Importance

A Missive to the Marshall, of the Utmost Importance

Postby Rance » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:56 pm

"I do not even know who the Marshall is, or what a Marshall is to do, but Messa Regent Burnie gave me word to contact this Marshall with haste," she explained to the rock-breaker, who paused his breaking of rocks to look over his shoulder at the young Jerno.

"I was 'sposed to get socks," he said. "Knittered socks. Aye? And then you were 'sposed to not come back to me. Are ya daft?" A squinted eye, the folds of his skin fettered with little dry bits of rock-powder.

"Merely impassioned for the sake of Myrken," she said. "Doing my duty as a citizen of both this place, and my distant home. Establishing peace. You see?"

"With invisible knittered socks," he said.

"Yes." She held out another letter, one that very day dictated to the professor of Jernoan literature, who had blundered himself into a stupor of rum and pipesmoke, trying to rid his library of her tarsweat stink. "We will iron out the matter of the socks, but if you may please deliver this to the Meetinghouse, I would find myself placed further in your debt."

"Yer lucky I hate breaking rocks, girl," he said, then snatched it from her hands and marched off, a freelance courier. "Yer lucky I don't break that little seamstress face."

"It has been broken before," she said.

The letter was scrawled with a drunken MARSHALL across it in bold, multiply-scraped letters, and stamped with a bloated wax seal.

To be delivered with Great Haste to the Marshall of Myrken, at the Behest of The Fine Master Regent Glenn Burnie, for whom the Writer of this Missive has a Great Respect and a Desire to Please in her Acts of Patriotic Support --

Dear Marshall:

It has come to my Attention through the Words of the Previously-Mentioned Regent that New Appointment must require significant Celebration, and that Formalities may be considerably inhibited by the overabundance of Informalities, among which is numbered A Current and Distinct Lack of Proper Uniform.

I am a Seamstress of Great Prowess, and while I am not necessarily a Tailor or Dressmaker by Trade, I have found my way about the Foibles of garment-making for some Time, though my Expertise lies specifically within Hems, and Embroidery, Trims and Trains, and Elaborate Schemes of the Threaded Sort. It is with Humility and my Greatest Sincere Respect for your Strength that I wish to expend extend my Abilities as your personal Garment-Maker. Regent Burnie made me aware that you would be in Need of a Crisp New Uniform, and Without Any Pay save for the Costs of the Materials In Question, I would gladly be in your Service. Also, it is my Hope that this Task inspires the tootledge Tutelage of my Dear Friend Master C-----, who is currently Ill with Flinthead at the Hospital, and is very able with a Bodkin.

Through the sail Sale of Small Bags and Smoke-Leaf Pouches, I have obtained enough Capital to establish a Closet of Various Resplendent Fabrics, any or all of which I would be glad to utilize if only for the Replacement Price. I wish to meet with you at your Earliest Convenience so that we may discuss Preferred Patterns, Styles of Design, the Current Trends in Jernoan (and Myrken) Fashion, and Suggested Modes of Garment-Borne Intimidation so that your Enemies and Foes will think Twice of you due first to your Blade, and secondly to your Clothes. A Marshall must seep Danger and Authority, after all, if not for Good Citizens, then surely for Bad Ones.

Correspondence may be directed to the Broken Dagger, where I will patiently await your Response, and sharpen my Shears and Needles Accordingly.

The Previous Sentence should be struck from Record for its Ill and Violent Appearance -- and This Part of the Letter should be struck as well.

Sincerely, Your Loyal Subject and a Fair and Good-Natured Foreigner expatriated across a Sea for the Sake of Myrken's Growth,

Signed,

Gloria (Glour'eya) Wynsee, Noble Ignoble, Seamstress, Sempstress, Embroideress, and Lover of Good Poetry
Rance
Co-Founder

Re: A Missive to the Marshall, of the Utmost Importance

Postby Carnath-Emory » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:52 am

The builder, Betzalel, wonders if it might be a mistake. Follies? Folpier. Folderol.
She leaves his company with eight new words and a strong suspicion of pranks.

Farsiris, the reluctant secretary, is concerned exclusively with the mention of Bodkins. The word is not quite unfamiliar. It refers perhaps to an eastern culture, or else one of their more obscure dishes, and isn't there a book? Their curiosity comes to involve ladders and tall library shelves, only to conclude with little but a lingering sense of bewilderment. Ariane will make inquiries of this embroideress, won't she? To see if perhaps the bodkin isn't some sort of disease, in which case she will surely making their conversation brief.

Glour'eya Wynsee, Seamstress, Embroideress, and Lover of Good Poetry

On the matter of ceremonies the Governor is strictly mistaken. On the matter of uniforms the Governor is well-informed and I am grateful that he has guided you in my direction for it would seem that as regards Garment-Borne Intimidation we share a like aesthetic. My requirements are simple: a thing which is well-crafted and durable, designed in lines which are stern, but stern within reasonable limits. It is one thing to silently intimidate and another, less productive, to wholly terrify. Below find a date and hour during which we might meet at the Broken Dagger tavern in which you lodge.

- Marshall Emory

You will convey our regretful sympathies to the unfortunate Master C___ and with it our enduring hope that the bodkins is swift to pass.

Carnath-Emory

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse