A Package of Expense and Labor to M'll. A. C. Em'ry.

A Package of Expense and Labor to M'll. A. C. Em'ry.

Postby Rance » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:27 am

A package was delivered to the Meetinghouse in waxed parchment meant to keep the glare of winter sun or the touch of snow from its folded contents. The delivery was crisscrossed with twine to keep it secure.

Underneath the thin rope was a folded bit of poetry-book paper that had half-lines printed on it, severed in the paper's tearing:

--rever and ever
a tumbling storm afoot
like hidden plague and vague dissent
from nature’s wrath without cons--

On the other side, an addressing scrawl, as if the torn page had only been a forgotten scrap:

To marshel emry, in hopes it fines you in good helth

Within was a more properly-folded sheet of parchment, one written by a familiar scribe, while underneath it, three garments awaited perusal.

The first was a pair of smart trousers, low enough to fit into boots but high enough not to tickle the ankles. Along the outer seam, a straight trim that reached from bottom hem to hip. The cotton fabric was both thin and flexible, suitable to matters of court but also keen and cool for situations of quick action. Bone-carved buttons crawled up from the pant-cuffs to the knee, so that if worn outside boots, the looseness of the trousers could be adjusted at the wearer’s discretion.

The second garment was a slender jacket that, on the Marshall, would fall just above her waist. Its shoulders were padded to give a square, stately appearance, and the epaulets were embroidered with an elegant pattern of stems and thorns. Eight buttons reached straight down from a tall, chin-height collar. Within, a gauze lining, one lined with small, conservative pockets for missives, coins, and other tiny objects meant to be hidden but cherished. Its most remarkable feature, however, were the sleeves. One of them was particularly suited to a specific gauntlet, so that it might be buttoned up against the elbow to allow the Marshall’s bracer to show, or that it might be folded down and clasped to hide it.

The third vestment was an undercoat of lighter color, casual and flexible, stitched of a delicate material lined by dizzying fractals of embroidery. It was the finest piece of the three, made less by the hands of a budding tailor and more at the skill of a young yet masterfully-trained seamstress. There was math in those stitches –- logic, training, formulas of over-and-under stitches that crossed paths, so unlike the simple, functional work of Myrken’s seam-workers.

The note was long, but dictated with care:

Marshall,

I have taken Liberties with some Aspects of the Design as We discussed, and was Rightfully Thankful for the Blessed Accuracy of our previously-ascertained Measurements. Please find it in your Heart to forgive the Occasional Pulled Seam or Overlooped Thread, for I have put many Proud Hours over the Coarse Course of a Month into this example, and I pray it suits You with Perfection. I am no Tailor by Trade, but have a Humble Eye for Patterns, and sitting outside Master C-----‘s Room during his Fortunate Recovery provided me Many Nights of Uninterrupted Work.

If You have any Criticisms or Complaints, please do not hesitate to make Me a wearer aware, for I am at your Leisure and will be willing to modify at Your Behest if You wish I continue on with our Good Work. It will be Good Practice for my Fastly-Healing Apprentice.

Examine these Contents well, and at your Satisfaction, I will start work on the Second Uniform when Trader Olwak is well enough to procure me the Requisite Materials.

Also, as I have only recently been introduced to the Splendor of Yule and the Practice of Giving Gifts, please remember to redeem this Letter at our Next Meeting for the Recitation of a War Poem Memorized from Jernoan Archives, as previously Promised, for I Hope its descriptions of Daring Bravery and Happy Combat will Endear you to the Wonders of Jerno Poetry, and also Ale, introduced to Me by a Good Man of Many Teeth, which will Suit our Mouths and Warm our Good Bones in this Dreadful Chill.

Your Loyal Uniformess, Sincere and with Gratitude in Service of Myrken,

Glour’eya Wynsee

Please Add: I have worn the Pants only Once to examine their Fortitude and felt Very Fearsome.
Rance
Co-Founder

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse