Separation Anxiety

Separation Anxiety

Postby Glenn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:01 am

The mighty bureaucracy of Myrken Wood. Burnie followed from Calomel who followed from Helstone. Each added something to this fine body of government workers, carpetbaggers, and competent hanger-oners. The best and brightest (or at least highest ranked) were assembled now in a meeting room of the Meetinghouse. Representatives were there from the Constabulary, the Inquisitory, the Governor's Office, the Foundation, and a few representatives of the meager staffs of the Council themselves.

"A letter arrived recently from Razasan. As some of you may remember, due to blatant, irritating and untimely meddling from an ultimately forgettable upstart brat," because this was, of course, how Glenn spoke professionally, "my predecessor was encouraged strongly to travel south to pledge homage to the throne as a (not so) newly 'appointed' Governor. I've held off such a tedious encumbrance for as long as was politically expedient myself, but given the current climate, I would be making a mistake that might cost all of us if i do not go now. Obviously, while there," the Governor said calmly as he looked across the meeting room, the only one standing, or pacing slightly as the case might be, "I will do my utmost to increase our standing and holdings and to decrease the chances of unasked for intervention. Hopefully I can manage this without poisoning anyone or engaging in any duels, but if the situation is unavoidable, I'll represent Myrken well." He did not, perhaps, sound as if he was taking this too seriously. The need was great, however, and the timing was right now that the storyteller was in chains. She'd be there for him to properly interrogate when he returned.

For now he continued on, confident and increasingly impatient. "Things should run smoothly in my absence, which I think should not be more than a few weeks at the very most. I am taking two notaries with me, just in case something happens to one or the other, as well as fast riders and even some messenger birds we're going to try out. I would like letters sent to me with frequent updates, yes, but also for copies to be sent to Rhaena, who will project to me the message with immediacy. For any minor matter, assume her response has come from me directly." He could sense a bit of grumbling there and raised a hand to silence it. "I will not have potential responses unnecessarily slowed. This is Myrken. We work with what we have and we do whatever works and in this situation, you all know this works. That said, for anything more official, she will project the message to me which will also be sent in more conventional ways and you may at that point wait for my response. If something is immediately pressing and of that dire a level, well... that is why we have a Council, no? In all other eventualities, I expect for you good people to keep things well run for the next few weeks. I have every faith in all of you else you would not be in your positions." He was already towards the door. "Anyhow, I assure you that you'll be enjoying yourselves here far more than I will be there." He was at the door already, starting to step through it, "I am off to complete my preparations and begin my journey. Good day."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Re: Separation Anxiety

Postby Jirai » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:19 am

To Councilors Berdini, Treadwell, Goldenhair and D'anclaude; to Marshall Emory; Greetings

As you are doubtless aware, the Governor returned from Razasan last night. Unfortunately, in the last few days something else has come up that requires his immediate attention.

While he is away, please continue directing matters which require the Governor's input to me so that I may forward them with immediacy. If you have any questions, please come see me at the Meetinghouse at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

Rhaena Burnie
Jirai
Op

Postby Carnath-Emory » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:59 am

She does not, not quite, crush the page between her fingers.

Radeorin is so good these days with his letters; so very quick. Within the hour, both copies are finished, sanded and sealed.

Within the day, her runner has them to their destinations.
Carnath-Emory

Postby Treadwell » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:32 am

It is the morning after the ball, and a letter arrives for the Councilor of Revenue and Finance at his house.

He is tired.

He is sleepy.

He's ravenous, of course, despite having just eaten enough to feed a family of four or five.

He's also absent from the Church of Tubbius this fine morning, having woken up just one big, round ache from the spins on the dance floor and a most uncomfortable tumble down a few steps at home last night in a late night pursuit of a mug of milk from the kitchen.

Glasses go on his face where he lies in bed, now, in an orange pajama one-piece jumper. A frown joins them there in short order.

"No man in a position of government authority, mmph mmph, ought to let his wife take over the duties for him, unless he's completely incapacitated and unable to do a blooming thing, hmm hmm! Even then, what are that fellow's councilors and aides for, hmm?"

The note is crumpled and lightly tossed atop the tray his breakfast had nearly overflowed a bit ago.

To his footing he wobbles, short of breath and red of face, and then he ultimately seats himself at a writing desk opposite his bed. In his usual sloppy, heavy, smeary script he pens a reply, to go out with a few shillings' extra pay to the runner before lunch.

Mrs. Burnie. . . .

Hmph. A new-fangled abbreviation, that. "Mistress" is better--longer, more formal--but he is a little low on ink.

= = = = = = =

Mrs. Burnie,

I do beg your pardon in this matter, but we have a Ruling Council here in Myrken for a reason, which is to settle, through as reasonable discussion as necessary among us, any matters involving the governing of Myrken Wood, as each of our faculties and skills direct, so, by and large, such matters do not, generally, require the Governor's attention on a daily basis, and, as senior-most Councilor here, I feel I must note that, barring some disastrous ruination of Myrken society, land, taxation, or the arts that might expand to calamitous proportions and threaten all of us, as well as barring effects that must absolutely require the Governor's signature from his own hand, such as treaties of war or peace with other realms be they human or fae or aught else, we will get along quite well among ourselves and do nothing to besmirch the names of the Governor, of the Council members, of the people of this province, or of the many-blessed Myrken Wood itself, and, thus, I bid you good day.

From my estate and by my own hand,
This day the thirtieth of the sixth month, 213,
Aloisius Horatio Treadwell
Councilor of Revenue and Finance, former Councilor of Administrative Sanctions, former Governor, Myrken Wood town, Myrken Wood province
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Jirai » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:40 am

To Councilor Treadwell; Greetings

It is by no means my intent to interfere with the actions of the council. Please refer to Governor Burnie's requests during the meeting on the third of June for clarification about his intentions in this matter. One of your staff was in attendance and should have provided you with the relevant minutes of that meeting. If they failed to do so, please come and see me and I shall make my copy of the minutes available to you.

Sincerely,

Rhaena Burnie
Jirai
Op

Postby Dulcie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:20 am

The letter arrived at the Gilded Lily, handed to Stefan Berdini, the Councilor of the Arts with a shaking hand from one his servants. The man was shooed away and the letter unfolded. An interesting turn of events it seemed. It was rather unorthodox for a Mistress of a Governor to take control of her lover's affairs while he's away on business.

He might have objected, had he cared enough to do so, but it seemed that this was a rather good opportunity for some chaos, and a letter would be penned in reply.

"Dearest Miss Olwak,

How very unexpected that Governor Burnie should be called away on business so soon after he had just returned. I noticed that you both seemed to have stepped away from the ball early. How very disappointing. I do expect that the matters must be quite grave to take him away again so quickly.

I must admit that I find your request to forward our business through you is rather unusual, however as an artist I am regularly inspired by the unusual. Please call upon me if you are in need of anything my lady. You will find that you have my full support.

I do hope that Governor Burnie returns soon and in good health.

With Kindest Regards,

Councilor Berdini"
Dulcie

Postby Treadwell » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:12 pm

Nearing the first hour of the morning, the third day of the seventh month, 213.

Sometimes, a man just can't sleep.

"A note for you, Councilor. It came here a couple of days ago or so, from the Governor's house."

The fluffy ball at the end of a yellow night cap bounces against Treadwell's beard as the Councilor in question peers up from a book of fairy tales in his study at home. A lantern burns warmly nearby on a desk, illuminating the room just enough to be visible to Councilor and butler.

"A couple of days ago! Give me that, mmph mmph. You're free to go, and good night."

"And the lady?"

"Alice can sleep well enough on her own. I'm not quite tired, yet. Now, shoo, go."

Fairy tales are set aside, and when Aloisius is alone. . . .

It is by no means my intent to interfere with the actions of the council.

"A blithering, blathering lie in the first sentence, mmph mmph! There's not a soul that starts a note with such unless his meaning's quite the opposite! Hmph. It's just like saying, 'Oh, dear boy, not to hurt your feelings,' mmph, or such rot!"

More scrutiny through massy glasses at a note held close to his face.

"'My copy of the minutes.' More rubbish. Aloisius, you've been in politics long enough to know that any notations kept in a council meeting are as suspect and suspicious, hmm hmm, as the men at the meeting. And her copy! Her copy! She's the Governor's blooming wife, or mistress, or whatever business she claims. She deserves no part, no hand, in the affairs in the meetinghouse."

A snort of breath sees his quivery gut, already pooching out of an unbuttoned hole in the front of his pajamas, jiggling mightily.

"Aloisius Horatio Treadwell, something is as foul and amiss here as the reek of the communal waste pots behind the west-end fish market back home. You haven't spent over forty years amid councilors and governors and mayors and such to be blind to something being very wrong here."

To his feet the Councilor huffs and puffs and worms, pausing once upright to button his pajamas properly.

"Insanity, Councilor, pure lunacy. My cane? There!" A thump of the walking stick in question into the plush carpet under his slippered feet. A careful lifting of the lantern from the desk later. . . .

"Madness, letting womenfolks direct their husbands' affairs over a province. The sort of stuff that merits being locked up in a spot like old Beckham's out near Herford's Tavern out by the Plaza in Westenford, hmm hmm, with all the folks fancying themselves heads of state and famous folks and the like. But now, dear old man. . . what to do about Glenn Burnie's bothersome missus? How to figure out what's really happening here, hmm hmm?"

The morning, just after dawn and well before breakfast, would find a somber, sober, black-suited Aloisius Treadwell at the Meetinghouse, per usual, standing at the head of the meeting table with his hands cupped over the head of his cane, awaiting the appearance of any other councilors, the governor, or, the Creator forbid, the governor's missus.
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Jirai » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:31 am

It is utterly impossible for someone of Treadwell's size to travel unnoticed around Myrkentown. Doubly so when there are a few folk well compensated to keep half an eye on Myrken's largest councilor. That was probably unnecessary - Treadwell could hardly move quickly, after all - but it had been done all the same.

The result would be the elegantly clad woman sweeping into room not long at all after the Councilor had arrived. Despite the early hour, both gown and hair were immaculate, though perhaps a little less intricate that might have otherwise been the case. She came alone (having left her guards at the doorway) and closed the door firmly behind her before turning to greet Treadwell with a smile.

"Councilor. What a surprise to see you here so early in the day."
Jirai
Op

Postby Treadwell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:03 am

"Madam."

Treadwell manages the slightest of bows, stabilized by his cane, but remains standing, refusing to take a seat just yet. Good manners and courtly raising taught him that much about being around women, at least.

"I work here, do I not? I've every right to be within these walls, mmph mmph. There's a kitchen to the right where I can fashion myself a spot of breakfast. Tax documents are in there," he wags a pudgy pointer over the opposite shoulder, toward his office with its specially widened, rounded door, something like a porthole more than a door. "As are maps, various historical records, a scarf I've neglected to take home since the winter, and a rather comfortable seat I fashioned in my own time, hmm hmm."

He then waves at the nearest of chairs before stepping behind it and gently lifting it up and pulling it back. A flabby right hand pats the side of the seat, and then he sidesteps back to his place.

"Do have a seat, hmm? As sole representative of the Myrken Wood Ruling Council in these walls at the moment, mmph mmph, I humbly ask what business you have at present?"

Tiny eyes squintily study the woman's skirts and work up from there, peering out from under those floofy brows and that bald, glazed dome above.
Treadwell

Postby Jirai » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:23 am

"Of course you have a right to be here, Councilor." She murmured, moving around to the chair he had pulled out. "But you must admit that you rarely avail yourself of that right so early in the morning." She seated herself with a nod of thanks for the rotund man, smoothing her skirts out with lace-gloved hands. His question, however, has her lifting a brow and she gave a small sigh.

"Aloisious. As chair of the Foundation, my office is just over there." A tilt of her head to indicate the correct direction. "As it has been for some three years now. Really, are you certain you are feeling alright? Perhaps you should have a seat."
Jirai
Op

Postby Treadwell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:41 am

"You quite misunderstand me, madam, mmph mmph, and I am quite well, but I thank you."

Gut overlaps table's edge and cane's head as he leans forward a little, his right hand finding comfy solace amid the softness of the hat he'd removed and set nearby.

"The Foundation is quite appreciated and is a most important part of Myrken society, but I referred solely to the Council members and Governor in my statement, mmph mmph, which are sorely lacking in this building at the moment. Where is our dear Governor Burnie, hmm hmm, and how is he? Fallen ill? Fallen busy? Should any of our good citizens have questions and concerns, madam, it would be wise for me to have an answer at the ready, would it not, hmm hmm?"

At that, he takes hat in hand, waving it toward the kitchen entrance.

"Do forgive me, madam. I mean not to be so blunt, so crude. I forget myself. It's a failing of mine at certain times of day, given I stay so hungry! Might you care for a bit of something to eat, mmph mmph, as we talk?"
Treadwell

Postby Dulcie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:47 am

The tap of the cane preceded the Councilor's entrance as Stefan Berdini made his way up to the meetinghouse. Despite some presumptions made about his dedication to his work, Berdini did put a good measure of care into his proceedings, and at the moment he was between projects, which meant that he needed to spend some time at the meetinghouse to determine what his next venture would be. Perhaps a wedding party?

He had only just opened the door when already he could hear strained voices. The heavy mmph-mmph sound of a certain fat tax-man and the lovely trill of Rhaena's voice. An interesting situation to walk in on. He turned the corner and offered the pair one of his dashing smiles.

"Well, it seems as if I've walked in on quite a conversation. Councilor Treadwell, were you aware that you are speaking to Governor Burnie's wife? It seems the pair have eloped with hardly an eye in Myrken to witness it. I would say congratulations are in order rather than challenges, wouldn't you say?"
Dulcie

Postby Jirai » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:28 am

"As I said in the letter I sent your office, Glenn was called out of town." Quite polite, even as she repeats what has already been said. "Really, Aloisious, it's not at all different from when he was in Razasan these past few weeks. Why the sudden trouble?"

He wants breakfast, and this is not at all surprising. "I wouldn't mind some tea, thank you." Words punctuated by the tap of a cane and the lady glanced up as another councilor entered the room. "Good morning, Councilor Berdini." She greeted his arrival with a smile. "You are just in time to join us for breakfast."
Jirai
Op

Postby Treadwell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:37 am

"Tea."

The fleshy, flabby lips, usually so busily flapping, merely tighten and draw into a line.

The sudden trouble is as plain as the Councilor's girth: no correspondence from the Governor himself to a soul, merely a note from his wife who claims to have the ability to forward messages.

"A moment, then?"

So, belly a-rumble as he turns to plod to the kitchen, cane in hand and hat being plumped atop his head, Aloisius Treadwell makes his exit before he runs off at the mouth. At the very least, he takes time to give a nod to his proper colleague on the way. "Councilor."

Something is most certainly, woefully, horribly wrong with this situation, Tready thinks, as he lets the door to the kitchen clunk shut behind him.

"Now, Aloisius, tea. Eggs, there. A few cuts of bread, still fresh."

A sniff. A snort.

"Bacon?"

A nod.

"Bacon. Pan. Utensils and tools there. Now, some way to start a fire to cook with, hmm?"
Treadwell

Postby Dulcie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:05 am

"Breakfast sounds quite lovely, thank you." He smiled to the pair of them, eyeing Treadwell as he goes toddling off. "I'll have whatever you're having Councilor." He called out after the passing man before moving to step in closer towards Rhaena.

"I do hope there wasn't any sort of trouble before I arrived? The Councilor seems displeased." He said to the lady quietly, taking care to make sure that Treadwell did not over hear.
Dulcie

Next

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse