A letter to the Marshall

A letter to the Marshall

Postby Katie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:54 am

The handwriting is a little sloppy, and dreadfully small, but it's clear enough to read from a masculine hand. It arrives on frayed parchment, written in fine-tipped charcoal, instead of ink.

To Marshall Ariane Carnath-Emory,

My name is Radeorin. I am a new employee of the Broken Dagger tavern as a bus boy and also a resident. I am new to Myrken Wood and finally found out who I should be sending this to. I hope you are well.

I thought it would be better for me to send you a letter, than to meet you in person. You see, I was born deaf and can't speak. It's not uncommon that people don't speak a form of sign language, either, and I don't mind. I have been very welcomed in Myrken Wood and was lucky to find a quick job, both as a full-time bus boy for the Broken Dagger as well a part-time patron at Treadwell's Toys. However, there seems to be an issue I'd like to bring to your attention.

I am sure you're already aware of a boy named Elliot. He has stolen something from me and I would like it returned. I understand that he is a bullying type, and it's easy to pick on me, but I'm not interested in his methods. I would prefer that my item, a glass marble, be returned to me. I understand that this is a small item, but it's not right to steal and what else might he have in his possession? I have tried to approach him directly, but I found out that he thought punching me and threatening me with a dagger was a better response. I've made this offer twice and I'm sad to say he still has my marble. My set is precious to me, and glass marbles are rare, and I hate to make an issue of it, but there are few possessions I own that mean this much to me.

I appreciate your help. I am also happy to meet in person, but understand, I cannot speak and letters are the easiest way for me to communicate.

Sincerely,
Radeorin
Katie

Re: A letter to the Marshall

Postby Carnath-Emory » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:17 am

She's been sitting on this one for days. At one point literally so, because it had been folded into a pocket and left there during lunch, unrelated paperwork, an hour with the katars and half of dinner. It is not an issue of respect but of indecision: what does one do with such a request? Five years ago she'd have laughed it away. Five weeks ago it would have been addressed to someone else entirely. The simplest solution would be to redirect it to the Constabulary, exactly the organisation charged with managing such concerns; redirecting it to Lentham specifically would be the most amusing solution and a part of her wishes very much that she could seriously accept that as an option.

The rest rather pines for the days of High Constable Calomel.

Radeorin

I am aware of a boy named Elliot. Although I know no form of sign language, I would like to speak with you
in person if this is a thing of which you are yet capable. I find that the written word does not serve my purposes
well, being clumsy, impersonal and capable of describing only the most broad statements.

Marshall Carnath-Emory

Carnath-Emory

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse