Separation Anxiety

Re: Separation Anxiety

Postby Jirai » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:11 am

Treadwell retreats to the kitchen, leaving Rhaena with Stefan. The lady had a warm smile for the latter, gesturing to a nearby chair. "Mmm, he is a bit out of sorts. You know Aloisious. Doubtless his temper will improve after a breakfast or three." Her voice just as quiet as the councilor's at first, but then she returned to a more normal volume.

"Do have a seat, Councilor Berdini. How does this lovely morning find you?"
Jirai
Op

Postby Treadwell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:27 am

Busying himself in the kitchen comes naturally to Councilor Treadwell; hailing from a. . . rotund family, save his mother (rest her soul!), Aloisius learned quite a lot about fending for himself at the table and in the kitchen.

It's one reason he's in politics, the other reason being a stage rotten underneath him in his youth. Granted, those are also the reasons he walks with a cane.

But none of that has much to do with the current business (fashioning a nigh miraculous breakfast for three--or for two and a Treadwell) or the other business (learning just what's wrong with Glenn Burnie).

Two words bounce about inside his bald head, though, two words that have naught to do with cooking and aught to do with everything else.

The Governorship.

He'd held it once, several years ago.

He'd held a comparable post before that in Westenford.

He'd hold it again if he could. Every man to bear the title and rest in the seat since. . . well, since himself had proven nearly useless or nonsensical, and some of them his dear friends! All of them possessed or overruled or too busied with their affairs to properly control the province, and--!

"Damn bacon!" barks through the meetinghouse as pig meat is hastily tugged from brick oven and flipped onto plate.

"A touch crispy, mmph mmph, a bit black 'bout the edge."

No matter, Aloisius. The Governorship. Glenn Burnie is not the man for the role. . .

And neither is Rhaena.

A few moments are spent hastily cleaning up the mess; a window shutter is cracked to allow the exit of smoke and steam. When all is ready, though, Councilor Treadwell returns, two trays nearly overflowing with breakfast foods, cups of tea, and a mostly full kettle resting on his arms and soon sliding onto the meeting table.
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Dulcie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:00 am

He had a look of concern on his face, but he'd take his seat at the table when Rhaena indicated to it, settling himself with dignity, ensuring that his walking stick was carefully rested to the side and his coat tails were all in the right place.

"The morning has found me in a rather good mood. I woke up with a plan in mind to begin my designs for your wedding party. I was thinking that perhaps orange should be one of the colors, since we're expecting the Governor back in the fall that is."

He'd look to the kitchen then, a smile for Treadwell with the breakfast. "Well done my good man, that looks absolutely wonderful."
Dulcie

Postby Jirai » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:21 am

"Ah, orange is a lovely color indeed. You always have the best taste, Councilor Berdini. Though I must admit, I hope he will be back before the leaves begin to change. We shall see."

Treadwell returned, with plenty of food. That was hardly a surprise.

"Thank you, Councilor Treadwell." She smiled at him.
Jirai
Op

Postby Treadwell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:26 am

"The both of you are quite welcome, mmph mmph." Into his chair he plumps, pulling to himself his plate and tea and utensils. Treadwell gives a stab at a too crisp stick of burnt bacon.

"At least the eggs turned out fine. Bacon's a bit burned. Bread's right there."

And that is all he says before he settles in to the futile efforts of trying to fill his belly, squinty eyes scrunched and watching the others from behind heavy glasses and fluffy brows.
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Dulcie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:30 am

Berdini would start in with the food, though really it was just pushing food around the plate before finally he would set down his fork.

"Now, as lovely as breakfast is, and thank you very much Councilor of it's preparation, I'm afraid that I can't quite find the stomach for it before I address a matter that's been troubling me since I walked in.

I believe that I heard some sort of argument, albeit a small one, over Mrs. Burnie's place here in the Meetinghouse. Is that correct?"

He'd look towards Treadwell then, clearly having something important on his mind.
Dulcie

Postby Jirai » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:37 am

Quite a lot of food, and as Treadwell consumed copious amounts of it and Stefan pushed some around on a plate, all Rhaena took was a cup of tea, gently held in gloved hands. When Berdini spoke, she took a small sip and looked towards Treadwell with a smile and a raised brow. Let him speak his piece.
Jirai
Op

Postby Treadwell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:55 am

Bacon.

This particular strip had come from one of the pigs at the Church of Tubbius. Lovely beast, but lovelier on a plate.

"Hmm? Oh. No disagreement about her place, mmph mmph."

Tink goes fork against plate.

"Councilor, I hail from a coastal city considerably larger than Myrken Wood town, and a political setting with a group of twenty-nine seated in command. I look around this meetinghouse, hm hm, and what is there at the moment?"

A glance up from plate to the room and back.

"There are some four or five of us over the province, the governor, and a handful of others involved, a total of, ooooh, perhaps nine or ten, all told. We haven't had a proper meeting of all of the council members and governor, mmph, in some time. One of us can't travel in the daylight hours, the others are absent, and that leaves, at this very moment, the three represented here."

A snort of breath.

"We don't even have a proper majority remotely available at the moment for the passing of any laws! Councilor, Madam Burnie, at this very moment, mmph mmph, Myrken Wood is as lame, bloated, and vulnerable as--well!--as I am, I might note! It would be far too easy for one person--one person!--with any head for secrecy and bribery or magical possessions and spirits or simple intrigue and daggers across throats to disturb the whole blooming province!"

Worked into a blustery fury, Aloisius finally has to hush--not because he's out of words to say but because he's out of breath, wheezing, pursily gasping, and even starting to sweat in his rage.
Treadwell

Postby Dulcie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:10 am

He sat through Treadwell's bloated speech, waiting patiently with his hand rested upon the table throughout the entire thing.

"Well that's just it isn't it? You see I come from a city in the desert, where there was no Governor, nor a Council, only the whims of the King to guide his people. While some here might find it barbaric, others would see it as a benefit to the people. When one doesn't need to go about seeking out the input of every last Councilor at the table they can get a great deal more accomplished."

He paused then, glanced towards Rhaena and then back towards Treadwell. "And, if we care to admit it to ourselves, precisely what sort of Council do you see us to be? You are correct that we haven't been called to the table in some time, and yet the Governor and his good wife there have solved problem after problem with little need to trouble us over it. You see, I rather believe we are a Council in appearances mostly, with each of us our own roles to fill to support the Governor. It is not our job to create matters a new, or to question what there is, it is simply to lend him our very support. Being as how he's away I see there no harm in Mrs. Burnie acting in his stead.

We don't need a meeting to know what is best for Myrkenwood Mister Treadwell."
Dulcie

Postby Treadwell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:31 am

"Councilor Treadwell, sir. Councilor."

Aloisius finishes off the last of his meal with a sniff and a snuff, flapping out a handkerchief from his coat to dry his face. A black suit, a worked up temper, an aged and bad heart; he needs to calm himself.

Being dry and reasonably fresh of face can help that along.

"You wished to know what was bothering me. It's been said. In my experience, politicians do not merely sit on their ever-growing arses and trust everything to just one man, or one man and his wife, or one woman. That way leads to tyranny as one answer, or, perhaps, all will be well until falling into confusion when something goes wrong, mmph mmph. Allow me to explain."

He raises a hand and handkerchief flappily toward Rhaena. A deflating wheeze flabs forth, leaving him slumped in his chair.

"Take our dear Mrs. Burnie here, for instance. She, hmm hmm, is doing an exemplary job of keeping up with her husband's state of affairs. However, sir, she is not the Governor, nor you, nor I, though I've sat the post in the past. Governor Glenn Burnie is absent. What if some ruffian stole in and assaulted her, hmm hmm, or she took violently ill, or a random magician came through and took over her wits and senses? The rest of us would be none the wiser, and Myrken would fall to chaos in short order."

Aloisius frowns, his jowls sagging beneath that pillowy beard.

"Councilor Berdini, surely you won't lead me to fancy that I'm the only Council member who cares enough about the state of our home to do more than simply sit here and do nothing until called like faithful, oblivious pets, mmph mmph?"
Treadwell

Postby Jirai » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 pm

"Peace, gentlemen." Rhaena murmured, setting her teacup down on the table. "We've no need to argue amongst ourselves here, do we?" Hands folded neatly in her lap, she regarded the two councilors.

"Now. Glenn is not here right now, but I am - and I am sure that by now you both understand why he trusts me to handle things in his absence. You, sirs, are both here, two of the four Councilors. Ser Goldenhair rarely leaves his grove and Councilor D'Anclaude is indisposed during the day. That has not been a concern for years, as the Foundation has well managed commerce affairs for him. Granted, one third of our defense council is absent at the moment, but the Marshall is here to stand in the Chairwoman's place as needed."

She looked first at Berdini, and then at Treadwell. "So I ask you - are things really as bad as all of that, Aloisious?"
Jirai
Op

Postby Treadwell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:38 pm

She speaks.

Aloisius Treadwell listens, briefly scritching inside his ear with a plump pinky finger, scratching at a tuft of white hair.

"I suppose not. That doesn't mean I must enjoy such. Now, I've had my breakfast. All of my papers are in order, mmph mmph. My office is securely locked. It's growing far too hot to keep sitting in here."

He rouses to his feet and cane, flapping his hat briefly beside his head.

"Everything's cleaned up and taken care of in the kitchen, too. Madam, I would much appreciate information, mmph mmph, daily, or every two or three days at the longest, of how everything goes and where I am needed. As Councilor, I am here to assist the Governor or his chief representative--"

which should be me, the senior-most councilor at the table and the only one with experience in the position!

"and I should think that Councilor Berdini feels the same. Councilor, do pardon my outburst of earlier. Good day, both of you."

With that, and another partial bow to the both of them, Treadwell pushes in his chair and begins ambling for the door, a hand atop his gurgling gut.
Treadwell

Postby Dulcie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:01 am

It seemed that he was hardly needed in the conversation at all, his green eyed gaze trailing after the other Councilor as he left.

"And a good day to you Councilor Treadwell." He'd say politely, looking back to Rhaena before he shook his head and stood up from the table.

"He'll cause you trouble yet you know. Harmless mostly, but I dare say that won't be the last outburst you hear from the man."
Dulcie

Postby Jirai » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:38 am

"But of course, Councilor Treadwell. I shall make sure that you receive a written update regularly." See, the lady could be perfectly accommodating. And she would be. "Do enjoy the rest of your day, Councilor."

And after the rotund man was well gone, she, too, would stand, smiling at the remaining councilor. "You are right, of course, Stefan. But I have you and I have Ariane. Goldenhair and D'anclaude aren't likely to be an issue, and Agnieszka is well occupied in Thessilane for the moment. And I have not even begun to lay everything I know about our dear taxman out on the table."
Jirai
Op

Postby Dulcie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:35 am

"I do hope you're right. I would hate to see him meddling in things that he truly does not understand." He bowed his head to Rhaena then. "If you'll excuse me, I'll be on my way. I'm afraid I've rather been put off of my breakfast and it will be some time before my mind has quieted enough to get any sort of work done."
Dulcie

Previous

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse