Getting to the Heart of the Matter

Re: Getting to the Heart of the Matter

Postby Glenn » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:48 am

Aleksei and Agnieszka,

My apologies for the delayed response. I've spent time deliberating upon this. I want us to be able to solve our problems on our own. I want you close by for the things to come, for there are such things. Unfortunately, the waters are far too muddied. I think what is best, Aleksei, is that you go to Burel directly. He is aware of this situation and will provide assistance. You will not be branded a traitor. In fact, to that end, I want you to accompany him, Agnieszka. You are a known to others as something Razasan loyalist, so much as anyone in Myrken is, even though I know that your heart does and always will reside with us in Myrken. The perception, however, will shield your husband. You'll also be able to watch his back.

I am loathe to ask them for help, but having heard, after-the-fact, of what has just occurred between you and Ariane and Cinnabar, Aleksei, for the sake of those I care for, I will let necessity trump pride here. Go and seek out help. I will provide you with whatever supplies you need for your journey.

Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby BetaFlame » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Oh, Agnie wasn't going to like this one bit. Aleksei knew it was the best bet, but he really didn't like it. So the letter was folded and tucked in a pocket before he started penning one of his own.

Glenn,

Oddly, I had suggested something similar. A detailed map of Thessilane would be very handy, if you have one. I seem to remember that being your past trade? Before you ran the nexus of weirdness that is Myrkenwood. If you don't mind, I'd like to make a dual purpose stop on the way to your suggestion. I seem to remember that Christoph was the one that sent the book in the first place? Perhaps I could meet with him, then prevail on his wife to poke at my wards and see what she thinks. I did use the energy she placed for a base for it all, after all.

Then, perhaps, if Agnie has not started a war by then, I can get a letter of introduction to take to the capital?

What are your thoughts of this course?
-Aleksei

Then he is off to find his wife.

"Agnie? Are you hiding out here?"
BetaFlame

Postby channe » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:50 pm

"Of course," she says. She's sitting in the bedroom in one of the wooden chairs, sharpening her daggers.

Seems she's always sharpening her daggers, these days. She looks up at him expectantly.
channe

Postby BetaFlame » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:57 am

Aleksei smiles and shakes his head, "I have fresh whetstones at the forge. That one is getting worn to nothing. I'll order more with the next shipment of iron." While he speaks he just pulls out the letter from Glenn and passes it to her. "You aren't going to like this,"

That's probably an understatement. As she reads it, he just tells her what he requested, "I want to go see Lamai first. To check on the wards.. and ask her husband about the Book he sent us."
BetaFlame

Postby channe » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:12 am

A small smile. "Thanks," she said. And then he says everything else -- and she quietly puts the whetstones aside, standing up and walking over to him, reading the letter with an angry, concerned face. A pause, before she shoves it back at him.

"... I kind of figured it would probably end up this way. Just don't expect me to have to be nice to them. Or to believe for five seconds that, after what they did to us by sending us that book, that they have anything but malice towards you." A pause, and a wicked little smile. "But hey. I want an up-close look at the shit Burel's planning, anyway."
channe

Postby BetaFlame » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:57 am

He moves to put a hand on his wife's shoulder, to soothe her before she gets angry.. all over again. "Nice? No. Polite and civil? That would be helpful since I am asking them for help." He gives her a little smile and moves over to peer at his clothing, as if considering what to pack. "I doubt you would agree to it, but if we could use their methods of fast travel, we could get there much faster. But since you won't.. maybe you will close your eyes and pretend just to get us to Christoph and Lamai.. and I will agree to learn to ride your infernal beasts?" Maybe she would agree to a compromise. It wasn't something either of them did very well.

"Whatever we choose to believe, I need their knowledge of this at the very least." While she considers that, he sits at the desk in the bedroom to pen a second letter.

Ariane,

I will be leaving for Thessilane shortly, at Glenn's request. If you would like to meet before that, I could stop by the Meetinghouse. If not, I will compile all the information I have on Raia's potions and send it to you.

Also, you should be getting a shipment of what is called 'dragonfruit' shortly. I am including a page from a cookbook on what your cook can do with them.

-Aleksei
BetaFlame

Postby channe » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:49 am

"I'll be civil. But not polite. The two are entirely different things." Her jaw tightens; she tightens like a coiled spring at his touch. "The Baroness hates me, and I hate her. It's a mutual hate. I doubt I'll be let inside the castle. You, on the other hand --" a pause. "And no. Anything can happen with gates, and I am not putting your life in jeopardy. Remember that Burel is the one who thinks it's going to be a cakewalk going up against the most powerful military force on this continent. He's batshit. All of his people are batshit. I am not putting my body, or yours, in the hands of people who are absolutely batshit. We'll compromise; we'll take a carriage. You can sit back there, and I'll drive."

When walks off to write a second letter, she does, as well, in the anteroom.

Glenn,

If you think this is what needs to be done then we'll do it.

But I don't know what's going to be worse, deeling with all of those smug chanelurs or listening to Aleksei bitch about being around horses. The things I do for you.

- Agnie
channe

Postby BetaFlame » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:21 am

He considers what Agnie says.. and sighs. "Alright. And.. I will still learn. If you want to teach me. Maybe you can watch me break my face." He tilts his head at her and considers. He almost asks. Right now, he almost wants her to tell him why there is all the hatred. "I will ride with you sometimes, up front. Because.. I need to know why you and the Baroness hate enough like a pair of cats in a sack."

He does smirk a little at her description of Burel and his channelers. "I do know a little bit about insane spellcasters and their rulers, you know. I grew up with them, though they were a different kind of crazy."

There will be packing done. Much packing. "Why do I feel like I should ask Glenn for my sword back?"
BetaFlame

Postby Carnath-Emory » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:53 am

Inquisitor River

Compile and send. There is no time for anything more.
My thanks. For many things.

-Ariane

Her secretary's hand is small, clear; flawless.
Carnath-Emory

Postby Glenn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:03 am

Aleksei,

A few maps are attached. One will take you to Derry, another to Thessilane, and the third from the one to the other. I am going to send advanced word to Burel as swiftly as possible. That will be alongside whatever letter of introduction I give you. Your arrival will not be a surprise. We live in perilous times. I will leave very little to chance, you understand. It is my guess that you will be found just past the Myrken border and transported to either him or to Cristoph, depending on the old buzzard's whim. I will try to make sure you're treated with proper dignity but Thessholes are Thessholes.

Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby channe » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 am

"Because you probably should have your sword, if you're going to Thessilane. Any sword. "

Out comes a bag; she rifles through the chests at the foot of the bed, dragging out clothing and armor. She thinks on this for a moment, and shrugs. "You know I don't do well with people that think I'm dirt jus' cause I am who I am," she says. "She has a high-falutin idea of the world; she did even before she got sleepin' with Cristoph an' his father. Yeah, she only married Christoph after Kerrak kicked it." Is that a laugh? "Anyway. She's rude. She's nasty. She respects nothin'. Talkin' with her is like eating a load of bullshit."
channe

Postby BetaFlame » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:41 am

He couldn't help but smile at his wife's packing. He would normally insist the armor wasn't needed, but there was a war on. He'd be foolish too. "Yet, she helped me without so much as asking anything in return. Maybe I am just easier to get along with than both of you?" He gives her a little wink before he settles at the bedroom desk to start writing again. This one will be longer.

Ariane,

I have included all my notes on the subject, along with all the tests I did. But I will summarize for you. Raia's, the potion maker, potions are made solely by her strength of will. They are what ever she wants made manifest in physical form. The ingredients don't matter, and whatever incantations she may or may not speak over them do not count. They are solely whatever she wants them to be. I've seen magic like this before, and its both good and bad. So long as the user is disciplined enough to separate their will and desires from their mind while they create their magic, they will get what they want. But the moment they fail to do this, the moment a stray thought creeps in, it can change everything. She may intend to create a healing potion, but if she were pining for affection, create a love elixir as an example.

In short: Study the creator, not the created.

-Aleksei

Then he stands and stretches out slowly and starts packing his own things. He grabs the black cloak that is the polar opposite to his white along with one of the grey ones he wears when he doesn't want to stand out. Then words, ones he doesn't say enough. "Agnieszka. You know I love you, right?" He's being all sappy.
BetaFlame

Postby channe » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:09 pm

"Yeah." She pauses, greaves dangling from her hand. The smile he gets back in return is one that doesn't alight on her face too often. "I know. You know I'll be polite to her. For you. Only for you." And she pauses. "And if you stop treating me like I'm going to break. If you wanted a pretty housewife, Myrken's full of 'em. But you married me, so." She grins. "Deal with it."
channe

Previous

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse