To Glenn Burnie, Considering Books, Treadwell, and Learning

To Glenn Burnie, Considering Books, Treadwell, and Learning

Postby Rance » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:43 pm

A cold morning. The kind fit for dictation.

Professor de Lanz was not thrilled for the seamstress to knock on his door that morning; he had gotten into quite the row with his wife the night before over unwashed beans. Yet, he welcomed the retreat to his office, where he took a seat at his bureau and wet his quill with black ink.

“I take it you are not here for a social visit,” he said to the girl.

“I would like some tea without sugar,” she said.

“And to speak a letter, I take it.”

“When do I not speak letters to you?”

“When you are not here.”

The seamstress tilted her head under her bonnet and tapped a gloved finger on her knee. “Would you like me to leave,” she said, “when I have already paid for your services as a penman, in advance, for four letters weekly?” It was what she could afford, selling little stitched bags and patches for cloaks, a service that left her scrambling for coin to pay off her room at the Dagger every week.

“No, just speak,” he said. “I could use the distraction.”

“I wish you would take your job more seriously, professor,” she said.

“I wish you would understand your boundaries more readily, child. A seamstress cannot make change in the world around her. That is not a woman's place, nor is it ever a girl's.”

“I am left with no other choice but to try,” she said.

To the Honorable Glenn Burnie, Master Regent of Myrken Wood, regarding a Request for Literature, and a Concern for One Very Blind Dignitary

If You remember our Earlier Correspondence, Regent Burnie, I hope that You recall the Request you made, that if I obtained a Number of Jernoan Books, You would compensate me for their Acquisition. Well You see, I have just returned from a Foot Journey of Four Days to Foggy Bottom, where I retrieved Various Jernoan Tomes, which include

- Jernoah and its Sands: A History
- A Critcical Analysis of Jernosta Tactics: or, Training Young Boys to Kill Young Boys
- The Rat'vak of Growing Parts and Reclamation of Way of the Nameless – Why Foreigners Should Be Forsaken
- H'zlz and G'leuse [This is a Wonderful Longform Poem, my Personal Favorite, in which H'zlz, a Good Man and General, has fallen in Passion for a Younger Man, G'leuse, and kills G'leuse's Wife and Child to display His Love; It is tragic]
- The Three Day War and Relations with Einsland
- How to Bathe without Water
- Giving Your All to the Nameless!!!: A Poor Lady's Belief in Many Gods Or One!!! [She must have been very excitable when This was written]

These are Titles in Translation – I will inquire of my friend in Myrkentown, Professor de Lanz, to translate the contents.

Acquiring them was of some Difficulty. My Associate Messa Murrukh protected me on the Journey, and while I am not fond of his Whoring Ways or his Desire to pass Offensive Amounts of Bodily Gas when his Bowels so Choose, I was grateful for his willingness to protect me from the Potential Threats of Bandits, Highwaymen, Angry Wolves, Very Disagreeable Ticks and Fleas, and Lascivious Men who thought me Quite a Catch.

Murrukh will require thirty-three shillings for his time; I will require four shillings for the night we lodged in Foggy Bottom; Professor de Lanz will require at least five shillings per translated chapter; I hope you are Willing to Honor our Previous Agreement of Payment, for the sake of bringing My Agreeable History and Poetry to Myrkentown.

Also, there is a Matter of Fright that I wish to Express: that a one Dignitary, Messa Treadwell, chose not to Interfere in a Matter of Potential Violence in the Broken Dagger Tavern the other night, as if He was Exempt from the Task. A Dignitary of Any Status should be willing to speak against such Transgressions; He was more concerned with my Books than with the fear that a Child might be Hurt, or that a Lady was in Danger.

This is not a Good Representation of Myrken Diplomacy.

In Addition, I would like to offer my Services as a Servant of the Court, or as a Junior Student of Diplomacy. You see, I have practiced speaking against that Book Voice, Melody, and Man as You suggested, and think I might be fit for Politics, and would like to hone these Skills of Rhetoric along with my Mathematics and grip on Standard Language. I have heard Many Times that Politics are not a Woman's place, but I have a skill to Incense and Frustrate and think it may be a Calling to follow.

I look forward to your letters.

Sincerely, your Loyal Supporter in Myrkentown, faithful Jerno-turned-Myrkener, Humble Seamstress and Hopeful Student of an Academy of Rhetoric and Letters that may teach Her the way to a Life of Faithful Work,

Signed,

Gloria (Glour'eya) Wynsee
Rance
Co-Founder

Re: To Glenn Burnie, Considering Books, Treadwell, and Learn

Postby Glenn » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:38 am

Days passed. There was more pressing business. There was always more pressing business.

Eventually, though: a response.

Gloria,

I have worn many hats in my time in Myrken Wood. Ah, you probably do not know what that phrase means given our linguistic differences. It means that I have had many jobs, the idea being, metaphorically, that each job has a different hat that one wears in the doing of it (it does not necessarily). So, I am saying I have held many jobs, fulfilled multiple positions. One of these was and is to acquire a considerable and varied library at Darkenhold, being the home of Marshall Emory. This commission was granted to me by it's architect, Sylvius Duquesne, a man currently absent, but from whom you could learn many varied and essential things. After much deliberation, I have decided that these rare and unique books would be best protected in that great library than in the murky and dilapidated Library of Mudd. Therefore, in the name of my commission, you are to send the books are to Darkenhold with expenses charged to Mister Duquesne himself. One of his aides will see to them and you will be welcome to visit the books whenever you desire. Darkenhold is but a few hours ride from town, after all, and its gates are open to all those in need of succor or enlightenment.

Speaking of different jobs, Councilor Treadwell's is very specific and he serves it with surprising honor and diligence. I would not ask of him General Administration nor to ensure the safety of the people. He is the world's only honest tax collector. We should be thankful for that. That said, he has stepped into the breach in many previous occasions, often oblivious to the true danger he was in, and I have chastised him for that. In an orderly society all people have their proper roles.

Ah, a student of rhetoric. This would be a perfect thing for Sylvius Duquesne to teach you, as I cleverly foresaw in my previous paragraph. If and when he returns to Myrken, I call upon you to call upon him with this goal. Until then, you must show proper patience. Wisdom is worth the wait.

Governor Burnie
Glenn
Co-Founder

Re: To Glenn Burnie, Considering Books, Treadwell, and Learn

Postby Rance » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:29 am

A Very Short Dictated Response to Master Regent Glenn Burnie, of the Highest Respect and Regard,

Regarding your Kindly and Quick Correspondence, I thank You: I will be Sending Word to this Darkenhold -- it is a Terrifying Name, and I Do hope Marshall Emory considers Its retrieval upheavel for a more Suitably Inviting Term -- to look into the Lodging of Books, as well as the few of My Future Ass Aspirations that may possibly exist outside of Needlework and Embroidery.

Also, the Matter of Yesterday should be discussed, for I should make Apology, and Correction.

One: I hope you will excuse my Unintentional Disrespect. You see It comes down to My Great Esteem for the Elderly, a Thing implanted by Jernoan sensibility and instilled by the ma'ardos.* What I cannot understand is why the Stories of the Greatlady are of any Import to Political Matters. Either way I have had Time to think about Our Conversation, and I recognize that your Good Desire to preserve Myrken Wood's Sanctity is Paramount, be damned if some Stupid Seamstress should get in your Way. It is just that I have the Greatest Likeness for the Greatlady, and wish her Last Years to be Serene.

If I may help in any way, I shall, as long as I am not required to break my Kindness to her. If I may ask, what Danger can be present in Stories meant for the growth of Mind and Spirit.

Two: In the matter of Kneeal Niall the Spearwielder, who took it upon Herself to attempt Assault upon an Innocent Potion-Maker, I feel I was Justified in speaking my Mind; if a Mere Seamstress must defend the Sensibilities of another Innocent Girl, then Myrken is truly in disrepair, and I hope by Your Hand it is Reestablished with Peace.

The Next Time we Speak, Good Regent, I will remember my Tongue and my Place and I am endlessly grateful for your Patience. In Jernoah I would not have lived to see Today.

That must mean I am becoming more Myrkener than I ever thought.

Yours in Respect and Gratitude,

Glour'eya (Gloria) Wynsee, Seamstress and Loyal Subject

* Regarding the ma'ardos (in regards to Women), or the pa'ardos (in regards to Men): It should be explained by the Scribe of this Letter (Professor de Lanz, Myrken Scholar of Jernoan History and Language) that the ma'ardos is a Very Important Law in Jernoah. Because the Average Lifespan is only between twenty-five and thirty years, the Elderly are respected in the Highest. Ma'ardos allows an Elder to function with Great Power in Courts of leadership and politics based solely on the Merit of their Age. While It is a Conservative Ideal, the ma'ardos is an Irrevocable Law of the Nameless and affords Respect beyond any other to Those who have lived very long.
Rance
Co-Founder

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse