To Begin Again

To Begin Again

Postby Altias_Bromn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:54 pm

After receiving Glenn's letter, Altias had considered writing back, but it seemed a waste of a lot of perfectly fine paper. he had more things he needed to speak to the governor about anyway, so a visit seemed more practical.

He donned his most practical clothing, his Xanth Grange uniform being one of the things destroyed by Zilliah, so it was Leather pants and vest, slightly heeled boots, a white silk shirt and a simple black wool cloak. He wore his weapon at his hip again, and had for some time now.

A few quick words for the guard as he approached.

"Altias Bromn, to see Governor Burnie."
Altias_Bromn

Re: To Begin Again

Postby Glenn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:12 pm

It was a possibility. Certainly of the people Glenn wrote to, who wrote to Glenn, one of them was bound to come. He had thought it would be Lamai or Agnieszka. The former seemed to prefer such things, might want to have a look at the Governor. The latter had the hugest personal stake in this situation and was the most impulsive. Though then again Bromn was known to be impulsive sometimes, usually in all the worst ways.

Even so, he was injured, but then, there he was.

He was let in. Burnie had letters to write and things to manage. He was in and it wasn't long before one man was before the other. "Altias." The younger man stood, extended a hand. "Are you well?"
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Altias_Bromn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:20 pm

He would take the governor's hand in his own, a firm shake given and quickly his hand dropped back to his side.

"I am whole once more, Governor. I had the attentions of a healer that same night. Good as new."

He would take a chair, even though one had not been offered.

"You wanted to know about what happened a few nights ago. I will tell you, but you may not like my version of things. Let me lead off by saying that neither Catch nor Aleksei caused my injury, at least not directly. Jirai threw the knife. It was meant for Lamai. It would have stabbed her in the back. That woman...Jirai, is a menace."

A slight adjustment to his position in the chair, still remembering how to maneuver with the blade at his hip.

"I did not see the beginning of the ordeal, but I understand that Catch meant to "see" Aleksei. I would like it known that in my perspective, Aleksei River was not at fault here. His transformation was brought on by whatever it was Catch did. I saw these...things...tentacles people have said, attached to both the Marshall and Aleksei."

He pauses then, in case Burnie has any questions so far.
Altias_Bromn

Postby Glenn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:27 pm

Burnie would sit. Healing. Of course. Distasteful. Had Ariane ever spoken to him about her feelings on the matter? Had he listened? Had he dismissed them as uncomfortable superstition. Thankfully, there were more important things to discuss. "I am glad that you were seen to quickly, but do you mind me asking who did the actual healing?" With most people it wouldn't matter, but with Bromn... well, one might never know what being was surrounding him. "I know you once had an association with the Fae."

Jirai threw the dagger at him. That Burnie had known. What he hadn't known was that the target was Lamai. Interesting. He'd nod in response and have a statement and question as well. "I had neutered her at one point, you know. With compassion, all that a living being could hold, but Roschen found a way around that. She's still limited compared to what she once was. It's Suede that's really the danger." No matter, for that was mostly redirected, at least for now. The question, then. "Was there any particular reason she targeted Lamai? Or was it just to add to the chaos?"

Ah, so Bromn would side with Aleksei in this. That made the Governor smile, almost despite himself. A nearly split decision between those who he contacted. "You know well what it's like to be so possessed, yes. We had hoped Aleksei to be finally freed. Obviously, that was a mistake. I apologize that it led to even a temporary maiming."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Altias_Bromn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:38 pm

"Zilliah." Straight to the point and not apologetic at all. The Fae had changed and he doubted the Governor was even aware. "And my involvement with the fae is really none of your business, Governor."

He moved on with the story, not really giving Burnie a chance to respond to that.

"Jirai targeted Lamai, to my knowledge for no other reason than to add to the already awful situation. It could have been to draw me out, it could have been to enrage Catch who had by then, backed down. We all know he loves Lamai. I had not thought to involve myself in this at all, but considering a knife to the back is most uncivilized, I could not sit by and let it happen. The rest of them could have died for all it matters to me."

As Burnie mentioned the possession he would shake his head, his much shorter hair drifting over his shoulders. "Let me make this as clear as I can, Governor. What has happened to Aleksei is nothing like what happened to me. Aleksei can contain this thing. He was provoked into that state, That Catch did not mean to make him into this angry thing is not the point. And now it seems that Aleksei is seen as a threat and Catch is still harmless. I think that view is dangerous, at best. Do not mistake me. I think Catch is a wonderful man when he is in control, but when he is not? Aleksei should be the least of our worries."
Altias_Bromn

Postby Glenn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:52 pm

Quick words storming past anything Glenn might say? That causes outright laughter, even as the surely bemused former Governor continues to speak. Zilliah was back. That was interesting. At least he was healing and not harming, yes?

"Agnieszka could just die? That's unkind. Certainly the two of you go back in some ways. I wouldn't have wanted anyone in that room to die, personally. Well, Jirai, but she's not really a person, is she?" The laughter had turned to an easy smile as he watched the man occasionally looking down to a paper here or there.

Then there were rather strong words indeed and Burnie simply continued to smile. Bromn was rather difficult, wasn't he? Quick to judge. Quick to make an ass out of himself even after all he'd been through. It made sense that he'd overcompensate for his past. "That Aleksei allowed himself to be provoked is in and of itself dangerous. Catch is also extremely dangerous but most conventional solutions will not work with him. If we try to kill him, we will all die for the power he would release. If we imprison him that power gets released as well. If we try to control him, well... is that the sort of power you would like me to wield, Altias. If so, I appreciate the trust you put in me. Others are not so kind. So we contain him through means conventional and less so, and we do our best at that." A wave of his hand, almost dismissive. "I do not speak lightly. There are not mere theories. We know what would result and we have tried many things. It does not mean he's allowed to do whatever he wants freely, but the confines must be more clever and beguiling than you suggest. Do you accept the possibility of what i say, Altias?"
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Altias_Bromn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:22 pm

HE did not respond to the Governor's attempts at humor, or perhaps even to goad him. He simply continued with his account of what had happened that night.

"You will forgive me lack of concern from Agnie. She tried to rush Catch with her dagger. He would have killed her. I backed her down, or meant to, with my blade. Fortunately she was stopped before she reached him. I was trying to save her life and she believes I took the side of Catch. Nothing could be further from the truth, and that petulant, insane, little girl blames me."

As the Governor continues, Bromn nods occasionally, understanding the truth of what he says. "You will forgive me, Governor. I understand that Catch is an unusual thing. That unusual measures must be taken to contain him. What I object to is not treating Aleksei in the same fashion. The man has so much more to offer this town than Catch. He is a scholar and good with knowing magic. He can contain the thing with in him, save for exceptional circumstances like Catch and his unique abilities. Why would he be blamed and singled out in such a way? For what purpose?"
Altias_Bromn

Postby Glenn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Bromn kept control and that was good, a good sign. It meant they could continue and that was a good thing indeed. There was much ground to cover, after all.

"Agony blames the world, Altias, and sometimes, she's right. Usually not. I wonder, though, do you fully understand the context? You say we treat Aleksei like we would Catch. That could not be further from the truth. It is as you say," and now there would be no more glancing down to papers; his focus was on the former Governor, "that he has much to offer. So much. He is an adult where Catch is a child, a scholar where Catch is a madman. They are both victims however, Aleksei by his homeland who raised and reared him to be a weapon, a tool of the state. That he has come this far is admirable beyond belief. That he has worked towards something better is endearing. He is my friend and he is my ally and truly, he is nearly invaluable considering what we face."

Words, so many, but Bromn could handle them, unlike others. He was a Governor. He knew something about oration, about framing an argument. "That is not to say i do not wish more for Catch. We hope that through kindness and consideration, through something less brutish and cruel than what others have offered, through attention and edification we can bring him back to what he might have been if things had been different. Is this noble? Perhaps, but it also a necessity. This is Myrken. Every situation is a special one." He did not mean to lecture, nor did he have to. Bromn knew that as well as anyone. He had lived it.

"Aleksei was possessed by a Thessilanian demon entity, or group to be specific, know as the eight. This is what turned Karolinger into a monster. He was Agnieszka's beau, you remember? In some ways he was her hero. You understand the emotion she must be feeling to see this happening once more. And as I said, we do not treat them the same." He did not tap or fidget. He was just a cold steady focus with a calm smile. "We do not imprison Aleksei, though others have wanted to do just that. I have missives from the last few days sent by the most reasonable, practical people. We try to work with him. I try to balance my concern for him, my friendship for him, with the needs of Myrken, just as I try to do with Catch. In the end however, with both of them, I will not compromise if it means innocent people are hurt."

Why was Aleksei being singled out? He wasn't. "He can contain it right up until the point he can not. Our tactics work with Catch right until they work no longer. Every day we face extraordinary circumstances, Altias."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Altias_Bromn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:35 am

His lips twitched ever so slightly as the Governor called her Agony. Though the expression was short lived as he went on to talk about Aleksei. There was a firm nod as Burnie called him a friend, though that word tended to be wasted on politicians.

He listened as the other man went on to explain some of the details he had been missing in regard to Aleksei. Each piece dropped into place, making the picture more complete, but not changing the outcome. Catch and Aleksei were both dangerous under the wrong circumstance. This much he had already known. Though the same could be said, especially in Myrken, of just about everyone.

"This is Myrkenwood, Glenn," The first time he had called the man by his first name. "every day is an adventure, at the very least."

"Your theories on both men are sound. I see that you have considered all that you can, all that is available to you, in coming to these decisions. I realize that both men have facets of themselves that make them extremely dangerous. I believe my point was only, that in this situation, both men contributed to the chaos, and one initiated it. True, his motives appear to have been innocent enough, but it was potentially a deadly mistake. Things like this must be considered when dealing with Catch. Though I am sure you know this and have already made plans to deal with it in some way."

He would fold his hands into his lap then, his gaze never leaving the Governor.

"I know very well the difficult choices you face every day. In most cases your tenure here has been nothing short of remarkable. You've done a fine job, so far"

His approval was not required, even as measured as it was. Nor was it likely wanted. Burnie's opinions of him were no secret. It was fairly common knowledge that the Governor thought Altias was ineffective at best, and an active threat at worst.

"Do you require anything more about the incident?"
Altias_Bromn

Postby Glenn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:39 pm

It was not long ago that he was here with the wild man Jarrod. It was not long ago that he used reason and logic and this flow of words to no avail. With Altias, though, providing him with the proper data did the trick. He described the situation, used all the facts he had to back it up, admitted the flaws in the theory, and allowed the former Governor to make his own conclusions.

And in the end what Bromn came up with was reasonable.

"Thank you." Whether the approval was sought after or not, it was accepted. "In truth, I have deferred much of what is to be done with Catch to Cinnabar Calomel. Fairly soon, sooner by the day as events have shown you, a final decision will have to be made. I hope that Cinnabar can forestall that day completely. He is a good man, both kind and practical. I know the limitations of my own compassion when my home is in danger. I would at least try to strive for something better." That dismissive wave again. "If it fails, then at least I know we tried."

In Myrken, that was very often all that one could do.

"Nothing more on the incident, Altias, thank you, but I was hoping you would humor me a bit. Let me put it this way," as he spoke, his smile warmed somewhat. "If you have anything else you would know or ask of me, I'll humor you if you just humor one question of mine first. Could you tell me of your sister Tressa?"
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Altias_Bromn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 pm

He had been about to comment on his plans with Catch when the Governor spoke a name he had not heard, save from his own lips, in a very long time. Perhaps a bit of color drained from his face. Perhaps his hands clenched together a bit more tightly. Perhaps his mouth was suddenly so very dry.

"My sister. I, well...I do not know what you want to know. She was the youngest of us. Nearly my twin, and that of my mother. She was a Sister for many years, until she came to Myrken looking for me. I had thought to send her back, she was safer there. It was the time of the Order and no one near me was safe then. She never made it. She was taken by the Order and killed. Dhrin delivered me a lock of her hair and her ring."

For the first time since it had happened, he did not cry. He did look away from the Governor for a moment, before looking back.

"Is there a reason you ask? I am sure it is in your files somewhere."
Altias_Bromn

Postby Glenn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:03 pm

"Altias," not unkind, not in the least. The older man may not have been in tears but there was some emotion there and that was plain to see. Family was never much of a pull for Glenn, but he could recognize that was different with most others, Bromn likely more than most. "How long ago was that? How old would she be now, if you don't mind." Simple questions with a caveat added. "There are very little in the way of records from that time, you understand. The meetinghouse burned down." It was his answer to any holes though the truth of the matter was that much wasn't recorded in that era anyway. It was something Helstone had tried and failed to fix, but that Cinnabar had succeeded and Glenn even more so.

Only after he would get whatever reply Altias would give would he continue. "There may be signs and rumors and portents, Altias. Of young family. Perhaps of her. I don't want to get your hopes up yet though. I am still starting to truly analyze what is before me. Was she a free spirit, then? To follow you so? Or would you consider her tractable?"
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Altias_Bromn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:07 pm

"She's been gone, what, nearly eight years now? Something close to that. Just before They took me. She would have been twenty eight, come the Spring."

He nodded, knowing well that the Meeting house had burned. There was the strange clenching of his hands again. This was more difficult than he would have imagined, remembering. So much of it was lost, huge gaps in his memory, from trials he did not wish to recall anyway.

As Glenn continued to speak his brow rose slightly. Young family. He could only mean the girl that had spoken to Ariane. It would likely be unwise to tell Glenn that he had every intention of slitting her throat at his earliest possible convenience. Then he goes on to say, of her. He refused to believe that Glenn meant Tressa, he would not. He could not. Still he looked at the Governor with calm violet eyes and answered him as best he could.

"She was once a free spirit. Mother taught us to follow our hearts, find our joy, wherever it may be. Then she was taken away to the Sisterhood. The Sisters are taught compliance, dogma, obedience to a higher power. I can not say how free her spirit was when she died. I only have comfort that it is truly free now."

A hand then, a gentle wave. A shake of his head.

"Another more pleasant topic, hmm? I had also come with a question, Glenn. I was wondering if you might have room for me here. Something small. I miss the regiment of the government. I would never wish to occupy your chair, never again, but I do miss the flow of things sometimes. I am sure you can understand that."
Altias_Bromn

Postby Glenn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 pm

A quick bit of mental math. The girl looked sixteen or so. It was not unheard of to have a child that young, at age twelve, but certainly, she would have been known. It didn't fit the known timing of Dhrin and the cult at all. "Hm." Burnie mused over all of that quietly. Curiosity of his own took over now. "Why was she taken to the sisterhood? That seems to be the opposite of what your mother would have wanted."

It was a tangent and he couldn't stay with it for long, but such things always hit very close to home for the former-mapmaker.

Aha, there was Bromn's request. Once upon the time, when his position was not nearly as secure, Glenn had though to marginalize him, to give him busy work. Now, though? "You are an interesting case, Altias. You're full of curiosity. You want answers. You want to get to the bottom of it all, even if sometimes you rush in without all of the necessary information. Even today, you started with a certain amount and once you had the rest, you reevaluated your view. I can respect that. You're also well educated, obviously. More than almost anyone in the entire province, I imagine." Not because Altias was some sort of standout student, just because he had more opportunity.

"Tell me. What do you know about the Inquisitory?"
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Altias_Bromn » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:22 am

A few more questions about his sister. He could manage it. This was a test, you see. Not of Glenn, but of his own resolve to become better able to manage his emotions. He took a rather long breath before he answered.

"My mother would never have approved of Tressa being sent away. Sadly she died when I was 9, and Tressa was only 7. My father did the best he could to make us forget the teachings of our mother. I did my best to make sure that did not happen. Tressa was sent away because my father wished it. He felt the Sisters could change her. Maybe they did. My Father followed the One God. This was his plan for all of us, it only really took hold with Garrison."

As Glenn mentions the inquisitory it brings a puzzled look to his features, there is a subtle shake of his head then.

"To be completely honest with you? I know very little of it at all, save for having heard the name."
Altias_Bromn

Next

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse