Council Meeting: 213/8

Re: Council Meeting: 213/8

Postby Dulcie » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:50 am

The Councilor looked rather disappointed at the outcome of events. Especially as Agnie's vote was counted before consultation with Ariane. He'd drum his fingers upon the table top, considering the information that was presented.

"I much agree with Lady Carnath-Emory." He said finally, looking in her direction. "It's highly unlikely that the Governor has passed away. Mrs. Burnie discussed that he was gone on important business, it's not unreasonable to expect that he may be difficult to reach. I do think however that in the meantime, if we are not to elect a temporary Governor, that we should begin meeting as a Council more frequently, to address the matters of the town."
Dulcie

Postby channe » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:11 am

She reaches forward, and, while Ariane and Berdini are talking, snags a cucumber sandwich and chomps on it in a rather ladylike fashion. "Then we'll elect a temporary Vice-Governor," says Agnie, smoothly. "I think Councilor Treadwell's idea is very intelligent. To be honest, most of the working-people of the town have had it up to their necks with absentee Governors, contactable or no. And I think in our present time of crisis, Glenn needs someone he can trust manning the fort that isn't his wife. After all, Vice-Governor is what he did for Calomel during his... long silence. And I would be agreeable to take the reins until he gets back."

She looks at Ariane. "Ariane, I just don't know what is with you these days," she says, sweetly. "Don't forget that, head of government or no, I have exactly the same power over the military --" and she chortles -- "Such that it is, if you want to call it that, that I do in my current position. I command. You follow my orders. You can bitch and moan and whine about it all you want, but you know you agreed to it when Governor Burnie appointed you, so you have to had trust me then, even if you're... different. And I don't see what I've done to betray that trust since you started wearing frilly dresses. You have command of the Militia. You have not betrayed that command." That, at least, is true. "So I won't betray you, no matter how snarky you get with me. Stop being alarmist, for Godsake."

And then, to Berdini: "If you want regular council meetings, that's great. Fine. But that's not what we're here for. Please get back to the agenda. And if you could, kindly, begin to write Goldenhair and Romanova and get them to freaking come, ok?"

And then, she turns to the other three, and takes a breath. "Let's look at what we have here. It doesn't matter what that parchment says. I didn't get one, and Treadwell didn't get one, and we're the only two on this council who don't call Mistress Burnie our 'Lady.' I think you're all off your rocker, but if you want to go and fawn at her feet and go to her balls, that's fine, nobody's gonna stop you. But she shouldn't have control of the government and she shouldn't have control of the Inquisitory. Which she does. To be honest, Ariane, I do trust you, but anyone literate can write a stupid letter. Anyone can say, oh, this is right, or oh, Glenn Burnie wants this, but he did not go through the proper channels to pass power on when he left. How do I know he's all right? I don't. You can't prove it. I have the energy, the drive, the knowledge and the effort to serve as Vice-Governor until Glenn Burnie can produce himself -- IN PERSON -- for our inspection and tell him what he wants OUT OF HIS OWN FREAKING MOUTH."
channe

Postby Treadwell » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:16 am

A snort of pipe smoke. A hack in the throat.

Beady eyes longingly study the spread of food before the Council.

Unlike the meetings at home in Westenford, this is no place for lunch and dessert.

Instead, Tready's left hand fumbles for a quill, inking it and scratching out a quick diagram on paper. The old taxman studies it briefly and slowly nods, his lips rolling together around his pipe stem as he puffs out another fluff of smoke.

A light tap-tap of cane tip to the table's edge, though, follows Agnieszka's speech.

"Begging pardon of all, we simply must have a resolution, hmm hmm. I think I have one that we can agree upon, mmph mmph. If I may?"

Point of cane tip to Agnie.

"Allow me to examine facts as we know them, for a moment, hmm. Chairwoman River has a suitable statement, that of electing a temporary Vice-Governor. Whether called 'Vice-Governor,' 'Interim Governor,' or what-not, this title, hmm hmm, has been given before, numerous times, though to date only at a Governor's passing or much extended absence, mmph mmph. She has set herself forth as a candidate."

A grump in the throat.

"No man seated as a Councilor at the moment is ideal for this position, at this moment, either by other duties or by habitual absences from these proceedings, mmph mmph. Were our Chairwoman given the Vice-Governorship, however, I admit that it would leave a hole to be filled: that of Chair of the Myrken Wood Defense Committee."

Foof of smoke, again; fat fingers wander absently toward a sandwich too close, but drum to a stop on the wooden table.

"We have seen that, in the space of recent weeks, the Militia has been managed well. This is no slight upon the Chairwoman's record, no smudge in her ledger, mmph mmph. This is a statement showing the capability, the greatness, with which our resident Marshal has overseen the daily operations. I, for one, applaud her on her much-lauded uniform order she has placed that will make our men quite, quite brilliant; folks, mmph mmph, have been discussing it throughout the town, on and off, these last days, and the order's still in the shop!"

A smile slips over those fleshy lips, ruddy amid the white cloud of beard and mustache.

"I propose two changes, to be approved as desired, but both are connected."

Tap of cane tip to table.

"The first, I have stated already. Foremost, Agnieszka River be promoted from Chair of the Myrken Wood Defense Committee to the Vice-Governorship until such time that Governor Burnie returns safe and sound, mmph mmph. That should be no surprise. She is a long-standing friend of the Lady Rhaena herself, she owns land in Myrken Wood as custom dictates, and I firmly believe that the currently seated, currently present Councilors are fully capable of offering their whole support, at least, mmph mmph, in the temporary fashion 'til our dear Governor Burnie returns. She is no 'warlord.' Hmph."

Light tap again.

"The second, in recognition of her capabilities, to promote Ariane Carnath-Emory from Marshal to standing Chair of Myrken Wood's Defense Committee. This would, of course, require the eventual-but-soon Council-supported appointment of, oh, a new Marshal and, say, one or two suitable committee members beneath her, hm hm, as there is no singular person in charge of our defenses, mmph mmph, but that's quite preferable to not having our most important leadership position clearly accountable for in case of a crisis, emergency, hmm hmm, or surprise visit from the Crown."

Finally, pudgy fingers close on a sandwich, hefting it in hand. The cane is set aside, the pipe removed, and the sandwich inserted for a quick bite, chew, and gulp of a swallow.

"These two have my trust quite well. I'm quite convinced from what I know of these individuals, mmph, that such appointments would not neglect our realms of artistic endeavors, tax collection, military, commerce, and forestry affairs. If we truly wish for our young ladies of Myrken Wood to see what they can aspire to be, Councilor Berdini, hmm hmm, why only show them one example, the Lady Rhaena? Why not show them three?"

Another bite at the sandwich.

"Mmwellmm?" comes out muffled around mouthful of cucumbers. A flabby hand waggles gently toward Councilor Berdini, then to Ariane, and then Agnieszka.
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Dulcie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:27 am

There was a great deal to consider when it came to this matter. There was the Chairwoman who nominated herself and Stefan had already stabbed himself in the foot when he was exemplifying how Treadwell was unsuitable for the seat. Things weren't going to work out in the way that he desired, but he'd look at Agniezka and then Ariane and consider both women. There were certainly advantages to this arrangement, as well as disadvantages. Agnie was often hot headed and quick to action. Traits he rather enjoyed seeing played out.

With a surprising smile he'd look to the group and bow his head in acceptance of the proposal. "I believe Councilor Treadwell and I have found terms that we both seem suitable. Lady Kaczmarek, I do believe you have the strength and fortitude of any man and as a friend of the Burnies I imagine you could step into the role nicely. As for Lady Carnath-Emory, I have heard nothing but wonderous stories about your talent with a blade. I am sure our militia will be safe in your hands."

And even if none of that was true, the show was bound to be entertaining.
Dulcie

Postby Carnath-Emory » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Ink upon the page, gathering and soaking and blossoming, sometimes, amongst its thirsty texture. It requires, sometimes, a moment's encouragement from the quill's sharp nib; an occasional embellishment some delicate little touch that her hand is not adverse to providing. Meantime, the lady listens - as one argument encounters another, as one statement stonewalls the next; listens to the rich timbre of a chairwoman's laughter, interspersed between her words; lifts a cool-eyed glance towards Berdini, when that councilor's piece concludes.

"Mark my objection to the overthrow of a seated Governor by the Council which was assembled by his own writ." A tilt of grey eyes between one man - one woman - and the next. "The turmoil which you mean to create is on your hands; it is my regret that it will be Myrken - as ever - which suffers the consequences of it."

A quartered sandwich, set neatly back upon its plate.

"As to your wholesale abandonment of structure and formality, and your insistence upon reorganising the Council in the very moment that it would appear to want for stability: I would sooner retain the position that I hold now - misunderstood though it seems to be - than subject the Militia to another change of command in so short a passage of time. These men are volunteers, lending their few free hours each week to the cause of Myrkenfolk's security; they are learning, they are learning well, they are achieving things not before seen in this province and I will not see that work undone by ill-informed, careless or ignorant hands. I have no ambition towards power -- " a quiet glance for the Chairwoman " -- and they have earned better than such thoughtless treatment."
Carnath-Emory

Postby channe » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:53 pm

"... thoughtless treatment."

A pause, as she looks at Ariane. "There has been a vote all called for. Two votes for, and Defense seems to be deadlocked, one for, one against. Fine. The motion still passes, whether or not you say yes or no. This is far from thoughtless, as you all have been given a voice in this, unlike past passing of governors." A pause, as she realizes exactly what she's done. A moment, to expel a breath --

-- and to round on Ariane with angry eyes, with a second look to Berdini. "I know I can't change your mind, Ariane. You're no longer your own person; nor are you, ser Berdini. You eat an' breathe at the whim of your pretty Lady." And then she looks at Treadwell. "But there are still those of us who believe in the --" A pause, as if she's been learning the word -- "sovereignty of self and our own decisions. Therefore. I've been voted Vice-Governor. And the moment you produce Glenn Burnie, and prove conclusively that he doesn't live and breathe at the whim of Rhaena his wife, I will step down. Until then, let's let Glenn deal with his... business elsewhere and I'll take care of the business here. I'm sure that if this is the... overthrow... you think it is, he'll come back and fuck me up right good. But somehow I think that ain't gonna happen."

If her gut, her friends and the shit she saw at Golben was true. "Until then, I'll remain in the position of Chairwoman until such time that we can find a proper replacement." A flicker of her eyes to the other four. There is steel there.
channe

Postby Treadwell » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:17 pm

"I reckon that works, then, madam Vice-Governor, mmph mmph! Let it be known that the Vice-Governor has elected to maintain her position as Chairwoman of Defense--something acceptable by the by-laws of this very province in detailing the, hmm hmm, position of Interim Governor--and that our current Marshal has elected to maintain her position, as well!"

The burned out pipe is set down. There is another chomp of teeth into sandwich, and then a hasty swallowing backed by a hasty draining of lukewarm tea.

"Also let it be known that lukewarm tea is rather disgusting, mmph mmph. Hot or cold, hmm? Splendid. If it's the same as aught else around it. . . ."

Treadwell chuckles and shakes his head.

"Very well. I'll record all of this officially in the logs here in a bit, hmm hmm, and see to it that Jack gets the message to start hollering it out in the town come the morning. If we've no other business, then, I move that we adjourn this meeting. I'm right near starving, mmph mmph, and this food here is not simply going to waste."
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Previous

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse