An Early Morning Meeting

An Early Morning Meeting

Postby Pantha » Sun May 12, 2013 2:52 am

Promises must to be kept and as time wears on, the need to relocate his family becomes greater. His options are dwindling, as is his supply of gold. For a person who puts himself out there as an open book, he hides many dark secrets and with a mate and child around, it makes it near impossible to do what is needed to provide for them. For Zilliah, this meant lots of self mutilation and bleeding himself out for gold in front of his young daughter and her mother just isn’t up for debate. Raia and Endy have their own issues to settle before he can have them help find his glen and at this rate, he is about to let Elliot Brown help him. Such is the worries in the fae’s mind when he finds himself just outside the Meeting House this fine morning knocking on the office door of Glenn Burnie.
Pantha

Re: An Early Morning Meeting

Postby Glenn » Sun May 12, 2013 7:15 am

Zilliah was a known entity at the meetinghouse. The fae rather stood out and while his race did not necessarily brush poorly against most of the workers there, the man's personal style did. Still, there was a standing order to let him through before long if there were no pressing matters. It just so happened that Zilliah had picked a day where there were just a few more pressing matters, so he would have to wait but twenty minutes or so before being brought into the Governor's office.

As always there were papers everywhere, a chaos that was ordered only by the mind of Burnie. He knew what every paper meant, how it connected to every other In some ways it wasn't that different from how the fae kept his things. Such common ground, however, would ultimately mean little. Years ago there would have been a manic smile and a homicidal shove off a roof, perhaps. Now, though, there was mild indifference. There was much to do and it was Zilliah's lot to just get out of the way. "Good morning," he would say after a time, though not with any large amount of distaste.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Pantha » Sun May 12, 2013 12:06 pm

The wait does not come as a surprise to the fae and he seems content enough to wait for the man to let him in to see the now busy Governor. It is a comfort to the fae that he no longer has to feel and hear those thoughts in the minds of Burnie's servants, or rather, employees, as he is sure the man calls them. The past few months have had an impact on the fae's usually vibrant and gaudy garb and though what he wears isn't garish, it is made of fine fabrics and the stitching is well tailored to his lithe body. Still, he cannot hide the rest of him, the ears the eyes, and he feels them staring at him even when his back is turned to walk inside the office. He moves gracefully to the desk, smirking just a little at the greeting her gets. Without sitting down, he casually adjusts the leather satchel across his body and begins to remove small golden bars. "I cannot wait much longer. I need the deed to the house."
Pantha

Postby Glenn » Sun May 12, 2013 1:23 pm

The eyes and the ears caused some stares, yes. Of course they did, but this was Burnie's staff, not his inquisitors who would be more apt to theorize than to boo and hiss, but the meetinghouse staff, and while they were something of a more superstitious lot, they still had lived through so many strange things over the last many years, those who had survived that was. The Fae would get somewhat less than his normal reactions and even less than that due to the more subdued clothing.

"I have the deed. Unfortunately, not all loose ends were tied off. We could not contact the girl. That said, a house, unclaimed, cannot just linger forever. I'll hold your more than fair payment for another oh, three months seems fair considering how long it's been, and then we'll turn it towards Government needs. If she comes back after that," all of this said without Burnie even looking up. He was shuffling papers instead. He hadn't even looked at the gold. "we will come up with some sort of fair compromise." And if that failed, well, Zilliah was fairly good at dealing with his own problems. "It's a big house. Maybe you can give her a room if it comes to that. She's a bard from what I've heard. You like those."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Pantha » Sun May 12, 2013 3:55 pm

He pauses in his work to look up at Glenn as he speaks of waiting for months for the deed to come through. Just as casual as can be, he begins to pick up the heavy bricks of gold to place them back into his bag. "I am sorry to hear that but I cannot wait that long. There is a strange calmness to the fae, his expression almost placid as he just gives Glenn a slight bow of his head goodbye, "Consider our deal null, enjoy your afternoon." And with that the fae is heading right back out the door with his gold.
Pantha

Postby Glenn » Sun May 12, 2013 11:13 pm

"Wait," the governor spoke, hardly a deep well of enthusiam and energy. "Please don't go." This was said drily, empty, as if fighting a yawn. That was not to say Burnie was idle during this time even as the fae took back the gold and went to leave. He was writing quickly, in broad strokes, upon a piece of paper. If there was any hesitation in Zilliah at all he would be able to finish and with surprising skill and speed would fold the paper into a small swan, before throwing it in a lovely arc towards his guest.

Upon it would not be a deed, nor a conventional map, but instead a quickly sketched floorplan of the very room they were in. Burnie was marked with the words "kind and beloved governor of Myrken Wood" and the fae marked with the words "colossal ass."

"I very much like to hear myself speak, Zilliah; that is true. Far, far less so when I am repeating myself. Still, to sum up: I have the deed for you. Here, now. You may leave with it. There is a lingering claim, yes. I have planned for the eventuality of it coming up as I tend to plan for all things. Of course it would probably be best to stay on the good side of the law just in case, but then we have already spoken about that. Now come leave your gold, take your deed, and be a confused grump somewhere else."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Pantha » Mon May 13, 2013 6:11 am

He is in no rush as he makes his way to the door. Confused, yes, completely stupid, no. He expects Glenn to say something, to assume that this was either the fae being confused or trying to take a hard line in negotiations. Really, it was neither and some part of him had hoped he could just walk away and look elsewhere for a home. Being indebted to Glenn wasn't as amusing of a prospect to him now that his situation has drastically changed. He catches the little swan and slowly unfolds it to see what has been drawn and written. The words cause little change on his face, just a slight twitching of his full lips before he drops it to the floor. Lavender eyes lift to stare at Burnie in silence from the doorway, “My mate and child have returned. I do not know if I want your help anymore. The house is for them and I will not give them a home that they cannot keep or that is not safe.” No sense in trying to hide this fact from Glenn and some part of him was sure the man had already been made aware of Snowy and Zinniah's presence in town.
Pantha

Postby Glenn » Mon May 13, 2013 6:49 am

"Fatherhood suits you." It was said without expression, without inflection. There was no way of telling from his face or his voice if he meant it or not. "And I suppose that explains the clothes. You need a hat. I'll have one sent from my favorite milliner as a gift. How old's the child? I ought to supply him with something too. I'd not hear the end of it from Rhaena otherwise, I'm sure. A dragon puppet? I think one of those can be dug up from somewhere."

He would continue, smiling if only a little. "No appreciation for the swan, though? I worked hard on that. Ah, well. In short, any house of the size you desired, in the location you desired, would come with some catch or another. You'll have to forgive me for improving the safety of Myrkentown and making it a more desirable place to live. This house is available with very few caveats. I have cleared even most of those away for your sake. Yes, this is a financial transaction and yes you are offering more than a fair price, but I could likely find someone else if i tried hard enough. I've done this for you, though. Instead of appreciation for the favor I've done for you, you seem rather hostile. Is it not too much to ask that you behave yourself, Zilliah? You seem well on the way towards that even on your own."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Pantha » Tue May 14, 2013 6:53 am

“And you are a terrible liar.” A grin then from the fae, “we both know I am a terrible candidate for a father.” Hell, even Snowy knew it! “Zinniah is 10 now.” His expression darkens a moment when he mentions Rhaena. “Rhaena is not allowed near my daughter, or you for that matter. If I am hostile, it is because I do not want anything bad to happen to Snowy and Zinniah.” He has tried to talk the mother into going back into the woods, to leave this place and even him behind again but she flat-out refuses. “My child does not need gifts from either of you; she receives plenty from Treadwell as it is.” Which she then just turns right around and gives away to some urchin. His nose wrinkles up a little at this thought. “This is not a favor you are doing me, but a bribe and I would rather you think yourself being kind than have you threaten me.” It really boiled down to that and he steps slowly back towards the desk, removing a few of the gold bars from his pack again. He places them carefully on the desk, the total payment far less than he had originally laid out on the table.
Pantha

Postby Glenn » Tue May 14, 2013 7:05 am

Burnie watched the fae. This was performance art. If there was some way to capture this and put it on a stage, the world would know joy for it. It was a shame Berdini was so dubious in his proclivities and that he had a current connection to Bromn. Ah well. "Calm down you strange, little man. You really have no idea what you're doing, do you? You're scared witless. Unfortunately, my options are rather limited due to your nature." He sighed just a little. "The person that I'd want to have you speak to, you can't speak to, because you'd babble on incessantly about anything but the task at hand, things I'd probably rather you not babble on about. Instead I am going to write you a letter of introduction to Dominik Kaczmarek. He is a father as well and one who battles demons occasionally, but he is a good man, and you ought to hear his advice, which I will pay for with a small but fair stipend."

Burnie would raise a hand. "To sum up, you can't say, in the same sentence, that it is a bribe and that you would hope I feel kind about it. Do you see the contradiction there? I will forgive you on the idea that you're more scared than you've ever been. Would you like some brandy? I can't offer you him but i can offer you that." He opened a drawer and took out a small, terribly expensive bottle. "For the sake of your child, I think you ought to take me up on my offer. Dominik is a hard man but his lessons are exactly what you'd need. As for the rest, do decide what you want. If it's a bribe leave more gold. If it's not, thank me with a bit more earnestness. I treat my friends far better than those who bribe me."

He was already starting on the letter of introduction and his eyes had left Zilliah once again.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Pantha » Tue May 14, 2013 7:16 am

In his mind, he is subtracting a gram of gold for every word he is forced to listen to from Glenn's mouth. He let's the man say all he has to say, let's him misjudge the entire situation and then just smirks, “No, I do not need the help of a human to tell me how to be a father, least of all a Kaczmarek. I have seen the walking corpse of his child. I do not think there is a single human in this place who knows how to properly raise a child. Humans are like vermin, all of you, and I do no plan on treating my child just like a filthy urchin. I am not scared and I have plans to make this work.” If finding his glen and then imprisoning them both there where they will be safe is a plan. “The only thing I am concerned about is Rhaena in her mind. I will kill her if she touches my child.” He smiles sweetly to Glenn then and holds out his hand for the deed, the other slipping just one more bar onto the desk top.
Pantha

Postby Glenn » Tue May 14, 2013 7:24 am

"It's a problem you know." The governor's voice had gone quiet. "Leverage. It's the only real problem in this entire province. The monsters come. If they want something, if they need something, it can all work. Government can triumph. If they don't want anything, what is there to do? I don't need your gold, fae, though it'll be useful if the girl stakes her claim. It'd save you headaches for me to have it, but I don't need it. I don't. But the ability to know where your family is, the ability to have that sort of leverage over you after all this time. There's something to that." He held out both the deed and the letter he'd been working on.

"Enjoy your home and your voting rights, Zilliah. Do make sure to do your civic duty if and when there is a need. We do want to make Myrken a lovely place for your family."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Pantha » Tue May 14, 2013 7:36 am

“Did you not see what I did to Altias when he became a problem and a threat to me? Do not think that I am above doing the same to Snowy and my child. The child's blood should have been on my hands before she was even born. I will kill them both if you try to use them against me.” He smiles sweetly to Glenn Burnie and then takes only the deed, the letter left in Glenn's hands. He had no interest in involving a stranger in his business. “Keep the gold, you may need it before this is all done.”
Pantha

Postby Glenn » Tue May 14, 2013 7:50 am

It could not be said that he hadn't tried to be nice. Ah well. "The last gold I received, Zilliah, I made a labyrinth out of. Do keep that in mind and of course, my good man, do mind how you go." The smile would be an honest enough thing, even in the face of the fae's rancor. At least Dominik would be saved some headache. He'd be back to his work then, expecting the fae to find his own way out.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Pantha » Tue May 14, 2013 8:07 am

Not having his eye to give him away is such an amazing this. Never, never would he been able to keep his face so straight in the face of Glenn like that, especially after being riled up so. He gives Glenn a little bow and then slowly turns to walk out of the door. There were things he had to do, first and foremost, buying massive amounts of booze with some of the remaining gold. He then checks out the property listed on the deed, hauls all the goods into the building and then goes out after dark to find one Elliot Brown.
Pantha

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse