To Begin Again

Re: To Begin Again

Postby Glenn » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:33 am

"And you spent quite some time rebelling against him." Glenn couldn't help but smile in the face of that. Bromn was containing his emotions well. He was being mature. It was to be lauded. "I can appreciate that and I can appreciate that you've attempted to do some real good through it."

And Altias had heard little about the Inquisitory. That was fine. Burnie was happy to speak of it. "When I arrived here, as I said, it was after the Meetinghouse had been destroyed. Cinnabar did his best, but much of what we were able to accomplish was reactive. Every threat we faced as if it was brand new. There was little choice. Much of what I did during my early days assisting the Governor was tracking down loose ends and documenting past events. I meant to make sure we would never be taken unprepared again.

"When I became Governor and even a little before, I couldn't keep running around like I had. Instead, I hired a number of bright young individuals, people I had met during my years in Myrken that could read and write, that had a modicum of education and inquisitive minds. I hired people from other provinces with solid educations who had very little opportunity there," younger sons looking to make a life for themselves or bright daughters from more restrictive places. Bromn would know a thing or two about that, no?

Burnie smiled. "There is not a large number of them ultimately, no, but we try to be proactive about things, to learn before the worst occurs." And hadn't he achieved that with Galacia? He knew enough about her to meet her head on in this very room, to drive her to end Altias' possession before much damage could be done. Without the research that would have been impossible. "Most stay in the office and compile notes and try to make connections. I have a few that actively go out and search for truths and information, that try to spot the dangers before they cripple us again and again. You understand the face of so many of Myrken's enemies, Altias. Cults. Drow. The Baie. So much more. You've lived through much. You care. You are curious. You are educated. You want to make a difference. If you are willing, this is how Myrken would make use of you."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Altias_Bromn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:11 am

"To rebel against my father was one of life's great joys, Glenn." There was an honest smile for that. Gorthias Bromn had been a hard man, a stubborn man. A man whose passion was contained to ruling and war. His passing was no great blow to Altias. Garrison's ruling of the Xanth Grange government brought him even less joy. There was a reason he returned home so infrequently.

As Glenn went on to explain the Inquisitory, his demeanor slowly changed. He sat more forward in his chair, his hands moving to the arms of the chair. It was clear he was paying rapt attention to what the governor had to say, and that he was very much interested.

He was right, of course. Altias had an almost unrivaled view of the enemies of Myrken. One does not fall victim to such forces again and again without learning a few things. Granted, not as much as he would have liked to have learned, like how to avoid it in the first place, but...

"It seems a wise use of resources, given Myrken's history to attract both mystical and traditional enemies. You know I have very little experience with war, and human enemies. The mystical, the dark, the unknown, that is more my field. I have a few questions regarding this opportunity. First, would I be a little desk clerk and write these files I have been hearing so much about? Or would I be more of a researcher, more out in the field, so to speak? Second, and perhaps more importantly; how do you know you can trust me, Glenn?"

He sat back in his chair then, truly curious to hear the answer.
Altias_Bromn

Postby Glenn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:41 am

Perhaps in this political environment, it would have made sense to use Bromn in some sort of ambassadorial role to Xanth Grange. Certainly he was familiar with the environs and it was a province outside the current Razasan/Thessilane divide, one that has had good relations with Myrken in the past. Obviously, though, that was not what Altias wanted. It wasn't entirely what Burnie wanted either. It would put the former governor where he couldn't see him and with a mandate that could go terribly wrong.

"I take it that despite mentioning you missed the flow of government, you would not want to be stuck behind a desk. That's fine. I'd rather use you out there. And it leads well into your second question. As I said, there are a few inquisitors that do work the field. One of these, a Junior Inquisitor, is Miss Genevieve Tolleson." Was Bromn aware of her? Burnie couldn't keep up with who knew who, not in Myrken, not amongst its prime movers and his own staff. He did not remember her ever talking about the baker, though, and perhaps, given their common interests, there would have been reason to. "She's clever, she cares, and she has been near the heart of many of Myrken's more mysterious events. That said, I am increasingly reluctant to send her out alone. I would rather she have a partner, both to get a second line of reasoning and for the safety of numbers. I think you're a rather ideal fit to serve in that role, and it means, yes, I'll have someone to keep an eye on you too. And for you to keep an eye on her. She is Thessilanian, and while I feel she is more than loyal, we are advancing towards dangerous waters. Ideally, you'll encourage each other's honesty in the name of a better Myrken."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Altias_Bromn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:58 am

"Genny?" Yes he had met her, a time or two. Most recently during the scuffle that had led to his parting of the ways with Zilliah. She seemed a nice enough woman, smart. Gifted, some said.

In the name of a better Myrken, he had said. This brought a chuckle to Bromn's lips, though it was bitter. Is that not what all of them had wanted? He had heard tales, whispers, of Gelnn Burnie's better Myrken. Some thought that it would be good, others were not so convinced. The fact remained that whatever it was that Glenn was up to, it would likely pale in comparison to what Myrken had already faced.

The once-governor steepled his long fingers before his lips, contemplating for a long moment. Dropping his hands back to his lap, he smiled, a sparkle to his violet eyes.

"I think I might enjoy that, Glenn. I am uniquely qualified for such a task. It would do me some good to be out and among the people again." There was a pause, as the smile became a smirk. "I hope that dating a councilor will not be considered a conflict of interests." A wink at that, and a not so bitter chuckle.
Altias_Bromn

Postby Glenn » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:03 am

"So long as your ultimate interest is Myrken, I see no conflict at all." Did Bromn expect to shock Burnie? He was years past that point. "I will admit that I had once, a few years ago, thought to utilize you in the direction of the arts, but Councilor Berdini is quite good at fostering such things, as good as anyone could hope here in Myrken. There's simply no need." And yes, perhaps that would have simply been a distraction for both men.

The Governor had risen to his feet, was holding out a hand. "This is a far more challenging task but I think it is what you've come looking for. I'll send word to the Inquisitory that you are to be provided with the tools of the role and access. I already have a dossier or two I hope that the pair of you can look into."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Previous

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse